Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Regis

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Curia Regis

He shrugs "I have not tried this bottle yet. I have gotten several bottles from the cellar of Mortain brought back after Mar finished in Normandy. The man was an idiot, but he had a taste for wine." He pops the cork and pours two goblets of the wine. He paused thoughtfully, "We can speak against the claim if he puts it forward again. Edgar always listens to my council even if he does not always agree in the end and more voices will not got amidst."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Waltheof grind through the braids of his beard. “Then let us try it together, yes?” He says reaching for one of the goblets, truth be told he rarely drank wine. His father had favored ale, but today would be an exception. “I have a mind to agree to such a statement, and my word yet carries weight among the Saxon Earls. If d’Avranches raises a claim again Edgar may be swayed by the word of two prominent lords, though your influence over the King’s mind is surly greater than my own.” He licked his teeth thoughtfully. “But perhaps you might help me in another way? And I you if you’ve the mind.” He questioned, eyebrow raised.

Gerold raises an eyebrow thoughtfully wondering what this man wanted, "perhaps I can what do you have in mind?" He paused taking a sip of the wine as he let the man speak.

He took a gulp of wine, wiping the liquid from his mustache. “As I said, my father Siward was once Earl of all Northumbria, Cumberland, and Westmoreland. Before Tostig Godwinson was granted my father’s processions in my stead many years ago.” He explained. “In recompense I would seek a return of some of my families former estates in Yorkshire, to connect my current lands in central Yorkshire with the eastern sea.” He leaned back in his seat. “As you’ve said you are a respected commodity within the King’s council perhaps you could aid me in this reclamation process.”

Gerold taps the arm of his chair considering the mans words. In truth having Waltheof as a freind would be a benefit. "I can speak in favor of your claim Earl Waltheof. That I can do, but I do need to know what is in it for me?" He had some options in mind a formal alliance with the earl and a marriage to one of his grandchildren, or aid when he went back to deal with the Welsh still he wanted to know what this man had in mind.

Waltheof cracked his knuckles, tapping one foot rhythmically. He took a fair few moments pondering the questioning and drinking wine. “I’ve three daughters, one by my Christain wife Osulf’s daughter, and the other two by my wife bound by danish law. They are young girls now, but in time they might be betrothed to one of your grandchildren and we’d in time, to bind our houses.” He ran a hand through his hair, a formal alliance with the badgers could be good for Siwardson, but it could overextend his play. “Or perhaps you seek an alternative agreement?”

"My Children both have sons, and daughters but it is some time before they will be eligible to wed." Gerold says considering the man, "I intend to go back into Wales soon. The peoples raids on my land need to be put to an end. Support me in that, and you will get my voice in support for your claim, and when the time comes that my grandchildren are able to wed we can discuss a formal union of our houses." He pauses now taking another sip of wine and studies the other man his face impassive looking for a reaction.

The Earl nodded dutifully, sipping the last of his wine. “Support my claim to my father’s inheritance and you shall have a fair number of my men in your next foray into Wales, more depending on how successful our petition is.” Waltheof’s lands in the south were safe enough, as it were he had little need of his men there, and would only be overly concerned with the defense of his prospective territories in Yorkshire. “In addition you shall find Northampton as a loyal friend, Gerald.”
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 15, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

"Very well then," he says raising a glass. "To a strong partnership." With Waltheof adding troops to the cause he should have no trouble seeing Gwent subdued, and speaking in the lords favor would be easy enough.

The King summons his council to meet and Winchester to discuss the Danish threat.

Mar arrives at the council to take his postion as the kings Marshal.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Arundel turned up at the council meeting. It was to his understanding that Marshal Bageard had died in Wales, and so the presence of Mar's new face at the table was not unexpected.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

William Giffard shows up for the council meeting, taking his seat with the other councilors.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"My lords. By God's grace, I am happy to report my success in Gwynedd. Their King paid homage and tribute to me, and a lasting peace has been established on the northern marches."

Edgar figured he would broach the good news first. It was better to begin with a positive.

"The feud between Lord De Clare and Lord Mowbray has also reached a temporary resolution. The armies have been disbanded, and terms given. Lord Mowbray languishes in my dungeon for his murder of my brother Gilbert."

Mar grimaces at the last bit if news. He had heard that Gilbert de Clare had died after he departed the camp in the North. He had not known Gilbert well and the few times he interacted with the man he had the impression Gilbert disliked him. Still he had been Edgar's brother in law and his murder was not good news. Now as a relative new comer to this council Mar sits listening to the other adviors before adding his voice.

"Well Your Grace, it's a relief to hear that some things, at least, have gone right for the kingdom." Arundel said from his seat. "But it appears that every time we put out one fire, another erupts. You've prevailed over the King of Gwynedd, but I heard that the southern expedition did not go half as well." He glanced at Mar. "And we have put an end to Mowbray and Clare's feud, at least for the time being, but now the Danes descend upon England's northern shore once more. Do we know how numerous they are and whether it is aspirations of pillage or conquest that have brought them here?"

Mar glances up to the earl of Arundel. Some said now that Gerold was dead Arundel was the primer councilor, but Mar himself thought little of the relative prestige of the members of this cabinet. "I had heard that there were raids on the Northern shore, but I had not heard the Danes had thought to be fool enough to invade outright. Are we sure of this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Well Your Grace, it's a relief to hear that some things, at least, have gone right for the kingdom." Arundel said from his seat. "But it appears that every time we put out one fire, another erupts. You've prevailed over the King of Gwynedd, but I heard that the southern expedition did not go half as well." He glanced at Mar. "And we have put an end to Mowbray and Clare's feud, at least for the time being, but now the Danes descend upon England's northern shore once more. Do we know how numerous they are and whether it is aspirations of pillage or conquest that have brought them here?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Mar glances up to the earl of Arundel. Some said now that Gerold was dead Arundel was the primer councilor, but Mar himself thought little of the relative prestige of the members of this cabinet. "I had heard that there were raids on the Northern shore, but I had not heard the Danes had thought to be fool enough to invade outright. Are we sure of this?"

"I know little other than a great fleet has been spotted along the coast. But Osulf's death left me in a precarious position regardless. I appointed Perceval's heir in his stead, appointed by virtue of his kinship to Osulf's heir Harold."

It was either him or Waltheof; the latter's status as Sweyn's cousin meant that the King did not think it wise to hand the reins of the north over to someone who could quite feasibly betray him.

"I have chosen to send Baldwin de Clare north with a force of mercenaries in case the Danes have come for conquest. If the treasury can bear it, I wish to raise a force of ships to defend the south. I do not want to risk being taken unawares with the fyrd freshly returned to the field."

​At least he could feel secure from the channel. Normandy's pacification brought a great deal of security to England's south coast.

"Raising a fleet should be little concern, sire." Arundel supplied nonchalantly. "I've examined this year's records already. We've enough money to not only raise a sizable fleet but hire every mercenary west of the Carpates, if the need arises." Just in case the northern Earls got thrashed as soundly as Edwin and Morcar had at Fulford, and the sellswords already commissioned by the Crown proved insufficient. "Moreover, my peace-making army remains standing, and combined with both the contingent I'd sent to Wales and the men gathered from the smaller tenants beyond London it still numbers well over a thousand strong. I could have them join Baldwin de Clare's forces."
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; August 12, 2018 at 06:58 PM.

"If you are in need of ships I can add a small contingent from Dorset," Mar says addressing his second Earldom. "Have we sent scouts North to try and get more information on the Danish forces?" Lack of Information had cost him dearly in Wales. He did not want to repeat that mistake.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast