Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Great Council - Magnum Concilium

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: Great Council - Magnum Concilium

Having gauged the room and seeing a lull in the conversations Gilbert de Clare thought it best to make his request to the King
    Your Majesty, I have but two requests. The first request involves my wife's dowry, we have yet to discuss an arrangement. Though I find it hard to make such a request, I feel as I would be neglecting my wife and future heirs If I do not pursue her rights as a Princess of England. My second request is on behalf of my brother and father who have both faithful served you and your Kingdom through these past many years, I would humbly request that if you deem them worthy to reward them for their service to the crown.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mar rises when he hears the Comte de Eu mentioned. "My King what is this about the comte de Eu? His son is in my service and he was the first count to submit and swear fealty to you. I promised he would not be deprived of land if he submitted peacefully, and he did so."

----------------------

Gerold speaks now, "I have little that needs to be addressed. There is only the matter of a grant for Roger Perceval for his leal service. We have spoken of this before but we never did work out a place."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Richard had approached the King about a proposal which gave him the rights to the Comte of Eu and Brionne some months ago, he had not yet heard his decision and thought to bring the issue up again. Richard gets up and speaks to the King and the assembly

Your Majesty,
    Some months ago I submitted a petition to the crown requesting my rightful inheritance the Comte Eu and Brionne, I wish to ask your majesty if he has yet to reach a decision?

"At present, I have decided to deny this claim. The current Comte has held this title for many years, and his father before him. However, I shall grant you compensation, Lord Clare. I shall grant you Lord Warenne's estate at Lympne, for you have proven more faithful to me than he has."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "I wasn't, for my duties as Treasurer kept me from the field of battle. As I had also already told King Edgar well in advance." Arundel responded, smirking slightly. "Not that it stopped me from sending him my full force to aid him. Who was this man you thought a traitor? Was he so formidable a foe that you could not spare even a hundred men to aid our liege?" The only men near Gerbod that the Earl could recall had commanded such intimidating strength were the earls: Northampton, Lincoln and Bernicia (now Northumbria). "It has not escaped my attention that all the men who supported Mortain did so openly, many to the point of abandoning land and fortune in England to join him in Normandy - not even Rufus and Montgomery exactly hid their allegiance. I'd be interested in hearing this mystery lord's side of the story, if he would deign to give it, and in learning what made you think he was a traitor."​ So many questions, so little time.

----

Well, that had answered that question - so it was Lincoln that Gerbod thought a traitor, and the King already found holes in his story. Nevermind what Arundel had asked, then. The Treasurer said nothing, but regarded Gerbod with his arms still folded. Would he submit to an ordeal to prove the truth of his words? Mortain had, and his arms were burnt to a crisp by the red-hot irons he was made to carry as part of his ordeal before they took the head from his shoulders.

----

"I humbly petition thee for the honor of being named to the Earldom of Nottingham, Your Grace." Perceval stated, rising from his seat with exaggerated discomfort from his old wound to bow to the King. "I have been thine stalwart supporter since that dark day before York where Guillaume le Conquérant fell, and of all the lords in Nottinghamshire or the shires immediately surrounding it, I was the only one to lead a contingent to join your army in the war against Mortain." He'd learned from Gerbod's altercation with Arundel that his immediate neighbor had arrived too late to participate in the battle, and spun a story that the King didn't find all too convincing in an attempt to justify himself. Of the lords with holdings in shires that immediately neighbored him - Lincoln and De Lacy had fought as part of the royal household but raised no troops, and Ap Nwython had not been landed yet at the time. "I believe that, in light of all this, I am the best candidate for the task of keeping Nottinghamshire safe and your order firmly enforced there."
    "Granted. Loyalty does not go unrewarded, Earl of Nottingham."

Replied the King, with a firm nod.

"Furthermore, Roger de Perceval shall be named as lord of Oakham, Uppington, and Ketton, in Rutland."

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Gerbod now stretched his arms, clearly frustrated. "An ordeal? Where is De Champagne's ordeal?" He spoke, somewhat raising his voice. "Does changing allegiance twice over convince Your Grace of loyalty more than leal service does? I was one of the first of those at York to swear my allegiance, yet Lincoln, the snake, is trusted on his word, given an earldom even? I speak no lies when I say it was Lincoln's knights who raided my borders not a year before Mortain made his landing. Can I be faulted for taking precautions? Can I be faulted for believing, at the time, that I was right, considering we never did come across a Lincoln force on their way to join the King's host?" He paused. "I am not the traitor here, my Lords," he addressed the assembly, scanning the crowd of peers for Odo de Champagne.
    The King remained silent, for a time. A clerk came over and whispered in his ear, before scuttling away to retake his position as an observer.

"If you will not take the ordeal, then we may assume your guilt, Lord Gerbod."

Edgar flippantly retorted. He was clearly not interested in the accusations being pointed Lincoln's way.

Having gauged the room and seeing a lull in the conversations Gilbert de Clare thought it best to make his request to the King
    Your Majesty, I have but two requests. The first request involves my wife's dowry, we have yet to discuss an arrangement. Though I find it hard to make such a request, I feel as I would be neglecting my wife and future heirs If I do not pursue her rights as a Princess of England. My second request is on behalf of my brother and father who have both faithful served you and your Kingdom through these past many years, I would humbly request that if you deem them worthy to reward them for their service to the crown.
    Edgar smiled weakly. De Clare was visibly hungry for land, it seemed, and they exploited every avenue to gain it without subtlety. He liked Gilbert, but his father the King was less sure of.

"My sister's husband should not be without means to sustain himself. I shall ensure you are given an ample dowry."

Lands on the marches would suit. Maps would be consulted, and eventually the clerks would return with de Clare's grant: Shifnal and Drayton would serve as the dowry of Cristina, and the conclusion was announced to all present.

"They will be rewarded. Your brother shall be named Lord of Maxstoke and Tamworth."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Talbot and Mowbray attend, albeit a little late. Rains had made the travels hard and full of perils.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

"This is a disgrace," Gerbod answered. "I will take this ordeal, and God shall prove my innocence. However, I have no choice but to assume Lincoln's guilt. It saddens me deeply that you cannot see the farce that this man holds up to your very eyes, My King." He paused. "This is no way to treat a peer of the realm. Your arbitrariness is, to me, shocking. May God grant you clearer sight in the days to come."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

William Giffard rises next to address the King.

With your return, Sire, there are still two other matters that need to be addressed.

Lord Hereford pauses for a moment, in order to turn himself fully to face Edgar, before speaking further.

With de Warenne under arrest for his actions, a guardian should be appointed to his lands till further notice. A steward until it is determined whether de Warenne can be trusted or until his lands are confiscated by the Crown by his actions. And, with Normandy pacified, a necessary regent will need to be appointed. One who will ensure the tranquility of those lands and the loyalty of the Norman lords in those lands. We cannot let others exploit Normandy while your royal person is across the Channel, so a royally appointed official should be named.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 15, 2018 at 07:02 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Earl Waltheof scratches the back of his neck, as various figures petition for this boon or that. Eventually he speaks his peice, standing and addressing the King before the Witan with a clear voice. “I brought more men to the Meres than any other lord, and yet such actions are a simple matter of maintaining one’s own oaths toward the crown. As such I have served you faithfully, as I served Godwin, and as my father served both Edward the Confessor and Cnut the Great, God rest their souls.” He dutifully made the sign of the cross. “In life my noble father Siward was Earl of Northumbria, Cumberland, and Westmoreland. Yet upon his death the lands of Northumbria were usurped by Tostig, and those of the Cumberland were lost entirely.” He shifted positions, straightening his back. “My father-in-law Osulf is Earl of Northumbria, and much of the lands my father once held now lie in the hands of leal noble vassals and even the crown.. I would not dispute these claims, nor would I seek all the lands my family once held. Yet many lands in the north, that were once my father’s to watch over, are attended by none besides the local thegns. And so I would seek to push a claim on some of those provinces my father held in Yorkshire. If you deem it proper I would see the lands bordered by de Tosny’s to the north, de Champagne’s to the west, the royal domains of York to the east, and the rivers Ouse and Foss to the south.. where those rivers meet the sea.Reclaiming even this portion of his father’s land, or a portion of this portion, in the north would make him a notable figure in Northumbria. And reaching the sea would allow Waltheof access to new avenues of trade and economic growth.

(OOC: The general area he’s talking about is - 20 Nidderdale/Ripley/Marmion/Knaresborough, 38 Driffield, 39 Beverley/Hull, 40 Howden, 41 Pocklington, 42 Flaxton/Crayke, 43 Derwent)
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 16, 2018 at 02:58 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    "Granted. Loyalty does not go unrewarded, Earl of Nottingham."

Replied the King, with a firm nod.

"Furthermore, Roger de Perceval shall be named as lord of Oakham, Uppington, and Ketton, in Rutland."
    "You are most generous, my liege. Thank you." With that, the newly minted Nottingham retreated to his seat.

Roger could not sit in on this council, as he wasn't a landed lord until about five seconds ago, but no doubt the second Perceval son would greatly appreciate this gesture of Bageard's and the King's as well once he learned of it.

-----

"Your Grace." Edmund spoke up now, after the first round of requests and reward-giving was concluded and Edgar had gotten some space. "I was one of the first Englishmen, alongside Lord Osulf, to accept thine rightful claim to the throne, and have served thee in any and all capacities that thou callst me to, whether it was to negotiate with the Bretons or to lead a contingent by your side at the Meres. Now, I would like to present a petition to be named to the honor of the full Earldom of East Anglia, as my uncle Gyrth had been before me, and humbly request also that you may grant his old seat at Rendlæsham by the Deben as well as nearby Framlingæsham unto me." How could one be Earl of East Anglia with nothing in Suffolk, after all? And where better to start than with the core of both the old kingdom of the East Angles, and the earldom that had succeeded it.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Gerald d'Avranches had sat patiently as the many Lords of the realm said their piece, made their promises, and staked their claims. So far the king seemed generous, Gerald could only hope that generosity would continue. When an opportunity came up he took it. Meeting the kings gaze he speaks, "My king, I have been in leal service to you since I made my oaths at Stamford, I have fought many battles, and shed blood for you. I stand in defense of your borders and serve upon your council. I am sure you know what I will ask for, but I will say it here." pausing briefly Gerald felt a weight of apprehension rise up as he spoke, was it too soon, or would the weight of the moment prove suffice. "I ask for the Honor of Richmond, you know my claims as well as my character." wanting to say more he holds himself back "I ask for what is yours to give, allow d'Avranches men stand ready in the north as they do they west." calming himself Gerald waits for the kings response.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 15, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

"Are you serious, d'Avranches?" Raoul says as he rises from his seat and glares at the Marcher lord. "Your claim" de Tosny says in a dismissive tone "...was revoked by his majesty's decree regarding Alan Rufus. Yet you decided to twist the expedition to pacify Richmond to have it as the goal, instead of securing the lords' oaths to the crown! You have no better claim to Richmond than I would, or the Earl of Bernecia!" de Tosny pauses for a moment, and turns to the king. "Your majesty, Earl Waltheof, Earl Osulf, and myself all willing answered the call to arms to assist in pacifying Richmond for that aim, not supporting a defunct claim, and his insistence on pressing it led to our forces leaving the expedition reluctantly, only after each of us tried to reason with him. Why should he be rewarded for turning your task for him into a naked bid for power?"

-------
    Some time after the Richmond issue is resolved, Cadoc and his son Austol rise from their seats. "Your majesty, I have served you by leading a contingent north to Stamford, at the Meres, and if the craven brigand did not flee back to Brittany, would've gladly offered to lead my men to pacify his estates." "Your majesty, I have served the crown by leading my father's forces to the Wye, and fighting at the Mere." Cadoc nods to his son's words. "I wish to present a petition to see Tre war Venydh, Rostorrmel, and Reskammel be granted to me. Tre war Venydh, or as to the English, Tintangel, was the seat of my ancestors and my original caput before I was forced away by the Conqueror's land grants." "I would petition the crown to be granted land so I may be of greater service to the crown in the future, your majesty."
    Last edited by Xion; July 15, 2018 at 08:34 PM.

Citizen

Gilbert was grateful for the kings grants
    Thank you my liege, you are most generous.

---------------------

Gilbert usually stayed quiet, he didn't like getting involved into the politics of running the realm. It was dirty, messy, and if you weren't careful you could easily make enemies instead of friends. Though this time Gilbert was going to voice his support for d'Avranches, his sister was married to Gilbert's uncle and supporting him now could make him a powerful ally for the future. Gilbert gets up for the second time to address the King and the assembly.

Your Majesty we have all seen the loyalty of Gerald d'Avranches Earl of Chester, he has proven to be a loyal man, a good man, I don't believe this is in question.

Gilbert paused momentarily

Alan Rufus's treason was a horrendous act against the crown, he himself deserved to be punished and your majesty punished him accordingly. Though Alan Rufus himself comes from a noble bloodline, one that is shared through the Countess of Chester. Alan Rufus's actions were both shameful and disgraceful but yet I find myself hard pressed to damn an entire bloodline because of the actions of one man. Alan Rufus was a traitor, the Earl and Countess of Chester are not.

Yet another momentary pause

I suspect that granting the Countess of Chester her brother's claims would lead to a stronger north and a safer Kingdom

Section Editor ES

"The man defied a royal order in a attempt to gain power, he did it once, he could do it again.." de Tosny thinks to himself before turning to the king to speak once more. "I would say perhaps his loyalty is above reproach, but that may be all. His conduct during the brief time the lords of the North met with him in regards to the Richmond campaign makes me think otherwise." de Tosny looks over at de Clare and then at d'Avranches for a moment before continuing. "I should not have to remind all assembled that the cur Alan the Black, who attempted to assassinate his majesty and was stopped in thanks to the valiant sacrifice of the Earl of Bernecia's son and yourself, de Clare, is also of the same bloodline. So it is not only of the actions of one man that the bloodline would be damned. They may not be traitors, but his majesty's decree deprived Alan Rufus of all lands and titles, with no mention of any potential claimants. This leads me to believe the sister never had a claim to the land at all, and even if she did, it has been declared void by his majesty's decree." de Tosny pauses for a moment. "I would cast doubt on that claim, de Clare. As Chester is one of the Welsh Marchers, there is a possibility the men of Richmond may be diverted to bolstering the defenses there instead of being used in the North." Raoul then sits back down.
    Last edited by Xion; July 15, 2018 at 09:55 PM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

I daresay that the North is already strong.

Osulf finally speaks up, giving a glance at de Clare. He had grown to see that this Norman had been a great upstart during this Witan.

I have restored the northern frontier and seen that Cumbria was returned to us. I presently work to improve Cumbria, not only by approval of the King, but as the Earl of Northumbria, whose duty is to defend the border. I have seen to it that the King of Alba married Lady Margaret, the King's sister, and your sister-in-law, Lord Shrewsbury. Lord Waltheof holds lands in the North and many remember his father, who defended not only the border, but also aided in the return of the present King of Scotland to his throne, as do they remember my ancestors. Lord de Tosny and the Bishop of Durham are counted among those who also are ready to defend the north. There are even other noblemen such as the Earl of Lincoln and the Baron de Lacy who can be counted among its defenders.

His gaze then turns to the King after speaking.

My son's sacrifice showed the resolve of the North in not only its loyalty to the King, but to the safety and security of this realm. Though I have no personal qualm with the Lord d'Avranches, it is still one thing to pacify lands once held by Alan Rufus, but another to use the opportunity as an excuse to press a claim on lands deprived by decree and with the King absent at that time.

Osulf would have had no issue with d'Avranches, but the man seemed as ambitious as de Clare in wanting more lands.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 15, 2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

The hostility in the room seemed to be growing, and Gerald prepared to make one final attempt to explain himself.
    "The north holds many good men, men of strong character and resolve. I would be honored to stand among them. It is true the north is strong Lord Osulf, but would could it not be strengthened further? Marriage ties last only so long, and one day the Scots will turn south, I would be prepared for such a day."
    If given the opportunity they may even try sooner

"Even if my wife's claim were dismissed, my petition stands, as do my intentions if given the grant. I hope that you see that. Many men here stand today to express claims of their own, some for themselves, some for others. I do not speak against them, in fact if they have been in good service I would stand for them. Men like Percival, Waltheof, and de Clare, among others." Things had not gone well with Richmond, and looking back Gerald could have handled it differently, but what's done is done and now he had to attempt to salvage what he could.

"I have said what I will, I leave it to the king now"
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 15, 2018 at 11:08 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Gerold stands listening to the the debate and stands glancing for a moment at Waltheof, Olsulf and Tosny. His face was impassive his thoughts unclear. "I agree with Lords Osuld and de Tosny. While I know little of the events that led to Averanches to claim Richmond, but his mission was to pacify the region and get oaths to the king, not to claim the land himself." He pauses now considering his next words carefully. "My king if is unwise to reward such blatant opportunism. Richmond is a wealthy and prosperous grant, one that deserves a loyal vassal. One who will not wait until your back is turned to push their power ."

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    "The man defied a royal order in a attempt to gain power, he did it once, he could do it again.." de Tosny thinks to himself before turning to the king to speak once more. "I would say perhaps his loyalty is above reproach, but that may be all. His conduct during the brief time the lords of the North met with him in regards to the Richmond campaign makes me think otherwise." de Tosny looks over at de Clare and then at d'Avranches for a moment before continuing. "I should not have to remind all assembled that the cur Alan the Black, who attempted to assassinate his majesty and was stopped in thanks to the valiant sacrifice of the Earl of Bernecia's son and yourself, de Clare, is also of the same bloodline. So it is not only of the actions of one man that the bloodline would be damned. They may not be traitors, but his majesty's decree deprived Alan Rufus of all lands and titles, with no mention of any potential claimants. This leads me to believe the sister never had a claim to the land at all, and even if she did, it has been declared void by his majesty's decree." de Tosny pauses for a moment. "I would cast doubt on that claim, de Clare. As Chester is one of the Welsh Marchers, there is a possibility the men of Richmond may be diverted to bolstering the defenses there instead of being used in the North." Raoul then sits back down.
    I can not speak to his conduct during the campaigns in the north nor will I pass judgement, that is for the King to decide.
    Gilbert looks at de Tosny
    Alan the Black may have been a cur but he was no traitor, he served his master till his dying breath and though he was my enemy I respected his loyalty. If Countess d'Avranches shows the same fierceness and loyalty shown by her brother Alan the Black, we could only be so lucky.
    Gilbert pauses
    Richmond has been the home of the Rufus bloodline since the norman invasion, if she does not have claim then I am not sure who does.

Section Editor ES

"Indeed, it is for his majesty to decide." de Tosny pauses for a moment. "Nobody has a claim to the honor of Richmond."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

“I believe my position on Richmond is known, and once again I must agree with good de Tosny and Earl Osulf.” Waltheof replies from his seat. “Richmond is a noble prize, one that should be commanded by a less prosumptious lord.” A claim was one thing, a strong reasoning to be granted lands, but to assume your righteousness without the King’s approval was a dangerous game. “De Clare, D’Avranches loyalty is not in question here, nor the loyalty of the cur Alan the Black.. I believe we merely share a common sentiment that presumption of ownership is a dangerous play.”

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    "This is a disgrace," Gerbod answered. "I will take this ordeal, and God shall prove my innocence. However, I have no choice but to assume Lincoln's guilt. It saddens me deeply that you cannot see the farce that this man holds up to your very eyes, My King." He paused. "This is no way to treat a peer of the realm. Your arbitrariness is, to me, shocking. May God grant you clearer sight in the days to come."
    ”I pray that God’s judgement is fair.”

The King frowned, and folded his arms across his chest, and gave a stern reply.

”Calm yourself. I am certain Lincoln would prove his innocence, if it troubles you so. I would be willing to oversee this process.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    William Giffard rises next to address the King.

With your return, Sire, there are still two other matters that need to be addressed.

Lord Hereford pauses for a moment, in order to turn himself fully to face Edgar, before speaking further.

With de Warenne under arrest for his actions, a guardian should be appointed to his lands till further notice. A steward until it is determined whether de Warenne can be trusted or until his lands are confiscated by the Crown by his actions. And, with Normandy pacified, a necessary regent will need to be appointed. One who will ensure the tranquility of those lands and the loyalty of the Norman lords in those lands. We cannot let others exploit Normandy while your royal person is across the Channel, so a royally appointed official should be named.
    ”You speak rightly, Lord Giffard. Lord Warenne’s domains shall be placed under your own care until the crown can determine their eventual fate.”

Answered the King, with a determined nod. He briefly considered the second suggestion before apparently coming to some kind of conclusion.

”As Duke of the Normans, I name Lord Montfort my steward across the channel. He shall be responsible for the duchy in my absence.”

Not a particularly well known or powerful man, but he had been quietly loyal to Edgar’s rule. And he had been particularly hospitable during the royal household’s brief stay at Salisbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Earl Waltheof scratches the back of his neck, as various figures petition for this boon or that. Eventually he speaks his peice, standing and addressing the King before the Witan with a clear voice. “I brought more men to the Meres than any other lord, and yet such actions are a simple matter of maintaining one’s own oaths toward the crown. As such I have served you faithfully, as I served Godwin, and as my father served both Edward the Confessor and Cnut the Great, God rest their souls.” He dutifully made the sign of the cross. “In life my noble father Siward was Earl of Northumbria, Cumberland, and Westmoreland. Yet upon his death the lands of Northumbria were usurped by Tostig, and those of the Cumberland were lost entirely.” He shifted positions, straightening his back. “My father-in-law Osulf is Earl of Northumbria, and much of the lands my father once held now lie in the hands of leal noble vassals and even the crown.. I would not dispute these claims, nor would I seek all the lads my family once held. Yet many lands in the north, that were once my father’s to watch over, are attended by none besides the local thegns. And so I would seek to push a claim on some of those provinces my father held in Yorkshire. If you deem it proper I would see the lands bordered by de Tosny’s to the north, de Champagne’s to the west, the royal domains of York to the east, and the rivers Ouse and Foss to the south.. where those rivers meet the sea.Reclaiming even this portion of his father’s land, or a portion of this portion, in the north would make him a notable figure in Northumbria. And reaching the sea would allow Waltheof access to new avenues of trade and economic growth.

(OOC: The general area he’s talking about is - 38 Driffield, 39 Beverley/Hull, 40 Howden, 41 Pocklington, 42 Flaxton/Crayke, 43 Derwent)
    ”As you say, Lord Waltheof, those lands belonged to your father. However, I shall seek the counsel of Lord Osulf in this matter, for as Earl of Northumbria he is my voice in the north of England.”

The King answered, a hint of caution in his voice as he flitted his gaze over towards Bamburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "You are most generous, my liege. Thank you." With that, the newly minted Nottingham retreated to his seat.

Roger could not sit in on this council, as he wasn't a landed lord until about five seconds ago, but no doubt the second Perceval son would greatly appreciate this gesture of Bageard's and the King's as well once he learned of it.

-----

"Your Grace." Edmund spoke up now, after the first round of requests and reward-giving was concluded and Edgar had gotten some space. "I was one of the first Englishmen, alongside Lord Osulf, to accept thine rightful claim to the throne, and have served thee in any and all capacities that thou callst me to, whether it was to negotiate with the Bretons or to lead a contingent by your side at the Meres. Now, I would like to present a petition to be named to the honor of the full Earldom of East Anglia, as my uncle Gyrth had been before me, and humbly request also that you may grant his old seat at Rendlæsham by the Deben as well as nearby Framlingæsham unto me." How could one be Earl of East Anglia with nothing in Suffolk, after all? And where better to start than with the core of both the old kingdom of the East Angles, and the earldom that had succeeded it.
    ”Your father’s kin were once Earls over most of England.”

Began the King, clasping his hands together in front of him. Godwin and Harold after him had ensured almost all major earldoms were occupied by a kinsman in some form.

”Should I be expected to entertain the claims upon that land, too? Upon Northumbria, Kent, and even Hereford?”

It was not hostile, but the line of questioning was to nonetheless determine exactly what he should expect from Harold’s sons.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Gerald d'Avranches had sat patiently as the many Lords of the realm said their piece, made their promises, and staked their claims. So far the king seemed generous, Gerald could only hope that generosity would continue. When an opportunity came up he took it. Meeting the kings gaze he speaks, "My king, I have been in leal service to you since I made my oaths at Stamford, I have fought many battles, and shed blood for you. I stand in defense of your borders and serve upon your council. I am sure you know what I will ask for, but I will say it here." pausing briefly Gerald felt a weight of apprehension rise up as he spoke, was it too soon, or would the weight of the moment prove suffice. "I ask for the Honor of Richmond, you know my claims as well as my character." wanting to say more he holds himself back "I ask for what is yours to give, allow d'Avranches men stand ready in the north as they do they west." calming himself Gerald waits for the kings response.
    "Are you serious, d'Avranches?" Raoul says as he rises from his seat and glares at the Marcher lord. "Your claim" de Tosny says in a dismissive tone "...was revoked by his majesty's decree regarding Alan Rufus. Yet you decided to twist the expedition to pacify Richmond to have it as the goal, instead of securing the lords' oaths to the crown! You have no better claim to Richmond than I would, or the Earl of Bernecia!" de Tosny pauses for a moment, and turns to the king. "Your majesty, Earl Waltheof, Earl Osulf, and myself all willing answered the call to arms to assist in pacifying Richmond for that aim, not supporting a defunct claim, and his insistence on pressing it led to our forces leaving the expedition reluctantly, only after each of us tried to reason with him. Why should he be rewarded for turning your task for him into a naked bid for power?"

-------
    Some time after the Richmond issue is resolved, Cadoc and his son Austol rise from their seats. "Your majesty, I have served you by leading a contingent north to Stamford, at the Meres, and if the craven brigand did not flee back to Brittany, would've gladly offered to lead my men to pacify his estates." "Your majesty, I have served the crown by leading my father's forces to the Wye, and fighting at the Mere." Cadoc nods to his son's words. "I wish to present a petition to see Tre war Venydh, Rostorrmel, and Reskammel be granted to me. Tre war Venydh, or as to the English, Tintangel, was the seat of my ancestors and my original caput before I was forced away by the Conqueror's land grants." "I would petition the crown to be granted land so I may be of greater service to the crown in the future, your majesty."
    Gilbert was grateful for the kings grants
    Thank you my liege, you are most generous.

---------------------

Gilbert usually stayed quiet, he didn't like getting involved into the politics of running the realm. It was dirty, messy, and if you weren't careful you could easily make enemies instead of friends. Though this time Gilbert was going to voice his support for d'Avranches, his sister was married to Gilbert's uncle and supporting him now could make him a powerful ally for the future. Gilbert gets up for the second time to address the King and the assembly.

Your Majesty we have all seen the loyalty of Gerald d'Avranches Earl of Chester, he has proven to be a loyal man, a good man, I don't believe this is in question.

Gilbert paused momentarily

Alan Rufus's treason was a horrendous act against the crown, he himself deserved to be punished and your majesty punished him accordingly. Though Alan Rufus himself comes from a noble bloodline, one that is shared through the Countess of Chester. Alan Rufus's actions were both shameful and disgraceful but yet I find myself hard pressed to damn an entire bloodline because of the actions of one man. Alan Rufus was a traitor, the Earl and Countess of Chester are not.

Yet another momentary pause

I suspect that granting the Countess of Chester her brother's claims would lead to a stronger north and a safer Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I daresay that the North is already strong.

Osulf finally speaks up, giving a glance at de Clare. He had grown to see that this Norman had been a great upstart during this Witan.

I have restored the northern frontier and seen that Cumbria was returned to us. I presently work to improve Cumbria, not only by approval of the King, but as the Earl of Northumbria, whose duty is to defend the border. I have seen to it that the King of Alba married Lady Margaret, the King's sister, and your sister-in-law, Lord Shrewsbury. Lord Waltheof holds lands in the North and many remember his father, who defended not only the border, but also aided in the return of the present King of Scotland to his throne, as do they remember my ancestors. Lord de Tosny and the Bishop of Durham are counted among those who also are ready to defend the north. There are even other noblemen such as the Earl of Lincoln and the Baron de Lacy who can be counted among its defenders.

His gaze then turns to the King after speaking.

My son's sacrifice showed the resolve of the North in not only its loyalty to the King, but to the safety and security of this realm. Though I have no personal qualm with the Lord d'Avranches, it is still one thing to pacify lands once held by Alan Rufus, but another to use the opportunity as an excuse to press a claim on lands deprived by decree and with the King absent at that time.

Osulf would have had no issue with d'Avranches, but the man seemed as ambitious as de Clare in wanting more lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    The hostility in the room seemed to be growing, and Gerald prepared to make one final attempt to explain himself.
    "The north holds many good men, men of strong character and resolve. I would be honored to stand among them. It is true the north is strong Lord Osulf, but would could it not be strengthened further? Marriage ties last only so long, and one day the Scots will turn south, I would be prepared for such a day."
    If given the opportunity they may even try sooner

"Even if my wife's claim were dismissed, my petition stands, as do my intentions if given the grant. I hope that you see that. Many men here stand today to express claims of their own, some for themselves, some for others. I do not speak against them, in fact if they have been in good service I would stand for them. Men like Percival, Waltheof, and de Clare, among others." Things had not gone well with Richmond, and looking back Gerald could have handled it differently, but what's done is done and now he had to attempt to salvage what he could.

"I have said what I will, I leave it to the king now"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gerold stands listening to the the debate and stands glancing for a moment at Waltheof, Olsulf and Tosny. His face was impassive his thoughts unclear. "I agree with Lords Osuld and de Tosny. While I know little of the events that led to Averanches to claim Richmond, but his mission was to pacify the region and get oaths to the king, not to claim the land himself." He pauses now considering his next words carefully. "My king if is unwise to reward such blatant opportunism. Richmond is a wealthy and prosperous grant, one that deserves a loyal vassal. One who will not wait until your back is turned to push their power ."
    I can not speak to his conduct during the campaigns in the north nor will I pass judgement, that is for the King to decide.
    Gilbert looks at de Tosny
    Alan the Black may have been a cur but he was no traitor, he served his master till his dying breath and though he was my enemy I respected his loyalty. If Countess d'Avranches shows the same fierceness and loyalty shown by her brother Alan the Black, we could only be so lucky.
    Gilbert pauses
    Richmond has been the home of the Rufus bloodline since the norman invasion, if she does not have claim then I am not sure who does.
    "Indeed, it is for his majesty to decide." de Tosny pauses for a moment. "Nobody has a claim to the honor of Richmond."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    “I believe my position on Richmond is known, and once again I must agree with good de Tosny and Earl Osulf.” Waltheof replies from his seat. “Richmond is a noble prize, one that should be commanded by a less prosumptious lord.” A claim was one thing, a strong reasoning to be granted lands, but to assume your righteousness without the King’s approval was a dangerous game. “De Clare, D’Avranches loyalty is not in question here, nor the loyalty of the cur Alan the Black.. I believe we merely share a common sentiment that presumption of ownership is a dangerous play.”
    ”Enough on this matter of Richmond. Lord Avranches has asked for forgiveness for his actions, and I have given it. For now, none shall inherit lord Rufus’s lands, for he left no heirs in England to do so, and thus they are forfeit to the King.”

Edgar stood as he spoke, subtly making himself larger and placing himself above everyone else.

With the mater of Richmond settled in his favor Gerold spoke on behalf of Waltheof, "While I know little of the claims that predated William the conqueror, I know Waltheof has proven leal in his service to the crown." He pauses glancing at Osulf and Wlatheof now, "It would be good to see that service rewarded, and the Earl granted his families old land, or if that grant is not possible then perhaps another can be found." Others had been more blatant in their desire for power and had gotten it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast