Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Upon returning from Goodrich Gilbert de Clare is sent by his father to Westminster Palace to meet with the King
    De Clare is sent into the audience chamber, where the King and his new Queen are holding court.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    Godwin stood triumphant with the zking, and directed a sneaky glance his way. "You saw the boar, so both best cuts are yours.

Though you will end up fat as a Norman on such a diet, Sire."
    the Ealderman paused, obviously hesitating l, before continuing. "Would I be welcome, your Grace, to remain at Court?"
    Edgar gave a rueful grin at Godwin’s remark. He was breathing heavily, exhausted from the hunt but triumphant nonetheless.

“Dunstan’s bones, that one was tough.”

The King watched as the servants took the carcass away to stop the hounds gnawing at it. He turned to Godwinson.

”You would be. I believe I will have need of you, Earl of Wessex. Now, let us return. I am starving.”

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

De Clare is sent into the audience chamber, where the King and his new Queen are holding court.
    Gilbert entered the audience chamber bowing before his King and Queen
    Good morrow your majesties

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Godwin blinked, surprised by the use of title. "That's not an Earldom heard of for a fair few years now" Haroldson remarked dryly. He turned his eyes back on the boar as he followed the King. "I once heard tell of a merchant who slew a boar the size of a bull with nothing but a sword " The Saxon was grinning, though, knowing how ridiculous it sounded

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Geoffrey de Mowbray, still a bit haggard from a long bout of sickness, arrives at Westminister to speak with King Edgar.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Still taken aback by the loss of his father, the news that he was now landless and without title seemed to register and then be disregarded without consequence, as though this was all some cruel trick. His head pounding he looks to his uncle who seemed somber but steady, and then to Edgar. King Edgar; though the weight of those words had yet to truly set in, who seemed to be holding back a sly smile as though this whole situation held humor in it.

Looking back to his uncle now "Why does god test us so? What have I done to deserve this?"

Turning back to Edgar "And what is to become of me now?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    “I think you should rest. I will have quarters prepared for you.”

Even if he wanted Curthose to leave, the Count of Maine was in no shape to do so; months wasting away in bed had undoubtedly weakened him. The monks had allowed his hair and beard to grow out, and so the eldest son of William now resembled a wandering hermit in appearance. The King then looked over at Odo, expectantly.

”After that, I think we all should discuss what the future holds.”

Odo's lips stretch into a wry frown and he nods to Edgar.

"Of course," he agrees passively.

Gilbert entered the audience chamber bowing before his King and Queen
    Good morrow your majesties
    ”De Clare. Come forward.”

Beckoned the King, a little hesitantly. If he had asked for Gilbert to be summoned, then his memory of it was a little hazy.

Godwin blinked, surprised by the use of title. "That's not an Earldom heard of for a fair few years now" Haroldson remarked dryly. He turned his eyes back on the boar as he followed the King. "I once heard tell of a merchant who slew a boar the size of a bull with nothing but a sword " The Saxon was grinning, though, knowing how ridiculous it sounded.
    ”No, it hasn’t.”

Agreed Edgar, a nonchalant smirk crossing over his face.

”A merchant, really? I’ve never heard of this story. Was he a saint? I assume he died.”

Saint Boniface, was it? No, no, had to be someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Geoffrey de Mowbray, still a bit haggard from a long bout of sickness, arrives at Westminister to speak with King Edgar.
    Mowbray is called before the King within the audience chamber at Westminster.

"I think it turn out that he just found it dead on the woods. Who knows, people will say anything. "

Godwin frowned. "That or they found his mangled corpse in the woods holding a sword. Actually, I think the latter is more likely."

Citizen

”De Clare. Come forward.”

Beckoned the King, a little hesitantly. If he had asked for Gilbert to be summoned, then his memory of it was a little hazy.
    Gilbert approached the King upon his request giving the king a moment to remember why he was summoned to the palace.

Section Editor ES

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

”Not yet. But I probably will have to.”

The King sighed. He did not enjoy such mundane tasks, important though they were.

”Why? Do you have any suggestions?”

—-

“Friendship only goes so far. We need to remind our brother that we are the stronger.”

Agreed the King.
    I would suggest a powerful nobleman for the hand of your sister. Someone who you desire stronger ties with for the future of your reign and that of your successor.

At this point, Giffard felt that the King could always rely on persons such as Bageard and Osulf without question. There were many nobles in the realm though and certainly there were some good choices.

For a Saxon in-law, perhaps Edmund Godwinson. A son of the late Harold Godwinson and a landholder in Norfolk. I hear he has the reputation of a good diplomat. Among the Normans, there is Gerald d'Avranches, a Lord on the Welsh Marches and a landholder in Lancashire and Cheshire. There is also the de Montforts, led by Hugh, Lord of Salisbury. I hear he has some available sons. Lastly, de Clare, Baron of Tonbridge and Clare and a landholder in Suffolk, Kent and Hertford. Those are who I suggest, my King.

William would lean back in a chair, believing there were some good choices. Little among the Saxons compared to the Normans though.

I feel, Your Majesty, should consider an international marriage for your sister. To enhance the prestige of your crown and display the shining reputation of your ancestors and that of your royal bloodline. After all, all of Europe must know of the revival of the Cerdicings.

=========================

I shall see to that business right away, Sire. But first, to this grand feast! Today, my King and his family should celebrate! The whole of the realm should celebrate!

Osulf smiles at the young Edgar, pleased by the favor bestowed on his family. Maldred would certainly become favored and, with dutiful service, be the venue in which favor streams back to House of Uthred.

Now, with your family back, all eyes will be on your sister. I suspect you dread the endless audiences that will follow, asking for her hand.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; June 19, 2018 at 06:07 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"I think it turn out that he just found it dead on the woods. Who knows, people will say anything. "

Godwin frowned. "That or they found his mangled corpse in the woods holding a sword. Actually, I think the latter is more likely."
    ”We shall raise a drink to him later. Saint Mercer of the hunters.”

Edgar looked up at the sky, the sun visible through the treeline. They’d been out for some hours, though it was still light.

”Lets ride, boys.”

The King mounted up his horse and dug his heels in, expecting the others to follow shortly behind him.

Gilbert approached the King upon his request giving the king a moment to remember why he was summoned to the palace.
    ”You were to join my household?”

His impassive gaze suggested ambivalence towards the suggestion.

”Your father wanted you to marry my sister.”

It was phrased like a question, though there was no hint of the answer Edgar wanted. The Queen, a slender girl, watched on for a moment with vague interest before her gaze was distracted by something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I would suggest a powerful nobleman for the hand of your sister. Someone who you desire stronger ties with for the future of your reign and that of your successor.

At this point, Giffard felt that the King could always rely on persons such as Bageard and Osulf without question. There were many nobles in the realm though and certainly there were some good choices.

For a Saxon in-law, perhaps Edmund Godwinson. A son of the late Harold Godwinson and a landholder in Norfolk. I hear he has the reputation of a good diplomat. Among the Normans, there is Gerald d'Avranches, a Lord on the Welsh Marches and a landholder in Lancashire and Cheshire. There is also the de Montforts, led by Hugh, Lord of Salisbury. I hear he has some available sons. Lastly, de Clare, Baron of Tonbridge and Clare and a landholder in Suffolk, Kent and Hertford. Those are who I suggest, my King.

William would lean back in a chair, believing there were some good choices. Little among the Saxons compared to the Normans though.

I feel, Your Majesty, should consider an international marriage for your sister. To enhance the prestige of your crown and display the shining reputation of your ancestors and that of your royal bloodline. After all, all of Europe must know of the revival of the Cerdicings.

=========================

I shall see to that business right away, Sire. But first, to this grand feast! Today, my King and his family should celebrate! The whole of the realm should celebrate!

Osulf smiles at the young Edgar, pleased by the favor bestowed on his family. Maldred would certainly become favored and, with dutiful service, be the venue in which favor streams back to House of Uthred.

Now, with your family back, all eyes will be on your sister. I suspect you dread the endless audiences that will follow, asking for her hand.
    ”Godwinson? No, no, that wouldn’t do...”

There was no bad blood between the King and Harold’s sons, but something about that marriage just didn’t feel right.

”One of the Normans, then? You know them better than I do.”

Avranches he remembered, but the other two he did not recall so easily. Likely they were all connected to Giffard in some way, but that would not be such a bad thing.

”They should know me already.”

Edgar face creased into a frown.

”I am king of the English, not some tanner’s son.”

Usurper or not, the King considered his bloodline to be the greatest in Christendom; descended from kings on both sides.

—-

”Yes, well...”

Edgar found it a little uncomfortable discussing who should climb between his sister’s sheets. He shifted in his chair, and paid his sister a sideways glance before continuing. Cristina was either unaware or pretending not to notice the discussion taking place around her, continuing her own quiet conversation with Agatha. She was like the king in height and likeness, sharing the same flaxen hair and blue eyes. Nonetheless, she was a few years older than the king, and the prime age for marriage and childbearing.

“We will find a suitable husband for a king’s sister, I’m certain.”

The eldest son of Harold had, as he had suggested, remained within the household of the King. It was a lonely existence, for the Normans of court far outnumbered the Saxons, and so far there had been two cases of Godwin brawling with Norman courtiers, going so far as to draw steel and clash before they were separated - Harold had been hot blooded, and to some extent his most reserved son was too, the men of Normandy were ones he held little love for.

Life was otherwise uneventful. The Earl of Wessex hunted with the King often and was oft seen in court, but spent most of his time talking to priests or practicing the bow. From his estates he had brought a fierce old Welshman by the name of Owain, a man who had made his life as a professional poacher and then as a soldier. Apparently the trick of the Welsh bows wasn't pure strength, but an odd movement of the shoulder. Godwin still couldn't draw it fully mind, though Owain promised it would eventually come.

He had risen early - as was his manner - to practice the bow, as he had been bid. Down from his chambers he went, out into a courtyard that was set aside for archery, and then he halted when he realised that there was another in the yard as well...

The eldest son of Harold had, as he had suggested, remained within the household of the King. It was a lonely existence, for the Normans of court far outnumbered the Saxons, and so far there had been two cases of Godwin brawling with Norman courtiers, going so far as to draw steel and clash before they were separated - Harold had been hot blooded, and to some extent his most reserved son was too, the men of Normandy were ones he held little love for.

Life was otherwise uneventful. The Earl of Wessex hunted with the King often and was oft seen in court, but spent most of his time talking to priests or practicing the bow. From his estates he had brought a fierce old Welshman by the name of Owain, a man who had made his life as a professional poacher and then as a soldier. Apparently the trick of the Welsh bows wasn't pure strength, but an odd movement of the shoulder. Godwin still couldn't draw it fully mind, though Owain promised it would eventually come.

He had risen early - as was his manner - to practice the bow, as he had been bid. Down from his chambers he went, out into a courtyard that was set aside for archery, and then he halted when he realised that there was another in the yard as well...
    ”Lord Godwin, you startled me.”

The highly strung voice was produced by Cristina, the King’s sister. Godwin would have seen her moving quickly through the courtyard of the palace. Unusually, she was not accompanied by any of her ladies. She stopped in her tracks and straightened her gown, a faint blue in colour to match with her eyes that watched him with apprehension. A long moment passed between them.

”You practice the bow alone, my lord?”

She cleared her throat, and gestured gingerly towards the oversized weapon that Godwin was carrying with him. Her voice sounded faintly outlandish, though the thickness of her accent was only slight. Mother’s influence, perhaps.

Default Re: The Royal Court

"My lady, I did not expect to see anyone about at this hour." He ground the bow, putting some weight on it. His cloak was slung back over his shoulder, revealing a quiver and the horizontally sheathed seax. Godwin looked at her questioningly, wondering why a lady was out at this hour. "I practice with a Welsh retainer of mine by the name of Owain, he's late, tending sheep I imagine. The Welsh enjoy the company of sheep much the same way the King enjoys the company of women." Godwin paused, fingering the hideous heavy scabs on his two fingers, caused by firing near a hundred arrows a day - his Welshman was a hard task master. "And you, my lady? It is not the norm t see ladies about without their households." The Saxon Earl carefully kept his eyes on her face - her form was far more pleasant than his wife's.

Mowbray is called before the King within the audience chamber at Westminster.
    The Bishop of Coutances made a slight bow to the King of England, as decorum required. It was a far heavier task than first anticipated, the loyalty to the late William of Normandy still weighing on Mowbray's back. Yet it would seem that the new regime saw some use in him to keep him as Chancellor, otherwise Geoffrey had made his way straight back to Normandy and joining Richard.

"I come before you, my King, to pledge my oaths of loyalty to you as the true King of England. You have shown me great favor by making me you Chancellor, and I wish to honor that gesture of faith."

"My lady, I did not expect to see anyone about at this hour." He ground the bow, putting some weight on it. His cloak was slung back over his shoulder, revealing a quiver and the horizontally sheathed seax. Godwin looked at her questioningly, wondering why a lady was out at this hour. "I practice with a Welsh retainer of mine by the name of Owain, he's late, tending sheep I imagine. The Welsh enjoy the company of sheep much the same way the King enjoys the company of women." Godwin paused, fingering the hideous heavy scabs on his two fingers, caused by firing near a hundred arrows a day - his Welshman was a hard task master. "And you, my lady? It is not the norm t see ladies about without their households." The Saxon Earl carefully kept his eyes on her face - her form was far more pleasant than his wife's.
    Cristina gave a weak smile at the Earl’s crude jape, and shuffled her feet a little in discomfort. She clasped her hands together before her stomach, as if ready to shield herself.

”I was off for a morning walk, my lord. I value my privacy.”

She lied, meeting his gaze sternly.

The Bishop of Coutances made a slight bow to the King of England, as decorum required. It was a far heavier task than first anticipated, the loyalty to the late William of Normandy still weighing on Mowbray's back. Yet it would seem that the new regime saw some use in him to keep him as Chancellor, otherwise Geoffrey had made his way straight back to Normandy and joining Richard.

"I come before you, my King, to pledge my oaths of loyalty to you as the true King of England. You have shown me great favor by making me you Chancellor, and I wish to honor that gesture of faith."

”Your oaths are accepted, Mowbray.”

Replied the King, watching the Bishop impassively. Mowbray’s brother had been a staunch opponent of his, and so Edgar suspected that he held rather similar opinions concerning his right to the kingship. For a moment, there was a lengthy pause, though Mowbray was not dismissed.

”Have you spoken much with Canterbury, lord Mowbray? Though you are not a cleric of this realm, he came to me with some... clerical issues.”

The King’s tone suggested he had little idea of what these issues are or how to deal with them.

Replied the King, watching the Bishop impassively. Mowbray’s brother had been a staunch opponent of his, and so Edgar suspected that he held rather similar opinions concerning his right to the kingship. For a moment, there was a lengthy pause, though Mowbray was not dismissed.

”Have you spoken much with Canterbury, lord Mowbray? Though you are not a cleric of this realm, he came to me with some... clerical issues.”

The King’s tone suggested he had little idea of what these issues are or how to deal with them.
    Mowbray remained silent for a moment, visibly pondering the king's question.

"I have spoken to him before, yes, though not in any great length. I am not aware of any clerical issues here in England, except for his own current excommunication by his Holiness in Rome."

The bishop looked up at the king, meeting his gaze.

"It has been three years since I set foot on these isles, yet the history and traditions of the Church still eludes me. I may be able to give an outsider's view on these clerical issues that Canterbury speaks of."

Cristina gave a weak smile at the Earl’s crude jape, and shuffled her feet a little in discomfort. She clasped her hands together before her stomach, as if ready to shield herself.

”I was off for a morning walk, my lord. I value my privacy.”

She lied, meeting his gaze sternly.

Godwin, for the most part, did not show any reaction to her discomfort, he simply eyed her somewhat amusedly. "I never saw you here then?" The Earl of Wessex shuffled his feat, as if thinking of strolling on but deciding it would be impolite for him to be the first to leave. His next words were little considered, and obviously just small talk. "How did you find Scotland, my lady? What was the court of King Malcolm like?"

Citizen

Default Re: The Royal Court

Yes, your majesty. Gilbert said with confidence and grace
    My father has informed me of his visit to westminster palace and his request on my behalf, I am truly grateful for this opportunity.

Section Editor ES

Default The Royal Court

Mowbray remained silent for a moment, visibly pondering the king's question.

"I have spoken to him before, yes, though not in any great length. I am not aware of any clerical issues here in England, except for his own current excommunication by his Holiness in Rome."

The bishop looked up at the king, meeting his gaze.

"It has been three years since I set foot on these isles, yet the history and traditions of the Church still eludes me. I may be able to give an outsider's view on these clerical issues that Canterbury speaks of."
    ”The see of York is currently vacant, I believe, but Stigand had a dispute with the last Archbishop.”

Edgar folded his arms across his chest.

”I want you to take up the see of York. Bring the ways of Rome to the people.”

Not that Edgar particularly enjoyed roman doctrine, but he felt that the clergy of England would be better served if united under common purpose. His offer was delivered with a degree of nonchalance, as if it was something as small as meat and drink.

Godwin, for the most part, did not show any reaction to her discomfort, he simply eyed her somewhat amusedly. "I never saw you here then?" The Earl of Wessex shuffled his feat, as if thinking of strolling on but deciding it would be impolite for him to be the first to leave. His next words were little considered, and obviously just small talk. "How did you find Scotland, my lady? What was the court of King Malcolm like?"
    ”No... you didn’t.”

She hesitated for a moment before responding, her eyes darting around the courtyard to check for any observers. Satisfied, she moved to leave, but was stopped by Godwin’s question.

”Scotland? Dreadful. The King was kind enough, but only because he wanted to bed Margaret.”

She grinned ruefully. It wasn’t just for political reasons that he wanted to marry her, that was for sure. The man was ravenous.

Yes, your majesty. Gilbert said with confidence and grace
    My father has informed me of his visit to westminster palace and his request on my behalf, I am truly grateful for this opportunity.
    ”Good. You enjoy hunting, yes?”

Edgar was eager to find some common ground between the two.