Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

"Yes. She is. What of it?"

Edgar had not seen his sister in years. She was, for the time being, still in Scotland, and he wasn't going to marry her off without even having spoken with her first.

"And in regards to your children, I'm certain I could find for them a spouse, if that is your wish."
    Richard was careful in what he said next

Your Majesty, I humbly ask for your blessing that my son Gilbert de Clare be able to pursue courtship with Princess Christina.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Edgar felt a little uncomfortable. Why would he sell off his sister to a man he had never met?

"I would like to meet your son first. He should join my household."

It couldn't hurt to have De Clare's son in his entourage.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Gerold snorted, "I had figured he had. Hoped he would send over William's daughter for his son, but it does not mater now you are to be wed to Emma of France." He sighed rubbing he eyes suddenly tired. The older man was not as young as he used to be. "When I received not reply from Mortain I went to France to arrange the marriage with Princess Emma. As for his son he trains and learns with my son Richard for now. I have no idea what else to do with the boy."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    "Don't worry, Giffard. I have loyal men who will keep these regions in safe hands."

The Saxons would be key to the north's defence. East Anglia was another matter - Godwinson would be the prime candidate to defend the region.

"I do not fear him. We will sit and wait for him to make a move. And watch as it fails."

---

"He still holds Cumbria, does he not? That should not stand."

Edgar took his seat at the head of the table, and watched as a servant filled his goblet with wine.

"The dowry is fine. But it won't be paid until Cumbria is returned, and the frontier restored."

The King found it strange that this did not at all concern Osulf.
    My father taught me to be cautious, Sire. After all, he fought both Saracen and Frank when he was a younger man.

William had his own experiences with the recent conflict too. The deep gash on his shoulder, which was mostly healed, became slightly agitated by the thought of York.

However, from what I have heard, you have become quite the alliance builder. Connections with Scotland and France now by marriage.

========================

Sire, I had thought of Cumbria, but I saw the more urgent in securing Scotland quickly as an ally. Deny the possibility of the Normans gaining aid from them.

The ever present threat of the Normans loomed and certainly Osulf wanted Scotland as an ally for Edgar as soon as possible. As Osulf spoke, Maldred merely listened.

However, my King, as you have made it clear that restoring the frontier as a priority, I shall head back north to speak with the King.

Osulf was willing to return to the court of Alba and see that this is done.

If necessary, should we offer anything further to secure Scotland's cooperation? Any terms you wish to convey directly to regain Cumbria?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Edmund is admitted into the King's audience chamber at Westminster.
    "Your Grace." Edmund stated, bowing politely. "I trust you've been faring well since we parted ways a year ago? I've heard my brother joined you on a successful hunt a few months ago."

Citizen

Edgar felt a little uncomfortable. Why would he sell off his sister to a man he had never met?

"I would like to meet your son first. He should join my household."

It couldn't hurt to have De Clare's son in his entourage.
    Of course your majesty, he is currently in Goodrich visiting his uncle the Earl of Hereford upon his return I shall inform him of your request.
    Richard was delighted in that the King was open to the idea of marriage between the two
    Last edited by Lord William; June 18, 2018 at 12:11 AM.

Section Editor ES

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    My father taught me to be cautious, Sire. After all, he fought both Saracen and Frank when he was a younger man.

William had his own experiences with the recent conflict too. The deep gash on his shoulder, which was mostly healed, became slightly agitated by the thought of York.

However, from what I have heard, you have become quite the alliance builder. Connections with Scotland and France now by marriage.

========================

Sire, I had thought of Cumbria, but I saw the more urgent in securing Scotland quickly as an ally. Deny the possibility of the Normans gaining aid from them.

The ever present threat of the Normans loomed and certainly Osulf wanted Scotland as an ally for Edgar as soon as possible. As Osulf spoke, Maldred merely listened.

However, my King, as you have made it clear that restoring the frontier as a priority, I shall head back north to speak with the King.

Osulf was willing to return to the court of Alba and see that this is done.

If necessary, should we offer anything further to secure Scotland's cooperation? Any terms you wish to convey directly to regain Cumbria?
    “As you say. We will see how valuable these connections prove to be.”

Edgar somewhat doubted the power of the Frankish kings, but they would be useful for hemming in Normandy. Ties with Scotland would help enforce his natural position as overlord of the isles.

—-

“Cumbria was part of the kingdom my uncle ruled, and those who came before him. Take it by whatever means necessary.”

Ties with Scotland were important, but England’s integrity moreso. They could not simply allow Malcolm to annex vast swathes of Northumbria without answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Your Grace." Edmund stated, bowing politely. "I trust you've been faring well since we parted ways a year ago? I've heard my brother joined you on a successful hunt a few months ago."

“Yes. We chased boar together near Windlesora. It proved to be a fine meal afterwards.”

He grinned at the memory. It wasn’t everyday that you brought down such a formidable beast.

“And I have fared well. Yourself? I trust you have been tending to your lands.”

East Anglia was an area of no small importance to the king.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Of course your majesty, he is currently in Goodrich visiting his uncle the Earl of Hereford upon his return I shall inform him of your request.
    Richard was delighted in that the King was open to the idea of marriage between the two
    Edgar nodded in assent.

“Very good. I shall expect to hear from him in the month.”

“Yes. We chased boar together near Windlesora. It proved to be a fine meal afterwards.”

He grinned at the memory. It wasn’t everyday that you brought down such a formidable beast.

“And I have fared well. Yourself? I trust you have been tending to your lands.”

East Anglia was an area of no small importance to the king.
    "So I have," Edmund replied, smiling as he usually did. "I've been familiarizing myself with my subjects, and have recently married the daughter of one of my thegns. Happy people are loyal and productive people, in my experience. I have also initiated construction of a proper burh near Lena and Snettisham, in case certain somebodies from across the sea cross here with the intent of breaking the tranquility of the kingdom and ending the happiness of its people." By now Edmund knew, as anyone who wasn't living under a rock did, that a rival King had been crowned across the Channel. One of the Bastard's brood, with his uncle as regent. Well, he had no intention of going out like Uncle Gyrth had, should the Normans be mad enough to attack England once again.

"My king, I've also come here to make a request for the body of my and Godwin's father, that we might give him a proper Christian burial." Edmund had little idea what had happened to Father's corpse after Hastings, or even if there was enough left to bury, only that Mother had been made to identify it but neither she nor their recently departed Grandmother had been allowed to claim it. Assuming the Bastard hadn't just left it to rot in a mass grave with the other casualties of Hastings, he probably handed it off to one of his underlings for burial someplace far away from home, where he belonged. His mouth turned a little dry as he pondered how best to justify this request for the body of a man who'd snatched Edgar's throne. "I completely understand you may not hold him in the highest regard, to say the least. But he was a fellow Christian, my liege. And he did defend this fair isle against the fury of Norway's Hard-Ruler, who fancied himself a reborn Son of Ragnar Lothbrok." He'd quickly decided it was probably best to leave out any mention of William, who (unlike the 'last of the Vikings') was still held in some regard by the Anglo-Norman court and whose followers.

"So I have," Edmund replied, smiling as he usually did. "I've been familiarizing myself with my subjects, and have recently married the daughter of one of my thegns. Happy people are loyal and productive people, in my experience. I have also initiated construction of a proper burh near Lena and Snettisham, in case certain somebodies from across the sea cross here with the intent of breaking the tranquility of the kingdom and ending the happiness of its people." By now Edmund knew, as anyone who wasn't living under a rock did, that a rival King had been crowned across the Channel. One of the Bastard's brood, with his uncle as regent. Well, he had no intention of going out like Uncle Gyrth had, should the Normans be mad enough to attack England once again.

"My king, I've also come here to make a request for the body of my and Godwin's father, that we might give him a proper Christian burial." Edmund had little idea what had happened to Father's corpse after Hastings, or even if there was enough left to bury, only that Mother had been made to identify it but neither she nor their recently departed Grandmother had been allowed to claim it. Assuming the Bastard hadn't just left it to rot in a mass grave with the other casualties of Hastings, he probably handed it off to one of his underlings for burial someplace far away from home, where he belonged. His mouth turned a little dry as he pondered how best to justify this request for the body of a man who'd snatched Edgar's throne. "I completely understand you may not hold him in the highest regard, to say the least. But he was a fellow Christian, my liege. And he did defend this fair isle against the fury of Norway's Hard-Ruler, who fancied himself a reborn Son of Ragnar Lothbrok." He'd quickly decided it was probably best to leave out any mention of William, who (unlike the 'last of the Vikings') was still held in some regard by the Anglo-Norman court and whose followers.
    This request surprised the King. He’d not given much thought to the final fate of Harold Godwinson, and in truth did not know exactly where he was interred. Somewhere near Hastings is what he’d been told, the mangled body of the King finally laid to rest and a chapel erected over the remains.

”I shall not refuse it. I only wish I knew where he was buried. Perhaps near the battlefield?”

Some of the peasants had invented stories that Harold still lived in exile. God bless their fanciful minds.

"Thank you, Your Grace." Edmund replied with another bow, voice filled with sincere gratitude. "I agree, the environs of Caldbec Hill seem to be the most likely burial ground. I shall start my search there." He doubted the Normans would bother moving his father's corpse very far from the field of battle, it was too much effort for a man who was the victor's sworn enemy and thus would've merited little to no honoring in Norman eyes. "Might I ask if you at least know who among William's knights was entrusted with the body?"

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

"The barons made Edgar Adelin king." Odo told his nephew, deciding to be blunt.

He gestures at the man on the other side of the bed. Odo then pauses, and glances at the Confessor's unlikely but apparently destined heir.

"That's enough for now, isn't it?"

"Thank you, Your Grace." Edmund replied with another bow, voice filled with sincere gratitude. "I agree, the environs of Caldbec Hill seem to be the most likely burial ground. I shall start my search there." He doubted the Normans would bother moving his father's corpse very far from the field of battle, it was too much effort for a man who was the victor's sworn enemy and thus would've merited little to no honoring in Norman eyes. "Might I ask if you at least know who among William's knights was entrusted with the body?"
    “Lord Montfort, I think?”

Edgar couldn’t really remember. It was some idle boast made by one of the knights.

“I wish you luck, nonetheless.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post

He gestures at the man on the other side of the bed. Odo then pauses, and glances at the Confessor's unlikely but apparently destined heir.

”Your brother has taken Normandy from you, also.”

Edgar continued, choosing to pile on the bad news. It was perhaps a little callous, but his sympathy was limited.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

“As you say. We will see how valuable these connections prove to be.”

Edgar somewhat doubted the power of the Frankish kings, but they would be useful for hemming in Normandy. Ties with Scotland would help enforce his natural position as overlord of the isles.

—-

“Cumbria was part of the kingdom my uncle ruled, and those who came before him. Take it by whatever means necessary.”

Ties with Scotland were important, but England’s integrity moreso. They could not simply allow Malcolm to annex vast swathes of Northumbria without answer.

I hear your sister has returned to court, my King. Have you considered a suitor for her hand?

William felt he hadn't given much in terms of advice, as a royally appointed councilor, compared to say his father-in-law, Gerold the Kingmaker.

Have you considered an internal or external marriage?

==================

I shall return North then, Sire, and ensure Cumbria is returned.

It would require money, pressure and political maneuvering to re-acquire Cumbria. Osulf considered a couple possibilities to ensure the land was returned without damaging Scottish-English relations.

Once the frontier is restored, we can look to build castles to deter Scottish raids. I hear the Earls of the Lowlands do not always follow the King's direction after all.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Citizen

Edgar nodded in assent.

“Very good. I shall expect to hear from him in the month.”
    Richard bowed
    With your permission I shall take my leave and return to my lands

Section Editor ES

“Lord Montfort, I think?”

Edgar couldn’t really remember. It was some idle boast made by one of the knights.

“I wish you luck, nonetheless.”
    "Thank you, Your Grace. I will begin my search at once." Edmund answered, bowing deeply once more. He turned to depart, unless King Edgar had further need of him.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

"Killed in battle. The same one you took your wound. Victory came at a high price."

But one that Edgar was glad had been paid. In a few days he had transitioned from some lord's squire to the King of England.

"But victory nonetheless. The Earls came to a peace, and the kingdom is secure."

”Your brother has taken Normandy from you, also.”

Edgar continued, choosing to pile on the bad news. It was perhaps a little callous, but his sympathy was limited.
    Still taken aback by the loss of his father, the news that he was now landless and without title seemed to register and then be disregarded without consequence, as though this was all some cruel trick. His head pounding he looks to his uncle who seemed somber but steady, and then to Edgar. King Edgar; though the weight of those words had yet to truly set in, who seemed to be holding back a sly smile as though this whole situation held humor in it.

Looking back to his uncle now "Why does god test us so? What have I done to deserve this?"

Turning back to Edgar "And what is to become of me now?"

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

“I think you should rest. I will have quarters prepared for you.”

Even if he wanted Curthose to leave, the Count of Maine was in no shape to do so; months wasting away in bed had undoubtedly weakened him. The monks had allowed his hair and beard to grow out, and so the eldest son of William now resembled a wandering hermit in appearance. The King then looked over at Odo, expectantly.

”After that, I think we all should discuss what the future holds.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post

I hear your sister has returned to court, my King. Have you considered a suitor for her hand?

William felt he hadn't given much in terms of advice, as a royally appointed councilor, compared to say his father-in-law, Gerold the Kingmaker.

Have you considered an internal or external marriage?

==================

I shall return North then, Sire, and ensure Cumbria is returned.

It would require money, pressure and political maneuvering to re-acquire Cumbria. Osulf considered a couple possibilities to ensure the land was returned without damaging Scottish-English relations.

Once the frontier is restored, we can look to build castles to deter Scottish raids. I hear the Earls of the Lowlands do not always follow the King's direction after all.
    ”Not yet. But I probably will have to.”

The King sighed. He did not enjoy such mundane tasks, important though they were.

”Why? Do you have any suggestions?”

—-

“Friendship only goes so far. We need to remind our brother that we are the stronger.”

Agreed the King.

Citizen

Upon returning from Goodrich Gilbert de Clare is sent by his father to Westminster Palace to meet with the King

Section Editor ES

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Godwin stood triumphant with the zking, and directed a sneaky glance his way. "You saw the boar, so both best cuts are yours.

Though you will end up fat as a Norman on such a diet, Sire."
    the Ealderman paused, obviously hesitating l, before continuing. "Would I be welcome, your Grace, to remain at Court?"