Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    His arms were pulled from behind his back and folded across this torso. He exhaled audibly, preparing himself.

"Speak, then."

"I suggest that you might consider crowning William's son Richard as King as well. A co-king, if you will."

Odo paused, waiting to see how Edgar would react.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Now that peace has restored to this blessed realm, i see fit to tackle ecclesiastical issues at hand."

The archbishop deduced from the king he'd likely was not interested in these matters.

"York has unrightfully claimed authority over the sees of Lichfield and Dorcester, sees that belong to Canterbury" Stigand said so hesitatingly, perhaps he was too blunt or aggressive here in approach.

Both York and Canterbury had tried to set up Edgar before but the fact that York claimed authority over these sees irked him greatly, even creating a rivalry. York had to be undone somehow.

"May i ask for the opinion of the crown of this issue?" He'd of course hope that he would get the backing of the crown.

"I don't really care. Why should this be an issue?"

Edgar drummed his fingers on the armrest. He didn't see any reason why Canterbury and York should squabble over something so... Small. He wasn't even sure where the dividing line between the two of them even was.

"This is a church affair. Why do I need to get involved?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "We are twins, Sire." What Godwin thought of this "Saxon" King, he wasn't entirely sure. "I'm fair enough with a bow, though far from a champion. I prefer a Dane axe."

Godwin wore his hair long, in the Saxon style, and a long, braided moustache graced his face. "May I?" He gestured to the bow.
    Edgar nodded, and the squire handed it over to him. It was of Frankish make, shorter and more compact than those bows that the Welsh employed. A hunting bow, not made for war.

"Of course. You fought with the Earls and their Housecarls."

It was known to the King that Godwin had fought in the opposing army multiple times, though they'd never been close upon the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post
    "I suggest that you might consider crowning William's son Richard as King as well. A co-king, if you will."

Odo paused, waiting to see how Edgar would react.

"Share power? With a child?"

He visibly balked at the suggestion.

"Why would I do that? William did not do the same for me."

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"Frankia, then. Or one of William's distant kin. It might ease the doubts of the barons."

He'd have the clerics search through lines of descent, or whatever it is they do. They might find someone in England or abroad with the 'right' bloodline to marry.

"I'll leave it in your hands. I don't have the patience to decide these things."

Edgar gave a sheepish grin.

"I will see what candidates are available my king but the final decision will be your call." He says considering Frankia maybe, but Williams blood would be best.

"How have you found the early days of your reign Edgar?" He asked allowing himself to be more familiar in a private setting.

"I don't know who to trust. They all tell me they are loyal, but Mortain told me that many of the Normans would turn if William's son was to cross over the channel."

Edgar confided. He could count the people he knew to be trustworthy upon one hand.

"Some of them will betray me, sooner rather than later. I know it."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Godwin glanced at Edgar. By any English law, he was an Earl. Regardless, he eyed the target and drew the bow, unleashing the arrow. It hit wide, striking near the edge. He grimaced. "A throwing axe or a seax is better." Godwin turned to survey the Aethling, a man near his own age. "I was one of the commanders, Sire, and I was impressed by the Welshmen under my command and their bows, but I have no real talent for shooting."

"I don't know who to trust. They all tell me they are loyal, but Mortain told me that many of the Normans would turn if William's son was to cross over the channel."

Edgar confided. He could count the people he knew to be trustworthy upon one hand.

"Some of them will betray me, sooner rather than later. I know it."

Gerold sighed, "It is possible they will." In truth it was likely some would much rather have Williams kin on the throne. "I had hoped a marriage to Williams daughter would have settled matters, but never crossed the channel it seems. Now your best option is to show that you are a strong king and make it clear that moving against you will cost them more then it will gain. Many followed William out of loyalty, but not all. Some will be content with their land grants and support you since you secure their position."

"Share power? With a child?"

He visibly balked at the suggestion.

"Why would I do that? William did not do the same for me."
    "You're not William of Falaise, god preserve his immortal soul. You're Edgar of the West Saxons."

Odo rolled his eyes and shrugged with his left shoulder, throwing out the rhetoric.

"Another king being crowned from one of William's sons is more likely to keep your kingdom secure. Your kingdom."

The bishop made another pause while slouched a little in place.

"It appeases souls like mine, who fought to put my brother on the throne, and makes the future more certain."
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 15, 2018 at 02:57 AM.

Godwin glanced at Edgar. By any English law, he was an Earl. Regardless, he eyed the target and drew the bow, unleashing the arrow. It hit wide, striking near the edge. He grimaced. "A throwing axe or a seax is better." Godwin turned to survey the Aethling, a man near his own age. "I was one of the commanders, Sire, and I was impressed by the Welshmen under my command and their bows, but I have no real talent for shooting."
    Edgar watched as the arrow hit the rounded edge.

"Yes, those bows are quite something. Not even the strongest men of our camp could draw them."

The Welsh delighted in watching the Normans struggle to draw the massive bows that they had brought with them. It seems the Welsh had unlocked the secret to some hidden strength.

"You should practice. I would have you hunt with me near Windsor."

It was the King's favourite hunting locale, located nearby a castle William had built. A handy spot to retire to after the day's exertions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gerold sighed, "It is possible they will." In truth it was likely some would much rather have Williams kin on the throne. "I had hoped a marriage to Williams daughter would have settled matters, but never crossed the channel it seems. Now your best option is to show that you are a strong king and make it clear that moving against you will cost them more then it will gain. Many followed William out of loyalty, but not all. Some will be content with their land grants and support you since you secure their position."
    "As you say."

Nodded Edgar. Despite the recent rebellion, he felt he could trust his Saxon subjects much more than his Norman ones. A trust that stemmed from understanding.

"And how do I project strength? Remove my rivals?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post
    "You're not William of Falaise, god preserve his immortal soul. You're Edgar of the West Saxons."

Odo rolled his eyes and shrugged with his left shoulder, throwing out the rhetoric.

"Another king being crowned from one of William's sons is more likely to keep your kingdom secure. Your kingdom."

The bishop made another pause while slouched a little in place.

"It appeases souls like mine, who fought to put my brother on the throne, and makes the future more certain."
    "I shall take counsel upon it."

Edgar affirmed, after a long pause. He'd soon figured out that this was an ideal response to give to a proposal you were unsure of without causing disappointment. And this was an uncomfortable conversation.

"Perhaps your point is worth considering."

Edgar watched as the arrow hit the rounded edge.

"Yes, those bows are quite something. Not even the strongest men of our camp could draw them."

The Welsh delighted in watching the Normans struggle to draw the massive bows that they had brought with them. It seems the Welsh had unlocked the secret to some hidden strength.

"You should practice. I would have you hunt with me near Windsor."

It was the King's favourite hunting locale, located nearby a castle William had built. A handy spot to retire to after the day's exertions.

"As you say."

Nodded Edgar. Despite the recent rebellion, he felt he could trust his Saxon subjects much more than his Norman ones. A trust that stemmed from understanding.

"And how do I project strength? Remove my rivals?"

Edgar affirmed, after a long pause. He'd soon figured out that this was an ideal response to give to a proposal you were unsure of without causing disappointment. And this was an uncomfortable conversation.

"After the Wye, I found a man, a knight. One of those arrows punched through his shield, then his mail-clad chest and burst out the other side to strike deeply enough to badly wound the horse." It had been an absurd thing to find, to see that all that armour had proven worthless.

The Saxon ex-prince blinked, surprised by the offer. "I would be honoured, Sire." He nocked another arrow and let it fly, striking a little more truly this time. "Though I may be more use with a boar spear than a bow."

"After the Wye, I found a man, a knight. One of those arrows punched through his shield, then his mail-clad chest and burst out the other side to strike deeply enough to badly wound the horse." It had been an absurd thing to find, to see that all that armour had proven worthless.

The Saxon ex-prince blinked, surprised by the offer. "I would be honoured, Sire." He nocked another arrow and let it fly, striking a little more truly this time. "Though I may be more use with a boar spear than a bow."

"It has been some time since I have hunted boar."

He'd seen one brought down before by his uncle's men, though that was many years ago now. The King was yet to come face to face with such an animal himself.

"We'll have it your way. We shall ride to Windlesora tomorrow. I don't like staying near London for long."

The Thames created an almighty stink, and though Westminster was further from the river the stench occasionally drifted towards the Palace.

"That is no easy choice. Some will see mercy as a sign of weakness. Others will see it as strength. You must make choices on your own, and decide how you want to rule. Make it clear that they are relying on you to maintain their power." He looks down and frowns, "If Williams kin crosses the channel none will rise up if they think they will not benefit from his rule more then they benefit from yours."

Gerold knew the Saxons would be staying with Edgar if that happened, but the Normans would not all be trustworthy.

"It has been some time since I have hunted boar."

He'd seen one brought down before by his uncle's men, though that was many years ago now. The King was yet to come face to face with such an animal himself.

"We'll have it your way. We shall ride to Windlesora tomorrow. I don't like staying near London for long."

The Thames created an almighty stink, and though Westminster was further from the river the stench occasionally drifted towards the Palace.
    "As you wish, Sire." How Godwin felt about this he wasn't sure, he found himself liking Edgar, but disliking his associates, manners and policy. He was supposed to be a Saxon, but he showered his Norman followers with the wealth that rightfully belonged to his Saxon vassals. "London is truly a hellish, foul place. Eoferwic and Tamworth are far more pleasant cities, in my own humble opinion."

Odo hesitates, then accepts his audience has ended for the time being.

"I won't be far, for a time. I won't leave my nephew until he has passed over, at least. Do let me know what you decide, my lord."
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 15, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

"I don't really care. Why should this be an issue?"

Edgar drummed his fingers on the armrest. He didn't see any reason why Canterbury and York should squabble over something so... Small. He wasn't even sure where the dividing line between the two of them even was.

"This is a church affair. Why do I need to get involved?"
    "There's no need to be involved if his grace wishes, i just wanted to hear a different opinion on the matter, and as you say it is just a minor matter." Apparently the king was disinterested in the ecclesiastical affairs of his realm. He'd decided to drop the matter to please his king, there was no point in stressing the point here. He'd learned that after all these years

"Has there been any news about Curthose, if i may inquire?" Curthose needed to be rid of, stigand didn't want another Norman on the throne, they didn't bring him profit enough.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Whilst Gilbert de Clare was in Goodrich with his Uncle, Richard de Clare took this opportunity to seek an audience with the King.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "That is no easy choice. Some will see mercy as a sign of weakness. Others will see it as strength. You must make choices on your own, and decide how you want to rule. Make it clear that they are relying on you to maintain their power." He looks down and frowns, "If Williams kin crosses the channel none will rise up if they think they will not benefit from his rule more then they benefit from yours."

Gerold knew the Saxons would be staying with Edgar if that happened, but the Normans would not all be trustworthy.

”As you say. It will be hard to keep everyone happy. Impossible, even.”

Agreed Edgar. Somehow he would have to unite Saxon and Norman under one English king.

"As you wish, Sire." How Godwin felt about this he wasn't sure, he found himself liking Edgar, but disliking his associates, manners and policy. He was supposed to be a Saxon, but he showered his Norman followers with the wealth that rightfully belonged to his Saxon vassals. "London is truly a hellish, foul place. Eoferwic and Tamworth are far more pleasant cities, in my own humble opinion."

”I prefer the countryside, myself. I’ve become accustomed to enjoying the outside upon horseback.”

The King had acquired a keen taste for horse flesh in the past few years.

”I shall build a hunting lodge near Eoferwic, I think. For when I get tired of the south.”

He had enjoyed his time in York, and the north was at the heart of his Saxon support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "There's no need to be involved if his grace wishes, i just wanted to hear a different opinion on the matter, and as you say it is just a minor matter." Apparently the king was disinterested in the ecclesiastical affairs of his realm. He'd decided to drop the matter to please his king, there was no point in stressing the point here. He'd learned that after all these years

"Has there been any news about Curthose, if i may inquire?" Curthose needed to be rid of, stigand didn't want another Norman on the throne, they didn't bring him profit enough.

”Still dying. God preserve him.”

Edgar crossed himself. As far as he knew, Robert was still lying comatose in Westminster, showing no sign of recovery.

“Why?”

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Whilst Gilbert de Clare was in Goodrich with his Uncle, Richard de Clare took this opportunity to seek an audience with the King.
    De Clare is admitted into the audience chamber at Westminster, not long after the Christmas celebrations had taken place. Edgar had worn his great-uncle’s crown for the occasion, but the jewel encrusted regalia had once again been replaced with a simple golden circlet. The Baron is called before the throne, where the King waits upon the dais.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

De Clare is admitted into the audience chamber at Westminster, not long after the Christmas celebrations had taken place. Edgar had worn his great-uncle’s crown for the occasion, but the jewel encrusted regalia had once again been replaced with a simple golden circlet. The Baron is called before the throne, where the King waits upon the dais.
    Richard entered the grand chamber within Westminster, he humbly bows before greeting the King
    Merry Christmas your Majesty, he said joyously. I hope my arrival isn't at a bad time?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

"Not at all."

Replied the King. He'd been entertaining a few noblewomen beforehand, and they now waited in the background for the King to conclude his business with de Clare.

"You are well?"

He asked, politely.

"A wise notion, Sire." Truthfully, Godwin didn't know what else to say. He'd come out petition the confirmation of his title, and instead found the King attempting to befriend him. He was bemused, to say the least.

-----

The next day, Godwin arrived with his boar spear slung over his shoulder, and waited for the King.

"A wise notion, Sire." Truthfully, Godwin didn't know what else to say. He'd come out petition the confirmation of his title, and instead found the King attempting to befriend him. He was bemused, to say the least.

-----

The next day, Godwin arrived with his boar spear slung over his shoulder, and waited for the King.
    A hunting party had begun to gather outside of Westminster Palace, just after the rising of the sun. Normans and Saxons alike waited on horseback for the King to appear; the new King’s household, men who had served William and the northern Earls alike, minor nobles who had entered into Edgar’s favour. The houndmaster has rounded up the dogs, loyal wolfhounds bred to catch and kill whatever dwelt out in the forest. They would ride from west from London, into Berkshire, and begin their chase in the surrounding forests. The King was usually a late riser, but he appeared earlier than usual (though still after all the others had assembled) to greet those who would join him upon today’s hunt. His dogsbody followed close behind, burdened with both a hunting bow and a hefty boar spear.

“Morning, Godwin. Ready to find this boar?”

Edgar trotted over to the eldest of Harold’s sons, looking sprightly.