Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

Brian de Bretagne arrived at the King's behest.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    They are welcomed and given refreshment by a servant whilst William prepares to join them. Which he eventually does. He kindly said "Good to see you! You are the first ones to arive" William was in a good mood today.

“My lord.”

Greeted Rufus, and both brothers bowed their heads in deference to the King. Alan remained silent, simply allowing his elder brother to speak on his behalf.

“I thank you for your generosity, though I am eager to pry my reward from the hands of the Saxons.”

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Bishop Geoffrey de Mowbray, recently appointed Chancellor, arrives at Westminister at the King's invitation.

Raoul II de Tosny and his brother Robert arrive as per the summons.

The Archbishop of York arrives per the King's request

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

The archbishop of Canterbury arrives as requested.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

He finds William looking at some art the previous occupant of the palace left behind. When he noticed him he was joyful "Ah brother! good having you here"
    "Of course it is," Odo smirked, wearing his cleric's cloth. His hair had been completely shaved off after Hastings, leaving him purposely bald - it gave him a crude look.

"My king, as much as that is so, if you keep letting Robert run loose, you may.."

The bishop hesitates. But any man at Hastings had seen him smashing a man's skull open with a club, so it wasn't any personal distaste for violent language - just a formal, superficial one.

"Well, it's just like in Maine, all over again.."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post

“My lord.”

Greeted Rufus, and both brothers bowed their heads in deference to the King. Alan remained silent, simply allowing his elder brother to speak on his behalf.

“I thank you for your generosity, though I am eager to pry my reward from the hands of the Saxons.”
    William gave a polite smile. "Exactly why I have called you here" he replied. "Help yourself to some refreshments. When the others arrive I shall explain." He added as he walked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Richard de Clare and William de Warenne arrive at winchester palace at the behest of the King
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    Brian de Bretagne arrived at the King's behest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Bishop Geoffrey de Mowbray, recently appointed Chancellor, arrives at Westminister at the King's invitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    Raoul II de Tosny and his brother Robert arrive as per the summons.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB222 View Post
    The Archbishop of York arrives per the King's request
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    The archbishop of Canterbury arrives as requested.
    They are all welcomed and moved towards the hall where William stood. He gazed over the room as he saw the various barons talk among themselves and wondering why they were here to begin with. He would let them talk for a moment while and advisor whispered some news to him in his ear. After the proper instructions were given he would have a herald ask for silence.

"Barons of England" he bagan roaring through the room. "As many of you know the northern part of this Kingdom remains out of our hands. Some of you have had your lands granted in that very region. Now what kind of King should I be if I were not to fight for your lands?" He asked as he paused to gather a reaction from the crowd. "We shall gather out forces and march, together, on our common enemy and take what is rightfully ours!" He yelled with a brimming confidence trying to inspire and rally his vassals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post
    "Of course it is," Odo smirked, wearing his cleric's cloth. His hair had been completely shaved off after Hastings, leaving him purposely bald - it gave him a crude look.

"My king, as much as that is so, if you keep letting Robert run loose, you may.."

The bishop hesitates. But any man at Hastings had seen him smashing a man's skull open with a club, so it wasn't any personal distaste for violent language - just a formal, superficial one.

"Well, it's just like in Maine, all over again.."
    William laughed a loud. "Modest as ever Odo." he slyly remarked. "I see your hair has finally deserted you." He added as a joke.

William pondered a bit on his brother's remark. "What would you suggest?" he then asked.

They are all welcomed and moved towards the hall where William stood. He gazed over the room as he saw the various barons talk among themselves and wondering why they were here to begin with. He would let them talk for a moment while and advisor whispered some news to him in his ear. After the proper instructions were given he would have a herald ask for silence.

"Barons of England" he bagan roaring through the room. "As many of you know the northern part of this Kingdom remains out of our hands. Some of you have had your lands granted in that very region. Now what kind of King should I be if I were not to fight for your lands?" He asked as he paused to gather a reaction from the crowd. "We shall gather out forces and march, together, on our common enemy and take what is rightfully ours!" He yelled with a brimming confidence trying to inspire and rally his vassals.

"God save you, my liege. With you leading us, the English should tremble. They will fall before us again."

Exulted Rufus. His accent added a lyrical quality to his speech, with every word enunciated to a rhythm.

"When do we march, lord?"

If he sounded eager, then it was because he most definitely was. He had hundreds of men to feed and keep at his side with promises of reward from his newly granted estate.

William laughed a loud. "Modest as ever Odo." he slyly remarked. "I see your hair has finally deserted you." He added as a joke.

William pondered a bit on his brother's remark. "What would you suggest?" he then asked.
    "Obviously, you intend to setup your own army. Order him to wait for it."

Odo knew that William might prefer to let Robert face his own consequences - 'he's a man grown, he can handle himself.'

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Both de Warenne and de Clare held no lands in the north, fighting in this campaign wouldn't benefit them. Despite the lack of benefit both men decide to support the venture as their King would wish.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"Hear hear, great King!" William Perceval, having attended the summons with the other lords who were called up. "Shall we march at once? Those warriors of mine who survived Hastings remain standing, and no less eager to fight than they were while boarding our ships back in Normandy." And, for that matter, Perceval himself was just as eager - all of his assigned lands were in Mercia, well outside of their hands right now.

Also, so this doesn't get forgotten, from the first page...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Aubrey de Vere, newly minted Treasurer of the Kingdom of England, comes to see (and thank) his liege and patron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post

"God save you, my liege. With you leading us, the English should tremble. They will fall before us again."

Exulted Rufus. His accent added a lyrical quality to his speech, with every word enunciated to a rhythm.

"When do we march, lord?"

If he sounded eager, then it was because he most definitely was. He had hundreds of men to feed and keep at his side with promises of reward from his newly granted estate.
    "Hear hear, great King!" William Perceval, having attended the summons with the other lords who were called up. "Shall we march at once? Those warriors of mine who survived Hastings remain standing, and no less eager to fight than they were while boarding our ships back in Normandy." And, for that matter, Perceval himself was just as eager - all of his assigned lands were in Mercia, well outside of their hands right now.
    William was pleased with the general reaction in the room. It seems his vassals were still eager to pick a fight with these Saxons.
    With a grin he replied "We shall march as soon as everyone has assembled their men. It is time to finish what we have started!"

"Obviously, you intend to setup your own army. Order him to wait for it."

Odo knew that William might prefer to let Robert face his own consequences - 'he's a man grown, he can handle himself.'
    William remained silent. "He came to ask for permission, who am I to tell him no? Of course I am assembling men to march north brother. If you really would have it so call him back here." William didnt get what Odo was getting at but if he really wanted this, he could arrange it with the king's blessing.

Also, so this doesn't get forgotten, from the first page...
    De Vere is shown to the king, who's bent over a table looking at some maps. Surely to do with the rumors that William was planning a new campaign.

"Ah Baron de Vere"
    he said while his servants and advisors left the room.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

de Montfort had watched the proceedings with apt patience, choosing to remain quiet, content that most of what he wished to know would likely be asked by others or told by the king himself; feeling satisfied when it did just that. As in the past, the king would set a direction and they would follow. Montfort would follow William to the gates of hell if he asked it.

The kings announcement was of little surprise to the men who knew him, King William would not be satisfied until the whole of this island was under his rule. They would march out to war soon, and likely would again. As the chorus of voices raised up in support of the King, Montfort couldn't help but join them.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

De Vere is shown to the king, who's bent over a table looking at some maps. Surely to do with the rumors that William was planning a new campaign.

"Ah Baron de Vere"
    he said while his servants and advisors left the room.
    "My king, I must first and foremost thank you for appointing this humble knight to the post of Treasurer, atop all the other grants you have issued to me." De Vere said unctuously, kneeling before his liege. "I would propose sending forth officials to begin collecting information on the lands of your new kingdom - who owns what, which estates are more valuable than others, and so on - but I understand that we've just barely begun to settle in here, and that half of England still remains out of our hands, making such an effort impossible right now. Have you settled on a plan to deal with the remaining Saxons?"

"To the North!" Raoul would shout, eager to claim his awarded estates from the control of the Saxons. Robert would also cheer, hoping that he may get a chance to distinguish himself and earn a estate or two.

The bishop frowned and clasped his hands behind his back.

"He will not listen to me. You're his liege, but if that's how you feel about it, that's how it is."

Odo then sets his own eyes on the tapestry William was staring at. It was small. Colorful, but small.

"So, more battles lie ahead in the north?"

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Geoffrey of Mowbray smiled. He was happy to once more march to war, leading men into glorious battle with the Saxons.

"Glory to you, my Lord, rightful King of England! Where do we march, which enemy shall lie dead before this campaign is done?"

Blog Entries

"My king, I must first and foremost thank you for appointing this humble knight to the post of Treasurer, atop all the other grants you have issued to me." De Vere said unctuously, kneeling before his liege. "I would propose sending forth officials to begin collecting information on the lands of your new kingdom - who owns what, which estates are more valuable than others, and so on - but I understand that we've just barely begun to settle in here, and that half of England still remains out of our hands, making such an effort impossible right now. Have you settled on a plan to deal with the remaining Saxons?"
    William smiled politely. "I reward those who serve with distinction." he said.
    He pondered, it seems de Vere had some real idea's about this. "You suggest we should wait on imposing a workable taxation?" he asked.

With the mention of fighting William got excited. "We shall move north with haste. I intend to subdue the lords with haste so this Kingdom will know peace at last."

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    "To the North!" Raoul would shout, eager to claim his awarded estates from the control of the Saxons. Robert would also cheer, hoping that he may get a chance to distinguish himself and earn a estate or two.
    William was very pleased, support on this was vital.

The bishop frowned and clasped his hands behind his back.

"He will not listen to me. You're his liege, but if that's how you feel about it, that's how it is."

Odo then sets his own eyes on the tapestry William was staring at. It was small. Colorful, but small.

"So, more battles lie ahead in the north?"
    "Our brother will come to his senses, I am sure of it." He replied quickly. Wanting to be done with that matter.

William nodded, "Indeed so Odo, we must rid ourselves of these rebels and show this country peace and prosperity so we may quell any other rebellions." He said confidently. William quickly added "I have decided to make you my Marshal Odo" as he returned to gaze at whatever he was doing before his brother came into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Geoffrey of Mowbray smiled. He was happy to once more march to war, leading men into glorious battle with the Saxons.

"Glory to you, my Lord, rightful King of England! Where do we march, which enemy shall lie dead before this campaign is done?"
    William remained silent for a moment. "Where is your brother?" he asked. Missing him in the room. Not waiting for a reply the King would then add. "We shall assemble our host with all haste and deploy screening party's to find our enemy. I have no intentions of simply marching around the north to find our enemy cowering away. We must gain intelligence on them for I wish this to be swift and efficient. Our men have fought enough as is." The well being of the average soldier was important to William as they would for the opinion of his legacy by the tales they tell their children.

Ealdred remained silent after the announcement. He was happy that he may soon be able to return to York safely but he had wished to do so without bloodshed. But the Archbishop had another plan in mind. After the proceedings, he asks for a private audience with the king to discuss some of the matters which troubled his mind.