Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: The Royal Court

”Good. You enjoy hunting, yes?”

Edgar was eager to find some common ground between the two.
    Gilbert would answer truthfully, despite it not being the favoured answer
    If I am to be honest, I haven't hunted before at least not in the official sense but it is something I've always wanted to try. I was always either too young to join or father was too busy to take me onto the hunt.
    And yourself your majesty?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

“I think you should rest. I will have quarters prepared for you.”

Even if he wanted Curthose to leave, the Count of Maine was in no shape to do so; months wasting away in bed had undoubtedly weakened him. The monks had allowed his hair and beard to grow out, and so the eldest son of William now resembled a wandering hermit in appearance. The King then looked over at Odo, expectantly.

”After that, I think we all should discuss what the future holds.”
    Odo's lips stretch into a wry frown and he nods to Edgar.

"Of course," he agrees passively.
    With a heavy yawn "I suppose that would be a good idea, we can finish our discussion later." as an after thought "thank you for seeing to my care."

Some days later....

Robert sat in the long dining hall of the castle breaking his fast with a hearty breakfast of ham, eggs, toast, and sausage. He had lost a lot of weight while he had been out, and it would likely be a few more weeks before he started looking healthy. He had recently had his hair and beard cut as well as received a well needed bath which had done much to improve his appearance. As he eats he reflects on the past, the many changes that have transpired in such a short time, and of the future; particularly his own.

Hearing footsteps he looks up to see men entering the room, among then the king.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Gilbert would answer truthfully, despite it not being the favoured answer
    If I am to be honest, I haven't hunted before at least not in the official sense but it is something I've always wanted to try. I was always either too young to join or father was too busy to take me onto the hunt.
    And yourself your majesty?
    Edgar’s brow visibly furrowed, and he seemed to slump a little in his curule chair. Nonetheless, his lips stretched into a weak smile, and the King’s left hand waved dismissively as if this mattered not.

”No matter. You will learn. The forests of Windsor are full of game.”

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    With a heavy yawn "I suppose that would be a good idea, we can finish our discussion later." as an after thought "thank you for seeing to my care."

Some days later....

Robert sat in the long dining hall of the castle breaking his fast with a hearty breakfast of ham, eggs, toast, and sausage. He had lost a lot of weight while he had been out, and it would likely be a few more weeks before he started looking healthy. He had recently had his hair and beard cut as well as received a well needed bath which had done much to improve his appearance. As he eats he reflects on the past, the many changes that have transpired in such a short time, and of the future; particularly his own.

Hearing footsteps he looks up to see men entering the room, among then the king.
    Robert was shared his age with the King, the difference perhaps being a few months between them. They both had transitioned from the awkward lankiness of adolescence into manhood, and now Edgar stood before Robert in what warriors considered their prime years; they lacked in experience, but were the quickest and the strongest, and their energy was boundless. The King’s fingers idly fiddled with his doublet, brown as the earth, before he straightened it out and clasped his hands before him. In contrast to Robert’s freshly shaven appearance, the King now sported a well trimmed beard, and his previously scalp-cut hair now fell down in waves to his cheeks, crowned by the simple golden circlet he often favoured. At his flanks stood two men of his household, as well as Curthose’s uncle, the Bishop Odo.

”Duke Robert of the Normans.”

Greeted the King, formulaically, welcoming himself to a seat opposite Curthose. His household did likewise, after lining up to pay Robert a slight nod of deference.

”You are well again?”

He asked, poking at the food laid before him by a servant before looking back up at William’s son.

”You look it. I wanted to speak with you regarding your patrimony, and how we shall recover it for you from the usurper Mortain.”

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    ”The see of York is currently vacant, I believe, but Stigand had a dispute with the last Archbishop.”

Edgar folded his arms across his chest.

”I want you to take up the see of York. Bring the ways of Rome to the people.”

Not that Edgar particularly enjoyed roman doctrine, but he felt that the clergy of England would be better served if united under common purpose. His offer was delivered with a degree of nonchalance, as if it was something as small as meat and drink.
    Geoffrey stumbled a little at King Edgar's proposal. Him, the Archbishop of York? It would certainly be a move up from his diocese in Coutances, which he at the moment could not return to. If he were to agree, he would have the Normans across the Channel denounce him as a traitor. Was it the right thing to do? William of Normandy was dead, felled in battle while he had been ill. Was this the will of the Lord? Mowbray did not know.

"I... my King, I am honored. If that is your wish, then it is within your right to invest me with the archdiocese of York. I will do my utmost to bring the word of the Lord to the northern lands of England. Though it is prudent to seek the blessing of Pope Alexander, too."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

”The see of York is currently vacant, I believe, but Stigand had a dispute with the last Archbishop.”

Edgar folded his arms across his chest.

”I want you to take up the see of York. Bring the ways of Rome to the people.”

Not that Edgar particularly enjoyed roman doctrine, but he felt that the clergy of England would be better served if united under common purpose. His offer was delivered with a degree of nonchalance, as if it was something as small as meat and drink.

”No... you didn’t.”

She hesitated for a moment before responding, her eyes darting around the courtyard to check for any observers. Satisfied, she moved to leave, but was stopped by Godwin’s question.

”Scotland? Dreadful. The King was kind enough, but only because he wanted to bed Margaret.”

She grinned ruefully. It wasn’t just for political reasons that he wanted to marry her, that was for sure. The man was ravenous.

”Good. You enjoy hunting, yes?”

Edgar was eager to find some common ground between the two.
    "Rumour says he is a... Virile sort. I suppose it must be true then." Godwin said with a slight smile, the Earl of Wessex tugged his cloak straight, seeking something to do with his hands. "You prefer being back in England then, Lady Cecilia? Or would you rather Hungary?"

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

After following De Montfort's directions and recovering the body of Harold Godwinson from Caldbec Hill...

Edmund Haroldson of the Godwiningas returns to the royal court, first seeking out his elder twin and newly-minted Earl of Wessex Godwin to tell him of the discovery. That done, the twins would seek to jointly meet with the King to discuss the final resting place of their father. (unless, of course, for whatever reason Godwin doesn't wish to come along)

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Edgar’s brow visibly furrowed, and he seemed to slump a little in his curule chair. Nonetheless, his lips stretched into a weak smile, and the King’s left hand waved dismissively as if this mattered not.

”No matter. You will learn. The forests of Windsor are full of game.”

Gilbert smiled, He would rather enjoy hunting with the King.
    Will tomorrow morning be good for you, your majesty?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Geoffrey stumbled a little at King Edgar's proposal. Him, the Archbishop of York? It would certainly be a move up from his diocese in Coutances, which he at the moment could not return to. If he were to agree, he would have the Normans across the Channel denounce him as a traitor. Was it the right thing to do? William of Normandy was dead, felled in battle while he had been ill. Was this the will of the Lord? Mowbray did not know.

"I... my King, I am honored. If that is your wish, then it is within your right to invest me with the archdiocese of York. I will do my utmost to bring the word of the Lord to the northern lands of England. Though it is prudent to seek the blessing of Pope Alexander, too."
    ”I’m sure his holiness will provide assent.”

Edgar dismissed the thought away with a wave of his hand. Like the Pope cared much about the affairs of England anyway.

”Very good. With Canterbury excommunicated, it falls to you to set the affairs of England’s church in order. All that remains now is for the monks of York to bless it, or whatever it is they do.”

At least, that was Edgar’s interpretation of how clergymen were appointed to their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "Rumour says he is a... Virile sort. I suppose it must be true then." Godwin said with a slight smile, the Earl of Wessex tugged his cloak straight, seeking something to do with his hands. "You prefer being back in England then, Lady Cecilia? Or would you rather Hungary?"
    ”England is my home, my lord.”

She chimed, her tone rather nonchalant. There was a brief pause.

”I should take my leave, Lord Godwin.”

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    After following De Montfort's directions and recovering the body of Harold Godwinson from Caldbec Hill...

Edmund Haroldson of the Godwiningas returns to the royal court, first seeking out his elder twin and newly-minted Earl of Wessex Godwin to tell him of the discovery. That done, the twins would seek to jointly meet with the King to discuss the final resting place of their father. (unless, of course, for whatever reason Godwin doesn't wish to come along)
    They find the King wandering the halls of Westminster Palace. Edgar had spent the day exploring the chambers that had lain unused since the days of Edward, and was leading his troupe of retainers through the halls that had been neglected by William upon his arrival.

”Ah, Edmund.”

The King abandoned whatever old tapestry he was peering at and crossed over towards Harold’s second son.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Gilbert smiled, He would rather enjoy hunting with the King.
    Will tomorrow morning be good for you, your majesty?
    ”You’re an early bird, then? Fine, fine.”

The King’s face was stretched by a great grin. It seems he was amused that De Clare was suggesting him a time rather than the other way round.

”Next morning it is, then. Don’t be late.”

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

”I’m sure his holiness will provide assent.”

Edgar dismissed the thought away with a wave of his hand. Like the Pope cared much about the affairs of England anyway.

”Very good. With Canterbury excommunicated, it falls to you to set the affairs of England’s church in order. All that remains now is for the monks of York to bless it, or whatever it is they do.”

At least, that was Edgar’s interpretation of how clergymen were appointed to their positions.
    "As you command, my King. With your endorsement, the northern priests and bishop shall bow soon enough. Then the rest of the Church in England will be brought in line. By your leave, your Grace."

They find the King wandering the halls of Westminster Palace. Edgar had spent the day exploring the chambers that had lain unused since the days of Edward, and was leading his troupe of retainers through the halls that had been neglected by William upon his arrival.

”Ah, Edmund.”

The King abandoned whatever old tapestry he was peering at and crossed over towards Harold’s second son.
    "Hail, King Edgar." Edmund greeted his liege in turn, bowing politely. "Lord de Montfort directed me to my father's body, and I can confirm that he was indeed buried where Montfort said. I now come to you to humbly request that he be laid to rest in Westminster or Saint Swithun's in Winchester, for he was after all an anointed and crowned king of our people." Despite their differences in opinion, Harold Godwinson was a lawfully elected and properly crowned sovereign, in keeping with the traditions of the English. And though he fell to William, he was the reason they hadn't all been killed or driven out of England by Harald Hardrada, and William's own line had been displaced in turn anyway following his own death at more Saxon hands.

"Hail, King Edgar." Edmund greeted his liege in turn, bowing politely. "Lord de Montfort directed me to my father's body, and I can confirm that he was indeed buried where Montfort said. I now come to you to humbly request that he be laid to rest in Westminster or Saint Swithun's in Winchester, for he was after all an anointed and crowned king of our people." Despite their differences in opinion, Harold Godwinson was a lawfully elected and properly crowned sovereign, in keeping with the traditions of the English. And though he fell to William, he was the reason they hadn't all been killed or driven out of England by Harald Hardrada, and William's own line had been displaced in turn anyway following his own death at more Saxon hands.
    The King's expression twisted into a frown. He pretended to be caught up for a moment in some mundane art or tapestry, allowing him time to think before turning back to answer.

"Westminster was built as my uncle's crypt, did you know? It was for him and his kin."

Burying William there seemed only natural: he was Edward's cousin, and had styled himself as his heir by hereditary right just as Edgar did.

"Likewise Winchester is used as the crypt for my other ancestors. Many of my forefathers are buried there."

There was no fixed resting place for kings. Edgar's own father was interred at St.Pauls, and his grandfather at Dunstan's abbey of Glastonbury. In that moment he resolved to visit it at some point.

"It seems a strange request, to bury one who was not of my kin there. Why not his home church?"

There was no anger in his question, merely curiosity.

"He was crowned at Westminster, Your Grace." Edmund explained. Despite the rush to get it done before the Bastard of Normandy and the Hard-Ruler of Norway had landed, it was still a splendid enough ceremony, as far as he recalled. "Moreover his, and my, hometown lacks a church of suitable bearing for a fallen King. Alas, I do not have sufficient funds to both transform the existing church there into one better suited for my father resting place and see to the defense of East Anglia at the same time, either - and while the former may be closer to my heart, the latter is of more pressing need to the kingdom."

"He was crowned at Westminster, Your Grace." Edmund explained. Despite the rush to get it done before the Bastard of Normandy and the Hard-Ruler of Norway had landed, it was still a splendid enough ceremony, as far as he recalled. "Moreover his, and my, hometown lacks a church of suitable bearing for a fallen King. Alas, I do not have sufficient funds to both transform the existing church there into one better suited for my father resting place and see to the defense of East Anglia at the same time, either - and while the former may be closer to my heart, the latter is of more pressing need to the kingdom."
    The King hesitated.

"Lack of funds is no issue. I will sponsor a fitting place for a king's burial."

It was a lot easier to forgive when the wrong had been overcome, Edgar found. What did the priests say - forgive as the Lord forgave you?

"Not my friend in life, but he deserves better than he was given."

Edgar crossed himself. Harold had been a usurper, but so had William been. And so was he.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; June 22, 2018 at 05:29 PM.

"You're most gracious, King Edgar. Thank you." Edmund replied sincerely, bowing once more in gratitude. "I will see if I can spare anything to help cover the cost, as will my brother Godwin, I hope."

Edgar smiled and nodded, and considered the matter successfully closed in his mind.

"Think nothing of it."

The King paused for a while, but turned back to Edmund again, apparently remembering something.

"I have a task for you, Edmund. I want you, when you are able, to go to Bretagne and treat with its Duke. I want to sway them against Mortain, you see, and trouble him a little from afar."

How could Edmund refuse after having witnessed such generosity? "I'll see it done, Your Grace." Godwining replied with a firm nod. "Is there anything you have in mind for an offering to the Duke and Duchess of the Bretons, beyond vengeance for whatever the Normans have done to them?"

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Gerold Bageard arrives to speak with the king.

------------------------------------

Some time later Mar arrives to speak with his friend.

How could Edmund refuse after having witnessed such generosity? "I'll see it done, Your Grace." Godwining replied with a firm nod. "Is there anything you have in mind for an offering to the Duke and Duchess of the Bretons, beyond vengeance for whatever the Normans have done to them?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gerold Bageard arrives to speak with the king.

------------------------------------

Some time later Mar arrives to speak with his friend.

"Perhaps a betrothal? I know little else of value that they want. I shall leave it at your discretion."

Edgar preferred to let his subordinates handle the details. They had a personal stake in getting it right.

--

Both father and son will have heard the news that spread like fire from Cornwall to Northumbria. It was on the lips of every commoner and noble alike that the Queen is dead, and that her husband is in mourning. Gerold would find the king not within Westminster Palace but in the Abbey itself, stood before a small shrine. Candles had been lit and flowers lain before it, and a thick gold cross stood vigil where a saintly statue or icon might stand. A few paces from the king stood Westminster's abbot, a lean and ageing man distinguished in his faith by the typical tonsure and the jet black robes of the Benedictines, fitting for such a period of tragedy. The King himself was dressed in similarly solemn colouring, and today no circlet did rest upon his brow. The beard he had begun sporting had grown longer, now covering his entire jaw in hair.

"Gerold."

A monk had come and announced his arrival to the two, and the King turned to look at him expectantly as he made his approach.

"The abbot says that this shrine is for my blessed uncle Edward, built by the faithful. Miracles have been seen here, by the monks. They tell me that a man was cured of blindness after laying his hands upon it."

He gingerly laid his hand upon the cloth of perfect white that shrouded the table. Edgar's memories of his great-uncle were few and distorted. He remembered him only as authoritative and aloof, a sense of distance between them that could not be breached by their shared kinship. They had only spent a few hours in each other's company since his return from long exile. And then suddenly, he had been gone. Edgar had felt no great loss. Emma's death stung him more, and he'd not known her nearly as long. The abbot watched them both, carefully.

"I have never seen a miracle. Perhaps I am too full of sin, and it is one of my punishments."

He withdrew his hand, and gave a wry smile.

--

Mar's visit sometime later would find the King back at the palace. Some weeks had passed now since the Queen's death, and the King had busied himself in the meantime. Masons had been brought in to Westminster at Edgar's pleasure, and long discussions had been held concerning the raising of an abbey near Windsor in her name. Li Bageard's heir would be brought into the King's apartments at Westminster, for the holding of court had been suspended save for matters of great import. He was sitting down, surrounded by confidantes as always, thoughts undisturbed by their ceaseless gossiping.

"Perhaps a betrothal? I know little else of value that they want. I shall leave it at your discretion."

Edgar preferred to let his subordinates handle the details. They had a personal stake in getting it right.
    "Very well, I shall depart for Brittany as soon as I can." Edmund bows and, unless there was anything else that needed to be said, retreated from the royal presence to make arrangements for the trip to Brittany.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Gerold's face held a look of sympathy as he approached the young king. "I've never believed in miracles Edgar," he said. "It is up to man to make his own destiny." He sighs laying a comforting hand on the lads shoulder. "I have never seen a miracle that did not come from the hard work of a man." He turns now towards the Youth, "I do not know why God took Emma from you this day, but I do not belive it was for your sin Edgar. How are you holding up?"

----------------------------------------------------------

Mar looks at his friend with sympathy. Still he greets his friend formally, to many people were around for him not to. "My king, I was sorry to hear about your loss."