Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627

Thread: The Royal Court

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default Re: The Royal Court

Hugh de Montfort, while on leave in England from his Normandy posting has come to the royal court to confer with the king.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Mowbray, once his presence is known, is brought in to see the King.
    Roger entered and fell to a knee, graciously bowing no matter his personal feelings for the King. Rising again he plainly and without emotion said "What does my father's exile mean to my own position your Grace?" This question would decide the fate of the family. It bore significant meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Hugh de Montfort, while on leave in England from his Normandy posting has come to the royal court to confer with the king.
    Montfort is immediately brought into the inner halls of Windsor to see the King. Edgar stands amongst his closest confidantes, hunting leather caked in mud and dried sweat. A servant dabs at his face with a dampened cloth.

"What news, Montfort?"

The King grasped a goblet of wine and raised it to his lips, drinking deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Roger entered and fell to a knee, graciously bowing no matter his personal feelings for the King. Rising again he plainly and without emotion said "What does my father's exile mean to my own position your Grace?" This question would decide the fate of the family. It bore significant meaning.
    Edgar looked upon Mowbray from the dais, slowly rising from the old King's wooden throne and descending from it.

"You will succeed to your father's lands, Lord Mowbray. I consider his lands and estates forfeit."

For a brief moment there was silence, and it appeared that the King might be considering further punishment behind the hard stare.

"Those estates granted at the last Witan as a trust of his loyalty will return to the crown. The rest belong to you, as his son and heir."

Blog Entries

"What?" Roger answered. The King was mad it seemed. He could only keep punishing a man who did nothing wrong himself. "I have done nothing but do what you asked. I was first to pay the debts you had outlined and now you continue to punish me for things I had no hand in, no control over. Even when the Countess Christina absolved me of any blame in the matter you continue to dole out unwarranted punishments." Mowbray shook his head. If only Talbot had taken this moron's head when he had the chance.

“They were granted to your father with the assumption of loyalty. Then he murdered my brother.”

Edgar continued impassively, pacing laconically around the chamber.

“If you want to appeal, then go to the Witan. This audience is over.”

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Following the conclusion of the Danish invasion, the victorious Earls of Northumbria and Nottingham ride to the King's residence with Siguard Sweynson, his shiny new hostage guarantor of the peace, in tow. The Dane is as well-dressed as his captors and not visibly harmed in any way, of course - Richard Perceval, as a man of honor, is above mistreating highborn captives, much less one who was more or less voluntarily surrendered into his custody.

The Northern and Mercian army's commanders may or may not be present alongside these three, as well. (OOC: depends on their players' decision, of course)

Citizen

"Your Grace, I wished to report on the status of your holdings." ones that seemed to be growing larger, or at least more secure every year. "Your dutchy is well secure, the provincial lords seem content with how things are and are not causing trouble. The harvests have been coming in on time, as have your incomes." Through a combination of encouragement and fear they had been kept in their place. "Moreover your neighbors have been quiet, though that has me more concerned than relieved." all it would take is a sign of weakness for them to attack "I feared the worst when news of the Danes army came, I thought some attack would surely come. And while it did not, I have not let down my guard."

Lord d'Avranches accompanies the large host going south.
    Last edited by chesser2538; August 24, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

Robert de Tosny rides south along with Nottingham and Northumbria.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The marshal Mar li Bageard arrives at the throne room to meet with Edgar. With the sucess againt the Danes some if the Marshals old confidence has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Following the conclusion of the Danish invasion, the victorious Earls of Northumbria and Nottingham ride to the King's residence with Siguard Sweynson, his shiny new hostage guarantor of the peace, in tow. The Dane is as well-dressed as his captors and not visibly harmed in any way, of course - Richard Perceval, as a man of honor, is above mistreating highborn captives, much less one who was more or less voluntarily surrendered into his custody.

The Northern and Mercian army's commanders may or may not be present alongside these three, as well. (OOC: depends on their players' decision, of course)
    They are swiftly admitted into the King's presence at Windsor, which is abuzz with activity. At the news of their victory the King threw a great feast, and his entire court was paying them their respects as they entered the large timber hall.

"The victors return! The Danes are defeated?"

Edgar rose from his throne to greet them personally.

"Your Grace, I wished to report on the status of your holdings." ones that seemed to be growing larger, or at least more secure every year. "Your dutchy is well secure, the provincial lords seem content with how things are and are not causing trouble. The harvests have been coming in on time, as have your incomes." Through a combination of encouragement and fear they had been kept in their place. "Moreover your neighbors have been quiet, though that has me more concerned than relieved." all it would take is a sign of weakness for them to attack "I feared the worst when news of the Danes army came, I thought some attack would surely come. And while it did not, I have not let down my guard."

Lord d'Avranches accompanies the large host going south.

"I am glad to hear that there is peace, though the silence of my foes unnerves me."

Edgar idly scratched at his jaw, bristling with unkempt hair.

"I want to be kept abreast of events in the courts of my enemies. If we can find men to feed us information, I would pay a great price for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    The marshal Mar li Bageard arrives at the throne room to meet with Edgar. With the sucess againt the Danes some if the Marshals old confidence has returned.
    Mar is immediately admitted into the King's presence at Windsor, where he is received in the same manner as the other victors.

"You return in victory, as I anticipated."

​Edgar grinned.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

They are swiftly admitted into the King's presence at Windsor, which is abuzz with activity. At the news of their victory the King threw a great feast, and his entire court was paying them their respects as they entered the large timber hall.

Giffard had heard of the victories done by both Northumbria and Gloucester. It made him grit his teeth knowing his troops had been told to delay. He knew this was Waltheof's fault. That was why he sent his troops down a certain route. However, he merely kept his expression neutral and bowed to the King.

They have been, Sire. York has been reclaimed, Canute has been forced off of these lands and sent back to Denmark with a tattered force.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"I am glad to hear that there is peace, though the silence of my foes unnerves me."

"I want to be kept abreast of events in the courts of my enemies. If we can find men to feed us information, I would pay a great price for it."

Mar is immediately admitted into the King's presence at Windsor, where he is received in the same manner as the other victors.

"You return in victory, as I anticipated."

​Edgar grinned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Giffard had heard of the victories done by both Northumbria and Gloucester. It made him grit his teeth knowing his troops had been told to delay. He knew this was Waltheof's fault. That was why he sent his troops down a certain route. However, he merely kept his expression neutral and bowed to the King.

They have been, Sire. York has been reclaimed, Canute has been forced off of these lands and sent back to Denmark with a tattered force.
    "So they have been, as Lord Hereford says." Richard added with a sweeping bow. "We nearly had them in our first engagement, and once reinforced, vanquished them quite soundly in the second. Canute's army has gone home in defeat and returned what they've stolen from the people of the North. Moreover, may I present Sigurd Sweynson, a brother of Canute's..." He gestured for the Danish princeling to come forth. "Canute made no secret of his desire for a marital link between his house and yours, my king. But he has no children of his own and his sisters in Denmark are neither part of his plan nor under his authority, and I could not simply take promises of possibilities that have yet to pass as a guarantee that he or his kin would not come to attack our shores again in the future; so until he has a son or daughter, and of course depending on whether you choose to pursue such a marital alliance, Sigurd here will do as a guarantor of the peace between England and Denmark."

Citizen

"I am sure the the right kind of men can be found."
    These days a man would sell his own mother for the right price. "I will let you know as soon as I know something."

"I think it would also be prudent to increase our patrols and to construct watchtowers near the border. That way if an attack does come we will not be caught unaware." If the Flems lost the element of surprise their offensive would quickly los momentum.

Mar nods smiling as he greets his freind. "The danish fleet was crushed with ease." Mar says acknowledging the feat. "They were caught comepletly unawares as we sailed from the south."

Blog Entries

“They were granted to your father with the assumption of loyalty. Then he murdered my brother.”

Edgar continued impassively, pacing laconically around the chamber.

“If you want to appeal, then go to the Witan. This audience is over.”
    Roger was fuming with rage. How could this man be so unjust. He wasn't about to leave just yet either.
    "Have I not displayed utter loyalty your Grace? I ask you to reconsider. Is this truly the example you wish to set for the people who loyally follow you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "So they have been, as Lord Hereford says." Richard added with a sweeping bow. "We nearly had them in our first engagement, and once reinforced, vanquished them quite soundly in the second. Canute's army has gone home in defeat and returned what they've stolen from the people of the North. Moreover, may I present Sigurd Sweynson, a brother of Canute's..." He gestured for the Danish princeling to come forth. "Canute made no secret of his desire for a marital link between his house and yours, my king. But he has no children of his own and his sisters in Denmark are neither part of his plan nor under his authority, and I could not simply take promises of possibilities that have yet to pass as a guarantee that he or his kin would not come to attack our shores again in the future; so until he has a son or daughter, and of course depending on whether you choose to pursue such a marital alliance, Sigurd here will do as a guarantor of the peace between England and Denmark."

"Very good. I assume the presence of his brother will hold him to his word."

Or not. Sigurd was another rival for the throne, but blood was blood.

"Our war is over then. You will remain Northumbria, and keep Harold's lands in trust for yourself until he is of age."

"I am sure the the right kind of men can be found."
    These days a man would sell his own mother for the right price. "I will let you know as soon as I know something."

"I think it would also be prudent to increase our patrols and to construct watchtowers near the border. That way if an attack does come we will not be caught unaware." If the Flems lost the element of surprise their offensive would quickly los momentum.

"Arrange it as you see fit."

Perhaps Normandy was due a visit, now the situation in England had becalmed significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Mar nods smiling as he greets his freind. "The danish fleet was crushed with ease." Mar says acknowledging the feat. "They were caught comepletly unawares as we sailed from the south."
    "No easy task. The honour of victory is yours, and I have a suitable reward in mind."

Edgar gave a subtle grin.

"You are still married, are you not? To the Montfort girl. The quiet one."

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Roger was fuming with rage. How could this man be so unjust. He wasn't about to leave just yet either.
    "Have I not displayed utter loyalty your Grace? I ask you to reconsider. Is this truly the example you wish to set for the people who loyally follow you?"

"It is the example I set to those who murder and make war upon my own subjects. I have said enough. You will go."

Edgar remonstrated once more, before swatting Mowbray away with a dismissive gesture. He paced back towards his throne, and a few men were ready to see him out should it turn to violence.

Blog Entries

"I have murdered nor warred upon any of your subjects yet you continue to punish me while the man who did massacre hordes of innocents people remains in your favor. This is no justice, this is nepotism that only alienates your subjects from you." Mowbray said as he was making for the door. The king was completely inept at giving out justice and was seemingly completely losing his mind on all accords.

Mar pauses listening to the kings words. "Yes Montforts daughter." He had several children by her now even if there was no passion in their relationship.

Citizen

"Arrange it as you see fit." Perhaps Normandy was due a visit, now the situation in England had becalmed significantly.
    "I will do so." and he well intended to. If left unattended Normandy was a powder keg.

"Now that the Normandy problem has been addressed, there is a more personal situation I wished to bring up."
    Having served over a decade without issue under this king, Hugh hoped he would hear him out.