Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default The Royal Court

The court of the King of England is fluid and mobile, located wherever the King chooses to reside. This could be in any number of the royal residence scattered across southern England. The most prominent of these is the palace outside London on Thorney Island (or “West Minster”) built by King Eadward in 1045 to sit alongside the abbey he constructed in the same location; both King Eadward and King William are buried within. The King usually spends Christmas here. Inside the walls of London itself is the castle known as the “White Tower”, built by William of Normandy following his conquest, and a symbol of the King’s authority over the city.

Half a day’s ride from the city is Windlesora Castle, located within one of the favourite royal hunting grounds. Further from London still is the palace at Winchester, the traditional residence of the West-Saxon kings, and in the cathedral there many of the old Kings of England are buried. The King does not stay here often, only visiting here upon solemn occasions to commemorate fallen ancestors or for official reasons, though the treasury is housed here under De Vere’s keeping. At Easter, the King usually travels to the palace at Gloucester to celebrate, and returns to Windlesora during the summer months to hunt in the surrounding forests.

Berkhamsted Castle has been granted to the Queen as a residence, and the King’s own royal mother used to reside at Cheddar Palace in a position of honour, signifying her status as once being a potential queen of England as wife of Edward Ætheling. It has since fallen into disuse.

Royal castles and residences

Westminster Palace
    Tower of London - London - Stone Wall
    York Castle - York - Stone Wall
    Gloucester Castle - Gloucester - Stone Keep
    Dover Castle - Dover - Stone Keep
    Windsor Palace - Windsor - Stone Keep
    Berkhamstead Castle - Berkhamstead - M&B
    Winchester Palace - Winchester - M&B
    Stutfall Castle - Lympne - M&B
    Hastings Castle - Battle/Hastings/Bodiam/Winchelsea/Camber - M&B
    Carisbrooke Castle - Isle of Wight - M&B
    Warblington Castle - Petersfield/Warblington - M&B
    Lewes Castle - Lewes/Chailey - M&B
    Holywell Castle - M&B

Royal buildings
    Tier I:
    Tenant Homesteads
    Castle Village
    Armed Peasants
    Local Blacksmiths

Tier II:
    Peasant Farmsteads
    Castle Town
    Fyrd Barracks

Tier III:
    Rented Estates
    Castle Market

Other Royal Buildings

Westminster Abbey - Located opposite Westminster Palace, it is the purpose built tomb of Edward the Confessor. It also housed his successor, William Magnus, but the body was recently moved to the Abbey of Saint-Etienne, in Caen.
    Windsor Chapel - Located within the King's complex at Windsor, this modest church was built in memory of the deceased wife and daughter of King Edgar, both named Emma. It houses their remains.
    Hollywell Chapel - Built on the site of Gilbert de Clare's death, it serves as a monument for his sacrifice. The King eventually plans to turn it into an abbey.

The Royal Household

The King

EDGAR, KING OF THE ENGLISH
    Known as Edgar of Hungary or Edgar the Fortunate.
    Son of Edward the Exile, who in turn was the son of King Edmund Ironside, eldest son of King Ethelred Unraed.

“… What little is known of Edgar’s early life is that he spent it in Hungary, a child of the exiled Edward, nephew and namesake of the last King. It is said that Edward enjoyed the favour of Andrew, their King, and helped him reclaim his lost patrimony. As a symbol of this friendship, Edward wed King Andrew's kinswoman, Agatha, a relative of the Emperor, who became mother to Margaret in 1045, Edgar in 1051, and Cristina in 1057. Five year after his birth, he was summoned to Engleterre with his father, who was to be named as the childless King’s heir. The Earl Harold Godwinson was sent to fetch them, and in the next year they arrived by ship to the court of Edwardus Rex, who welcomed his nephew as a father would a son. Edward was no longer an exile, and arrangements were being made for him to be recognised as the King's heir before the English nobles.

The sudden death of Edgar’s father shortly after his arrival ultimately proved to be the work of God, for it led to our dear lord and king William to be promised the throne in his stead. Edgar, a boy of five, was raised and tutored in the court of Edward, and was granted the distinction of Adelinus due to their shared kinship. Other than this, the King showed his nephew no distinction, with Edgar considered too distant his kin and too young to be considered a fitting heir to England's throne. When Edward, God rest him, passed into heaven, the Earl Harold unrightfully usurped the crown and was justly slain by our noble lord William. Edgar was briefly crowned by the English as their King, but, when confronted by our Lord's righteousness, acknowledged the superiority of his claim and paid homage to him as the rightful King of the English. After our lord’s coronation, he became a member of his court, and was not permitted to leave his side, for the Earls in the north were conspiring to raise him up as their King once again …”

"... After the death of our lord William, there was no clear successor to negotiate with the English, and so the lords of England once again elected Edgar as our King. He made peace with the Earls Osulf and Morcar, and was crowned King in 1068 at Westminster..."

Marital Status:
    Widower of Emma of France. Now married to Cecilia of Normandy.

Children:
    Emma of Westminster, daughter of Emma of France (deceased)
    Edward of Rouen, acclaimed junior King by the Witan (4)
    Mary of Windsor, an illegitimate daughter (5)

Traits:
    +2 charisma
    +1 survival
    +2 personal combat
    +1 battles

Temperaments:

Idealistic:
    This person is a strong believer in higher ideals and the innate goodness of man. On the one hand they tend to be inspiring and uplifting figures, on the other they can be taken advantage of by those who live well beneath their expectations. +1 Charisma, -1 to rout/assassination/escape rolls.

Confident: This character is very self-assured, brimming with confidence and difficult to shake even under pressure. However, taken to an extreme, they can show a suicidal disregard for their life and the lives of others, and fail to take...well, failure into account when planning. +1 battle rolls, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

The King's Comitatus:
    Godwin Godwinson, Earl of Wessex
    Hugh de Lacy, Baron Lacy
    William de Clare, Baron of Tamworth
    Sir Walter de Lacy
    Roger de Mowbray

Last edited by Gandalfus; August 23, 2018 at 05:55 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

Lord Gerold li Bageard arrives to speak with the king over dinner per invitation.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Servants bring him to the king, who was standing, overlooking a table with a map on it. It displayed the land gifts and the land not yet under Norman control.

"Ah Lord Gerrold"William said as he regained his posture. "I trust the journey went well?"

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Servants bring him to the king, who was standing, overlooking a table with a map on it. It displayed the land gifts and the land not yet under Norman control.

"Ah Lord Gerrold"William said as he regained his posture. "I trust the journey went well?"

"Very Lord my King. It has been nice not to be on campaign for a brief time." He paused waiting for the king to bring in the topic of their meeting.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Robert slowly paced the halls of the castle, taking in his new home. Thinking to himself how different it was to their lands of Normandy. An unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar land; it would certainly take some getting used to.
    Last edited by chesser2538; May 30, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "Very Lord my King. It has been nice not to be on campaign for a brief time." He paused waiting for the king to bring in the topic of their meeting.
    The king was dressed in some fine robes, a welcome change from the armor he had been wearing for the past few weeks. William plucked an apple from the table and took a bite while he eyeballed Gerrold. "Tell me lord Gerrold, what was your idea again?" William knew what the men wanted but he had learned to make people repeat themselves.

"The buisness of the Edgar boy." Gerold says nodding once to the king, "I would believe the Welsh marches would be a wise place for him. While on the border there is little chance of Saxon Lords trying to use the boy as a rallying point for rebellion and in my care I can see him given a proper Norman education. I have spoken with the boy once his French is currently lacking. I also have a sons of about the boys ages he won't be alone. With my guidance i would see the boy be a proper asset to your new Kingdom."

Blog Entries

William nodded in approval. "That would be a wise suggestion indeed Lord Gerold. You will be held responsible if something happens to him however" The king noted.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Robert de Mortain arrived to see his brother, Guillaume le Conquérant.

Blog Entries

He was welcomed within the palace. Many servants were busy cleaning and moving furniture around. Conquest had it's benefits it would seem.
    "Ah Robert" William said as he looked into the room and saw his half brother. William had been occupied staring outside one of the windows. He was searching for a place to erect a castle upon.

William moved towards Robert and indicated he could take a seat on the long table in the room. William sat himself down nonetheless. His legs were sore from all the riding and fighting of the last few weeks. "So you would wish to raid upon Mercia?" he inquired.

"Mercia is a vast land, William, by simple raiding it may be possible to force a fair number of its barons into capitulation." A fairly enrichening venture as well, Robert knew, and one he had already found fair support for.

"The Archbishop Stigand is supportive of such a venture - he has offered coin to support any knights I might take with me, and the brother St Leger are eager to follow with me. It is a chance, William, to capture half a kingdom before it can be effectively defended."
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; May 30, 2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    William nodded in approval. "That would be a wise suggestion indeed Lord Gerold. You will be held responsible if something happens to him however" The king noted.
    "As it should be my King. Thank you." He paused waiting to see if the king had more to add.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Aubrey de Vere, newly minted Treasurer of the Kingdom of England, comes to see (and thank) his liege and patron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "Mercia is a vast land, William, by simple raiding it may be possible to force a fair number of its barons into capitulation." A fairly enrichening venture as well, Robert knew, and one he had already found fair support for.

"The Archbishop Stigand is supportive of such a venture - he has offered coin to support any knights I might take with me, and the brother St Leger are eager to follow with me. It is a chance, William, to capture half a kingdom before it can be effectively defended."
    William pondered a bit. His half brother had some merit in his proposal but William was a little shy to open large scale hostilities while the bulk of his vassals were regrouping and searching their new estates. "You can take the men that have already offered their support to you and see what you can do. Yet you will do it safe and not overstretch yourself. " William would have to assemble a host himself it seemed. Multiple of his vassals already went on ventures of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "As it should be my King. Thank you." He paused waiting to see if the king had more to add.
    William nodded, indicating their conversation was over. Matters of state awaited.

Robert bowed and made to excuse himself. "My thanks, Sire, we will light a fire beneath Mercia and bring her to your rule."

The two Alans arrive to visit the conqueror, as summoned.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

void
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; May 31, 2018 at 11:17 AM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, comes to Westminster to see his half-brother, the king

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    The two Alans arrive to visit the conqueror, as summoned.
    They are welcomed and given refreshment by a servant whilst William prepares to join them. Which he eventually does. He kindly said "Good to see you! You are the first ones to arive" William was in a good mood today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post
    Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, comes to Westminster to see his half-brother, the king
    He finds William looking at some art the previous occupant of the palace left behind. When he noticed him he was joyful "Ah brother! good having you here"

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Richard de Clare and William de Warenne arrive at winchester palace at the behest of the King

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast