Thread: Swimming Pool

Default Swimming Pool

Why most of the swimming pools are built oval and circle in shape. Is any science behind this?

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Swimming Pool

I doubt it is science, rather more like simple solutions are better than complicated solutions. Pools with a complex shape are simply harder (read more costly) to build. This is true today and probably more so in Roman times. Try constructing any object with a curved shape versus a linear lined shape and you will see. Even trees tend to grow towards the sun and so lumber from a tree is cheaper to produce as straight timbers. So any early era versions of a pool cast in concrete or reinforced behind the tiles will tend to be straight lines or some sort of a rectangle. I hope this helps even if lacking in a science link.

By the way -- welcome to TWC!

It may be harder to seal the corners on square and rectangular swimming pools. On an oval or round swimming pool, you don't havd corners where the sides meet that you need to worry about. This especially important on above ground swimming pools, the corners would be narder to seal.

Also, a round or oval swimming pool may fit into most persons yards better, making it easier to walk around the pool to do maintenance. Although I haven't notice myself that most swimming pools round or oval.

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Mostly because in ground pools are difficult to build without a civil engineer putting together the calculations which will prevent the pools walls from deforming due to natural occurrences (i.e. ground gets soaked and pushed out your wall, round pools resist that easier). Most standard circles and ovals have pretty predictable structural concerns which means just about anyone can make them. Sharper corners are more expensive because you often need a civil engineer or someone who really knows what they're doing to do some structural calculations to appropriately resist the water pressure pushing down or the ground pressure pushing up especially if the pool is empty. Thus circular pools are the cheapest to build, with oval pools slightly more expensive and sharp corners the most expensive.