Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake News Clarification: Volume One

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fake News Clarification: Volume One

Mate everything points to an islamist attack, he shouted allahu akbar. I don’t know what will convince you. Even the authorities are treating it as a terrorist attack.

But never mind, I guess only ‘dudes with rage’ target police officers, take a woman hostage, and get radicalised in prison (which is quite common due to the large muslim prison population)
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Putin apparently killed another journalist but then resurrected him the next day.
    Putin 1
    Jesus 0
    Lying Liberal media -5

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Putin apparently killed another journalist but then resurrected him the next day.
    Putin 1
    Jesus 0
    Lying Liberal media -5
    Putin actually tried killing him, and Ukrainian security forces faked his death to capture the assassin(s) like in Dark Knight. The trick worked

Its like why bother reading the speculative and biased tripe that passes for news these days.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Its like why bother reading the speculative and biased tripe that passes for news these days.
    Because they are out to get you, man.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Blog Entries

Huh

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Of course the Huff post link (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0bbb7a0e032d3) then mentioned that it did not really matter because the private moment was followed by a meeting with many people. Not really fake news. At least not to my understanding of what is fake news. Your post gets closer to my definition of fake news though. Selective pictures and headlines that are true in the narrowest sense but not giving a broader understanding of the story beyond the narrow 'editorial' objective. I am using 'editorial' is the sense of opinion.

Blog Entries

Yeah pretty much, it’s the selective headlines which be honest, is all most people see.

It’s more the hypocrisy of the first two articles really.

Blog Entries

So apparently the girl on the TIME magazine was never separated from her parents.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Even if separated, the time cover is misleading because the crying little girl was never at the feet of Pres. Trump. I am certain the editors that put this together think they are so so clever. Unless I am mistaken, this photo shopping to make editorial points was never learned at any journalism school.

Of course we all know the editors check and verify all stories, especially if it agrees with their own personal political perspective so that they do not make a poor impression with their personal opinions. Yeah, right!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Even if separated, the time cover is misleading because the crying little girl was never at the feet of Pres. Trump. I am certain the editors that put this together think they are so so clever. Unless I am mistaken, this photo shopping to make editorial points was never learned at any journalism school.

Of course we all know the editors check and verify all stories, especially if it agrees with their own personal political perspective so that they do not make a poor impression with their personal opinions. Yeah, right!

The photo you posted is actually the quintessence of the mediatic Leftism in all its disturbing miserable idiocy:

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    The photo you posted is actually the quintessence of the mediatic Leftism in all its disturbing miserable idiocy:
    It is easy to make people look like fools when you are telling them what they are saying.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/im...ver-separated/
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    It is easy to make people look like fools when you are telling them what they are saying.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/im...ver-separated/
    ’mostly false’ hahaha sure. I guess they were only partially fake news then

Couldnt bring themselves to call it a lie, even the fake news says its fake news, does that make it very fake news?
    Last edited by Aexodus; June 24, 2018 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    ’mostly false’ hahaha sure. I guess they were only partially fake news then

Couldnt bring themselves to call it a lie, even the fake news says its fake news, does that make it very fake news?
    Did you not read the article? They explain the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claim
    Media outlets falsely reported that a photograph of a crying toddler depicted a small girl separated from her mother at the border.
    Quote Originally Posted by What's True
    A photograph of a toddler girl crying at the border, taken by photographer John Moore on 12 June 2018, became virally popular and later was used for a 'TIME' magazine cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by What's False
    Contrary to claims, media outlets have consistently reported that the girl was never separated from her mother; that information was reiterated when U.S. Customs and Border Patrol stated that the pair had not been separated.
    Last edited by The spartan; June 24, 2018 at 08:35 PM.

Snopes does not seem to mention Time's correction:
    "Correction (Posted June 19): The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she was taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together."
    http://time.com/longform/john-moore-.../?xid=tcoshare

First outlet Snopes mentions in the WaPo:
    It seems the WaPo stealth edited their article, waiting at least 12 hours before noting it in a clarification:
    http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/22/wa...me-correction/
    originally read:
    “Time magazine ran a cover that used one of the images that has been most resonant in this past week, taken of a young girl crying as her mother was patted down by a Border Patrol agent before the two were separated.”
    changed to:
    “Time magazine’s cover used one of the images that has been most resonant in the past week, taken of a young girl crying as her mother was patted down by a Border Patrol agent before the two were detained.”
    also changing the headline.
    After at least 12 hours the clarification was added:
    "The initial version of this story said the child depicted on Time's cover had been separated from her mother, based on the magazine's account. As The Washington Post and others have since reported, the child was not separated from her mother during their encounter with a Border Patrol agent. The story has been updated."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e02e7cf32850

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Snopes does not seem to mention Time's correction:
    "Correction (Posted June 19): The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she was taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together."
    http://time.com/longform/john-moore-.../?xid=tcoshare

First outlet Snopes mentions in the WaPo:
    It seems the WaPo stealth edited their article, waiting at least 12 hours before noting it in a clarification:
    http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/22/wa...me-correction/
    originally read:
    “Time magazine ran a cover that used one of the images that has been most resonant in this past week, taken of a young girl crying as her mother was patted down by a Border Patrol agent before the two were separated.”
    changed to:
    “Time magazine’s cover used one of the images that has been most resonant in the past week, taken of a young girl crying as her mother was patted down by a Border Patrol agent before the two were detained.”
    also changing the headline.
    After at least 12 hours the clarification was added:
    "The initial version of this story said the child depicted on Time's cover had been separated from her mother, based on the magazine's account. As The Washington Post and others have since reported, the child was not separated from her mother during their encounter with a Border Patrol agent. The story has been updated."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e02e7cf32850
    What is your point here?

What is your point here?
    Lets see, Snopes claims the WaPo did not report that the girl was separated from her mother.

I just documented that the WaPo, contra snopes assertion, did report that.

Hmm... Should I, like a fool, blindly trust Snopes? Or maybe I should look into it a bit more...

Hmmm... because It is easy to make people look like fools when you are telling them what they want to hear.
    Last edited by Infidel144; June 24, 2018 at 09:54 PM.

What is your point here?
    Uhhh...Likewise, what's your point here? Times(and then later other media outlets) issued the retraction over the fact that the girl wasn't separated from her mother, ergo the photo was fake news. What's to debate here? What great mystery did the snopes article reveal? What am I not understanding?
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; June 25, 2018 at 07:48 AM.

Yes, well it looks like Snopes was wrong about there never being a misreporting about the girl being separated from her mother, and that article hasn't been updated in days so that is disappointing. To be fair to "the media", the Times correction went out well before Dailycaller's article and Diocle post, and not to mention that all "media" is Times and WaPo nor do they double down when wrong. It's a shame about Snopes, though.

Also, I have not been telling people what they are saying.

Also, I have not been telling people what they are saying.
    I fail to see the point of this comment.