Thread: Recommend me a game

Default Recommend me a game

Alright. I'm kinda bored, want to play something, but don't know what. RPG or strategy preferences, preferably not newest (my laptop doesn't have the best performance), singleplayer or maybe even multi if it's really good and not pay2win, can be old if it can be run on Win 8.1 at least via DosBox.

Already off the list, most of them because I already played them:

GTA series
    Bioware RPG series (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Planescape:Torment)
    Age of Empires series
    Mass Effect seres
    Civilization series
    all Paradox Interactive games
    Stronghold series
    Tota War series
    MnB/MnB: Warband
    Fallout series
    Witcher series
    Elder Scrolls series
    Quest for Glory series
    X-COM series
    War Thunder
    Diablo series
    HoMM series

...and that's just to give you an idea. I can't even remember half of the games I've played over the years. Just toss some of your favorites here, I'll see if there'll be anything that will pique my interest.

Or alternatively, if anyone knows how to get CnC: Generals Zero Hour run on Win 8.1, I'd be grateful....

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Recommend me a game

Try Star Trek Online. You don't have to pay anything until endgame. Playing every storyline would keep you busy for months. Also new expansion coming out soon. Space and ground combat is really satisfying imo.

Also nothing much to do after endgame, so finish and move on without paying stuff.
    Last edited by gastovski; May 24, 2018 at 05:49 PM.

X3 Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude to summerise it's MnB Warband in space and then some.
    Stalker
    Graviteam Tactics Operation White Star
    Gothic 3

Here's a couple of freeones
    Path of Exile it's what Diablo 3 should've been. Loads of content and they only finance it by selling cosmetics.
    Battle of Wesnorth

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

If you are into retro gaming:

Jagged Alliance 2 : A tactical role-playing game in which you have to build and train a merc outfit to liberate an island from a despot. Combat is similar to X-com, though much more gratifying. The humor still hasn't gone stale. Almost 30 years after its release, this one still makes me chuckle from time to time.

Fragile Alliance : Retro game in which you colonize asteroids , substract recources to build fleets and more importantly missiles to annihilate the competition. Nothing as satisfying as annihilating your opponent with a massive missile strike.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Football Manager series seems right up your alley. It's a very deep simulation that you can enjoy even if you don't watch or enjoy soccer. It has yearly releases but it's perfectly fine to just play a version a few years out of date.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Football Manager series seems right up your alley. It's a very deep simulation that you can enjoy even if you don't watch or enjoy soccer. It has yearly releases but it's perfectly fine to just play a version a few years out of date.
    Yeah they don't always get better every year, and the older versions sadly disappear from Steam each new release. It definitely takes a lot to run though, and if you have an older laptop, playing a few seasons with a high player count will really slow the game down to a crawl. Although if the OP can play more recent Paradox and Total War games, he might have good enough hardware for it. Alternatively, Out of the Park is a baseball sim that offers a similar experience, but it runs a lot more smoothly (and you don't have to play out every individual game).

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

This was the first game I ever purchased; Steel Panthers , and remained my one of my favourites until I moved to a rig unable to support it. I've tried over the years to install one of the up-dated downloads available on line, but with little success (just can't get the graphics sorted). If you give a go and get it working let me know -i'll be at it like a seagull on chip!

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Mount & blade Warband ! of course . and try "A world of ice and fire 3.5 released on 8th june on steam". its an excellent mod, i wish i had Steam version
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Assassins Creed: Unity (yes, Unity, I love it)

Football Manager (as someone suggested as well)

World of Warships (since you played War Thunder)
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I mean, there's always Ravenfield, if you're poor like me

nah but Deus Ex Machina and Mad Max are worth playing imo
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Thanks for all the suggestions, even though I know and played at least half of them, just didn't recall them right away for the list.

@Spear Dog if you still have an original DOS installation of Steel Panthers, try running it through DosBox.

@M.A.E hmm...if AWOIAF finally fixes the green lighting bug in 3.5, I might get around to play it, but the green Dornish desert was quite annoying...

Star Trek Online and Path of Exile will probably be two things I'll be trying out during summer. I also found out that, for me long lost, Homeworld: Cataclysm is under different name in GOG (copyright stuff caused name change AFAIK), and I got the Generals working. Which is great multiplayer fun during the occassional old-school LAN parties with few friends and some alcohol .
    Last edited by Sar1n; June 05, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Kenshi , RTS/ RPG hybrid. But last time I played the rpg aspect was barebones, most of my fun came from making a little town.
    King of Dragon Pass, a RPG type text adventure game, old school but it might scratch that itch that new 'streamlined' games are whiffing on.
    Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, an older tactics game where troops carry over into future missions, this game can be very unforgiving.
    Warhammer Vermintide, left for dead type game in a warhammer world, there is a sequel as well but I haven't played it yet though.
    Divinity Original Sin 2 , A great RPG that is way funner with a friend.
    Project Reality Battlefield 2 mod, free to play, stand alone mod multiplayer. It has High highs and low lows totally dependent on your squadmates and squad leader but it can be a good time, it fits the need for a game more tactical than battlefield but less intense than Arma.
    Last edited by StringingTerror; June 20, 2018 at 08:55 PM.

Battlefield 4 is my all time favorite, the multiplayer is amazing as well. Although there are bugs and bots here and there but still you should give it a try since you haven't mentioned that in the list above.

Tyranny. 66% off right now.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Civis

Hey I can make a little list for other too who will read. Alll work on my old laptop with only 4g ram, internal Intel graphic and quad core 2.58gh.

F2P open source run on every PC
    -Open general
    -Battle of Wesnoth

Strategy
    -Ultimate general Civil war and\or Gettysburg (limit on my Pc)
    -Disciples II
    -Master of Magic (Oldies)
    -Age of Wonder (oldies)
    -Age of Wonder 2 Shadow magic

Space Strategy
    -Sin of Solar System: Rebellion (Lot of good mods) (limit on Pc on huge map)
    -Master of Orion 2 Battle for Antares (oldies)
    -Star War Empire at war ( Try one the mod like Ascendency)

Rpg
    -Dragon age origin
    -Shadowrun series (I just tryed Hong Kong) (Limit on my PC)
    -Sw Knight of the old Republic

Console Tactic Rpg
    -Fire Emblem series
    -Tactic Ogres
    -Shining Force series

Action diablo like
    -Ultimate Alliance Marvel (sequel and prequel, X-men legend 1 & 2)

For MMo I can say I tried alot of it. They are almost all P2w or have bad community like online card games or Dota, where people insult everyone. My favorite it Dongeons Dragons Online but it getting pretty old and I didnt palyed since a long time. Star-Trek Online was pretty fun too like someone said on a post earlier, but like he said at some point you better move because you will need redo stuff everyday or weekly like in Neverwinter Online( same studio). Guild War 2 it not so bad because you just need to pay once so in fact it less cheap than f2p or monthly fee. In fact f2p system can become often the most expensive game to play. Age of Conan was not so bad either, but I dont know if it still online.