Thread: Macedon campaign

Default Macedon campaign

Could anyone give me a couple of tips on how to succesfull start with Macedon?. Always when i start a new campaign, i get attacked by various factions. Greeks, or barbarians from the north.

Default Re: Macedon campaign

check Strategy-Guides-and-Gameplay-Discussions. no need to repeat previous threads

Needing help with Macedon has to be one of the most common posts on these boards.

Would it be worth it (or overkill) to have a final thread on this topic that would be stickied under the DeI Strats and Guides section? This way players could have an even more centralized resource for such a common topic. The reality is all of this information is there for new players to either find via the search bar or being able to glean by reading through some of the available guides.

However, it seems pretty clear they are not reading them. This is not really surprising in regards to Macedon as threads can be a bit of pain to find or they may not address your exact dilemma. Furthermore, I don't think reading the guides will always immediately give most players the understanding they need to navigate such a uniquely tough starting faction.

Considering the posts are going to keep happening, if we had a dedicated post about Macedon we could combine posts/threads and point players there. The idea being that these players get the help/information they are looking for and these boards wouldn't constantly be answering that question. Just a thought.

Now to answer OP's question.

1) Play on Normal if you are not already. Once you can handle normal then start to crank up the difficulty.

2) Get involved with politics. As Macedon it is much harder to win if you are not manipulating your neighbors.

3) Each play through is unique but you can always pay the northern barbarians off and buy some agreements with them so they will at least leave you alone while you consolidate greece.

4) Everyone has different feelings for which direction you should go first. Some say go for Epirus. I am an adamant supporter of handling Athens as quickly as possible. If you choose to leave Athens alone, you are making a major gamble. They almost always build a max stack and upgrade their city right from turn 1. That can turn into over 40 units defending their city early game. Even if you don't war with them (you will though) it creates a major obstacle for you to unite the region. You don't want Athens, especially well fortified, around once Rome becomes a player in the region.

5) Terrorize Epirus in order to befriend Rome. Against Epirus you must raid, sack, kill captives, and selectively join Romes wars. Gifts of gold are good too. This will get Rome to like you and if you keep them satisfied they will allow you to expand. If you don't befriend Rome and Athens is still around, there is a very good chance they will ally with Rome against you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Satansblofish View Post
    Needing help with Macedon has to be one of the most common posts on these boards.

Would it be worth it (or overkill) to have a final thread on this topic that would be stickied under the DeI Strats and Guides section? This way players could have an even more centralized resource for such a common topic. The reality is all of this information is there for new players to either find via the search bar or being able to glean by reading through some of the available guides.

However, it seems pretty clear they are not reading them. This is not really surprising in regards to Macedon as threads can be a bit of pain to find or they may not address your exact dilemma. Furthermore, I don't think reading the guides will always immediately give most players the understanding they need to navigate such a uniquely tough starting faction.

Considering the posts are going to keep happening, if we had a dedicated post about Macedon we could combine posts/threads and point players there. The idea being that these players get the help/information they are looking for and these boards wouldn't constantly be answering that question. Just a thought.

Now to answer OP's question.

1) Play on Normal if you are not already. Once you can handle normal then start to crank up the difficulty.

2) Get involved with politics. As Macedon it is much harder to win if you are not manipulating your neighbors.

3) Each play through is unique but you can always pay the northern barbarians off and buy some agreements with them so they will at least leave you alone while you consolidate greece.

4) Everyone has different feelings for which direction you should go first. Some say go for Epirus. I am an adamant supporter of handling Athens as quickly as possible. If you choose to leave Athens alone, you are making a major gamble. They almost always build a max stack and upgrade their city right from turn 1. That can turn into over 40 units defending their city early game. Even if you don't war with them (you will though) it creates a major obstacle for you to unite the region. You don't want Athens, especially well fortified, around once Rome becomes a player in the region.

5) Terrorize Epirus in order to befriend Rome. Against Epirus you must raid, sack, kill captives, and selectively join Romes wars. Gifts of gold are good too. This will get Rome to like you and if you keep them satisfied they will allow you to expand. If you don't befriend Rome and Athens is still around, there is a very good chance they will ally with Rome against you.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your efforts Satan (never thought i'd be saying that tbh :p).

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Thanks for your efforts Satan (never thought i'd be saying that tbh :p).
    Pick Of Destiny’s Sequel confirmed.