Thread: AOR suggestion

Default AOR suggestion

I love the AOR system it adds so much depth, but I do have one suggestion

To put this in to context, I'm currently in a Seleucid campaign and I have taken over all of Asia Minor. Rome have taken all of Hellas, Macedonia and Thrace, so I feel like we may be at war soon. History tells us that Roman legions really struggled against the horse archer heavy armies of Parthia. History also tells us that the Seleucid's often used horse archers from Dahe.

To recruit these horse archers to fight against Rome I would have to march a general from my recruitment province in Syria, all the way across to the Parthia area, and then all the way back and up in to Asia Minor, and that would just take way too long.

There should be a way that you can recruit all AOR units in one place. Obviously this has to be limited otherwise it defeats the whole point of AOR, and thats not at all what im asking for as I love the system . But perhaps there could be an edict which you can use in only one province (perhaps your capital) that allows you to recruit all your AOR units while it is active, therefore the balance is it comes at the cost of another edict and can only be used in one area. Another way could be a high level research technology, or a feature of level 4 city centre buildings (again capital only) therefore it would only be available in the very late came

Default Re: AOR suggestion

As you said that would effectively defeat the purpose and limitations of the AOR system and be very overpowered. I also don't really know of any way to implement a system like that.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Plus Seleucids had horse archers in nearly insignificant numbers (mostly few hundreds at best) and Rome did not struggle against horse archers and actually did rather well against Parthia. Carrhae was not repeated.

So in other words, no, it should not be easy for for Seleucids to get horse archers.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Shogun 2 recruitment system was nice, where the units are always recruited at the capital of a selected province and then you just march them to needed army.

To recruit these horse archers to fight against Rome I would have to march a general from my recruitment province in Syria, all the way across to the Parthia area, and then all the way back and up in to Asia Minor, and that would just take way too long.
    Since it's not possible to do it in Rome 2 and I think this system was too OP, just get a designated general to do the recruitment for you and then bring the units to the needed army.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

That will also make roleplay insignificant and I can assure you many of our users will not like that.

Just an Idea but I think you can always raise an army in parthia and make it full stack of horse archers and distribute in your capital to your armies. And as a roleplay aspect you can think that army you raised as a recruitment party.

Moved to DeI Strategy Guides and Gameplay Discussions.

Feel free to Continue.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Well, I believe that the current AOR-system that we have in the game reflects very well the scope of the challenge that every Seleucid king would have to face once attempting to raise a military force in the Upper Satrapies and then transport it all the way to Europe.

Both time-wise and logistically that would be a hell of an effort, and that's why the core of their armies would always be composed of the local military colonists. To move an army from let's say Syria to Thrace would still pose a challenge, but that could actually be done within one campaigning season, while moving their forces between Asia Minor and Baktria, for instance, was out of the question.

The use of this to give Seleucids horse-archers is absurd, admittedly, but the OP has something of a point. Troops from all over the Roman territories served everywhere they were needed, to my knowledge. The Persians moved troops from all over their satrapies to fight as well. Achieving this within the Rome 2 system is a complete pain in the ass. It takes up a general slot per regional recruitment zone for a number of turns, assuming you even have one spare.

The obvious way to keep AOR relevant would be to a. increase the recruitment time of out of area AOR recruitment, to three or four turns, b. increasing the cost of the units to include their upkeep for that period and c. restricting the sorts of units you can recruit in this fashion to troops that the faction would likely find useful. Romans with archers and cavalry, as in the auxilia, for instance. In short, you'd have two AORs for the same unit: the native sectors where units can be recruited cheaply and quickly, and the rest, where it takes time and money.

But I don't think it's possible to change the AOR roster mid-campaign to reflect the provinces you own, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    But I don't think it's possible to change the AOR roster mid-campaign to reflect the provinces you own, is it?
    Unlikely. Not 100% sure about it though.

You can make a submod that alters the recruitment yes, as long as you don't deactivate the faction permission for existing units. For example, you could overwrite the existing building_unit_allowed tables for a givern culture or the AOR troops and then alter which unit is recruited where.