Thread: Narrative AAR - Anyone interested?

Default Narrative AAR - Anyone interested?

Hey everyone, I am just trying to get a bit of a feel for what people might be interested in in terms of AARs. I am thinking of writing a narrative story that follows a single character from a campaign, and basically just using the campaign as a set-piece for writing fiction (the plot and events being then dictated by what happens in my game). I was wondering if that is something that anyone would be interested in reading as I go along? If not, I will still go ahead and do it anyway, as it will be a nice writing exercise for me, but I just wanted to see what the community's feelings/thoughts on it were.

Any comments, suggestions, (dis)approval, or tips would be much appreciated. Even if you just write "Don't do it", then I still know you think it's a bad idea, which is better than no info. Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you all think, and I will try to get into a campaign asap and start writing. (I let my wife choose the faction for me, based on what setting/scenery she'd like to see, so I will be attempting the (rather daunting) task of playing as the Nabataeans and somehow chipping myself an empire out of the Ptolemies and Seleukids without either of them deciding to crush me. I think I may need some luck.)
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Narrative AAR - Anyone interested?

Thats a great idea ! I did something similar back in 2011 or sometime and it was a lot of fun, though I abandoned it quickly. Do you know which character you want to follow, an extisting character in the game and his descendants maybe or a fictive character not present in the game either ? Also try to find as much about the culture and try to immerse yourself when writing, easier with an Hellenic faction especially as the Nabateans are a bit obscure. Will post here and in the AAR section of this forum, would give you more coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Thats a great idea ! I did something similar back in 2011 or sometime and it was a lot of fun, though I abandoned it quickly.
    Hey Marvzilla, glad to hear it has been tried before (that means it is at least somewhat doable ) even if you only did it for a bit. It is also always nice to see that someone is excited and might be interested; provides me a bit more motivation than just writing something for myself.

Do you know which character you want to follow, an extisting character in the game and his descendants maybe or a fictive character not present in the game either ?
    My plan is to follow an existing character, probably a lesser family member who is initially not really in the action. I was actually thinking about maybe playing for 20-40 game years first, to get a small power base in order before following someone. I will think more on that though.

Also try to find as much about the culture and try to immerse yourself when writing, easier with an Hellenic faction especially as the Nabateans are a bit obscure.
    I was actually just now thinking about this, and wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good introductory book on the history of the Nabataeans, as I like to be sure of what I am writing before I start. I will see if I can't figure out who the EB historians are who are responsible for this faction and pm one of them.

Will post here and in the AAR section of this forum, would give you more coverage.
    Not sure what you mean by this --> Could you elaborate!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Do it. The idea sounds cool and to be honest, any sort of AAR sounds great right now, there's not really anyone to follow anymore.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Hey Marvzilla, glad to hear it has been tried before (that means it is at least somewhat doable ) even if you only did it for a bit. It is also always nice to see that someone is excited and might be interested; provides me a bit more motivation than just writing something for myself.

My plan is to follow an existing character, probably a lesser family member who is initially not really in the action. I was actually thinking about maybe playing for 20-40 game years first, to get a small power base in order before following someone. I will think more on that though.

I was actually just now thinking about this, and wanted to ask if anyone knows of a good introductory book on the history of the Nabataeans, as I like to be sure of what I am writing before I start. I will see if I can't figure out who the EB historians are who are responsible for this faction and pm one of them.

Not sure what you mean by this --> Could you elaborate!
    Sorry for the late reply, my puppy brains are easily distracted

The character is a good one, though you could also follow the dynasty as the characters die at some point ? Its your story and I dont want to dictate anything, just an idea.

About the history side of things EB II already goes pretty in depth, but you can also strike out on your own on the internet, academia.edu does have some nice stuff from time to time to read, as do the usual subjects but theyre a bit less reliable. If you want to go deeper maybe look for some books on the Nabateans, maybe ask in the bibliography thread for recommendations ?

With the AAR section cross over I meant that the TWC forums have an AAR section of their own where you could garner some more attention, though I am not sure how active they are over there at the moment. You could post your story both here and there.

@Harkon: I didn't know there was a lack of these, but now that I do I will definitely go ahead with the idea to try to provide something!

@Marvzilla: My initial thought was to follow an individual character for a specific leg of the journey (e.g. follow one general who takes an army across the Red Sea and then conquers his way up the Nile to Alexandria) and then have separate stories following other characters for other parts of the campaign. And then if someone is killed/dies along the way, that story simply ends there, with a sequel then coming out that contineues/completes the journey. That was my thought at least.

I didn't know about the bibliography, but just found it and have already ordered a book listed there that seems like a good start! So thanks for that tip!

And also thanks for the tip about posting to the AAR forum as well. I didn't know there was a whole segment dedicated to just that, but now that I do I will be sure to post to both locations.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I used to write these, a long time ago, and they always get a good following. They're a nice way to showcase the depth of the mod.

For the people following here, I have posted the first installment of my AAR on Nabataea. You can find it at Written in Sand (Narrative Nabataean AAR for EBII)
    Last edited by Kilo11; June 06, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources