Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Artificial Intelligence

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Default Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    To the pre-industrial mind, a world where only a tiny fraction of people work in agriculture must have been a terrifying prospect too. What were they all supposed to do instead? In the context of their own world, only unemployment and starvation would have been thinkable. Yet here we are. Just saying that just because there's change and we find it hard to predict how it will affect us doesn't mean the apocalypse is coming.
    Didn't say it would. Economically unneeded people are hardly an apocalypse. Just a potential for a major crisis, a couple of wars, etc. The rising influx of unskilled people into 1st world countries also adds some funky spice to that.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    I of course implied that the AI would have a significant degree of control in such a scenario and i think that emerges in the context i construed (which i did very sloppily and carelessly, but the basis stands, i think).
    So you agree then it wouldn't be far-fetch if someone made an AI that advance or similar that of a human?

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    In short: why would anyone create a superior, conscious, intelligent being with the ability to control all vital functions of modern human civilization? There is no guarantee at all, that it [the AI] would empathize with us, even (and maybe especially), if it understands us down to the last neuron.
    While I don't about the bold part, advancements in technology had made a majority of activities/things and so on, more or less fully automatic like air planes. So It would make sense as time goes by that these automatic (or whatever correct term applies) will continue to have ability to control certain aspect of civilization. I highly doubt a government would make one that could control all aspect of vital function AND make it "conscious". I assume, as usual, there would be a manual override or some sort, to prevent any mishap be it AI or not.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

I don't see why we should focus on developing artificial intelligence from scratch, when we can take already existing intelligence and manipulate it on genetic level to make it serve us. Organic "robots" would be far more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    I don't see why we should focus on developing artificial intelligence from scratch, when we can take already existing intelligence and manipulate it on genetic level to make it serve us. Organic "robots" would be far more efficient.
    Combining processing power in orders of magnitude greater than organic brain with flexibility, adaptability and other features of organic brain that regular program cannot simulate. For some tasks, this will be necessary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234