Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Saga of Haraldr Yngling and the Nordmanna

Default Re: The Saga of Haraldr Yngling and the Nordmanna

The inclusion of poetry has given a nice flavour to this great story. Good updates, keep up the good work and +rep.

Like Alwyn i also liked the overall personality of Lendramadr.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn
    Nicely done, I like the way that Haraldr honours Lendrmaðr. I like your description of Lendrmaðr including his backstory, his opportunistic yet honourable nature, his response to those who criticise him and his commitment to justice.
    Its funny, what we, and many sagas, consider 'heroic norse ideals', is sometimes critisized in other sagas. Where honor leads to the death of innocent people and dishonorable action save people. If this was added later, after christianity got popular in Scandinavia or if there were indeed Skáld or story tellers that had a more cynical view on the ideals of the time, I can not say.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckitz
    Must say, SilentKiller, when I got to grad school and started History, the number one thing that stuck with me was how truly different humanity was, in the past as opposed to today. Now I'm always thinking about the difference, and I really enjoy that your writing encapsulates the authentic set of values in Norse times. A better time, some might say, when might and mettle made the threads of man's life rather than money and honeyed words! And it really completes the epic theme you're after, letting us experience Jarl Haraldr as a true heroic figure in conformity with the customs of his race.
    For me, the most entertaining thing about playing history games like TW or the different Paradox games, is learning about the history and culture of a certain place and people, and then trying to role-play it into my game. (I'm not the most efficient TW-player ). Of course, if we look at how war was actually fought at that time and compare it to epic sagas and tales, its a bit different and sometimes less heroic. (We have examples like the Battle of Maldon where the Anglo-Saxon basically helped their enemies, the Vikings, defeating them by not exploiting the terrain to their advantage because its dishonorable, but then again, that too is part of an epic poem) I decided to give everything this epic vibe, because its suits the setting - and because I really like the sagas!

Chapter Nine: The Battle at the Ishlið

The town of Avaldsnes came under Haraldr’s dominion in the same year Karl the Bold met his single-god. But the Jarl could not rest on his victory, for a large host of enemies under the command of the famous warrior Had the Hard was seen in the woods to the east. After only two days after the taking of the town, a messenger arrived with an invitation to an open battle on a hill called the Ishlið. And so, knowing that a refusal would bring shame his blood and his men, Haraldr took his host and traveled to the Ishlið, the Ice-Hill. The place was ancient and sung about by many local Skáld, for it is said that this hill is the grave of a Half-Jötunn who fell it a duel with one of the Asen. Now it would witness a great a battle.

The two armies formed up on the Ishlið but neither party wanted to attack, as they saw the other obliged to do so. And while waiting, the blood of men grew hot, so it came, that Ejnar, a captain of Haraldr, was filled with berserksgangr, and took his spear and shield, and charged the lines of Had’s host. There he crashed into the shield wall and killed a dozen warriors, each with their own song, in one swing. Radgard, a warrior from the forests of Hordaland, saw this feast of arms and he too went berserk, and stepped forth to fight Ejnar. They soon met and the greatest two-men-battle of western Norvegr took place before the eyes of all men on the field. After an exchange of blows, one mightier than the other, both men fell dead into the snow, happy that they did not met the dismal end of a disease-death.

All the warriors, inspired by this great display, charged each other, not caring for formation and discipline. More than four hundred duels took place that day, at least fifty fought by Iórhildr, wife of Ejnar, who mourned the death of her husband. When night befell the Ishlið, like the nightfall of life befell the defeated, all of Had’s men lay dead on the field and only he alone stood on his legs, the gore of countless men on his arms and armor.
    Haraldr Halfdansson and Had the Hard, both knowing one would soon hail the Valkyries, started to sword-clash amid the host of dead laying slain or gored on the ground. Countless times met their sword but in the end, neither screaming nor beweeping the brave death of his men, it was Had who greeted the blade of Eidrsverd in the halls of his skull. Ishlið was from this day on called Bealddauðshlið, the hill of the brave and dead.

Warriors kneeling before the fallen

Upon his return to Avaldsnes, Haraldr started to rule his new western dominion to the resentment of his warriors. Many wanted to board their long ships and punish the Jarl of Hordaland who hid behind brave warriors, but the Jarl knew, as he was of a ruler’s bloodline, that he first had to gain the trust of his new subjects. His wife Freydis together with Kelldórr arrived, hoping to assist Haraldr in his reign. Nevertheless, with winter, the shadows of disfavor befell Haraldr’s host like thick ice befell the Fjords and thus trapped ships in their harbors. Iórhildr, wife of dead Ejnar, ventured out into the cold like many other warriors did at that time, to seek the challenge of a fight and earn the title of hero. Haraldr, who wanted his men by his side as it was common among the Ynglings to not disperse their men over the lands, forbid them their travels and, in doing so, shamed them. Many wailed over this decision, they thought to see the evil influence of some witch, and Freydis became the target of mean whispers. Proud men, loyal to the Jarl, heard of this and punished this wretched breed, which snake-talked about their master, but subsequently split the army’s ranks like a sword splits a helmet. Months passed, warrior spoke ill of warrior, men watered their family trees with shame, all while Haraldr spent his days raising his son Kelldórr.

It wasn’t until one and a half year after the taking of Avaldsnes, that he mounted the wooden sea-horses with his host and traveled with the spring winds to Alrekstaðir, the great-town of Hordaland where Jarl Eirikr ruled. No one knew, neither Haraldr nor Eirikr, that soon, like last winter’s snow, the life of one of the Great-Jarls would melt away, and with him the lives of the greatest warriors of the time. No one but the völva Huld could have foreseen the Stórr Jarlshlǫkk – the great battle of the Jarls.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hey, I finally had the time to catch up to this AAR, and I must say it's a great piece of work. Almost makes me want to load up an old Danish/Norwegian save...almost.

I love how myths and legends are woven into the AAR, but yet do not feel too far out of the realm of possibility. I also enjoy the short and sweet updates, they are a nice break from reading text heavy posts, and allows the readers to focus more and pay more attention to detail in each individual paragraph or sentence. The pictures are nicely taken, and seem to portray the atmosphere of battle nicely. I especially love the shield-wall pictures in Chapter 3.

The usage of photos not from the game itself has always been a pet peeve of mine, but you seem to have integrated them nicely, so I have no complaints there. The character list at the first post is also a welcome addition, I had to refer back to it a few times in the past hour, but that's what its for.

A great AAR, please keep it up! +rep

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Literally everything Swaeft has said, so I won't repeat it. Looking forward to this Great battle of Jarls! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    Hey, I finally had the time to catch up to this AAR, and I must say it's a great piece of work. Almost makes me want to load up an old Danish/Norwegian save...almost.

I love how myths and legends are woven into the AAR, but yet do not feel too far out of the realm of possibility. I also enjoy the short and sweet updates, they are a nice break from reading text heavy posts, and allows the readers to focus more and pay more attention to detail in each individual paragraph or sentence. The pictures are nicely taken, and seem to portray the atmosphere of battle nicely. I especially love the shield-wall pictures in Chapter 3.

The usage of photos not from the game itself has always been a pet peeve of mine, but you seem to have integrated them nicely, so I have no complaints there. The character list at the first post is also a welcome addition, I had to refer back to it a few times in the past hour, but that's what its for.
    Thank you, Swaeft! I love stories about the supposed origins of certain places, or myths involving these place in some way so I though I could use important landmarks on the map for this I'm relieved that the character list helped - Norse sagas sometimes tend to have a lot of characters that appear once and then mentioned later somewhere after a long time. I though a character list could help with remembering who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë
    Literally everything Swaeft has said, so I won't repeat it. Looking forward to this Great battle of Jarls!
    Bear with me for one chapter, the great battle will soon come

Chapter Ten: Haraldr in the Hardangerfjord

Haraldr’s host landed on the shores of the Hardangerfjord, the very heart of Hordaland where trees yielded fruits even the descendants of the Romans envied. Marching in the shadows of the tall growing and rich food-trees their spirits were struck with a joy so otherwordly, they thought they had entered the realm of the gods. Verdurous moss caressed their thick soles, accustomed to snow and frozen earth, whenever they tread among the leaf-crowned wooden pillars on which slender women in white dresses bright enough to turn some a man blind leaned. If one dared to approach these women they vanished, leaving nothing but the smell honeyed milks and an embarrassed warrior. However, sometimes the women would walk to man and laugh and dance around him, playing a flute or sing in a mysterious language unknown to all mortals. Shared thought in the host was that the women were Valkyries in disguise, stalking soon-dead warriors. This filled many with a zest and anticipation for battle that they passed through the fruit-forest in two days of straight march with neither sleep nor rest. As soon as they left this divine forest they were haunted by fatigue and sadness, thus they made camp at the very rim of the woods.

"Ängsälvor"(Meadow Elves), be the Swedish painter Nils Blommér

From their camp, they could see Alrekstaðir enthroned on a mighty hill, where the great hall, its bend and pointy roof growing from the town like an arrow from a hunted deer, overlooked the sea to the west, the many-trees to the north and south, and the mighty eastern mountains. Even from afar could Haraldr spot the great army leaving through the town-mouth towards his camp. The earth trembled as the biggest army the northern soil has ever carried marched to meet the Jarl of Vestfold, who took his soldier and waited in a nearby pine forest to face his enemy, Erikr, the Jarl of Hordaland.

Soon two messengers, the warriors Kodlak Skolptrsafnir and Kaptar Armr, came and met Haraldr in his ring of warriors. Kodlak, son of Olaf Dreigulfson, was a stout man with hair white as the snow and a beard in length of the Lombards’, his left eyes had fallen victim to the claws of a fiend many months ago, and his belt held the small skull of a wretched creature slain when he was but ten and seven winters old. Next to him stood poor-born Kaptar who had hair like coal, cut short and well combed, and a reputation as brave warrior who once had defended his Jarl against a small band of raiding riders with only a spear and no armor. The white haired came forth and said:

“Hail, Haraldr of the Yngling, I bring word from Erikr the Great, Jarl of these land. Your men are to pay for their evil deeds to the good people of Hordaland. Neither surrender nor reconciliation shall be accepted, for only death is deemed justice on this ancient ground.”

The Jarl responded:
    “Kodlak of the Sendi, loud resound your deeds of war in the ears of all the folk of the north, yet your words here resound only to those that can not distinguish between truth and false. I am to be Konungr of the Nordmanna and your Jarl defying me is an act as vile as the betrayal of a trusted captain against his master, for it only sows hatred and distrust in our northern hearts.”

Kaptar, born in dirt with hair like soot, and distinguished in battle, answered:
    “Haraldr Halfdansson, your conquest, a result of your greed-filled Yngling spirit, is what cleaved the people of the north. Your death shall be the resin that strengthens the Nordmanna, like a pine’s resin strengthens a ship against the waves.”

The commander, hunter and chieftain of Akre, Lodi Rammrhondr met Kaptar Armr in a contest-of-stares while pointing at the men to his left and right, and saying:
    “Guðer Mikillsson and Aldwyn of the Seaxnamanna here will bear witness to these words: Kaptar Armr, you were born wretched but lived in an honor known to all, yet you still serve the wretched kind. Our swords and fists shall meet one day, for I cannot bear the things you say about my master.”

All men present, Haraldr, Guðer, Aldwyn, and the three captains Sulke Falksson, Hodger Gautari and Hulbrunð knew a battle was to come, for now that Lodi had stepped in to protect the honor of his Jarl, Haraldr had to uphold his obligation as master and fight against Kaptar’s master. KNowing this, Kaptar and Kodlak left to inform their Jarl that a battle to decide the rule over Hordaland and to uphold the old law of honor-battle would take place the next day.
    Last edited by theSilentKiller; August 10, 2018 at 08:11 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The great battle is coming, and the commanders make bold claims about themselves and their enemies, I wonder who will prevail. These are very enjoyable updates!

Content Emeritus

Bold claims indeed! I loved the description of the two messengers from the Jarl Erikr as well as the clash of words between them and Haraldr and his men. A great chapter to be sure!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Another short and sweet chapter, great buildup, can't wait for the showdown. Love the picture of the elves too, really adds to the immersion into Nordic lore and myths...me likey!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I like your AAR. The style of the text is nice and with a good flow. The story has a nice flow and your pictures are always well chosen. The screens you make have a nice angle. The only slight improvement you should consider is deactivating banners before taking the screenshot.
    You could even keep them deactivated if you want your battles to be slightly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

I wonder if the curse of the enemy commander will affect Haraldr.
    Good chapter. That painting was beautifulllllllllllllllllll !!!

But can you please consider making an index of character names. It's getting kinda hard to remember them all man.

Keep up the good work.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn
    The great battle is coming, and the commanders make bold claims about themselves and their enemies, I wonder who will prevail. These are very enjoyable updates!
    Let's see whose words are true and who is merely sweet-speaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë
    Bold claims indeed! I loved the description of the two messengers from the Jarl Erikr as well as the clash of words between them and Haraldr and his men. A great chapter to be sure!
    Thank you! Clash or words should be followed by a clash of swords, and the difference between the two us more than just the 's'!

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    Another short and sweet chapter, great buildup, can't wait for the showdown. Love the picture of the elves too, really adds to the immersion into Nordic lore and myths...me likey
    Thanks a lot! In the 19th century, artist became mre confident with depicting pagain lore without getting into trouble. Browsing though them is definitely something I'd recommendable if you've got a boring evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod
    I like your AAR. The style of the text is nice and with a good flow. The story has a nice flow and your pictures are always well chosen. The screens you make have a nice angle. The only slight improvement you should consider is deactivating banners before taking the screenshot.
    You could even keep them deactivated if you want your battles to be slightly harder.
    Thank you for your praise! I intended to do that for the replays (its a bit confusing to distinguish between your and the enemy troops when uniforms don't exists ), but for some reason, the banners still appeared - but I just found the answer to the problem so future screencaps shouldn't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc
    I wonder if the curse of the enemy commander will affect Haraldr.
    Good chapter. That painting was beautifulllllllllllllllllll !!!

But can you please consider making an index of character names. It's getting kinda hard to remember them all man.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks! I know, it defintely has something mysterious but also serene to me. There's one in the OP of this thread, but i'll include one at the end of the next update too, so that you don't have to change the page.

Chapter Eleven: The Great Battle of the Jarls I

Haraldr and Erikr formed their shield walls in a forest at the foot of the Gullfjellet mountain. All Northmen awaited in joyful anticipation the fight to come while listening to the paeans of the crows and wolves who would feast well. Far away, on a hill to the west, stood Freydis wife of Haraldr, who had accompanied her husband to these lands, holding the nurseling Kelldór. Helga, wife of Erikr, stood next to Freydis and together they watched the two armies of their husbands standing on the field of honor. And with awe they witness the first clash of the shield walls were a hundred men died in a heart’s beat. And with awe they saw the many duels that arose that day, and it is told in the Mangfoehtspell that the following happened:

Lodi Rammrhǫnd and Kaptar Armr

Lodi Rammrhǫnd, chieftain of Akre, fought against Kaptar Armr, who had earned sword and shield by protecting his Jarl in a battle long passed. Their blades met often until they went dull and the two were forced to brawl on the ground with only their bare fists. The two bled from countless wounds and the chieftain’s broken face met the fir needles on the ground when he fell and died. Guðer Mikillsson, right hand of Lodi, took up his master’s blunt sword and blinded by anger clubbed the exhausted Kaptar Armr to death, fulfilling Lodi’s words on his behalf. But it happened that this was not a fair duel, for Kaptar was fatigued and dazzled by the sun breaking through the tree-crowns, and so, after his rage has passed and knowing that he had won dishonorably and a life of shame was to be his from now on, Guðer joined his master by throwing himself into a broken spear’s head.

Aldwyn Grimboldson and Radgor Weasverdberar

Aldwyn Grimboldsson of the Seaxna, left hand of Lodi Rammrhǫnd, mourned his dead master and comrade, and he mourned so much that he went berserk. In his battle-anger he challenged the warrior Radgor Weasverdberar who just had cut down ten men before the eyes of the Saxon. It is told, that Jarl Erikr had given Radgor a sword to slay the beast Wagris which had ravaged the lands many winters prior. But when he trove his blade into the beast’s body it’s raging spirit, immortal and antagonistic towards all living, possessed the sword which from then on was called the Weasverd. This sentient weapon broke the rings of Aldwyn’s maille to pierce into the Saxon’s chest where it feasted from the raging heart of the raging warrior. But this did not instantly kill Aldwyn and before dying, with the strength of his last breath, he wounded Radgor’s groin in a manner that the Weasverd broke in shame of its master’s failure. Seven sharp shards of the breaking blade flew at Radgors face, cut deep into the bone, killing the warrior. Wagris spirit struck the spirits of the men in the shield walls close by and they started to fight with no care for injury and without distinction between friend and foe.

Nodvarr Storrsson and Kallak Kollóttar

Nodvarr Storrsson, commander under Haraldr, met Kallak Kollóttar, who was also known as the bald warrior. They led their shield walls against the other while singing the songs of heroes and gods, and the following fight was short, and Kallak soon lay dead on the ground next to his fallen comrades, having won as many duels in his life as he had hair on his head.

Rognald Hegvirsson Kodlak and ]Skolptrsafnir

A duel between Rognald Hegvirsson and Kodlak Skolptrsafnir flared up when the two crossed paths at one flank of the battle. There they fought long, their fight repeatedly getting interrupted by men who did no honor the ancient ways. Thus, after a long time of fighting, they realized that each of them had killed at least thirty men without grazing their actual adversary. Then, no one dared to get beween the two and after a great many slashes, cuts and thrusts that left both men bleeding from many wounds under their helmets and armor Rognald Hergvirsson fell to the ground.

Far-away Freydis saw her father dying to Kodlak’s blade whereupon she screamed and wailed so strong that, for a short moment, all the fighting stopped. When the Jarl Haraldr saw in the distant his wife falling to her knees, beweeping the death of her begetter, he too was befallen by sadness. Filled with grief, the Jarl fought his way to Rognald’s slayer and when he found Kodlak standing with the dead nuncle’s body, he raised his sword to strike the warrior. But it just so came that the two saw all the men on the battle field falling to their knees as a beautiful woman was weaving through the lines of warriors like a needle weaving through linen. Soon it was clear to the two that this was Freydis who had gone mad over the death of her father and now, with the bloodied sword of a fallen warrior, attempted to avenge him.
    But Kodlak was not to die at her hands, for it came that Rognald was not robbed of his life but merely exhausted and robbed of his conscious, and when he woke up he saw his daughter holding a sword in two hands intending to slay a warrior. Rognald, who loved Freydis more than any other father loved his child, knew this would merely taint her honor, for it is unsightly of a not-shieldmaiden woman to slay a man. Thus, with his last strength, he rose up to his knees and ended Freydis life by piercing her heart. While blood spread from her wound like a blooming red flower, she was cured of her madness and died protected from shame and with dignity. Only then, knowing his daughter and bloodline was secure of dishonor, fell Rognald Hegvirsson and climbed into a Valkyrie’s chariot.
    Haraldr, seeing this, felt as if his heart were the depths of the seas and his body exposed to the coldest of the snow storms of the north. After falling to his knees and remembering the words of the völva Huld and the Trickster Loki, he realized he had now experienced great grief but not yet the foretold great betrayal. So he screamed in sadness and sorrow:

“Oh ye gods, have you forsaken me? Me, the Eidrsverdberar? Me, who killed all the wretched kin in his lands? Me, who defied Loki? Never have I betrayed the Aesir nor the Vanir in my life but upheld their laws in battle.”
    The Jarl, who was no indifferent towards everything, looked at Kodlak and split the warrior with one mighty slash from head to hip, breaking helmet and maille alike. Then he saw Iórhildr’s life’s fading when her back’s flesh embraced the arrow of a cowardly man with no title and name. Truly, Haraldr did not know anymore who could possibly betray him, for all his closest were dead. Yet, as it is a habit with the words spoken by gods, even the malicious ones, the Trickster’s would soon prove true

Characters that have already appeared

Haraldr Halfdansson of Yngling: Jarl of Vestfold.
    Kelldórr: Son of Haraldr

Rognald Hegvirsson: Chieftain of Skidan and father of Haraldr's wife Freydis. Gave Haraldr Eidrsverd. A decendant of Unferð.
    Lodi Rammrhǫnd: Chieftain of Akre, the town of hunters
    Guðer Mikillsson: Right hand of Lodi Rammrhǫnd.
    Aldwyn Saxi Grimboldsson: Left hand of Lodi Rammrhǫnd.
    Kodlak Skolptrsafnir Sendi: Commander under Jarl Erikr of Hordaland. Famous warrior and fiend-slayer
    Kaptar Arms: Commander under Jarl Erikr. Poor-born but earned his status through battle.
    Sulke Falksson: Commander under Haraldr.

Freydis Rognaldsdóttir: Daughter of Rognald Hergvirsson. Wife of Haraldr Halfdansson.
    Huld the Völva: Seeress.
    Iórhildr Kyriþdóttir: Shieldmaiden and wife of Ejnar Karlungrsson.
    Eidrsverd: A sword given to Haraldr by Rognald Hegvirsson. It can shatter cursed items.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The focus duels between the great warriors seems appropriate for a saga lke this one. That's an exciting battle, with an ominous ending!

Content Emeritus

Epicness befitting a saga! Well done! Like Alwyn said, what an ominous ending.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123