Thread: Need help with my map!

Default Need help with my map!

I've been working on a map for about two months now, and I've been met with crash after crash, so I've come here asking for help!

Recently I've been able to load the game and the grand campaign menu, the faction movie plays, then the loading screen then the game crashes saying: "A fatal graphics error has occurred and the game will now shut down. This is normally caused by having your games graphics options set too high, please try running the game again and lowering your graphics settings before entering a battle."

I've been able to play the base game fine, and all the mods I've installed fine, so... It must be the map, but this'll be my fourth time starting from scratch and don't know what it could be, so... Please help! The link to my files is here:

https://mega.nz/#!lqgVUQrD!GHiSNSiwQ...tnhC8J-OPnVEJs

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Need help with my map!

Also, please excuse some of the image glitches and simplicity in the map design...early days...

Well it doesn't appear obvious. I have the same error trying to launch your campaign, and the system log say:
    can't setup slave faction as the default faction for this region
    For most if not all your regions. To correct in descr_regions and descr_strat, or with geomod.
    And you also have a few settlements on invalid tiles but it shoudn't cause a crash.

I was able to launch and save your mod in geomod so things can't be so bad, but I never encountered this crash, 'fatal graphics error' or I don't remember it. If your map was way wrong, the campaign woudn't start launching. A trace log stop at :
    [system.io] [info] open: found mods/witcher_tw/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/radar_map2.tga (from: C:\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    Don't know if it's relevant or not to not have radar_map files.

I have no time to look at your tga now and hopefully someone more knowledgable in so called fatal graphic errors will show up before, but did you do anything else beside mapping? Units things, symbols changes or something else related to graphisms? Did you follow a specific tutorial?
    When was the last time you were able to launch a campaign and what did you do after?

I've been using Geomod too for this, and for the Slave faction bit: looking in Geomod for the base game it says the creator for the settlement is the it's relative to, but in this I put the creator as 'Minor Factions' (I used files from Bare_Geomod instead of the base game!) Also the game crashed the same way when the settlements weren't in the inaccessible area; I just cut the region down because I thought maybe the huge region was the problem!

The only thing I can think of other than mapping is I used the necessary files from Bare_Geomod to make the mod work in Geomod, and I threw in some other files (like the menu folder, loading_screen folder) that the system log said I was missing when the game crashed previously to see if that'd do anything...
    I followed Gigantus' 'creating a world' tutorial for my modding!
    And I've never been able to get the campaign to load... Just crashes when starting the game, tapping on the Grand Campaign menu, and now this new crash!

is the faction it's relative to*

slave is the internal name of 'minor factions'. You can set any faction as region creator, except the slave. However it shoudn't cause a crash, the game should temporary set them to your list first faction, 'england' here. Just think of correcting it to make these errors disapear from your log.

Else, I tried to move only your map files to a lighter geomod setup, and it end in the same fatal graphic error so it must be a map thing yes. But I can't figure what is the problem. Best I can do is reuploading your mod without all the unecessary ui files that was making it a little heavy to download, hopefully someone will see the bug.
    https://ufile.io/nye93

Sorry it has been months since I made serious mapping and finding the needle so to speak is often a pain in that area. I also added a quick cfg and exe to launch the mod as there weren't in your archives.

edit, can't find my infos to access a better uploading site right now but the download is smaller and should take a few minutes in slow mode
    Last edited by selv; May 16, 2018 at 07:27 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yup, I would need a different upload site as well to have a look - I can't download from mega, it's blocked in my part of the woods. Not sure about the slave set up error but I think it might be fatal - that's why Geomod by default sets up that entry with the first faction in descr_sm_factions.

While launching and saving may work in Geomod it's no guarantee that the tool didn't scramble a file, most notably descr_strat. But it's pure speculation, I would need the files.

Like the star selv is they've uploaded a version of it to another site (and a bit less heavy - sorry!) but if you have a specific upload/download site I'd be happy to upload the rar there! This community is really fantastic!

I'll get on that change asap! Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry about the heavy upload; I just threw what I had in a rar, but thank you for the less heavy version!

Nono, you're being a great help; I'm really thankful!

Ok I quickly corrected your wrong faction creator slave with replace all of notepad++. I putted england everywhere instead, see the attachment download, think of deleting your map.rmw if you have one in the base folder since I changed the descr_regions. You might want to diversify in time but before doing anything else, you must manage to load your campaign. I think you setted too many regions at once, you are almost at the 199 limit, which woudn't be a problem if you had tested the campaign launch when you had only a few, then tested again for each regions added.

I don't know, I think you should try to remove them one by one(keep backups of the present files) to see if one of them is the problem. That's what I would do without any other ideas.

Gigantus, can't you download from uploadfile.io either? Maybe Jasper should try mediafire? As far as I can tell he broke no hardcoded limit and his text files looks alright for a start. But mapping from scratch I never did that so...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by selv; May 17, 2018 at 08:19 AM.

Sweet, thank you! I'll add those right away and get started on removing regions; I presume it's just a case of making the region sea?

I've already got three different folders (two as backup and one as the main folder - I'll experiment with one of the backups!

And yeh, Gigantus; let me know what site is best for you and I'll upload there when I know!

Aïe, aïe, I think I got it. Forget the deleting region one by one for now, though the delete function in geomod should work fine if you ever need it.
    But your problem is elsewhere, before I had just checked the map size in geomod and saw 510 by 510, so I thought it was fine. But right now I just tried to resize it, just a little, and the tool crashed so I looked at your tga size...
    Your ground_type is 1033 by 1187.
    Your map region is 516 by 593.
    I didn't check the others but you should.

The map hardcoded limits:
    Maps, Regions, Landmasses, Resources, Climates, Vegetation:
    *Number of regions: 200 (Including sea regions)
    *Map size smaller maps (e.g map_regions): 510x510 pixels -wilddog
    *Map size bigger maps (e.g map_heights): 1021x1021 pixels (same as above)
    *Hidden Resources: 64
    *Limit for the number of times you may use a resource:186 -Werety
    *Maximum amount of land masses a map can have: 20 -Razor, B.Ward.
    *Maximum number of climates: 12
    *Maximum number of vegetation models per vegetation group: 4
    *Adding a new ground_type is impossible as it is hardcoded.
    *In descr_model_strat you can not get more than 256 "type".
    *Entries in descr_rebel_factions: there is no limit of creating, the limit is using them, as you can have only one per region.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hardcoded-list

You must resize your tga to not exceed the limits. I would bet anything this is where your fatal error come from.

I'll give that a go!! It'll take me a bit of time, but thank you!!

Sorry; I've been a bit busy recently but I've done your suggestion and it worked!! Thank you so much!!

The game does crash when I try and reload a save, but the fact it works in the first place is a miracle!

Don't worry, modding eat free time away beside real life I know. Glad that you got your campaign to launch. Remember now to always keep back up of working files and test things very often, always in fact to avoid searching and searching which of your recents stuffs is causing a other problem.

I am not sure about the reload crash, can't remember if it happened to me before. But I saw others discussing this kind of crash, somewhere.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bryfgz...world.rar/file

Don't worry; I'll be doing that constantly! Right now I'm just adding forests and mountain ranges, so I'll have a general idea if it crashes!

I'll look up about reload crashes, other than that, it takes a good while to load; it stays on the faction selection screen for a minute or two before loading, but I think it's just because the map is so big, but I'll look that up too!

Thank you again! You were a massive help!

About your very long launch time, it must be because each time you use geomod, the tool 'remake' the historic_events.txt.strings.bin when you save your work, and it does it wrongly/weirdly.
    As far as I know it's no more harmful than that, it doesn't even mess your changed or added historic events when you will get to that, but to save yourself the trouble, just delete the historic_events.txt.strings.bin from your text folder each time after using geomod. Always keep the historic_events.txt in there, and the game will rebuild the strings.bin when you launch the mod. Your campaign will load much quicker.

Worked perfectly! Thank you again!