Thread: After the smoke clears. An English AAR (EU4)

Venomousmonkey's Avatar Civis

Default After the smoke clears. An English AAR (EU4)

Game: Europa Universalis IV

Start Date: 1454

Country England.

Windsor Castle: 1454

The throne room remains empty in the predawn hours. The night's watch of the palace guard stands vigilant in their nightly vow of silence. In the hallway before the throne room the peace is broken, courtiers and nobles alike stream in to await an audience with the king. With baited breath they stand waiting for the start of the day's events. The door opens to reveal a man with a scroll.

He opens it and reads "The King will not be receiving any audience for at least the next two hours. He requires certain men of talent to be at his disposal. You have all heard of the loss of our lands in France. Most of you are former English nobles from France and have lost your lands. The king has decreed we will not waste any more English blood and treasure in France. Your noble status may be redeemed only by your service. The King asks that each noble family gives a man to fight in the Kings army. May you redeem your own or it will be lost to history. I bid you good day."

Shouts of protest erupt from the crowd and soldiers move to push them back.

Henry VI stands over a map overlooking England with his Grand Captain Thomas Beresford.

"What say you Sir Thomas Beresford about our prospects in Ireland?" -Said Henry with a look of concern.

"Your grace Ireland is divided if we strike fast we can gain much land. We must press our interest in those lands before Scotland takes advantage."

Henry pauses then says "I say we go after Ulster and block Scotland from crossing the channel. Do we have the men to do so?"

"Yes your grace I can have the army ready within the next month or two."

"Then make haste, who knows how soon the Scots will make their move."

As Thomas departs the room he looks out the window and stares at the horizon. He is so lost in thought he is startled when his wife enters.

"My love I am glad that you have not given up after the loss of French lands. It warms my heart to see that we will not lead England into decline."

Henry smiles and says "I did so because of your words, even though I would prefer us to have peace."

"Peace only brings us complacency your grace you must never forget that."

Henry pulls Margaret close and kissing her then whispers in her ear "Sometimes I wish we were farmers in the middle of nowhere without a care in the world">

Margaret responds "As do I my love."

Henry departs the room with a smile and travels down the hall. He enters the room to the sound of a Baby crying.

The cries subside as Henry smiles at his son. "Your destiny is yet to come."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will post more later on, I just wanted to get something started for this. My writing is a little rusty, I hope I can produce something satisfactory. It feels good to get my feet wet in the pool again.
    Last edited by Venomousmonkey; May 15, 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Default Re: After the smoke clears. An English AAR (EU4)

Yasss, Eu4! Interesting choice to start at 1454, but this doesn't throw us right into the Hundred Year's war which is frustrating enough, right! I like your first chapter, it gives us a good prospect at what is going to happen (well, Ireland is kind of the choice to start as England). And I like that you adress the problem with the noble families who had lost everything. I wonder how you will go on from this, slowly taking one Irish nation after another, or just take everything at once, but be vulnerable to Scottland? Definitely looking forward!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

It does throw us into the War of the Roses though. Not familiar with tis game system and how it handles civil war. In any case, I have subscribed and await developments to the tale.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good start! I get the impression that historically Henry VI was seen as a weak king - but perhaps history was written by the people who overthrew him - and it's good to see an AAR exploring an alternative history in which Henry VI was (hopefully) more decisive and successful. Your writing is good, you have got me interested in the coming conflict and in the destiny of the King's son.

Now I had to make some adjustments because of some historical factors I didn't account for. But here's the first chapter beyond the intro.

Chapter 1: Descent into Madness.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The sun streamed into a meeting room as members of the court gathered.

Thomas Beresford cleared his throat and said "The King has been sick in the head the past few days. He claims that his mother has been speaking to him among many others. We must consider the future of the nation. "

-Margeret of Anjou said "We must obtain more allies than Portugal, our enemies will see us weak if this gets out".

William Caxton slams his fist on the table and states "He has already broken the Alliance with Tyrone that I had hoped would improve trade the region"

Thomas laughs and says "You mean line your pockets with silver"

"I only think of health of the Kingdom" William Caxton said with a glare.

Thomas pondered for a moment "We must declare you as Regent in the King's stead. Hopefully this will pass in time. I'll make excuses and tell the nobleman that the King is indisposed."

"That may buy us a month at most. Many of the nobles who lost land in France are getting restless. "-Margeret

Margeret enters and sits upon the throne. Hushed whispers fill the room and the Queen stoically ignores them.

"The king is indisposed at this time I will be acting upon his behalf. I expect you to treat me as your sovereign and any disloyalty towards me will be considered an affront to the king. I shall address the grievences of the day.

The court herald annouces. My Queen I give you Johann Andris Diplomat for his majesty the Holy Roman Emperor Fredrich III.

"Your Majesty" Johann says as he bows "I bring greetings from my Emperor and propose an Alliance between our two nations. He fears the growing power of France and believes England to be a healthy counterbalance."

"I think so as well" The queen said with a smirk "Tell the Emperor he will have his Alliance and it must be sealed in blood. The King's 2nd cousin Mary York will be wed to a cadet branch of the Hapsburg. She is 17 do you have a suitor in mind?"

"I do your majesty. Young Albert von Habsburg the king's 3rd cousin. He is a minor baron in Tyrol. I would give a better offer but there is no one else who is suitable. "

"Then it shall be done, inform your sovereign of the marriage I will send her to Austria to be wed."

Several minor grievances were addressed that day ranging from border disputes between minor lords and trade disputes with the Irish lords. Margaret felt herself growing tired at the end of the day. This burden was not meant to be her own. She enteres the room where her once vibrant husband stood.

He turned around and said. "My love how has your day been my mother tells me you've been handling things well."

She sighs and says "Things have been going well my love but I fear I'm losing you by the day."

"Fear not for my mother says we have nothing to fear"

"My love your mother has been dead for nearly two decades"

The eyes of the king grew wide as he exclaimed "SHE SPOKE WITH ME I WILL NOT BE TREATED LIKE A CHILD. I AM YOUR KING."

Henry stumbles and puts his hand to his head "No mother she only concerns herself with my well being she means well.:

A voice shoots through Henry's head "Kill her"

Henry bursts into tears "I will not she is my love"

At this point the king is curled in a ball in the corner crying over and over again "I am the King.....I am the King"

A tear runs down Margaret's face as she departs from the room as Henry is left in his state of despair.

September 18th 1454

Margeret reads reports from the kingdom by candlelight in the middle of the night. She is bored of rubber stamping documents when a servant bursts in.

"Your grace I have a letter from Dublin from Governor Frost."

​ I hope you are well my queen for I bring news from Ireland. The lord of Offalyy has received news of the Kings madness. He sent me several letters mocking our sovereign and saying that you are the wife of a madman. While the King's condition is correct we cannot allow such insults. I have no doubt that you will take this as a most offensive insult and invade them posthaste.

-Your loyal subject Roger Frost

Margeret slams her fist on the table and yells "Wake up the council, we have a war to plan."

Richard Planegenent looks over his Army and sighs. "These are what the Queen calls professionals? Good thing we outnumber them or we would be in trouble. We must make sure we don't outrun our supply route."

He turns to an aide and says "Give this letter to Quartermaster Lowe. Tell him if we have any interruptions in our supplies he will answer to the Queen"

When the Royal Army arrives they see the army of Earl dug in across the field.

A scout comes galloping into camp and jumps off his horse. He runs over to the General and nearly wheezing from being out of breath he says "My lord they are quite dug in if we do not attack now they will only grow more entrenched in their position.

Richard sighs and says "Alright this is it."

The General gets on his horse and yells to his men "This day we answer the crime of despoiling English honor. This arrogant Duke will learn his place in the world. Gold and plunder will be for whoever will take it from the camp. FOR ENGLAND!!!!"

The men cry out a cheer as the infantry move forward in a standard march. Richard signals to his cavalry to take up the left flank. Suddenly a volley of arrows pierces into the ranks of the English. The cries of dying men echo throughout the valley.

Richard Cries out "Forward Men! For God's sake forward!!"

After losing scores of men the English charge meets the Irish ranks and their bloody work begins. Men hacking back forth at each other fills the air with the smell of blood. The Irish fight bravely but begin to lose ground. Richard is met on his left flank by the Irish cavalry.

"Do not fear those Irish dogs! FORWARD TO GLORY!!!"

The Irish and English cavalry collided in a ghastly collision. Both men and horses torn asunder and the cries of both fill the air. In a matter of 20 minutes the Irish cavalry is reduced to nothing. Richard orders his men forward trampling over the corpses of once brave knights. The English Knights stormed into the Irish flank and the brave Irish infantry quickly collapsed. In a matter of moments it turned into little more than a massacre.

Richard took off his helmet and yelled "ENGLAND INVICTA"

The entire army erupted into cheers.

Last edited by Venomousmonkey; May 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I wonder how much difficulty the king's insanity will cause? It's certainly an interesting situation in diplomatic terms!

I thank you for you kind words good sir and hope to have an update soon.

Love your AAR man, and the pictures are so cool too .
    That painting of Windsor castle sold me .
    +rep
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Chapter 2: Fall of the east.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

October 17 1454:
    After the victory of the English the Royal Army settles into a siege camp surrounding the capitol of Offaly. Richard Plantegenet stands with his advisors over a map of Ireland.
    "Have our spies determined how much food they have?." -Richard said
    "My lord we have no intelligence on that matter but by my estimations they have at most six months. I can't imagine them holding out much longer than that."
    Richard sighed and said "Most of those months will be in winter we may suffer heavy casualties. We must pull back most of our men and leave a token force here. No sense in wasting more lives than we have to due to attrition. General Frost you will remain here and oversee the remaining forces. Now go and prepare the men who will stay."

"Yes my lord it shall be done." -General Frost saluted and walked out
    "You have your orders men. Dismissed" Richard said waving everyone off.
    In the morning Richard awoke and found the men ready to move. The march took about two weeks before they city of Dublin was in sight. A smile broke across the general's face. He would have time for relaxation while his subornidates suffered under the winter siege. A lone rider rode out to him in great haste.

"My lord I bring news from the Queen. I just arrived on a ship this morning."

Richard was hesitant, but opened the letter.

Dear Richard, I congratulate you on your victory in Offaly. I am glad to hear that we had not lost too many men in the fighting. I send you this letter to inform you that you will not be returning to England for some time. The court and I feel that the conquest of Ireland will greatly benifit the nobles that lost land in France. Also it will distract the common folk from the King's insanity. You are hereby ordered to not set foot in England until all of Ireland is English soil. Please understand that this isn't a punishment but a reward. History will know you as the conquerer of Ireland. You are granted the title of the Duke of Pale. Bring the governor my seal and relieve him of his post.

Richard fought back tears at the thought of never returning home to Ireland. Was he stuck here for the rest of his days? Never to see the river Thames or Windsor castle again?
    Richard sighed and said "Tell the Queen I will do my duty whatever the cost."

September 22nd 1455
    Richard reads reports from across the Kingdom. He has settled into his post well. The Duke of York and Pale has ruled with an Iron Fist this past year. The local populace came to both fear and love him.
    "My lord, a letter has arrived today." A servant said has he handed him two scrolls.

My lord I am pleased to report that the Duke has surrendered and given me his sword. His people threatened to rebel as more of them were starving by the day. We have negotiated the annexation of Offaly in the name of the King.
    -Your most loyal servant General William Frost.

"Also my lord I have received word that we have been able to fabricate claims on both Donegal and Ulster. Shall I inform the generals of your orders?"
    "No that can wait until tommorrow I give you leave for the rest of the day. Spend some time with that young lady you told me about. " Richard said with a grin.
    "Yes my lord."
    Richard sighed and said "What a shame, I was beginning to like this city."

Donegal 1455

King Neacthan rode through the woods with his personal guards on an October hunt. The chill of Autumn was beggining to settle in and the leave were turning orange. Riding with him was the Bishop Aiden Breathnach of Donegal.
    The King sighed and said "I love this time of year the forest seems so serene."
    "It does indeed my lord but as much as I love the hunt shouldn't you be at home with your bride? The Kingdom needs an heir. " Said the Bishop
    "With how many times I have tried I am started to think she is barren. The lord has seemed to curse me. If she wasn't so loved by the people I would have arranged an accident for her by now. " Said Neachtan as he spit on the ground.
    "The lord blesses those who presevere through trials. Perhaps if you keep trying the lord will reward you. Remember that your father was in his 40's when he had you. God will grant you blessings. You must be pat-" Said the bishop before he was cutoff.

Neachtan dismounted "Quiet everyone there's a dear across that clearing."
    Neachtan crouched down and began sneaking across the field. He put his thumb in his mouth and put it to the wind. He turned to the Bishop and whispered "Fate smiles on us, we are downwind from him".
    Neachtan got in range and was about to fire his bow when a horse came galloping from behind. The deer was startled and ran off. The arrow barely missing it by 4 feet.
    Enraged Neachtan turned around and yelled "This better be important! That was a sure kill you ruined"

The soldier's face was pale as he stammered "Your grace, England has declared war upon us. "
    It was now Neachtan's face that turned pale.

Richard surveyed his army now numbering twenty two thousand. The Queen sent every soldier in England for this campaign. Flower petals rained down upon the soldiers as they paraded through the city of Dublin. The Irish people had grown to love Richard for bringing order to the Pale. Some even whispered in taverns that he would be the next King of Ireland and England. Richard hated the thought, his love for England out weighed his lust for power.
    They arrived at a clearing where an Ulstrian force was dug in on the other side.
    "Your orders my lord?" asked General Frost
    "You will lead the center of the army. Have your most trusted lieutenants lead the flanks. They are well dug in and will not advance. We must push the advantage of our numbers. "

The English army advances and the long-bowman take up their positions. Scores of men begin to fall to the Irish bowman but they are undeterred. The Longbowman unleash their volley with devastating effect upon the enemy. Richard hesitates as their archers are behind stakes.

All of a sudden, the Irish Calvary break rank in a furious charge led by their King. Richard responds with a volley from his longbowman. The archers make short work of the Cavalry and many of them do not make it across the field before fleeing in terror. Panic spreads throughout the Irish forces and they begin to break. The battle was over in less than an hour. Now began the brutal work of running down the beleagured forces.
    About 400 Irishmen had surrendered in the course of the retreat.

Richard rode up and said "Why were these men given quarter? My orders were quite clear!"
    The officer "My lord they surrendered and threw down their arms, we couldn't just slaughter them."
    "You will do as I command or you will share their fate. I want fear to reign on this land. Those who stand against England will die a gruesome death. Kill them all, I don't care how long it takes." Richard said with his eyes red with hate.
    The screams of men filled the air for over an hour.

The charge of the Irish Cavalry at the Battle of The Ulstrian Fields.

Last edited by Venomousmonkey; May 30, 2018 at 06:51 PM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

General Frost will be in command during the winter siege. Is this a play on words or actually from the game. In either case, LOL!!!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Good update, the idea of a war to distract the common folk from the King's insanity is an interesting one. (It suggests an interesting new perspective for Britain's unfortunate intransigence before the American Revolutionary War! ) I can see why Neachtan's face would turn pale, when he received that news.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    General Frost will be in command during the winter siege. Is this a play on words or actually from the game. In either case, LOL!!!
    This was totally unintended lol. I am a fan of the Poet Robert Frost.

Thank you Alwyn. Yes, a war is a good distraction.

I'll be working on an update today.
    Last edited by Venomousmonkey; June 03, 2018 at 01:53 PM.