Thread: Chronothan's Realistic-ish Combat Mod

Default Chronothan's Realistic-ish Combat Mod

This is a battle overhaul currently with only vanilla units but completely overhauled stats. I had a hard time with the vanilla combat, which while better than other ones, didn't come anywhere close to what I would have liked. So far, I have accomplished a preliminary overhaul of stats. I am currently working on balancing but I want to release this to get feedback on what people like or don't like.

Melee attack and melee defense are back! I have split melee skill up into melee defense and attack (it was never really changed, CA just set melee attack and defense to the same level, and then displayed just melee attack on the unit card).

Current Features

-Believable[ combat. Morale is adjusted so units take the most morale damage from casualties and being attacked in the rear. Units die slower, but route at less casualties. Overall combat is slower.

-More shield wall! I have added formation attack to all units that should fight in shield wall and the result is that units will form two lines and stay in them while stabbing at each other. This looks MUCH more like a shield wall and in my opinion works even better than re-enabling the shield wall ability does. Less micro and weird behavior. Check out the video and the picture below!

-Melee skill has been turned back into melee attack and melee defense! This makes units like huscarls more unique as they can have high melee attack and low defense. They are dangerous but also glass cannons. Flank!

-Missiles are much weaker. Armour now does a good job of protecting units from missiles and attacking units with shields from the front will not be very effective. However missiles cause a minor morale penalty. Ammunition has also been increased for all units.

- Cavalry sending units flying has been toned down a lot, charges from the rear still do lots of damage if given enough speed build up.

- Spears and swords are line holders. Swords do the least AP damage but high regular damage and spears do a moderate amount of AP and a moderate amount of regular damage. Axes do higher AP damage, seaxes do low regular damage but decent AP. And two handed axes murder with high damage and AP damage. However, there are variances between units and factions so it is not entirely rock paper scissors.

The mod is still WIP as I am still balancing quite a bit. This is my first TW mod, so I am mostly flying by the seat of my pants here xD. No new units yet. If anyone is interested in unit making I would be more than happy to team up I haven't learned enough about the visual side yet. Once I get the vanilla balance down, I will likely try my hand at making some submods to bring other unit mods in-line with this mod.

Huge thanks to Kam2150 for giving me a starting point for this mod. Divide et Impera is the holy grail of combat mods and in my opinion has the best combat ever in a TW title, so since I am a fanboy, my mod is heavily inspired by DEI.

Compatibility

Unfortunately, the mod is not compatible with any large overhauls that touch combat, and other unit mods will not be balanced with the vanilla units. Crucible of Kings is currently not compatible. I have not touched anything in the campaign so any type of campaign mod will be compatible.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 14, 2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Fixed the Youtube link

Default Re: Chronothan's Realistic-ish Combat Mod