Thread: Adding "Faction Destroyed" video

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Adding "Faction Destroyed" video

So I've searched and haven't found what I was looking for, so I figure I'd post my questions here... In my mod I want to have a short video play whenever a faction is destroyed. I already have the video, it has been converted to .bik, and I can confirm that it plays outside of the mod. It is named minor_lose.bik, placed in fmv/faction, and I have entries for every faction in descr_faction_movies.xml to use that video for both defeat and death. Yet, when a faction is destroyed and the message comes up, no video, just a black box above the text.

Now, my questions are:
    1) Is this type of video considered "defeat" or "death" in regard to entries (in below mentioned file)? Also, what is the difference between the two entries?

2) In descr_faction_movies.xml, do I have to have every entry (intro, victory, defeat, death) for every faction or can I only put entries for defeat/death?

3) Can all factions use the same minor_lose.bik video? Are specific factions considered "major" and need their own ***_lose.bik video?

4) Do I have to have videos "enabled" for a mod? If yes, where do I look at aside from medieval2.preferences.cfg ?

Actually, any other advice to help with getting this to work would very much be appreciated!
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Default Re: Adding "Faction Destroyed" video

1, I think defeat is for the player when a other faction reach it's victory conditions first, and death for any faction destroyed in the campaign.

2, I think you need the four entries.

3, All factions can share the same videos, you can even have the same video in each entries from my experience.

4, I don't think campaign events need videos_enabled to show up but why take the chance? Make sure you have the video enabled in the cfg of your mod.

Else, I already saw the black box above events but it was because of rushy mistakes in the said campaign_script events, for those you mean there is no script needed so I am not sure. Are your bik files in the same video size that the vanilla movies? If there is a mandatory size, I am just thinking since I didn't often added new videos.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I have entries for every faction in descr_faction_movies.xml
    I can't see that file anywhere. Did you mean descr_sm_factions.txt?

4) Do I have to have videos "enabled" for a mod? If yes, where do I look at aside from medieval2.preferences.cfg ?
    Not sure about this but I thought that that was only for cutscene movies like assassination attempts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    I can't see that file anywhere. Did you mean descr_sm_factions.txt?
    In the imperial campaign folder, the one with factions intros movies path and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    I can't see that file anywhere. Did you mean descr_sm_factions.txt?.
    What selv said above. Same folder as descr_strat and campaign_script.

Quote Originally Posted by selv View Post
    1, I think defeat is for the player when a other faction reach it's victory conditions first, and death for any faction destroyed in the campaign.

2, I think you need the four entries.

3, All factions can share the same videos, you can even have the same video in each entries from my experience.

4, I don't think campaign events need videos_enabled to show up but why take the chance? Make sure you have the video enabled in the cfg of your mod.

Else, I already saw the black box above events but it was because of rushy mistakes in the said campaign_script events, for those you mean there is no script needed so I am not sure. Are your bik files in the same video size that the vanilla movies? If there is a mandatory size, I am just thinking since I didn't often added new videos.
    Thanks for clearing things up! +rep

So, just to be clear, it is fine to have an entry for a video (ie: victory) in descr_faction_movies, but not actually have the video file? It won’t cause a CTD?

Not sure if same size as vanilla. I was actually going to ask if there was a mandatory size or if the video would be stretched or cropped by the engine to fit a specific dimension.

Don't know if it would cause a crash but if you point a video path, it would be much safer to have the said bik file there. But it should be easy to test, give a automatic condition for 'winning' at campaign start, own one settlement or the like and you will see.

As for bik format size, I am not sure, just checked tutorials on videos and it wasn't mentionned. Tests might be the best way to find out, or maybe it was a wrong conversion in bik?

Excellent, thanks for the input selv!

Talked with Gigantus and got it figured out. To be used globally, as I intended, it has to be defined in descr_event_images under the faction_defeated heading. And, of course, the bik file must be in the fmv/faction folder as well.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by selv View Post
    In the imperial campaign folder, the one with factions intros movies path and so on.
    So it is. Third Age TW also has them in descr_sm_factions.txt but I guess that was a mistake, somebody trying to do it the old RTW way.