Thread: Historical Boii Army Compositions and Battlefield Tactics

Default Historical Boii Army Compositions and Battlefield Tactics

I had a lot of fun doing a historical SPQR campaign. I'm starting another campaign as Galatia as Boii.

One of the fun parts in my previous campaign was using the triplex acies with Hastati, Principes, and Triarii. Are there known compositions and formations that the Boii tended to favor as well?

Also, this is my first time playing a horde faction and I can't seem to find the EBII pdf manual. Can someone kindly post it here?

Default Re: Historical Boii Army Compositions and Battlefield Tactics

The manual should be in your root EBII directory, though I don't think it has any Celtic compositions beyond the most general.

I think the written info is too sparse, that's why I personally think Brennus never concepted historical army compositions

You probably should be asking what compositions/formations the Galatians favored rather than the Boii, since the Central European Boii are hardly mentioned by the ancient authors. We know a lot more about the Galatians AFAIK. The Italian Boii are touched upon by the ancient authors a bit, but there's only so much we could, or even should, extrapolate about the Central European Boii from their Italian "relatives".
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; May 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Skahn View Post
    You probably should be asking what compositions/formations the Galatians favored rather than the Boii, since the Central European Boii are hardly mentioned by the ancient authors. We know a lot more about the Galatians AFAIK.
    Speaking of, could you recommend some reading material on the Galatians?

Well, being stupid barbarians, you layer them all over the same unit area, forming a horrendous clump, and have them all charge into the centre of the enemy formation at once. For authenticity, I'd recommend all Gargokladioi, sword and board with little to no armour, or alternatively Gaisatoi, whose name specifically refers to their frothing-at-the-mouth naked barbarism.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    Well, being stupid barbarians, you layer them all over the same unit area, forming a horrendous clump, and have them all charge into the centre of the enemy formation at once. For authenticity, I'd recommend all Gargokladioi, sword and board with little to no armour, or alternatively Gaisatoi, whose name specifically refers to their frothing-at-the-mouth naked barbarism.
    Sounds about right

Well the Galatian raiders native to the area are naked or shirtless, so just recruit 20x of them for full on barbaric nudity--because who the hell needs cavalry?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    Actually, it just means that they use spears.
    Resident Language Geek
    Baseless Assertions on the Celts Since 1996