Thread: [Help needed] High resolution Character icons.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default [Help needed] High resolution Character icons.

I adressed to M2TW workshop but there is no expirience in similar cases.
    I use milkshape models of ours to create our character (generals) icons.
    Here how it looks in PNG format (in .tga format looks better) :

This is in the natural size.
    But in game the portraits lose that detail and look blure.
    I though that if i saved them in 32bit/pixel like i do with my unit UI cards they would look good.
    Even when i redused the game resolution to the M2TW "native" 1024x768 the result had to little improvement.
    Any sugestions of how to make portraits to look the same way in game?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Help needed] High resolution Character icons.

When you make them, what is the size of the original pic? I don't think that you work with pics at 69x96 pixels. The bigger the original pic is, the more in term of resolution you loose when reducing it.
    Assuming that the original pic has several layers in GIMP, first, save your model in the relevant format. Then, open it and reduce it to the right size. I don't know GIMP very well but if you can, choose to reduce the size in % instead of amount of pixels. Sometimes it helps.

Another option is to send me the pictures in their original size and I can try to reduce them with Photoshop, just to see if I can achieve a better result.
    Paleologos uses GIMP as well. He might know some tricks to do that
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Here is the bast i could do...
    It seams that full chain coif covered faces need more digital noice removal and more darkness.

Nottice the high detailed UI card of units but low detailed UI portraits of Characters dispite te fact i use the same techics.

I use the default portrait sizes.
    1st i save them as PSD in huge size. Then i cut off the part in the portrait size and then i use digital noice reduse and shaprening and brightness/darkness where it needs.
    I also use Photoshop v10.
    EDIT: Here is an example in .tga format that is in the generals portraits folder.
    Compare the detail diferences from the folder to game.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; May 09, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Try these:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks