Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dominion of Men 3.3 - The End of the Beginning patch released!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Default Re: The Dominion of Men 3.3 - The End of the Beginning patch released!

awesome additions!

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

thanks for all your work - downloading!

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Just when I finally, finally, managed to get RTW to work again, this happens. Now to download everything one more time...

Congrats guys! Looking very good!

Great to see the mod is still being worked on!Also, am I going crazy? When I start up a campaign as the Dwarves I don't control Moria. Instead, it is owned by some orcs. I could have sworn that the Dwarves started with control of Moria - and were able to rebuild the West Gate- but I didn't see any changes to the status of Moria in the patch notes. If Moria was previously controlled by the Dwarves but was changed, could there be a "mini-mod" or something to change it back?
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajidica View Post
    Great to see the mod is still being worked on!Also, am I going crazy? When I start up a campaign as the Dwarves I don't control Moria. Instead, it is owned by some orcs. I could have sworn that the Dwarves started with control of Moria - and were able to rebuild the West Gate- but I didn't see any changes to the status of Moria in the patch notes. If Moria was previously controlled by the Dwarves but was changed, could there be a "mini-mod" or something to change it back?
    It was changed to make the Dwarf campaign more of a challenge. If you play a human campaign, AI Dwarves start with Moria as usual. I think the West Gate mechanic was left out because it was bugged (the trade income kept disappearing).

It's a good idea, actually. The previous Dwarf campaign was the easiest of them all.

But I think the Dwarf intro wasn't updated, and still says they reclaimed Moria.

D'oh - I missed that!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Thanks for the responses, glad to see I'm not going crazy.What would it take for me to change the campaign so the Dwarves start with Moria? (I know absolutely nothing about RTW modding.) I feel like after all the years since the Balrog was destroyed they would have retaken Moria.
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Change he ownership of moria in descr strat, i think. You could probably look up a guide somewhere on twc
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yes, change the ownership in descr_strat as well remove the orc army there and add a Dwarven one, then delete your map.rwm file.

I like the new version so far, but there is one thing that annoys me. Adunabar seems to be completely powerless. In every campaign so far, they lost the south to the RK, and in most of them, they get double-teamed by the RK and Tharbad in the north. I do like that Tharbad now actually does something, but if a faction has to become the expansionist imperialist superpower, I'd rather have Adunabar in that role than the "good" RK. Now I'm worried for all my campaigns with good factions that the RK will inevitably come knocking sooner or later.

Other than that:
    - North Rhun seems to hold out slightly better against Dale than before, unless Dorwinion joins in on the fun.
    - With Dale busier than before, Dorwinion has a good chance of growing strong by absorbing Rhovanion.
    - Rhovanion is still FA's Kenny McCormick.
    - The Beornings seem to expand slightly faster than before.
    - Harondor and Far-Harad hold out significantly longer than before, preventing Harad from flooding the map too early. However, with Dale and Harad having less superpower potential than before, it only makes the RK-Adunabar imbalance more obvious.
    - The other factions don't seem to behave much differently from before.
    ------
    - The idea to grant specialization building bonuses to smaller factions is nice and all, but to have any real chance in the game, these factions usually need to off the bigger ones long before the AI starts worrying about specialization buildings.

Curious; in my experience, AI Adunabar tends to do pretty well in the North, although they usually lose the South at some point.

It should depend on the faction you're playing as well. If you're playing as a traditional rival of the RK, the RK gets bonuses via an initial campaign script. I'd expect to see the RK do a bit better if you're playing as Harad, for example.

I was a bit surprised to see that archer ranges had changed so little despite their nerf. Now, after looking at the files, it seems you forgot to change the range value displayed in their unit descriptions. Can you confirm this?

Also, the ranges of slinger units were left unchanged, to the point where they now outrange most archers, sometimes by a rather large margin. Is this intended?

Good catch - yeah, I didn't think to change the values displayed on the unit info cards.

I'm not sure if slingers are intended to outrange archers. Slingers got a big nerf way back, so probably they're not too OP compared to the lower-range archers - but are you finding that's not the case?

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I love the mod - it is extremely well done and balanced. I never felt like AI cheated. I think it is one of the absolute best mods for RTW. However, for such a polished mod, there is one bug that keeps on reapearring in my Gondor campaign, one of Adunabar's orcish units cause CTD when in battle. I think it has something to do with their LOD models - CTD happens upon enemy closing in.

If that helps you, I think the stack that contains the troublemaker is spawned by event north of Bree, Fornost province I think.

EDIT: It's either Orc Raiders or Orc Band that causes CTD.
    Last edited by intel; July 21, 2018 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    I love the mod - it is extremely well done and balanced. I never felt like AI cheated. I think it is one of the absolute best mods for RTW. However, for such a polished mod, there is one bug that keeps on reapearring in my Gondor campaign, one of Adunabar's orcish units cause CTD when in battle. I think it has something to do with their LOD models - CTD happens upon enemy closing in.

If that helps you, I think the stack that contains the troublemaker is spawned by event north of Bree, Fornost province I think.

EDIT: It's either Orc Raiders or Orc Band that causes CTD.
    There is a known, but not well understood, issue with the Troll models causing CTD. Are there any Trolls int the army in question? If so, you may be able to get around the issue by using the 16bit video option. If that option does not show up you may need to manually edit the preferences file. Also, are you using the Steam version of RTW? If not, switching to that version may help with stability.

jimmy_dude's Avatar Libertus

What I believe you are experiencing is the troll CTD issue, as the Adűnabĺr army that spawns next to Fornost north of Bree does have one unit of hill trolls. I believe the only guaranteed solution to this issue is to go into the descr_model_battle.txt document in the mod's main data folder, scroll down to the "4a_orc_troll" and "4a_orc_ologhai" entries and change each entries' number on the "model_sprite" line from 60.0 to 0.1. Although this will make the game use the extremely ugly long-distance sprite for the trolls even at a close view, I now never get CTD's now from the troll units.

One of my favorite mods for Total War!
    Great job of the FATW Team to expand the limitations of the engine to their fullest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast