Thread: Legio IX Hispana

Foederatus

Default Legio IX Hispana

This is a WIP mod I'm creating that adds Rome to Thrones of Britannia. Why is that you ask? Because why not! The plot goes something like: Legio IX Hispana disappears after 120 AD and suddenly reappears in the 9th century AD, and they have to fight their way across Britain is a brutal attempt to restore some semblance of Roman rule. Right now there is only a custom battle portion of the mod, as the assembly kit has not yet been released. However, I plan to add a campaign element in the future where the player is in control of the legion, composed of large amounts of crack troops but with a catch: no replenishment. The objective of the campaign will be to retake the settlements of Britain for Rome (using the occupation_decision_gift_to_another_faction occupation decision to delegate settlements to an AI ally with much lower quality troops), and the campaign will include many scripted events.

As for now, I've only got the custom battle portion of the mod done, so if you want to play that, here you go!

Also, if you're wondering why the Roman units are so OP, it's because they're meant to be ultimately finite in number in the campaign where every loss will count and carry over from battle to battle due to no replenishment. I've just decided that it might be fun to play with Rome in custom battles for now.

Default Re: Legio IX Hispana

Aww yeah Roma Invicta baby!

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Aww yeah Roma Invicta baby!
    indeed

Also, the mod's on workshop now.

LoneWolf_Sam's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by DETrooper View Post
    This is a WIP mod I'm creating that adds Rome to Thrones of Britannia. Why is that you ask? Because why not! The plot goes something like: Legio IX Hispana disappears after 120 AD and suddenly reappears in the 9th century AD, and they have to fight their way across Britain is a brutal attempt to restore some semblance of Roman rule. Right now there is only a custom battle portion of the mod, as the assembly kit has not yet been released. However, I plan to add a campaign element in the future where the player is in control of the legion, composed of large amounts of crack troops but with a catch: no replenishment. The objective of the campaign will be to retake the settlements of Britain for Rome (using the occupation_decision_gift_to_another_faction occupation decision to delegate settlements to an AI ally with much lower quality troops), and the campaign will include many scripted events.

As for now, I've only got the custom battle portion of the mod done, so if you want to play that, here you go!

Also, if you're wondering why the Roman units are so OP, it's because they're meant to be ultimately finite in number in the campaign where every loss will count and carry over from battle to battle due to no replenishment. I've just decided that it might be fun to play with Rome in custom battles for now.

Sounds like an awesome idea! Good luck.

Foederatus

ok?

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

After Spain they were sent to Wales then onto York ....yeah the Legio IX Hispania disappeared without a trace and the only reasons they can come up with is a massacre by the barbarians somewhere north of Hadrians Wall territory. All pointers are looking at this was a Teutoberg Forest massacre style event, but not having any other evidence or findings after the Legion went missing is a bit strange! You would have thought that Rome would have sent some legions to look for them? and at least some mention of them after the loss of a whole legion? Most strange indeed.

Also after this event this is when Emperor Hadrian decided to build Hadrians Wall! the rest as they say is history...
    Last edited by Clint_Eastwood; May 30, 2018 at 02:16 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oh my, this sounds like a really cool concept! I don't even have ToB, but I'll be keeping an eye out for this mod
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Lucius Verenus's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_Eastwood View Post
    After Spain they were sent to Wales then onto York ....yeah the Legio IX Hispania disappeared without a trace and the only reasons they can come up with is a massacre by the barbarians somewhere north of Hadrians Wall territory. All pointers are looking at this was a Teutoberg Forest massacre style event, but not having any other evidence or findings after the Legion went missing is a bit strange! You would have thought that Rome would have sent some legions to look for them? and at least some mention of them after the loss of a whole legion? Most strange indeed.

Also after this event this is when Emperor Hadrian decided to build Hadrians Wall! the rest as they say is history...
    What has emerged as the most likely scenario (helped in large part by the archaeology of the Vindolanda fort) is that while Hadrian was embattled with the Jewish revolt, which cost him 3 Legions, including the famous Legio X Fretensis, the Brigantes tribe , which had been allied to the Romans, went on the attack.
    Vindolanda at that time was occupied by a Batavian (Dutch) Cohort of the IXth.
    The amount and variety of equipment found and the obvious signs of hurried departure, such as the famous letters, bundled up and thrown on a fire, only for the rain to douse the fire - (which in itself suggests the soldiers were gone already) - which tellingly not only are from people sending them to the fort, but replies and other letters and documents from the commanders wife and other members of the fort. So the fort had to be abandoned on one day, between visits by the Imperial Post.
    In support of it being the Brigantes that attacked and ambushed the IXth somewhere - not necessarily north of the line where Hadrian built his wall are:
    1. In Later years Hadrian was contemplating attacking the Parthians again. Trajan had just defeated them when he died and all the gains were lost while Hadrian put down the Judean and Britannia revolts. A friend wrote to him urging caution saying ' remember how many soldiers you lost to the Judeans and how many you lost to the Britons'
    2. Hadrian coming to Britannia personally to restore matters, little else is said or at least survives but
    3. The Wall Line ran right through Brigante territory on the western side of the island, splitting their tribal land in two.
    4. The original Tribal 'Capital' until then untouched by the Romans and with no Roman presence, was now moved to a Roman built Town with a
    Roman 'governor' and garrison.

All of which does tend to suggest the IXth responded to an attack by the Brigantes and were ambushed, quite possibly on the Yorkshire Moors.
    Looking to the north could be looking in the wrong direction...
    What we do know is that they lost the Legio and it's Eagle as the IXth - unlike the Xth was never raised again.

The Brigantes was a large tribe but others may well have joined the 'revolt' as many did Boudicca's Iceni revolt.

It would be awesome if the battle site was discovered, as the end of Varus' Legions was at Kalkriese