Thread: Slower Military Technology

Default Slower Military Technology

This mod applies the soldier recruitment restriction to all subsequent technologies in the military technology trees. For example in the melee tech tree you need to recruit 10 melee units to unlock the first tier (as normal), you need to recruit 20 melee units to unlock the second tier, 30 for the third tier and so on. The aim is to prevent the player from reaching the higher tiers too quickly (and I may need to adjust the recruitment restrictions to do this).

DOWNLOAD:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A0...atYkCf-1bKdCtN

I am working on trying to get the unlcok requirements to display in the game UI. At the moment, for the higher tiers, it is not possible for the player to see how many units they need to unlock the next tier.

Unfortunately this mod probably won't be compatible with other scripted mods until I find a way to do so.

Incidentally, it seems that CA intended for some of the military technologies to be available from the start (depending on the faction) but I haven't noticed this yet, has anyone else.

Also, on a modding note, changing the technology scripts in the viking.pack doesn't have an effect in game (maybe the vanilla scripts have priority over modded ones?). I don't know if any of the other campaign/faction mechanics scripts work the same.
    Last edited by mauiaw; May 07, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Default Re: Slower Military Technology

Nice work Mauiaw, currently using all your mods and appreciate that you seem determined to fix the same snowbally issues I'm finding on even the hardest difficulties. Got some ideas for you, no idea if you'll like them but they're in a similar vein to your other work.

Buildings need to be no exaggeration 10x more expensive once you move past tier 2, farms also need to be significantly less productive. Upkeep for garrison buildings should be much higher. Currently you snowball so quickly as a medium kingdom.

Winter should be way harsher on food, forcing you to disband units and rehire them in spring.

Corruption bonuses from Governors should be much lower, maybe max out at a 50% reduction instead of a 100% reduction. I'm usually making 40k a turn by around turn 100. Corruption reducing buildings should also be less effective.

Loyalty needs to be WAY more expensive to buy, and much harder to maintain.

Influence needs to be much harder to acquire, feasts need to be much more expensive.

Battles need to be much much harder on higher difficulties, is it possible to mod the bonuses from difficulty?

Bonuses from forges need to be much lower, they currently turn Fyrd into Beserker killers.

Invasion armies need to be armoured veterans, and come in greater numbers. Actually think it'd be cool if only one of the 3 invaded, but that they invaded in much greater strength (10 armies +). Be fun to actually fight a Norman kingdom that is a threat to Wessex, rather than an inconvenience.

Army upkeep needs to scale somehow. One idea I had is make army upkeep much higher, but increase the buffs that King and Heir give to upkeep reduction. That means your first two armies are only sightly pricier, but your lategame multi-army campaigns are WAY more expensive. Maybe do the same for food costs?

Ruler mortality needs to increase (subjective opinion here but this is my preference) I want to use at least 3 kings in a campaign, rather than follow one.

Another idea is produce a % chance of a rebellion for all nobles on 2 loyalty after the first turn. That would mean you can't just ignore loyalty and until it reaches 0.

In my spare time I sometimes read the forums for ideas about how to improve the game, so its nice to have ideas posted directly to me! Some of those changes look like they involve changing more than a few db tables... so might have to wait a while :p. I think the invasions can quite easily be strengthened though, and I did something similar for wrath of sparta. I also like the idea of nobles in 2 loyalty being able to rebel, and if I remember correctly that just involves changing a single value.

I think the idea of having a harsh winter suits 12 TPY mods, but having multiple kings requires having fewer turns per year. I've looked for the parameter that prevents the general from dying until his bodyguard is below 25%, but I haven't found it yet.

Haha happy to deliver strait to the source, thank you for the reply!

Planning to take Crucible of Kings for a spin, know if its compatible with your excellent estates mod?

If you have any luck changing the chance of rebellion, please let me know. I have tried experimenting with it changing the "loyalty_2_chance_of_defection" line to 100, but I still donīt see any rebellion. I have also changed the minimum fame level required for civil war to 0, but I still canīt get it to trigger.