Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating & Editing Unit Recruitment

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Creating & Editing Unit Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    **UPDATED POST**

Hi all,

So I'd really like to start a mod that brings back areas of recruitment and I figured that this place is the best place to find people who will have an idea of where to go. Thanks to this thread and others I started playing around and trying to get it to work but I am hitting some odd problems that hopefully someone knows where I'm going wrong.

So the basic workflow:
    - I am trying to add a unit to the Circenn faction, but this unit should only be recruited in the Circenn region.
    - I picked an existing Irish unit (freemen spearmen) to add to the Circenn region.
    - I duplicated the unit in "main_units" and renamed the first entry "sco_freemen_spearmen" - everything else was kept the same as the original "iri_freemen_spearmen"
    - I added a new mercenary_pool called "circenn"
    - I added the unit to mercenary_unit_groups.
    - I added this new unit to mercenary_pool_to_group_junctions.
    - I set up the province for the pool in province_to_mercenary_set_junctions
    - I added the unit to vik_sco in the units_to_groupings_military_permissions table.

At this point I went through and exported the tables (I was using assembly kit). I followed all the instuctions for the assembly kit, including pasting the correct files to the correct folders before running bob.

Then I ran bob, created a new pack file containing all the edited files and a new startpos. Everythign came up green.

But here is the problem. Now when I am in game as Circenn, Freemen Spearmen are now available in the province of Circenn - all good there. But they are also available in the other province of Monadh and oddly enough, there are two of them available in Monadh (pictures of that below)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If anyone can see what has gone wrong here, please let me know. If you need any more info or screenshots, just ask and I can get some more uploaded.

Thanks
    After spending a long time trying what seems like an infinite number of combinations - it turns out that they key to solving the issue was making sure you replace the existing unit's pool with the new one (eg. circenn), and make sure you DO NOT add that pool to the faction Circenn. If it is assigned to the province, but not the faction, the game will only read one of the units rather than doubling it.

Still have the problem with the UI and the white box appearing in the corner of the units though.

Hi all,

i am very new to modding but i manage to merge some mods (AGU & Swiss Units and Formation & abilities mods).
    However when i add a new units I cannot make my pack work : on launch I have a crash to Desktop.

is there any way to know why the game is crashing like a debug mode when loading mods or something like that ?

many thanks for your help.

Default Re: [Tutorial] Creating & Editing Unit Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Halberdier View Post
    First of all again huge +rep to our modding mastermind Dresden that he shares so many times his big modding wisdom to us.

Dresden is since years a cornerstone and true inspiration for all modders!

Probably there is a problem in your main_units table while doing the whole process with an own created processing file, as in this table we could do the most errors. (oh yes I did it too... )

Try my step by step tutorial and for me it worked.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. launch TOB and deactivate all mods in the mod launcher screen

2. check that no other custom "movie" type .pack files are in the TOB data folder. Normal custom mod files can be in this folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Saga Thrones of Britannia\data

3. create a file startpos_creation.pack file as "movie" type pack in the data folder

In PFM > File > change pack type

4. extract these vanilla tables from the vanilla data.pack and add them to the mod

main_units (all vanilla content)
    mercenary_pool_to_groups_junctions (all vanilla content)
    mercenary_unit_groups (all vanilla content)

These tables below are only needed if you create own specific custom mercenary pools:

faction_to_mercenary_set_junctions
    mercenary_pools
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions

5. don't change the vanilla database table names. don't remove or touch any vanilla rows in these tables.

6. add all custom rows from your mod into these tables at the end of each table.

mercenary_pool_to_groups_junctions (so it should look like all vanilla content + own content of your tables at the bottom)
    mercenary_unit_groups (so it should look like all vanilla content + own content of your tables at the bottom)

7. open the main_units table

Clone the vanilla entry "wel_valley_spearmen" (row number 437) so many times as you got rows in your mod.

Then just copy/paste your real unit_IDs over the cloned ones in the first column "unit". Do the same with the column "unique_index" and copy/paste these numbers over the cloned ones in the related column.

main_units (so it should look like all vanilla content + own special content at the bottom)

8. start C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Saga Thrones of Britannia\assembly_kit\binaries\BOB.AssemblyKit.exe

9. click in the middle screen "Working data" on "campaigns\vik_attila\startpos.esf" (only this file is activated)

10. press the "Start" button and the tool processes the new startpos and launches TOB (it takes quite some minutes to finish)

11. the changelog which appears afterwards should show all log entries in "green"

12. press the "Exit" button

13. the new processed file startpos.esf has been created in this folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Saga Thrones of Britannia\assembly_kit\working_data\campaigns\vik_attila

14. remove the "movie" type file startpos_creation.pack from the data folder

15. add the new startpos.esf to your mod

Optional check:

Check the related faction arrays in the startpos.esf if the units have been added

COMPRESSED DATA - CAMPAIGN ENV - CAMPAIGN MODEL - WORLD - FACTION ARRAY - FACTION - FACTION MERCENARY POOL - MERCENARY POOL - MERCENARY POOL UNIT ARRAY

I referenced the mercenary_unit_groups and mercenary_pool_to_groups_junctions to know what column/values are in this array.

unit_ID
    starting initial unit count
    chance_to_replenish
    max_count
    max_replenish_per_turn
    max_count ? is always the same as max_count above
    is always 0
    unknown > must be an unique number in the mercenary pool unit array of the related faction
    no value
    no value
    no value
    unknown > must be an unique number in the mercenary pool unit array of the related faction

These are the faction array numbers of the main playable factions.

0 vik_fact_west_seaxe
    1 vik_fact_east_engle
    2 vik_fact_mierce
    3 vik_fact_gwined
    4 vik_fact_northymbre
    5 vik_fact_strat_clut
    6 vik_fact_circenn
    7 vik_fact_sudreyar
    8 vik_fact_mide
    9 vik_fact_dyflin
    Hey Swiss, sorry if I'm necroing an old thread but I've been trying to add a recruitable new unit to the campaign in ToB and although I've had success in adding a bodyguard/commander unit with no issues to a specific faction, I cannot seem to add any new recruitable units to the campaign, I've added a bunch of changes so far that do function in the campaign (moving armies, changing prov/city ownership etc) and these are in a working and stable state...I just don't see any of the new units I try and add ever showing up in the faction(s) recruitment panel...I've done it with a basic troop type with no tech requirements and also tried to add more advanced troops later down via techs and none seem to show up in a new campaign game at any point....am I missing a step or is the guide here outdated? or is there a fix somewhere that I haven't found yet? I saw your mods on the workshop and saw that they added units successfully so it must be possible...I've tried reverse-engineering some of what is in the .pack file to compare what files are modified and worked from there as well but still no success! :/

gdwitt's Avatar Semisalis

I'm modding Attila and (later TOB) startpos garrisons. Is this guide still working? I can't work with the CA mod manager for some reason. I have to use Kaedrin to launch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12