Thread: Enabling unplayable factions (almost have it working)

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Default Enabling unplayable factions (almost have it working)

SO I've been trying to get unplayable factions working. At the moment I have it to a point where I can select them from the New Campaign lists as well as correctly load into the game. I'm just using Gliwissig right now to test things and surprisingly their whole family tree is there and working correctly too. So it seems to work fine until you click on a town at which case the game crashes. I'll briefly go over what I've done to get this far and hopefully with the help of the community we will be able to get custom factions working.

Following my own guide for Attila custom factions before Assembly Kit was released this is what I've done.

Firstly, the startpos.esf...

1. Change the middle false value to true in;

campaign_preopen_map_info/campaign_players_setup/players_array/players_array-#/campaign_player_setup

compressed_data/campaign_preopen_map_info/campaign_players_setup/players_array/players_array-#/campaign_player_setup

compressed_data/campaign_env/campaign_setup/campaign_players_setup/players_array/players_array-#/campaign_player_setup

2. Change both false values to true in;

campaign_preopen_map_info/faction_infos/faction_infos-#
    compressed_data/campaign_preopen_map_info/faction_infos/faction_infos-#

Next up is the db tables!

1. political_parties

Clone last two att_politics rows (not pro_politics)
    Change key to match faction name.
    Change ruler effect_bundle from combo box or other major factions.

2. faction_political_parties_junctions

Clone the last two rows (council and ruler rows).
    Change faction name in the first and second columns.

Doing the above for faction #17 in the startpos.esf I have Gliwissig selectable in-game, the campaign loads but the crashes occur when selecting buildings/army. I'll attach the .pack file so people can play around themselves with trying to get this working. There could be something you need to change in faction_tables yet clicking it in PFM just brings up an error. Other possible candidates could be something to do with the buildings or settlements themselves but after looking through a bunch of those tables I couldn't find anything.

Please post if you have any ideas or find anything that makes them playable.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Enabling unplayable factions (almost have it working)

I'm don't have any idea about what could be going wrong in the db tables, but there are a lot of scripted mechanics in ToB. It could be that you will need to change the scripts in viking.pack to account for the addition of a new playable faction.

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Yeah I just tried tweaking the factions table using Dresden's updated schema but no help there. I initially thought it could be to do with scripting but after searching through them a little it seemed like it was mostly just for the faction-specific events and campaign features. I'll try going through the scripts a little more carefully I guess, see if there's a clue.

OwenSnelly's Avatar Foederatus

Been getting stuck on this as well to be honest. Wonder if maybe the assembly kit might help with this? (whenever the hell that is coming )

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by OwenSnelly View Post
    Been getting stuck on this as well to be honest. Wonder if maybe the assembly kit might help with this? (whenever the hell that is coming )
    I had the same issue with Attila, trying to get it working on release seemed impossible. I'm pretty sure we'll need the AK as it does a lot of the manual work a lot quicker and easier as well as making tables in the startpos that are required but not possible with PFM