Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Information] Mod Links, Team, & Credits

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Crucible of Kings

Ritter-Floh on the team, eh?Does this mean that its possible to see the amazing DeI 'barbarian' charging animations added to this mod for the more brutish factions? I know it's early, but PLEASE!!!

Also, I'm loving the name. Very distinctive. The name also pulls up this thread at the very top of a Google search. I'm digging the graphic, too. Reminds me of the main graphic for Game of Thrones Season 2.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; May 07, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Congrats Dresden and team!
    Soon or later I'll have to throw away some bucks for this game so...

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Also, I'm loving the name. Very distinctive. The name also pulls up this thread at the very top of a Google search. I'm digging the graphic, too. Reminds me of the main graphic for Game of Thrones Season 2.
    It took Dresden and I a solid hour to come up with it. You should see the whole convserastion

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dresden: Shattered CrownDresden: something with Crown?
    1stEPI Gunny: Shattered Crown is good
    Dresden: image could be a broken crown with the map in the background
    1stEPI Gunny: Shattered doesnt quite represent
    1stEPI Gunny: just simply because it was in this period that the crown of England was forged
    1stEPI Gunny: so like
    1stEPI Gunny: The Crucible of the Crown
    1stEPI Gunny: Forge of Empire?
    Dresden: hrm Crucible of the Crown is pretty cool
    Dresden: Crown's Crucible
    Dresden: Crucible of the Crowns acronym is CoC so thats a plus. Just add Kings - Crucible of Crowned Kings for an even better acronym
    1stEPI Gunny: hahaha
    1stEPI Gunny: Maybe Crucible of Kings or Forge of Kings
    1stEPI Gunny: FOK
    1stEPI Gunny: or COK
    1stEPI Gunny:
    Dresden: lol
    Dresden: Crucible of Kings sounds cool though
    Last edited by 'Gunny; May 07, 2018 at 01:41 PM.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Voila! Haha, fun read. Thanks for sharing.

It fits very well with the them of the campaign and rolls off the tongue very well.

Thanks. I worked on that graphic way too long yesterday I am not an artist but I think it came out pretty well.

@DakkaDon Honestly I am not sold on having it be 12TPY yet for the reasons you gave. Having characters and dynasties mature and change is important in the game I think. I cant really decide 4 or 12 12 is good for gameplay/seasons. 4 is good for dynasties and characters. I can make a submod at least for 4....or maybe I will make it 4 in the main mod and do a 12 submod. I just am not sure yet on the best direction.
    Last edited by Dresden; May 07, 2018 at 03:51 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I love 4 turn so much more, thanks!
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

I think I am going to change the base mod to 4tpy - it just works better with this game I think.

Edit

Ok, updated the main mod to be 4tpy for now, see how that goes for awhile

The mod should now be compatible with other startpos mods like TPY mods, so if you want a 12TPY campaign just use the 12 TPY mod.
    Last edited by Dresden; May 07, 2018 at 03:54 PM.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

So it begins... Very exciting to see your lot tackling Thrones!

Quote Originally Posted by DakkaDon View Post
    Huge fan of your work on previous mods, and of your ambition here. Any chance you can create a 4TPY version of the mod, like the gameplay of 12 but I also enjoy seeing dynasties rise and fall and you only get that with the 4 TPY timing.

No problem if it's too much effort, just thought I'd ask.
    Haven't tride The mod yet (so it's now 12 TPY?) but playing the vanilla I got the feel that 8 TPY would be ideal for this game. If and when the team manages to slow down the campaign to good balance with dynasties and all.

Its 4tpy right now but you can use the 12tpy mod with this. 8tpy normally makes seasons malfunction.

In other news I am working on an idea to add titles to governors, probably going to rename the governor position also. I wanted to use estates as titles but from what I can tell they arent moddable.

Really enjoying the additional challenge so far. Food is very scarce at least in the early game and one wrong move can see a rebellion or an invading army take over your bread basket. I've lost a couple battles and my best general as Northumbrye because I had to commit too few forces in a desperate attempt to take down Westmorlingas before they rebuilt their armies and rebels took over the rest of the countryside. Now my son will have to try and hold whats left with a token force while the king goes off to face Northleode's army.

I assume it'll still get snowbally if I can ever get my kingdom off the ground. But so far a nice step up from the piss easy vanilla game

The garrisons are an especially nice touch and give the feeling of rallying together whatever peasants you can find to defend a village
    Last edited by rockman4417; May 08, 2018 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I think I am going to change the base mod to 4tpy - it just works better with this game I think.

Edit

Ok, updated the main mod to be 4tpy for now, see how that goes for awhile

The mod should now be compatible with other startpos mods like TPY mods, so if you want a 12TPY campaign just use the 12 TPY mod.
    Marry me Dresden, I'm going to quit my campaign and start a fresh one using Crucible! Question is this compatible with Mauiaw's meaningful estates mod?

While I have your ear, here's some ideas I've been brainstorming with a few veteran friends who are annoyed at how easy the game gets. No idea if you'll like them but just a few I came up with.

Buildings need to be no exaggeration 10x more expensive once you move past tier 2, farms also need to be significantly less productive. Upkeep for garrison buildings should be much higher. Currently you snowball so quickly as a medium kingdom.

Winter should be way harsher on food, forcing you to disband units and rehire them in spring.

Corruption bonuses from Governors should be much lower, maybe max out at a 50% reduction instead of a 100% reduction. I'm usually making 40k a turn by around turn 100. Corruption reducing buildings should also be less effective.

Loyalty needs to be WAY more expensive to buy, and much harder to maintain.

Influence needs to be much harder to acquire, feasts need to be much more expensive.

Battles need to be much much harder on higher difficulties, is it possible to mod the bonuses from difficulty?

Bonuses from forges need to be much lower, they currently turn Fyrd into Beserker killers.

Invasion armies need to be armoured veterans, and come in greater numbers. Actually think it'd be cool if only one of the 3 invaded, but that they invaded in much greater strength (10 armies +). Be fun to actually fight a Norman kingdom that is a threat to Wessex, rather than an inconvenience.

Army upkeep needs to scale somehow. One idea I had is make army upkeep much higher, but increase the buffs that King and Heir give to upkeep reduction. That means your first two armies are only sightly pricier, but your lategame multi-army campaigns are WAY more expensive. Maybe do the same for food costs?

Ruler mortality needs to increase (subjective opinion here but this is my preference) I want to use at least 3 kings in a campaign, rather than follow one.

Once your loyalty reaches 2, you should have a % chance of rebellion. Maybe it's around 30% at Loyalty 1? A bit like the new public order system (which I actually quite like).

Estates should be much more beneficial to keep, and expensive to give out. Currently they're just loyalty machines.

Oh final point for discussion, War Fervor.

The mechanic is mental. It literally adds no value to a campaign. On VH it's just at its lowest setting for the first 70 turns, and then once you research the 2-per-turn tech it's infinite forever. Honestly I like ThroB despite the problems but that mechanic is the most laughably awful implementation of game design I can remember ever seeing in a TW game.

Maybe just remove it entirely? Or do you think it's salvageable?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 26, 2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    8tpy normally makes seasons malfunction.
    Malfunction how? Maybe worth an 8 tpy experiment with ToB?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    It took Dresden and I a solid hour to come up with it. You should see the whole convserastion

Dresden: Shattered CrownDresden: something with Crown?
    1stEPI Gunny: Shattered Crown is good
    Dresden: image could be a broken crown with the map in the background
    1stEPI Gunny: Shattered doesnt quite represent
    1stEPI Gunny: just simply because it was in this period that the crown of England was forged
    1stEPI Gunny: so like
    1stEPI Gunny: The Crucible of the Crown
    1stEPI Gunny: Forge of Empire?
    Dresden: hrm Crucible of the Crown is pretty cool
    Dresden: Crown's Crucible
    Dresden: Crucible of the Crowns acronym is CoC so thats a plus. Just add Kings - Crucible of Crowned Kings for an even better acronym
    1stEPI Gunny: hahaha
    1stEPI Gunny: Maybe Crucible of Kings or Forge of Kings
    1stEPI Gunny: FOK
    1stEPI Gunny: or COK
    1stEPI Gunny:
    Dresden: lol
    Dresden: Crucible of Kings sounds cool though
    I'm crying...

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeides View Post
    Malfunction how? Maybe worth an 8 tpy experiment with ToB?
    Seasons aren't showing correctly with 8tpy.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 08, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

GREat to see the gang back together and can't wait to see what you do with the good skeleton of this game. Is there a difficulty this mod is tailored around? I think it's tough to talk balance and difficulty if we are using different difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by DakkaDon View Post
    Oh final point for discussion, War Fervor.

The mechanic is mental. It literally adds no value to a campaign. On VH it's just at its lowest setting for the first 70 turns, and then once you research the 2-per-turn tech it's infinite forever. Honestly I like ThroB despite the problems but that mechanic is the most laughably awful implementation of game design I can remember ever seeing in a TW game.

Maybe just remove it entirely? Or do you think it's salvageable?
    Thanks for that list of suggestions, I will take a look at implementing them. I may make a "hardcore" version of this mod also at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcwilli View Post
    GREat to see the gang back together and can't wait to see what you do with the good skeleton of this game. Is there a difficulty this mod is tailored around? I think it's tough to talk balance and difficulty if we are using different difficulties.
    I have no idea to be honest. Probably Normal to start and Hard for veterans?

- Lowered minor town garrison amounts at lower tier buildings. Garrisons now get larger as you upgrade.
    - Fixed a vanilla bug where english garrisons were being assigned javelin units for both javelin and archer unit groups

I will work tonight on some new ideas. We will probably be removing the unit upgrade system for now until we can get our own rosters going. This will mean an overhaul a bit of the garrison system as well.
    Last edited by Dresden; May 08, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Required viewing

Edit - nevermind the preview, we went ahead and released it
    Last edited by Dresden; May 09, 2018 at 01:58 AM.

Updated

This is a big update We present our first battle alpha version that looks to slow down battles and make them more tactical. We appreciate any and all feedback to help us work on this part.

Also, for you roleplayers out there or anyone who just loves a bit more immersion, we have added a unique and pretty darn cool Vassals and Titles system. This will give titles to your various governors based on their culture and location. But, watch out! If they lose the title they will become a Claimant for it and be none too happy about it

Vassals & Titles System
    - Governors are now Vassals and gain titles from ruling a province.
    - These titles are different for each culture type and location.
    - When a governor loses his province, he becomes a Claimant for the title. If he regains it, he will regain the title.
    - For now, its there for RP value but we may add effects to the titles or alter the loyalty system to take them more into account.

Battle Changes
    - Current battle changes are in alpha stages. They are aimed at making things slower and more tactical/realistic. Feedback is appreciated.
    - Custom battle rosters have been edited to make factions a bit more unique. We haven't done campaign rosters yet.
    Last edited by Dresden; May 09, 2018 at 02:28 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast