Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Robin Hood (2018) trailer, a steaming pile of excrement

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Robin Hood (2018) trailer, a steaming pile of excrement

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    I read Javier Bardem is supposed to play Cortez, looks like a very unoriginal choice. Is there an actor you'd have in mind for this role?
    Either they revive the corpse of Ricardo Montalban for the role of Cortez or they don't do the film at all. That simple.

I'd rather see a movie about the Classical Maya, to be honest, than the Aztecs, but that's just me.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Cortez should be played by that number to the phone in my car portuguese actor, obviously

Or by the cousin of Alan Rickmann in Prince of Thieves.

(but only when they were in the 90s).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Either they revive the corpse of Ricardo Montalban for the role of Cortez or they don't do the film at all. That simple.

I'd rather see a movie about the Classical Maya, to be honest, than the Aztecs, but that's just me.
    I'm trying to picture him but it doesn't work for me, young Montalban looks too... buff? to be Cortez, same with Bardem, young Alan Rickman is not a bad choice though. I could see a middle aged Emilio Fernandez Romo playing Motecuhzoma II.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

TBH both the Mixtec and the Maya are both more series material than they are film material, you could get some pretty stellar GoT level political plotlines, beautiful and creative costume designs, warfare, sex, violence, all the good stuff, and a plot convoluted enough to spread out through several seasons, with both many and few locations depending on the budget.
    Last edited by saxdude; June 08, 2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Cortez should be played by that number to the phone in my car portuguese actor, obviously

Or by the cousin of Alan Rickmann in Prince of Thieves.

(but only when they were in the 90s).
    Two very excellent choices. Joaquim de Almeida would be a great choice for Cortez due not only to his acting chops, but also the fact that he's Portuguese, and it would be funny to see some Spaniards getting upset and triggered by that online, a blasphemy against the name and memory of the noble, Spanish-blooded Cortez. Plus, Joaquim de Almeida (left) kinda looks like the Portuguese version of Geoffrey Rush (right).

In that same token, I was surprised at how much Robert De Niro looks like the Italian version of Robert Mueller, or at least passable with makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I'm trying to picture him but it doesn't work for me, young Montalban looks too... buff? to be Cortez, same with Bardem, young Alan Rickman is not a bad choice though. I could see a middle aged Emilio Fernandez Romo playing Motecuhzoma II.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

TBH both the Mixtec and the Maya are both more series material than they are film material, you could get some pretty stellar GoT level political plotlines, beautiful and creative costume designs, warfare, sex, violence, all the good stuff, and a plot convoluted enough to spread out through several seasons, with both many and few locations depending on the budget.
    I would pay $5,000 to see a young Alan Rickman play the role of Cortez. Too bad we can't exhume his corpse and bring him back to life ala Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

LOL. A Maya Game of Thrones would be quite a spectacle. It's a shame the Maya aren't more popular in the realm of popular history (since normal people don't often read academic works). I guess we'll have to make do with Tutor-period England or Imperial Rome, [Commodus voice] as it ravages the box office again...and again...and again.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

LOL. A Maya Game of Thrones would be quite a spectacle. It's a shame the Maya aren't more popular in the realm of popular history (since normal people don't often read academic works). I guess we'll have to make do with Tutor-period England or Imperial Rome, [Commodus voice] as it ravages the box office again...and again...and again.
    I am K'inich Janaab' Pakal, Ajaw of Lakamha, ruler of the Highlands and the Peten, loyal servent of Itzamna. Son to a murdered father, king to a fallen Kingdom. And I will have my HBO or Netflix series, in this life or the next.

That Joaquin dude would definitly make a good Cortez.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I am K'inich Janaab' Pakal, Ajaw of Lakamha, ruler of the Highlands and the Peten, loyal servent of Itzamna. Son to a murdered father, king to a fallen Kingdom. And I will have my HBO or Netflix series, in this life or the next.

That Joaquin dude would definitly make a good Cortez.
    Fantastic. Also, yes to the idea of Joaquin Phoenix playing Cortez. I hadn't even considered it, even when I was joking about Gladiator! To think that the solution was right under my nose this whole time.

Fantastic. Also, yes to the idea of Joaquin Phoenix playing Cortez. I hadn't even considered it, even when I was joking about Gladiator! To think that the solution was right under my nose this whole time.
    Joaquim>Joaquin
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    My issue with Alexander is that the movie was poorly edited and paced. Had to watch it twice to understand what the heck was even happening.
    Impossible to tell his story intelligibly in one film, and as it was they left out all but two of his battles, numerous epic moments (like the Gallic dialogue, Diogenes etc etc) so it was extraordinarily fast paced. If it was MCU there would have been 3 films minimum, and it would make sense, unlike giving trilogies to B list tin hat comic book heroes.

My preference would be a megabuck HBO series starting with Philip taking the throne, and 20 hours of screen time later Alexander dying.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

HBO should do a Byzantine series as well (with liquid-fire/wildfire, Tyrion and Bronn/Ioannes Komnenos and his turkish sellsword sidekick etc ).

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Impossible to tell his story intelligibly in one film, and as it was they left out all but two of his battles, numerous epic moments (like the Gallic dialogue, Diogenes etc etc) so it was extraordinarily fast paced. If it was MCU there would have been 3 films minimum, and it would make sense, unlike giving trilogies to B list tin hat comic book heroes.

My preference would be a megabuck HBO series starting with Philip taking the throne, and 20 hours of screen time later Alexander dying.
    I guess it depends how historically accurate you want it to be. Some of these anecdotes like the Diogenes thing sound fake.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I guess it depends how historically accurate you want it to be. Some of these anecdotes like the Diogenes thing sound fake.
    Indeed, the Bucephalus one has the air of heroic fantasy about it too. "And then the ten year old boy spotted the one thing that would calm the horse when the gathered nobles and riders of an entire kingdom famous for its horsemanship had failed to see it..."

Stone tried to tell Alexander's story, the public details, but also pull back the curtain on private stuff like his wedding night, he alluded to possible gay sex with Bagoas and Hephaiston without earning an R rating or getting firebombed by Greek nationalists etc. All that took time so the pacing had to be frantic just to include really bare bones.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Yes indeed, I was also thinking of the Bucephalus anecdote and probably even the Gordian Knot. But a historically accurate series about Philip, Alexander and the Diadochi would be extremely interesting. Imagine if we still had someone like Peter O'Toole in his prime to play Philip.

Pictured: Peter O'Toole as the drunk and warlike quasi-Philip, Henry II

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234