Thread: Osprey Publishing Books

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Osprey Publishing Books

Hi Total War fans,

Do you like Osprey Publishing books? I am looking for fans out there. I have a friend that introduced me to this fantastic books, unknown to me until two years ago. I have got some books in book stores and I am amazed every book has what I like: the military aspects, strategies and descriptions of the battle and also is amazing how many publications they have. Combining Total War Games, historical films and Osprey books is just my favourite hobby. I don't have a background in history, I am a Chemical Engineer but I do love history as my main hobby.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Osprey Publishing Books

Osprey books have been the major source for many modders of TW games as long as there have been TW games. I had a few years ago when I was working on Byzantium TW. I'm not sure if it's still the case but posting images from Osprey books used to be banned. I'm pretty sure they threatened legal action. Which was kind of rude because I'm sure they had a major boost in sales when the TW games came out.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Osprey books have been the major source for many modders of TW games as long as there have been TW games. I had a few years ago when I was working on Byzantium TW. I'm not sure if it's still the case but posting images from Osprey books used to be banned. I'm pretty sure they threatened legal action. Which was kind of rude because I'm sure they had a major boost in sales when the TW games came out.
    Yep, definitely not allowed to post images, but I think you can link to a URL which contains those images. Even then it's an iffy thing. It really brings down Osprey in my mind. I have way less respect for them because of it and usually ignore them due to it. I encourage others to ignore them too.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

To be fair we did used to have every image from every book plastered all over the modding forums. Shame they didn't look to embrace the fan base here rather than take their ball and go home. Could have been an interesting relationship.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; May 31, 2018 at 04:33 AM.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I like osprey well enough, though as an artist, the paintings are, if illustrative, rather unappealing and sometimes ugly. Magazines like Desperta Ferro are much better in that regard though their purposes are somewhat different.

I do appreciate that Osprey goes for the world market with tons of different cultures, unlike the latter.