Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Robin Hood (2018) trailer, a steaming pile of excrement

Default Re: Robin Hood (2018) trailer, a steaming pile of excrement

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    you should watch oliver stones alexander.
    I've watched some scenes on youtube but I haven't been able to scare up a full version of the movie online

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar Unbarred & Unguarded
    Content Director Artifex

Alexander reveals the true story about the man, the myth, the legend.
    He had great big bushy eyebrows.

Kyriakos's Avatar Tribunus

He is in a number of films by a greek director now

(well, two, to be precise; both by that Dogtooth director, who imo is quite overhyped)
    Like my Hagia Sophia?
    I modelled it in Blender.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    That's just because you're a pedant for the Mesozoic era and an apologist for reptiles, and you have no love for the Cenozoic era, being a partisan against mammals and such.

From one pedant to another, let me tell you, for someone obsessed with the era of recorded human history, this movie trailer is like nails on a chalkboard.
    I prefer the term Sauropsida apologist which is more bioogically meaningful
    Hah, If anything I'm a pedant for mesoamerican and Andean history, don't get me started on Apocalypto. But hey, at least you have the relatively historically accurate 2010 Russel Crowe version.
    Last edited by saxdude; May 13, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I prefer the term Sauropsida apologist which is more bioogically meaningful
    I guess I should have said birds and reptiles, then, but my point still stands!

Hah, If anything I'm a pedant for mesoamerican and Andean history, don't get me started on Apocalypto. But hey, at least you have the relatively historically accurate 2010 Russel Crowe version.
    Aside from Apocalypto, was there any big blockbuster film (aside from that Disney animated one) that featured the ancient Mayans? I guess Mel Gibson's version of the Mayas was more like the Aztecs or something. Also, his film is clearly set in the 15th century because the Spanish arrive at the end of it. Most urban Maya sites had been abandoned by that phase, though, correct? Shouldn't his whole movie have been about the Aztecs instead? It would be great to see a recreation of the Spanish siege of Tenochtitlan (in conjunction with their native allies and local enemies of the Aztecs). Instead we got Mel Gibson's strange choice for a movie.

Also, yes, the 2010 Robin Hood was okay. Even though it contained a heady list of anachronisms, it wasn't even close to be offensive as this brief trailer that I wholeheartedly apologize for subjecting you and everyone else to in this thread.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝

We Super Mestizos will inherit the Earth. Until then we will need to put up with this awful Hollywood schlock.

... soon

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Alexander reveals the true story about the man, the myth, the legend.
    He had great big bushy eyebrows.

At least he's hot

Kyriakos's Avatar Tribunus

Definitely a great scene from a great movie, even if the depiction of Edward I of England is almost totally inaccurate. To list a few other things that were just laughably false: there was no "prima nocte" of English lords screwing Scottish brides on their wedding nights, the Battle of Stirling Bridge took place at an actual bridge (shocker, I know), not an open field like in the movie, and there was no successful siege of York in northern England by the forces of William Wallace or any Scottish army.

Scottish rebels have RRRRRRRRRRRRRRouted one of my garrisons, and murdered the noble lord.
    Like my Hagia Sophia?
    I modelled it in Blender.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    At least he's hot
    That aside the movie was pretty good, with only minor inaccuracies, IMO.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Scottish rebels have RRRRRRRRRRRRRRouted one of my garrisons, and murdered the noble lord.
    "Not the archers. My scouts tell me their archers are miles away and no threat to us. Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. Their dead cost nothing."

At least he's hot
    Unless this is a gay or bisexual opinion, I'm always pleasantly surprised to find that women frequent this pimple-infested, testosterone-filled gaming forum of ours. I know that there are a few of them at least, not that I'm going to out anybody. A bunch of male members will then suddenly flock to their user pages.

I thought Colin Ferrell played a decent Alexander. He might not have been the best choice in the world, but he took the role seriously enough. Oliver Stone is a bit pretentious and it shows in his film making, but overall I think this movie deserved better critical claim and box office numbers than it received. It wasn't a flop at the box office, but it barely broke even. Speaking of gays and bisexuals, Oliver Stone assumes that the lukewarm reception at the domestic box office was perhaps partly because of the bisexual love scene in the movie and that American audiences were turned off by that or something. That and the theatrical movie was super long, let's be honest, when it could have been edited down a bit more. It was at least timed fairly well, given how it was released a year after the beginning of the Iraq War. Alexander's invasion of Mesopotamia had obvious connections for the time in which the film was released.

As for this Robin Hood movie that's coming out soon, I doubt it will have any great message to say about the ambiguous time period in which it is set (which could range from anywhere between the years 1100 and 1900 given the steampunk crap). I also heavily doubt it will have something worthwhile to say about the present. Scratch that, it won't have anything worthwhile to say period.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Miles

A superhero-type of movie made for braindead people around the world (or just Amurica) . They adapt it to the intelligence and mentality of the current young generation like 99% of the movies today.

But, it will have more box office than Thor: Ragnarok and that will make my day.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I guess I should have said birds and reptiles, then, but my point still stands!

Aside from Apocalypto, was there any big blockbuster film (aside from that Disney animated one) that featured the ancient Mayans? I guess Mel Gibson's version of the Mayas was more like the Aztecs or something. Also, his film is clearly set in the 15th century because the Spanish arrive at the end of it. Most urban Maya sites had been abandoned by that phase, though, correct? Shouldn't his whole movie have been about the Aztecs instead? It would be great to see a recreation of the Spanish siege of Tenochtitlan (in conjunction with their native allies and local enemies of the Aztecs). Instead we got Mel Gibson's strange choice for a movie.

Also, yes, the 2010 Robin Hood was okay. Even though it contained a heady list of anachronisms, it wasn't even close to be offensive as this brief trailer that I wholeheartedly apologize for subjecting you and everyone else to in this thread.
    No, only mexican movies ever touch on the theme and they've been relegated into the golden era of Mexican cinema. I've heard rumors about a possible Cortez series directed by Spielberg and I crindge at the slightest thought of it.
    There was nothing to the Gibson movie, the closest comparison in regards to accuracy or respect for the culture would be Brad Pitt's Troy, and the latter has a hearty lead. Any post detailing the innaccuracies would be too long, and that's ignoring the sandal types.

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

The thing I hate is that they would try to portray Cortez as a goody two shoes who dindu nuffin. Only reason I would watch a Cortez series is to see him establish first contact, fight battles and murder multitudes of people. Like the real Cortez did.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gay.

As for bisexual sex scenes in movies leading to smaller audiences, maybe. I doubt it can be blamed on some sort of homophobia in full, though in 2005 attitudes were different. Most democratic candidates were still against gay marriage then, I guess they hadn't yet been enlightened by some sort of moral relativism...

Whatever the case I sort of hate sex scenes in movies that aren't meant to be romantic dramas. Sex scenes are big time wasters, and it's nasty to have to sit next to my dad while two actors bump uglies on the screen, I don't care what kind of sex it is. Take Game of Thrones for example, when their budget runs out on some episodes you can always tell because they throw in needless sex scenes

There were plenty of other issues with Alexander imo....
    one of my favorite youtube channels.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 21, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I've watched some scenes on youtube but I haven't been able to scare up a full version of the movie online
    I think the director's cut is on Netflix.

I'm not impressed with the Robin Hood trailer. It's the Inception "BWWAAAAAA" that makes my teeth grind. There also doesn't appear to be a Little John, Will Scarlet, or Alan a'Dale anywhere in the mix. It's just Robin, Achoo, and Marian.

Still, it can't be worse than Robin Hood: Ghosts of Sherwood.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

My issue with Alexander is that the movie was poorly edited and paced. Had to watch it twice to understand what the heck was even happening.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3