Thread: Carthage empire building: Roma reversed or something different?

Default Carthage empire building: Roma reversed or something different?

For once I wanted to try something different and run a Carthage campaign. My idea was taking advantage of fleet power, staying close to the Mediterranean coast and rely more on satraps and allies instead of building huge land blocs, except for Spain.

Not sure if this really worked out, my unforced war with Rome brought me pretty much up north, and now I have a satrap there fielding 8 legions from 2 provinces, which could turn out to be a two-sided sword. Except for large numbers of allies and satraps, by now my empire starts looking more and more like a reversed Rome anyhow.

I was keeping an eye on economic or cultural victory, but looking at victory conditions in the end everybody has to become another version of Rome?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180504080556_1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	353072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180504083342_1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	765.9 KB 
ID:	353073

Default Re: Carthage empire building: Roma reversed or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Slow View Post
    I was keeping an eye on economic or cultural victory, but looking at victory conditions in the end everybody has to become another version of Rome?
    Yeah, and why not? No one dreams of being overlord of Sarmatia and Suebia, not even barbarians that live there. Why spend summer in gloomy dark forests when you can enjoy olives and greek wine while sunbathing at the beach somewhere in Sicily.

Actually I don't like much late stages of the game, it just feels strange to dominate the world with any faction except Rome. And there is this subtle feeling of lacking your own "historical" military development and your own regular imperial troops of some kind. Not to diminish the work put in mod's reforms of course.
    For the most part, I play short campaigns focused on local domination and this is an easily prepared pen and paper stuff. Make Makedonia great again!

Centenarius

Matt, that is Hannibal's wet dream. What a fun looking campaign.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Well you could have waited a bit. Our updated Carthage roster will surely melt you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Matt, that is Hannibal's wet dream. What a fun looking campaign.
    I bet you will like this even more, it's turn 189. Catalyst of this has been Rome's ludicrous DOW and their inability to make peace, plus me not resisting to autoresolve an all-fleet assault on Tarentum. I hate micromanaging attacks with fleet artillery and usually lose them. However, the armies already had been on their way, so at the end of the day it just may have been the same. In fact Rome went down before I could finish Spain, which seems very odd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn189.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	644.8 KB 
ID:	353105

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Well you could have waited a bit. Our updated Carthage roster will surely melt you down.
    I would be very much tempted doing so. I am now at barracks tier III and the only units really intriguing are elite hoplites plus cavalry as I never found out the thing about elephants. The big melee ships and balearian slinger ships got a lot more love, so the navy already is a bit more interesting.

For several reasons in the past I found Carthage rather frustrating, plus as @Furgon mentioned it also never felt right doing this without Rome. However I'd love to see some alternate history and most likely to me would be some kind of Carthaginian trade empire which leaves room for some major powers surviving around that and using less military control over provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Slow View Post
    I would be very much tempted doing so. I am now at barracks tier III and the only units really intriguing are elite hoplites plus cavalry as I never found out the thing about elephants. The big melee ships and balearian slinger ships got a lot more love, so the navy already is a bit more interesting.
    I could assure you that your next Carthaginian campaign will be much more interesting.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    I could assure you that your next Carthaginian campaign will be much more interesting.
    Thread about carthage? Count me in! For me carthage is all about dominating mediterrainean, just as Romans did. When I take down Rome, I go for Hellas and after that for Egypt. Thats pretty much the moment when I come back to some of the hellenic factions' campaigns I have going on. Then I get bored of them and start a new campaign with Carthage playing out pretty much the same

Elephants are the in carthage roster. Trample down any enemy cav they foolishly unleashed on you. Then your cav goes for skirmishers and your elephants smash flanks of enemy lines. Win on flanks, hold the middle line, then surround and slaughter. The Cannae way

@greekstrategos stop with this constant tease about new roster! Just release it already you guys. Cant literally wait to check those bad boys out

I guess that were all forced to go down the Roman alley with empire constrcution. It feels only natural as the cities are rich, have unique structures and resources and "all the fun stuff" happened around meditterainean and levant.
    Aside from that, Carthage was naturally positioned to expand in same manner that Rome did provided they would beat and subjugate them. Not enough manpower tho

Quote Originally Posted by Nordling View Post
    @greekstrategos stop with this constant tease about new roster! Just release it already you guys. Cant literally wait to check those bad boys out
    Any day now (I'm taking about the preview not the update)...