Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality of abortion

Default Re: Political Spectrum Quizzes and the Moral Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yes that's a demographic disaster, so abortion policy can't exist in a vacuum. In modern Western societies its a positive benefit to have abortion on demand for women.
    Well, you can argue from an exclusively Western point of view, but from a perspective of "what effects the abortion policy has on the World", the result is female fetuses discarded en mass to benefit a more male numbered society, in preference for the male gender.

This is why it's so ironic females talk of this as "liberation of the female gender", just because something works in favour in your neighbourhood, doesn't mean that what's brewing in the World, and the more populated countries isn't working in opposite direction.

Interesting scenario, not sure about the outcome. Killing a foetus for being "likely to be gay" seems evil, but I don't think a mother's motives can be questioned: if she doesn't want it it dies. I guess its the "not wanted" part that tends to make a child more likely to be criminal.
    In such a scientific advanced scenario, where you could screen for a gay gene in the fetus, it could have as a result the progressive and complete elimination of homosexuality from the human race, this by Liberal policies and thinking.
    World can be ironic as heck.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Morality of abortion

Yes that's a demographic disaster, so abortion policy can't exist in a vacuum. In modern Western societies its a positive benefit to have abortion on demand for women.
    Why should women be able to just have abortion on demand, whenever they want, when the otherwise perfectly healthy baby poses no risk to the mother's health.

Interesting scenario, not sure about the outcome. Killing a foetus for being "likely to be gay" seems evil, but I don't think a mother's motives can be questioned: if she doesn't want it it dies. I guess its the "not wanted" part that tends to make a child more likely to be criminal.
    Does a foetus not represent a life? If not, why.
    Well not even necessarily in the sex act, they can to ejeculation and the semen can be implanted with a turkey baster.
    Are you really saying men should have no contribution whatsoever to whether their offspring lives or dies.

Actually it starts as a female gamete with a trace of male DNA implanted, forms an egg inside the woman's body that hatches, the little wriggler that emerges implants in the uterus wall and essentially parasitises on the woman's body by attaching a feeding organ (the placenta). Its not viable as a separate entity until the last trimester usually, but the barriers are being pushed. So the answer to your question is really you need to inform yourself a bit more rather than asking silly rhetorical questions.
    A trace? It's 50/50. Before fertilisation, an egg is just an egg. A sperm is just a sperm. After fertilisation, there is a permanent chemical change, at which point that zygote represents everything needed to create an individual, with a complete human DNA, is in a permanent state of growth, and as such is human from that point onwards.

Not really. If the mother does not want the child its more likely to be a criminal IMHO. Your hypothetical "good father' could mitigate that but real life is a but different to hypotheticals.
    Im sorry? Mother's should kill their unborn babies just because they don't want to be mother's?

Maybe you want "Good Fatherhood" guaranteed? I mean divorce settlements try to enforce this but its pretty hard to get many men to even see their children. Mandating "good behaviour" is an aspirational goal of many backward systems like Presbyterian and Catholic Christianity or Chinese Communism.
    Men are always expected to be fathers. The family unit is the very basis of society.

I think you have a right to your opinion, but this is a grim pragmatic decision best left to cold Malthusian decision makers rather than people with idealistic visions of caring fathers for every child.
    Should we murder unborn humans if they happen to not have a father in the household?

They have powerful primitive religious factions that demand bizarre cult practices to prove they are in charge? Northern Ireland suffers from strong religious factionalism that has seen much bloodshed that horrified more civilised countries.
    Perhaps it is that same past bloodshed that make sure us actually value life more than you.

Its not an obsession, its a cold calculation.
    Its not, you're completely disregarding the fact that it is the father's child just as much as the mother's.

Practical experience will show you that in the vast majority of cases the children definitely belong to the mother more than the father.
    But it isn't 'the rule' per se that it is always 'the mother's'. A child is a mutual and equal offspring of two people in a relationship.

Nonsense. You're making a sweeping and derogatory mischaracterisation of thousands of women. The women I know who have had abortions experience pain and guilt as a result even when it was indubitably ethically justified.
    How exactly, is the termination of a healthy foetus justified?

Not if the test is "does the mother want it?".
    It's not the mother's choice to make. She made that choice to have a child when she made the decision to get pregnant.

...and you have it. I'm surprised you welcome a society characterised by bigot murderous violence and poverty. Most citizens aspire to a peaceful prosperous life.
    Are seriously suggesting our abortion laws are the root of societal problems in Northern Ireland???

No its a grim pragmatic policy, one that works. You can cry about it but try not to interfere with policies that save your society. As mentioned Northern Ireland benefits from the rest of the British Isle's more civilised approach to abortion. If everyone was as backward as the tools in Stormont your country would be even worse.
    It wouldn't help if you didn't ad hominem every single pro-life advocate as 'backwards' 'bigoted' or 'uncivilised'.

Last I checked the rest of the British Isles is having its own problems with newfound Islamic terror attacks, and the displacement of the working classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Norn Iron is an anomaly in almost every way imaginable. Visiting is like like visiting Amish country in Pennsylvania, except the puritans are more likely to froth at the mouth in one of those places.
    No, it really isn't.

Then we have the popular views in Norn Iron: hatred of gays, a nearly erotic fetishization of imperialism, the election of terrorists and bigots to political positions (having no alternatives), the continued celebration and entrenchment of sectarianism, widespread racism and xenophobia.
    Anti-gay marriage is not the same as hatred of gays, remotely.

Unionism is not in any way imperialism.

Im not sure why sectarianism, racism, and xenophobia is relevant to abortion.

While it is generally improving on all counts, especially in urban areas, it must be admitted that Norn Iron is still far behind every other western country.
    So, in other words, we're not 'progressive' enough, and we have to step into line like everyone else? No, we have our own semi-devolved sovereignty, and will use it.

Women having sovereignty over their own bodies is progress, yes.
    It's not their body, it's not their choice. What choice does the child have? A foetus is not simply a body part, either, so I don't get the 'my body my choice' thing at all.

It is 100% the woman's body.
    Well actually it's a separate individual life that is 50% her genes and 50% the father's, but go on.

Consent and self sovereignty is so instantiated in western culture that even a corpse needs to consent to having its life saving organs removed in the form of an organ donor card.
    So why doesn't the foetus get to give consent.

It can't be restricted or extended. Such as extending it to a mass genocidal crisis worthy of international news concerning every cum soaked sock.
    A single sperm cell is not a human, this a strawman.

Should we have a funeral every time a zygote fails to attach itself to the uterine wall? An event which happens to to 75% of all fertilized ova.
    Well, the only reason we don't consider it a miscarriage is pretty much because we aren't aware of it most of the time.

I don't think the "restriction" is a restriction. an embryo before the 9th-12th week lacks an independent metabolism, an essential criteria for determining life. A blurry line, to be sure. But far more meaningful than the arbitrary magical moments of fertilization or vaginal crowning.
    It has all the information necessary to grow an adult human, thus, is human itself. It is a stage of growth, just like infancy or puberty. Is an infant not fully human too?

It's still not the man's body.

Wow.
    What's it like living in the 1930s? Hey, watch out for the Adolf Hitler: He's a bad egg.
    I never said it was the man's body. The only 'body' here, is the unborn one.

I'm just making the point that men have a hell of a lot more than their sperm to contribute to a child's upbringing.

The only western country where this is the case is Ireland, and that's almost certainly about about to change in a few weeks. We're just kinda slow, punctuality is the thief of time after all.
    The Irish Republic, by definition is a foreign country.

We exercise eugenics through sexual selection too you know. But yes, this is an excellent point.
    Yea, sexual preference absolutely is an example of natural selection, but the artificial termination of those who we consider 'imperfect' is wrong.

It saved nothing. It merely forced thousands of women the traumatic experience and cost of travelling to Britain or the Continent for the procedure, making it not just a gender issue, but also a class issue. Increasing single motherhood, with the associated increased crime rates and crippling fiscal costs onto the already fiscally deprived, with further increases to the already unbridgeable socio-economic divide between lower and upper classes.
    Thats a cultural issue. The solution is not killing babies. And it has saved 1000s of people who would otherwise be dead.

Legalising abortion puts pressure on young women to abort their child. Where has the positive image of family gone too? What happened to settling down and having a family. Or are people so self centred they value a career more than children. I find that incredibly immoral, and a breakdown of society in of itself.

Should people not have to live with the consequences of their actions? Such as, unprotected sex they know full well could very likely get them pregnant.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Women are always going to abort pregnancies they do not want. Whether it's because they were raped or simply cannot look after a child, it will happen, and the best and moral thing to do is to provide women with a safe and accessible way of doing so. The issue I see with the abortion debate is that the interest and care for the foetus by the 'pro-life' side tends to stop at birth. After which the live child and their mother can fend for themselves, apparently. You don't want a woman to abort her pregnancy, but are you willing to provide more benefits for single mothers? Subsidized housing? Adequate maternity leave? What about accessible birth control and proper sex education? The people that tend to be staunchly against abortion also don't tend to be the people that advocate such things.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Blog Entries

I'm all for sex education, but I'm also all for people taking care of themselves, without resorting to aborting babies.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

When Jesus made the statement that we were/are conceived in sin He was laying down that at conception life begins, sinful life but nonetheless actual life. I used to think that life began when a baby took its first breathe separate from its mother and I only changed my tune when I read of what happens to a fetus when abortion takes place. The descriptions turned my stomach so much as to convince me that I was wrong, so wrong. That fetus is not a tumour or any suchlike to be medically extracted from a mother sometimes, perhaps most times, in bits and pieces to be harvested for the good parts whilst the rest is flung in a bin. It's monstrous and if every women was shown pictures of what they were delivering themselves up for perhaps most would not abort their fetus.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

At what point of time does the abortable fetus become a human being the killing of which would be murder?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Blog Entries

It is human from conception. The embryo is the first stages of life. Abortion is always murder. Why do the 'rights' of the woman to an abortion (which I do not consider a human right at all) trump the right to life of genetically distinct organism that is her child.

https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/a...yoquotes2.html
    "Human development begins after the union of male and female gametes or germ cells during a process known as fertilization (conception).
    "Fertilization is a sequence of events that begins with the contact of a sperm (spermatozoon) with a secondary oocyte (ovum) and ends with the fusion of their pronuclei(the haploid nuclei of the sperm and ovum) and the mingling of their chromosomes to form a new cell. This fertilized ovum, known as a zygote, is a large diploid cell that is the beginning, or primordium, of a human being."
    [Moore, Keith L. Essentials of Human Embryology. Toronto: B.C. Decker Inc, 1988, p.2]
    "Embryo: the developing organism from the time of fertilization until significant differentiation has occurred, when the organism becomes known as a fetus."
    [Cloning Human Beings. Report and Recommendations of the National Bioethics Advisory Commission. Rockville, MD: GPO, 1997, Appendix-2.]
    "Embryo: An organism in the earliest stage of development; in a man, from the time of conception to the end of the second month in the uterus."
    [Dox, Ida G. et al. The Harper Collins Illustrated Medical Dictionary. New York: Harper Perennial, 1993, p. 146]
    "Embryo: The early developing fertilized egg that is growing into another individual of the species. In man the term 'embryo' is usually restricted to the period of development from fertilization until the end of the eighth week of pregnancy."
    [Walters, William and Singer, Peter (eds.). Test-Tube Babies. Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1982, p. 160]
    "The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."
    [Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3]
    "Embryo: The developing individual between the union of the germ cells and the completion of the organs which characterize its body when it becomes a separate organism.... At the moment the sperm cell of the human male meets the ovum of the female and the union results in a fertilized ovum (zygote), a new life has begun.... The term embryo covers the several stages of early development from conception to the ninth or tenth week of life."
    [Considine, Douglas (ed.). Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia. 5th edition. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1976, p. 943]
    "The development of a human begins with fertilization, a process by which the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."
    [Sadler, T.W. Langman's Medical Embryology. 7th edition. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins 1995, p. 3]
    "Zygote. This cell, formed by the union of an ovum and a sperm (Gr. zyg tos, yoked together), represents the beginning of a human being. The common expression 'fertilized ovum' refers to the zygote."
    [Moore, Keith L. and Persaud, T.V.N. Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology and Birth Defects. 4th edition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 1993, p. 1]
    "Although life is a continuous process, fertilization is a critical landmark because, under ordinary circumstances, a new, genetically distinct human organism is thereby formed.... The combination of 23 chromosomes present in each pronucleus results in 46 chromosomes in the zygote. Thus the diploid number is restored and the embryonic genome is formed. The embryo now exists as a genetic unity."
    [O'Rahilly, Ronan and M�ller, Fabiola. Human Embryology & Teratology. 2nd edition. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1996, pp. 8, 29. This textbook lists "pre-embryo" among "discarded and replaced terms" in modern embryology, describing it as "ill-defined and inaccurate" (p. 12}]
    "Almost all higher animals start their lives from a single cell, the fertilized ovum (zygote)... The time of fertilization represents the starting point in the life history, or ontogeny, of the individual."
    [Carlson, Bruce M. Patten's Foundations of Embryology. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996, p. 3]
    Life is a continuous process of growth and change, with many stages. The embryo, and fetus are no different to any other in terms of the right to life, to not be killed needlessly.

Abortion when the mother's life is endangered is justified, absolutely! But abortion simply on demand, just because it is inconvenient to the mother, I find abhorrent.

In England, anyone who wants an abortion gets one. They have never refused an abortion to a woman. That's not the kind of society that a great many people want to live in.
    Last edited by Aexodus; May 04, 2018 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    At what point of time does the abortable fetus become a human being the killing of which would be murder?
    "The Church of England combines principled opposition to abortion with a recognition thatthere can be strictly limited conditions under which it may be morally preferable to anyavailable alternative. This is based on our view that the foetus is a human life with thepotential to develop relationships, think, pray, choose and love.Women facing unwanted pregnancies realise the gravity of the decision they face: allabortions are tragedies, since they entail judging one individual’s welfare against that ofanother (even if one is, as yet, unborn).Every possible support, especially by church members, needs to be given to those who arepregnant in difficult circumstances and care, support and compassion must be shown to all,whether or not they continue with their pregnancy."

General Synod 2017.

Blog Entries

That doesn't answer the question^

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    That doesn't answer the question^
    Yes it does.

The Church rejects abortion (with limited exceptions) but will not condemn those who choose not to continue their pregnancies as murderers. On the contrary it asserts that they should be treated with support and compassion. Whilst you could make the argument that the Church would tend to apply similar logic to all people, the general implication of the statement is that there isn't a "point of time" during the pregnancy at which abortion becomes tantamount to murder.
    Last edited by Cope; May 04, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Yes it does.

The Church rejects abortion (with limited exceptions) but will not condemn those who choose not to continue their pregnancies as murderers. On the contrary it asserts that they should be treated with support and compassion. Whilst you could make the argument that the Church would tend to apply similar logic to all people, the general implication of the statement is that there isn't a "point of time" during the pregnancy at which abortion becomes tantamount to murder.
    So right up until the birth itself? Just to clarify, are you ok with that? Right up til the very day of birth, if there is indeed no 'point of time'.

Is it it even possible to define this, beyond the stage of fertilisation?

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    So right up until the birth itself? Just to clarify, are you ok with that? Right up til the very day of birth, if there is indeed no 'point of time'.

Is it it even possible to define this, beyond the stage of fertilisation?
    Aexodus, I'm a Christian. I believe that life begins at the point of conception. But like the Church, I simply shall not categorize would-be parents as "murderers" for choosing to have an abortion. It would be grotesque to classify millions of decent people alongside society's worst offenders. That's why when Iskar asked "At what point of time does the abortable fetus become a human being the killing of which would be murder?" I rejected the implication that there must be a point at which abortion becomes murder.
    Last edited by Cope; May 04, 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Honestly from a medical perspective we rarely consider the baby in any level before the first 3 months. The frequency of genetic instability, placental detatchment, thyroid/hormal imbalance, diabetic complications, uterine abnormalities, cervical abortion, drug & alcohol & diet abortion, blood disorders and immunological dysfunctions means that honestly I would not be surprised if we were to do a very thorough conception study we'd find well over half or more "humans" are aborted due to natural causes. Beyond that, the medical definition is when a fetus can survive unassisted out of the uterus. In general the 50/50 mark is at about 5 months whereas a baby born 3 months premature has a 50/50 chance of survival. At that point medicine considers them worthy of rights.

Regardless I don't really consider fetuses babies, I don't believe in a soul or any nonsense like that. A mass of cells is a mass of cells and while I do consider life sacred I would never subject someone to parenthood who is not capable of doing so, nor would I subject a baby to adoption or an orphanage who does not need to be. Terrible things happen when you outlaw abortion. Terrible things happen when you outlaw contraception. It is not a good practice and we have ample experience to know that legal abortions no matter your ethical objections to an abortion are still better than the ethical issues which arise with outlawed abortions. I would not say the supreme court by today's definition was particularly liberal in Roe Vs Wade, they didn't have to be, the truth was that compelling.

Why do I not think it's a moral issue to kill a fetus? You can produce thousands of fetuses each of which could become a human, the responsibility of taking care of that human and cultivating a human is far more important than the potential of a mass of cells to become a human. I see waaaaay too many people who have children who shouldn't ever be allowed to come within 100 feet of a child working in fertility and pediatrics. Adoption is not an easy process and the life which those who aren't adopted have to look forward to is outright abuse. Forcing someone into that life because of your ideological hang ups is silly. Unless you're willing to take responsibility and open your home up to those children who need a home and offer them the care and love they deserve, I'm sorry but your opinion is little more than hot air from someone who clearly has no understanding or conception of what morality actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    The reason we have laws at all is that by collectively deciding to uphold them, we protect ourselves. It's an insurance policy, if you will. If someone robs you, others will denounce them not because it is written somewhere, but because they would want you to do the same for them. Now the codification certainly helps to apply the rules, but it doesn't abstract them from their origins. So, regarding abortion, it may be codified that killing a person is bad and that may lead to a biological debate about when a foetus becomes a human being, but that's a wild goose chase. The question is, whether you have a stake in its fate the same way I described above concerning robbery. That stake is what justifies interference in the lives of others. What's your stake in some anonymous foetus? Could it be you next time?
    You're proceeding from the assumption that no one morally opposes harming other people, and that the only reason we advocate against it is for selfish/pragmatic reasons; namely, in order to minimize the chance of it happening to us in the future. I think that's a pretty baseless belief. You presumably oppose enslaving or massacring people for belonging to a different ethnicity than you. What "stake" do you have in it, since if it were legal and socially tolerated to enslave Japanese people, you still wouldn't be affected by it?

The moral argument is:

Premise 1: All human beings have rights
    Premise 2: Unborn babies are human beings
    Conclusion: Unborn babies have rights

Premise 1: It is morally wrong to violate the rights of human beings
    Conclusion: It is morally wrong to violate the rights of unborn babies

Even from a self-centered point of view, however, abortion is still problematic, although this argument is weaker somewhat. Being a live human being is the sole requirement to have human rights. If we believe that humanity alone isn't sufficient to have human rights, and that human beings can be denied rights due to other factors such as size, development, intelligence, popularity, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and so on, that opens a can of worms with potentially destructive consequences for humanity and likely you personally, eventually. Today, only born people have rights. Tomorrow, only net taxpayers have rights, or only healthy people, or only debt-free people.

3:33 - 7:05

21:03

This view is evidently becoming more and more obsolete in developed countries.
    Being pro-life is hardly going out of style. The younger generations are more pro-life than the older ones. The demographics of the movement is rapidly becoming younger and more politically and culturally diverse. If you aim to be on the right side of history, you should oppose abortion. If current trends hold, future generations will view us as barbarians for allowing abortion, in much the same way we view the ancients for engaging in slavery, infanticide, and human sacrifice.

Earlier this week, the Washington Post blog “The Fix” featured an article by Eugene Scott highlighting gains in pro-life sentiment among young adults. Scott cites a January 2017 Quinnipiac poll, which found that 18-to-34-year-olds were more likely than other age demographics to support a ban on abortions after 20 weeks’ gestation. This opposition to abortion among Millennials led Scott to conclude that, 45 years after the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, the “culture battle over abortion is not over.” He added that some of the pressure to end legal abortion “will come from Millennial voters.”

These gains in pro-life sentiment among young people are even more interesting than many realize. During the 1970s and early 1980s, there was a significant generation gap in abortion attitudes. The elderly were considerably more likely to oppose legalized abortion than were young people. In fact, these disparities caused some political analysts to doubt the long-term viability of the pro-life movement. But in fact, the current generation of young adults is far more skeptical about abortion than were their predecessors.

The Quinnipiac poll Scott cites is far from an outlier. Two separate polls taken in the summer of 2013 by National Journal and Rasmussen both showed that young adults were more likely than other age demographics to support a 20-week abortion ban. Similarly, recent polling has shown that young adults are more likely than other age demographics to support the Department of Justice investigation of Planned Parenthood. Furthermore, polls taken of New York residents by the Chiaroscuro Foundation found that adults under age 40 were more likely to support a range of incremental pro-life laws, including waiting periods and parental-involvement laws.

The most compelling evidence about the shift in abortion attitudes among Millennials, though, comes from the General Social Survey (GSS), which is released every two years and is widely used by public-opinion scholars. The GSS has asked the same six questions on abortion since the early 1970s. It asks whether abortion should be legal option if 1) the woman is raped, 2) there is a strong chance of a fetal defect, 3) the pregnancy poses a risk to the woman’s health, 4) the woman is low-income, 5) the woman is unmarried and does not want to marry the man, and 6) the woman is married and does not want more children.

During the 1970s and 1980s, young adults were more likely than other demographics to think abortion should be a legal option in each of these circumstances. Starting around 2000, though, there was a significant shift in the attitudes of young adults. The GSS surveys taken after 2000 consistently show that young adults are actually the age demographic most likely to oppose abortion as a legal option in nearly all of these circumstances.
    Despite recent setbacks, however, the demographic outlook for the pro-life movement looks anything but bleak. On issues from race to sexuality to drug law, Americans are used to seeing each new generation become more progressive than their parents; with abortion, it’s not happening: In a 2015 Public Religion Research Institute survey, 52 percent of millennials said the label “pro-life” describes them somewhat or very well, a number that roughly mirrors the general population. A 2013 poll showed that 52 percent of people aged 18 to 29 favored bans on abortion after 20 weeks, compared with 48 percent overall. Pro-choice activists now worry about the “intensity gap” among young people: A poll commissioned by NARAL Pro-Choice America in 2010 found that 51 percent of anti-abortion voters younger than 30 considered the issue “very important,” but for pro-choice voters the same age, only 26 percent said the same.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-young-people/

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I would rather say that concluding aborting a cluster of cells is murder is a case of 'reductio ad absurdum' demonstrating the falsehood of its premise.
    From an irreligious perspective, isn't every human being simply a cluster of cells or matter? Do you believe that when a cluster of cells forms a particular shape, it becomes "sacred" somehow? Do you believe a being composed of five cells lacks intrinsic value, but as soon as it becomes composed of six cells it magically gains intrinsic value? Is this really scientific?

The weakness in your argument is that this 'morality' seemingly comes from nowhere. The problem with having no foundation for this principle apart from "that's just how it is", is that you're not equiped to deal with unforeseen situations like the ones that medical science presents to ethics.
    All morality beliefs are ultimately religious beliefs. It's incoherent to ask for a non-religious basis for morality (or law, since all laws exist to promote good and minimize evil). That said, the pro-life movement has plenty of adherents on the secular side, whose pro-life views are based on humanism or human rights advocacy, feminism, racial justice, and similar non-religious ideologies. This is especially true for young people.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/cover_story/2016/10/the_future_of_the_pro_life_movement.html

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Prodromos; May 04, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    You're proceeding from the assumption that no one morally opposes harming other people, and that the only reason we advocate against it is for selfish/pragmatic reasons; namely, in order to minimize the chance of it happening to us in the future. I think that's a pretty baseless belief. You presumably oppose enslaving or massacring people for belonging to a different ethnicity than you. What "stake" do you have in it, since if it were legal and socially tolerated to enslave Japanese people, you still wouldn't be affected by it?

The moral argument is:

Premise 1: All human beings have rights
    Conclusion: Unborn babies have rights

Premise 1: It is morally wrong to violate the rights of human beings
    Conclusion: It is morally wrong to violate the rights of unborn babies
    This is not a moral argument, this is a logical argument using moral principles. In particular your premises and conclusion are invalid due to vagueness, and your premises are unsound.

Case in point argument #1 Premise 1 all human beings have rights, this is something you neither agree with nor support. Rights are not necessarily the issue here either because while we may say unborn babies have rights, whether that right trumps the mother's decision to abort it is the question. Secondly unborn babies are not necessarily human, assuming you didn't intend the vagueness of your statement to imply non-human creatures, the premise is also not sound because what is human is a egregiously complicated moral standpoint. In order to impress upon us that fetuses have rights you would need to impress upon us a methodology to determine the rights of any organism which I do not think your arguments are capable of.

Argument #2 you again do not believe it's morally wrong to violate the rights of humans, this is special pleading and you're attempting to take something for granted by distilling it into a grossly oversimplified concept. We violate human rights all the time in all sorts of ways. Since you have failed to demonstrate premise 2 to be sound you have utterly failed to create a valid argument and thus we dismiss the conclusion. I.E. you're argument fails rather terribly.

Even from a self-centered point of view, however, abortion is still problematic, although this argument is weaker somewhat. Being a live human being is the sole requirement to have human rights. If we believe that humanity alone isn't sufficient to have human rights, and that human beings can be denied rights due to other factors such as size, development, intelligence, popularity, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and so on, that opens a can of worms with potentially destructive consequences for humanity and likely you personally, eventually. Today, only born people have rights. Tomorrow, only net taxpayers have rights, or only healthy people, or only debt-free people.
    This is rather silly argument to make and ignores that the primary reason that abortion was legalized was the practice of robbing someone of their agency in pregnancy and the ethical considerations therein. This was a relatively easy argument to make. Your argument however is an appeal to a slippery slope which has no basis in reality, again it's a mistake to rely upon unsound arguments.

Being pro-life is hardly going out of style. The younger generations are more pro-life than the older ones. The demographics of the movement is rapidly becoming younger and more politically and culturally diverse. If you aim to be on the right side of history, you should oppose abortion. If current trends hold, future generations will view us as barbarians for allowing abortion, in much the same way we view the ancients for engaging in slavery, infanticide, and human sacrifice.
    This is false. The younger you are the more likely you are to view abortion through a pro-choice lens. Sorry this whole point is dismissed as BS.

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/p...n-on-abortion/

you took a poll about banning abortion after 5 months to intuit that millenials were more pro-life? There's so many things wrong with this jump. The conclusions drawn here are highly suspect. Get a better interpreter

From an irreligious perspective, isn't every human being simply a cluster of cells or matter? Do you believe that when a cluster of cells forms a particular shape, it becomes "sacred" somehow? Do you believe a being composed of five cells lacks intrinsic value, but as soon as it becomes composed of six cells it magically gains intrinsic value? Is this really scientific?
    Yes, every human being is a cluster of cells but that cluster of cells works in synergystic unity to produce behavior, cognition and potentiality which is its true value. I believe that complexity is definitely something which matters. We're not about to ban you from scrubbing your skin. There's clearly a departure between killing a small mass of cells and killing a person. Where that is, might be somewhat ambiguous but it's clearly well after conception for most people.

All morality beliefs are ultimately religious beliefs. It's incoherent to ask for a non-religious basis for morality (or law, since all laws exist to promote good and minimize evil). That said, the pro-life movement has plenty of adherents on the secular side, whose pro-life views are based on humanism or human rights advocacy, feminism, racial justice, and similar non-religious ideologies. This is especially true for young people.
    No it's not. Pro-life public religion research survey's results are obviously unreliable. this article relies upon a few case studies to try and convey a reality which simply doesn't exist.

Overall 1/10 on your argument.

Care to try again?

While I reject the pro choice argument about you shouldn't legislate morality, I support legal abortions.

Most pro choice do support legidlate morality on yhings they think are morally wrong. For example, very few pro choice people support the legalization of prostitution, so the are perfectly willing to tell women what they can or cannont do with their bodies. This makes them less honest and more of a hypocrite than their pro life opponents.

STILL, while a foetus has the potential for human life, it is not a human life in my view. And if prohibition taught us anything, there is no point in having a law that won't be obeyed. I don't some scared 14 year old dying because she went to some illegal abortion clinic. Even if abortion is morally wrong, the child shouldn't have to pay with her life for making a mistake. Women with money will have no problem flying to a country where abortion is legal.

However, our attitude toward abortion seems very similarinto ancients attitude toward infanticide. ,Romans did not think infanticide was wrong and was an acceptable means of birth control. How is abortion really different
    Last edited by Common Soldier; May 04, 2018 at 11:11 PM.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Iskar,

When God says that sin is part of conception where the conceived becomes a sinner then that is the point of no return and when He legislates, " Thou shalt not kill," then wilfull aborting becomes contradictory to the word of God. Is it murder? Pure and simple it is and is no different from killing a new born just after it is born. The baby inside the womb is no different from the one that makes an entrance into the world outside the womb. Because it is more or less unseen by anyone when inside the mother is not a reason to block out of the mind that the little thing is a living breathing human being.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    Secondly unborn babies are not necessarily human, assuming you didn't intend the vagueness of your statement to imply non-human creatures
    Unborn babies aren't human? Life is a continuous process, of which the zygote and fetus are like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    STILL, while a foetus has the potential for human life, it is not a human life in my view. And if prohibition taught us anything, there is no point in having a law that won't be obeyed. I don't some scared 14 year old dying because she went to some illegal abortion clinic. Even if abortion is morally wrong, the child shouldn't have to pay with her life for making a mistake. Women with money will have no problem flying to a country where abortion is legal
    If women feel pressured to get a legal abortion, that's a result of our failure as a society to make pregnant women feel suported. I don't feel that a career or an education is more important than preserving a life.

If that girl was messing around with her boyfriend or whatever, assuming she had sex education in school, she knew exactly what she was doing.

So if one country make abortion legal, everyone should? Also, I don't understand why the baby should have to pay for the mother's mistake with their life.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

basics would you care to provide supporting references for your statement:

When God says that sin is part of conception

---------------

If women feel pressured to get a legal abortion, that's a result of our failure as a society to make pregnant women feel suported. I don't feel that a career or an education is more important than preserving a life.
    Aexodus - typical - felt supported? How about actually supported and not penalized by the system - if said system is going to enforce a draconian interpretation of fertilized egg = a human being.

If that girl was messing around with her boyfriend or whatever,
    or whatever? What does that imply - how about women who were not voluntarily engaged in sex? I take it you fully support State mandated absolute DNA testing for all so that every father has to at least share financial responsibility for any messing around?

-------------

Common Soldier

Most pro choice do support legidlate morality on yhings they think are morally wrong. For example, very few pro choice people support the legalization of prostitution, so the are perfectly willing to tell women what they can or cannont do with their bodies. This makes them less honest and more of a hypocrite than their pro life opponents.
    I'd be interested if you sustain that with data.

However, our attitude toward abortion seems very similarinto ancients attitude toward infanticide. ,Romans did not think infanticide was wrong and was an acceptable means of birth control. How is abortion really different
    Actually Classical opinion: philosophical, medical, law (theological or state), and what actually happened was to mildly all over the map - not to mention the same for what an unborn child was, or when conception occurred. You are right the letter of classical Republican law did allow that fairly immediate infanticide was a decision that was the right of the Father (head of Household). But right or wrong or OK (morally) is much more difficult. For a recent very comprehensive overview of the Greco/Roman views on Contraception, Abortion and Infanticide across time, space and realm of authority (Formal Religion, Philosophy, Legal and an attempt at 'Public Opinion') I would recommend.

Eyben, Emiel. "FAMILY PLANNING IN GRAECO-ROMAN ANTIQUITY." Ancient Society 11/12 (1980): 5-82.
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/44080042.

The author is very comprehensive, and the list of citations covers almost all the various arguments of the various data available. A quick read will reveal that if you are selective you can point to the classical world for pretty much every current view point on abortion, contraception when life starts, whose compelling interests trumps whose rights and when etc. Its notable that that the Ancient near east, the OT and the range of Classical opinion tended to not view the fetus fully human at a (theoretical) point of conception but at birth or some tome shortly before. Opposition to Abortion by in large seems to have been driven by the inherent danger to the mother of the Ancient practice, that is death by poison or surgery.

---------------

Elfdude

Honestly from a medical perspective we rarely consider the baby in any level before the first 3 months. The frequency of genetic instability, placental detatchment, thyroid/hormal imbalance, diabetic complications, uterine abnormalities, cervical abortion, drug & alcohol & diet abortion, blood disorders and immunological dysfunctions means that honestly I would not be surprised if we were to do a very thorough conception study we'd find well over half or more "humans" are aborted due to natural causes.
    The number looks be closer to 70%

N. S. Macklon, J. P. M. Geraedts, B. C. J. M. Fauser; Conception to ongoing pregnancy: the ‘black box’ of early pregnancy loss, Human Reproduction Update, Volume 8, Issue 4, 1 July 2002, Pages 333–343, https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/8.4.333

Last edited by conon394; May 05, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Aexodus - typical - felt supported? How about actually supported and not penalized by the system - if said system is going to enforce a draconian interpretation of fertilized egg = a human being.
    How about supporting the mother's ability to raise her child. Or at least, leaving adoption open as an option.

If she violates the law, and commits abortion against her baby, I believe there should be consequences for that.

Interpreting that life begins at conception is not draconian.

or whatever? What does that imply - how about women who were not voluntarily engaged in sex?
    Rape accounts for a miniscule proportion of abortions, so making abortion legal on those rarified grounds is illogical.

When a woman has sex, she knows what she is doing, she knows how cause and effect works, and that she could get pregnant as a result of her actions. It's up to her who she chooses as a sexual partner.

I take it you fully support State mandated absolute DNA testing for all so that every father has to at least share financial responsibility for any messing around?
    That's what marriage is for.

The number looks be closer to 70%
    In the UK, 98% of abortions take place when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the baby (ground C)