Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval 2 (Vanilla) Byzantine AAR- The Restoration of the Empire

Icon1 Medieval 2 (Vanilla) Byzantine AAR- The Restoration of the Empire

Hi guys this is my first AAR so I hope you will like it. Now I already started my campaign some time back so I will just give a quick recap and start from the later turn at which I am right now. I hope you will like it. Do comment to give your view(s). I have edited the files a bit to make the game 1tpy instead of the original 1t2y
    For those of you who wish to know where I am getting the maps from, here's the link- Maps

Recap
    The beginning of Komnenian Restoration

It is year 1080 and the once mighty Byzantine a.k.a Eastern Roman Empire is in ruins. Southern Italy has been lost to the Normans under the leadership of Robert Guiscard while in the east the Byzantines have recently suffered a defeat and have lost much of Anatolia. Emperor Alexios I Comnenus has just ascended to the throne after overthrowing Emperor Nikephoros III Botaneiates. Alexios faces hard times and he know that. He has declared his brother Isaac Comnenus as his heir and now turns his attention to the matters at hand. In the west the empire has lost important cities like Bari in southern Italy to Robert Guiscard and Durazzo has been lost to a revolt. In the east the Turks have established the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum and and the only thing keeping them at bay from reaching Constantinople is the well fortified town of Nicaea. The Byzantines hold the castle of Nicosia but for how long? And in south the Venetians have control of Iraklion that threatens Corinth.

The Emperor sets out with a small force from Constantinople for Sofia to re-establish Danube as a frontier. The Emperor has called upon forces from Corinth to assist him while another army has set out from Thessalonica for Durazzo to crush the rebllion. Alexius' daughter Anna has been dispatched to negotiate with Hungarians an alliance to secure the Danube frontier and to keep the Venetians in check. The Emperor is a pious man and fears God's wrath and has therefore ordered construction of churches and appointment of priests in all regions. The east for the time being has been left to its own...

Looking to the east...

Its been 2 years since the ascension of Emperor Alexius, 2 years since the beginning of the western campaign. Durazzo and Sofia have fallen and the west has been secured through an alliance with the Hungarians. The east cannot be ignored for too long and so the Emperor now marches east. An army of byzantine spearmen, byzantine cavalry and archers now marches to Smyrna under the command of Isaac Comnenus. The Emperor remains at the Queen of Citites for administration.
    As was expected the Venetians show signs of aggression which worries the Emperor but little can be done since the resources are overstretched and the east requires immediate attention.
    News has just reached that Smyrna fell to Isaac and he now begins preparations for offensive against the Turks but first the strategically important island of Rhodes must be taken to counter Venetian influence in Eastern Mediterranean. A fleet has transported Isaac to Rhodes and Nicosia has dispatched reinforcements. Meanwhile in the west the Venetians have declared war upon us, the true Romans. Durazzo and Sofia lie under siege while the Venetian navy continues to disturb the flow of trade and troops in Eastern Mediterranean.
    Will the newly conquered castles of Durazzo and Sofia be enough to hold the Venetians at bay? Will the Hungarians come to the assistance of the Byzantines?
    Such are the questions that surround the emperor's mind. The Emperor hasn't lost hope yet. Even though war rages on two fronts, Alexius' clever economic reforms and plans have resulted in economic recovery. Every man marches to the new army gathering in the West to bring the rage of Byzantines over the Venetians.
    Isaac being a capable leader has taken Rhodes and now prepares for the Turkish campaign that will either see the reconquest of Anatolia or the fall of Byzantine Asia Minor.
    Last edited by Caesar16; June 09, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Medieval 2 (Vanilla) Byzantine AAR- The Restoration of the Empire

I look forward to your look at the characters from a Byzantium perspective in this new AAR. Good luck with that foray to restore a northern frontier. I gather there are hints about the west as well.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Great start for your first AAR. The Eastern Roman Empire has always been a favorite of mine and can be quite a challenge in the grand campaign, being surrounded by enemies. Though the superior quality of troops does help them alot. I'm eager to see how your story develops.

Keep it coming I say !

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar16 View Post
    Hi guys this is my first AAR so I hope you will like it. Now I already started my campaign some time back so I will just give a quick recap and start from the later turn at which I am right now. I hope you will like it. Do comment to give your view(s). I have edited the files a bit to make the game 1tpy instead of the original 1t2y
    Good first effort David, I will follow with interest
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Hi, Caesar16! Welcome to the Writers' Study!

This is an interesting start. I think the way you've asked questions about what might happen next is particularly effective. I'll look forward to learning the answers.

The Hurdles

Nothing is perfect. Not even a priest, an able general or a plan for there are always some unseen hurdles which bring to stop and force one to reconsider their plans.
    *Blakhernai palace at Constantinople*
    Sun rose in east as Alexios walked down the courtyard of the Blakhernai Palace, his residence. The sun made the palace look beautiful but Alexios was lost in his thoughts. Much had happened in the last three weeks. Durazzo had been successfully defended against a small Venetian force. The reports said that the Venetian Doge himself had led the Venetian army to Sofia but luckily the castle still belonged to the Romans. The Hungarians had arrived on time. The Emperor had thought of sending Anna to negotiate with the pope, clever as she was, but he had married her to a fine man- Romanus of Lazica.
    Today another big decision was to be taken. Even though he had announced Isaac as his heir he doubted if he had the qualities of an emperor. True, he was a great general but that's not everything. Perhaps he should be the commander-in-chief of the armies of East. His son John was an able man and as he looked up at the sun asking god whether John will be fit for a king, suddenly a green flash filled the sky, as if it was some kind of approval from god.
    *End*

So our beloved Emperor, the beacon of light Alexios I Comnenus has made John his heir. Rage takes over Isaac and he in anger refuses to lead the Turkish Campaign and instead leads the army to attack Iraklion. I cannot describe Isaac's rage in words but I can say that day no city, not even the Queen of Cities had he chosen to march onto it, could have stood before him. So as a result Iraklion fell, another territory for the Empire however Isaac died under mysterious circumstances with rumors spreading that Alexios had him assassinated. But I know our dearly beloved emperor well, he would never do it.
    Alexios assigns the command of the eastern army to Prince John. He sets out from Smyrna and reaches Iconium. The city has a decent garrison and a relief force marches to relieve the city. After a furious battle, at which I myself was present the city fell to our Prince. Next he marches onto Caesarea where the Sultan resides. With the defeat of his army the city is rather defenseless and falls to our brave Prince. The Prince has now dispatched a small force to capture Trebizond while he plans to take Adana. The Fatimids have reached Antioch and they must be halted there. News has come from the west that the Pope has called a crusade upon Cairo and both the Prince and Emperor know that not only the Fatimids but even the Byzantine cities are under danger from the Franks.
    The Roman forces have triumphed in the east but the west is a totally different matter. Can the byzantine forces counter the Italian forces? Or will another Manzikert be repeated but this time in the west?
    Last edited by Caesar16; May 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Ok so I appreciate everyone's views thanks for encouraging me keep reading and keep giving your views since they are important

The Western Campaign
    While the eastern command has triumphed against the Turks the west continues its struggle against the Republic of Venice. The Venetian armies are composed of Mailed Knights and Italian Spear Militia and therefore to cope with the Venetian Army Romanus, Anna’s husband will have to utilize all his experience. The Byzantines must effectively use their horse archers if they are to stand any chance against the Venetians for the Byzantine infantry is much inferior as compared to its Italian counterpart. Unlike in east where the Byzantines dominated the sea, the Venetians dominate the Adriatic and therefore the army must march through land routes.
    The Army which has gathered near Thessalonica begins its march. The plan is to cripple the Venetians at their home for Romanus has realized that the Venetian army is too strong and clash with it will only result in a defeat or a costly victory. The army is to reach Sofia, bypass Ragusa and Zagreb and directly strike Venice. Romanus knows the risks, with the fall of Venice the city would become isolated from rest of the Byzantine territory and may even come under attack from the forces of German ‘king’ and the city-state of Milan and the city will need reinforcements and a decent garrison to repel the attacks, something which the Empire cannot afford right now.
    The Venetians have dispatched a small invasion force towards Sofia and this army has come into contact with the Roman army. A fierce battle has begun. The Roman army is positioned on an uneven hill. Romanus dispatches his horse archers on the ridges while the archers are placed on another ridge. The enemy cannot reach uphill except from two narrow paths where the general has positioned his infantry. As the Venetian army is forced to begin its upward march it’s engulfed in an arrow storm. The Venetians charge through one narrow path, but the situation remains hopeless. Volleys after volleys are being rained down upon them from flanks, from rear and the byzantine infantry is hammering them at the front. It begins like a flood, the enemy turns its back and runs. The general dispatches horse archers to finish off the enemy general while he himself takes care of enemy infantry. The battle has ended well in Romanus’ favour.

The Roman army reaches Venice and after offering a little struggle the city falls to Romanus. Furthermore the Byzantine navy has triumphed over the Venetian navy and now the control of Adriatic rests in Byzantine hands. Romanus calls upon the navy to transport him to Ragusa, since the Venetian economy has been crippled. However something which the general didn’t expect happens. A well-equipped Milanese force attacks the Roman army. Romanus knows that the chances of victory against the Italian forces are minimal and so he withdraws and retreats into the city. The city now lies under siege against a superior force.

*Blakhernai Palace*
    Emperor Alexios sits in his study reading the reports. He knows the empire now faces crisis in the west. The army is trapped in Italy while the Venetian force roams freely through the Byzantine territory. Not only this, the German king has declared war upon them and their army is now ready to attack Venice. Even if Romanus manages to repulse the Milanese he would surely fall to the Germans. He thinks of his daughter Anna and tears roll down his cheeks. She would be widowed at such a young age. He had come to power full of spirit and enthusiasm but now there was nothing except hollowness. It was impossible, the empire will lose on the western front and will go into another period of Darkness. Suddenly he felt a terrible pain grow inside his body, he couldn’t speak and then peace took him over.
    Few days later
    The funeral was over and Irene mourned the death of her husband. The shining light of the world, the great Alexios had passed away. The growing pressures of the empire had taken its toll upon him. He was no more. She had dispatched a letter to John informing him of passing away of his father and the new responsibilities which lay on his shoulders. She feared that worst was to come.
    *End*

The west is in turmoil. The only army present is trapped in Italy and it’s unlikely to come back. War rages on three fronts in the west. Alexios has passed away and the new emperor is not present at Constantinople. Everyone waits like hungry wolves to see a sign of weakness in the new Emperor and grab the opportunity.
    Will the empire face a civil war? Will the army in Italy meet a disastrous fate? Will the Byzantines triumph in the west?
    Last edited by Caesar16; May 04, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good chapter! It sounds like both Romanus and the Byzantine empire are in real danger.

Your maps are done well, I like being able to see the movement of the armies. On my screen, the maps look very large (one map is larger than my screen, I need to scroll to see different parts of the map). Would it be worth reducing them in size? (I reduce the screenshots for my AAR).

Content Emeritus

Two great updates! It's good to see the Turks defeated and a strong Roman Empire in the east. Romanos' move was a bit ballsy and it looks like he will have to pay the ultimate price for it. The instabillity caused by the death of the Emperor is really a setback the Empire cannot afford.

I, like Alwyn, like your maps showing the geopolitical situation of the area and army movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! It sounds like both Romanus and the Byzantine empire are in real danger.

Your maps are done well, I like being able to see the movement of the armies. On my screen, the maps look very large (one map is larger than my screen, I need to scroll to see different parts of the map). Would it be worth reducing them in size? (I reduce the screenshots for my AAR).
    Thank you Alwyn, I am glad you liked my maps and my AAR. As for the size of the maps- The maps are perfectly fitting in my screen. I am sorry but I cannot change the resolution until a few more face this problem
    Keep reading and sharing your views

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Two great updates! It's good to see the Turks defeated and a strong Roman Empire in the east. Romanos' move was a bit ballsy and it looks like he will have to pay the ultimate price for it. The instabillity caused by the death of the Emperor is really a setback the Empire cannot afford.

I, like Alwyn, like your maps showing the geopolitical situation of the area and army movements.
    Thanks
    PS I hope everybody is aware that its still the recap going on

The Fronts

*Venice*
    Romanos stood on the walls as the cold winter breeze kissed his skin. It had been a year since the siege began or had it been two? He had been too focused upon making the battle plans that he didn’t have time to think of anything. The city walls had been encircled and the siege engines stood ready to vomit the Milanese onto the walls and into the city, only to suffer defeat at his hands! He had also been rethinking a new strategy to counter this new threat. Suddenly an arrow whizzed past his head and he realized the assault had begun. He looked up at the sky, hoping Alexios will send help.
    *End*

Romanos was successfully able to repulse the Milanese force with no major casualties. Filled with confidence and hoping to find the city rather defenceless due to the recent defeat he advances onto Milan. However he is soon intercepted by a Milanese force and withdraws. He had been isolated from rest of the Empire and had recently learned of Alexios’ death, the coronation of John, who was still in east. He knew that the west was without any leader. He had received a chrysobull from John which gave him temporary authority in the west until a new governor wasn’t appointed.
    Romanos has now devised a new strategy to counter these threats. The plan is to connect the isolated peace of territory with the Empire, sail around Italy and land at Genoa to relieve the city of Venice. A garrison composed of mercenaries and Byzantine militia was ready to defend the city. Furthermore he had appointed Isaac Comnenus, Alexios’ son as the exarchos of Venice. He was an able administrator and could hold the city.
    Romanos sails for Ragusa, and the city fails to resist a surprise attack and falls to Byzantine forces. The first part of his plan has been successful, the isolated piece of territory in Venice is now connected, furthermore the Venetian economy has been crippled and so the Venetian threat has been drastically reduced since the money needed for supplies and weapons is low and the only army present cannot be sent away on a risky campaign.

*Halls of Ragusa*
    The troops celebrate their victory and their escape from Italy. Romanos stands in a corner thinking of new strategies to counter the enemies in the west. Suddenly there was a loud thud as if a boulder had hit the walls. Silence spreads throughout the hall. Suddenly the doors had burst open.
    “I need to see the General!”
    Romanos rushes towards him and seeing his face he is filled with horror.
    “What’s wrong? Where do you come from?” asked Romanos.
    “I bring a message from general Prousenos”
    Romanos remembered Prousenos, he was an able commander, brave and handsome. The situation must be dire if he had sent for him.
    “Speak” Romanos ordered.
    “They have crossed the Adriatic, monsters clad in plates and with great swords and shields against whom our spears are useless!! They now besiege Durazzo and even now more of them continue to land. They descended upon the countryside like savages. Men, women and children have been butchered. I Prousenos am a loyal servant of the Emperor and now request you to send assistance. Fly!! Delay anymore and you will find my head on the castle walls.”
    Whispers begin to fill the hall.
    “Silence! We need not fear these barbarians!”
    The Normans had earlier invaded Greece under Robert where Romanos had lost his father. Now was the time for revenge
    “You” he pointed at the messenger “Take my message and let the countryside know this.”
    “We are sons of Rome! We need not fear these men. Now is the time for avenging deaths of your fathers, brothers, mothers and sisters!! Beat your ploughshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.”
    “Yes Sire” replied the messenger and left.
    He turned towards his men and the men knew what to do. Everyone hurried off to arm themselves. The general’s fury and his dominating spirit radiated from his eyes.
    *End*

The empire is in a precarious situation in the west. A new front has been opened up to the Byzantines and it seems an Italian coalition now wages war against Byzantines. Though Romanos has escaped he cannot fight on all fronts at once. Will Isaac be able to hold Venice long enough? Will the Byzantines face another humiliating defeat at the hands of Normans or will Romanos avenge his father?
    Last edited by Caesar16; May 21, 2018 at 02:35 PM.

It sounded like the Byzantine campaign against Venice was going well, but this coalition of enemies sounds like a serious threat. I look forward to finding out the answers to your questions.

Securing the Frontiers

The east was slowly gaining stability. Anatolia was almost in Byzantine grasp but the mighty empire faced new challenges. John lay on his bed in his camp thinking of all that he had to manage. His crown and purple robes seemed heavier than his helmet and his armor for now he had the burden of the whole empire upon his shoulders. He had faced his first challenge immediately after his accession. The small army dispatched to Trebizond had rebelled against the Empire. It had been a major setback for the Empire's campaign to subdue Anatolia. He had received the reports of the campaign in the west and the war against the Italian Coalition. He had dispatched his son and heir, Asempoulos to Constantinople, which had been without a governor for long time. He would take care of the affairs of the west. He himself with his army now marched onto Adana. Reports had informed him that the Fatimids had turned their attention towards Edessa and this had bought the Byzantines some time to establish a new front to halt the Muslim armies from spilling into Anatolia.
    One week later
    The Byzantine army now stood at the gates of Adana. The city had been surrounded and the men now prepared the various equipment and machines for the siege. There were ladders and siege towers to pour the Byzantine soldiers on the city walls. Then there were rams to break open the gates for the Byzantine forces to enter. All men, both outside and inside the walls prepared for the incoming onslaught. The defenders manned the towers and had an almost endless supply of arrows and boulders to try and stop the besiegers. John knew that there was no way these barbarians could have acquired weapons in such quantity without external help. A tension brewed between the Byzantines and the Fatimids.
    The city soon fell to John after a fierce battle where he himself with his loyal guards killed many a men and fought like a lion. The enemy forces were butchered like sheep.

The victory established the Byzantine frontier against Fatimids and John ordered fortification of Adana and construction of churches in Anatolia continuing his fathers' legacy of devotion to god.
    Following this victory he set about the task to review the state of Byzantine armies. The cavalry forces composed of Vardariotai are formidable and could easily take care of the Western knights through their clever tactics. However, the infantry composed of spear men was not reliable. Therefore the Emperor ordered the modernization of army. In accordance with his orders the number of spear-men is to be reduced to half and in their place the dismounted lancers are to be added into the armies of Romanos and John, the two main commanders of west and east respectively. Furthermore to counter the Italian coalition and relieve Romanos the Emperor has ordered raising of second army in the west. To deal with traitors and take whole of Anatolia another small force has been dispatched.
    John now plans a grand campaign against the Fatimids to reclaim the old territories of the Empire.

Will the Fatimids launch invasion of Byzantium before the Emperor can modernize the army and invade? Will the new army dispatched to Trebizond retain its loyalty or will it rebel against the young emperor?
    Last edited by Tango12345; July 22, 2018 at 01:01 PM.

The assault on Adana sounds (and looks) like an epic confrontation - and it sounds like it will lead to a further confrontation, because of the outside help which the defenders received. It sounds like the reform of the Byzantine armies will be an important development, I wonder if this will be done in time to make a difference in the war against the Fatimids.

Content Emeritus

I agree with Alwyn the battle for Adana sounds like an epic struggle. The picture is marvelous and adds a certain atmosphere to an otherwise normal battle against a rebel hold city. I have always found vanilla Med 2 to be too much lacking to create a nice AAR in it but you good sir have succeeded in this. I'm intrigued to see how the war against the Fatimids is going to go as well as the continuing struggle against the Italians with their superior spearmen. (I always hated that about the Italian faction, their strong militia tier spearmen)

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The assault on Adana sounds (and looks) like an epic confrontation - and it sounds like it will lead to a further confrontation, because of the outside help which the defenders received. It sounds like the reform of the Byzantine armies will be an important development, I wonder if this will be done in time to make a difference in the war against the Fatimids.
    I am glad you liked it . True,no one assists the enemies of the Empire. Hopefully the smiths and trainers in Sofia and Corinth (the two fortresses of the Empire) will work hard and fast to provide quality weapons and soldiers on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    I agree with Alwyn the battle for Adana sounds like an epic struggle. The picture is marvelous and adds a certain atmosphere to an otherwise normal battle against a rebel hold city. I have always found vanilla Med 2 to be too much lacking to create a nice AAR in it but you good sir have succeeded in this. I'm intrigued to see how the war against the Fatimids is going to go as well as the continuing struggle against the Italians with their superior spearmen. (I always hated that about the Italian faction, their strong militia tier spearmen)

Keep it coming!
    The battle for Adana represented some of the last free people of Anatolia so I had to make it epic. However sit tight for its the Siege of Trebizond that will show the last battle for Anatolia. Glad you liked the image. Yeah Vanilla 2 is rather dry as compared to the mods. Then again, that's the case with all total war games. Yeah me too! I hate those spear militias of Italy. The empire needs such men.
    Also I recently started reading your AAR and its really engaging. I hadn't noticed it that it had been written by you...until today. I didn't know you had such a good writing talent
    Last edited by Caesar16; May 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Nice campaign. I wonder how fast your expansion was and if you had any religious turmoil in the former Ottoman regions. Also, I can visualise the hard, blood filled road Byzantium needs to take until the restoration of the ROMAN Empire. Well done!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast