Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medieval 2 (Vanilla) Byzantine AAR- The Restoration of the Empire

Default Re: Medieval 2 (Vanilla) Byzantine AAR- The Restoration of the Empire

Crisis in the East
    *Nicaea*

The city of Nicaea is located near the city of Constantinople and has always acted as the gateway to the Queen of Cities from the east. The city is heavily fortified with one side surrounded by lake.

An able local leader, Manuel, had for a long time governed the city and the city had prospered, becoming one of the richest in the Empire. The port of Nicaea along with the port of Constantinople served as a link between Mediterranean and the Black sea. Thanks to effective administration the city had a booming population. However, the city couldn’t sustain such a huge population without expansion which would take time. All had been going well until a few days back.

Manuel had fallen ill and had passed onto the next world. The city had been prospering due to him but now faced a crisis. With no leader, the ambitious and greedy men had begun competing for power. Each of them had thugs owning various streets forcing the local people to pay taxes to them. Two men- Demetrios and Peter had emerged as the most influential among them. The city was divided between the administrations of these two. The growing tensions between the two soon erupted into violence as each fought for dominance of the city. The small garrison of the city was overstretched and many died in the ensuing conflict. The city was on fire.

*Constantinople*

When Asempoulos had been dispatched to Constantinople for governance of the Empire he had revived the court of Constantiople. The nobles commanded profound influence over the matters of the Empire. Today the court had been called to address the crisis in the east. Asempoulos walked towards the throne room where the court was present. Nobles talked among themselves, discussing their own matters.

Asempoulos sat on the throne and the assembly began. Asempoulos began by addressing the Nobles “You all know why you have been summoned to this special meeting. The riots in Nicaea have gone out of control of our garrison and the city burns even now. As you all know, Manuel, the leader of Nicaea who, by my wish, governed the city has passed away. As if this wasn’t enough, the reports suggest that most of the cities and towns in the east face a crisis. There is no governor in east in any of the cities and a strong action must be taken to solve this crisis. If the east rebels, then my father, our emperor will be isolated and without supplies making an easy target for Fatimids should they attack. Furthermore if my fathers’ army falls the east will be defenceless and surely the Fatimids will storm through Anatolia.” He looked at the nobles before continuing “We need to take quick action for we cannot allow this crisis to grow further.”

As soon as he had finished a noble stood to speak “I have a new report. Looks like your father, and our Emperor didn’t consolidate his gains before advancing. Religious turmoil has engulfed the east. Not to mention that due to lack of attention the east has become more or less autonomous. The priests appointed by you and your father have joined a new cult and continue to spread heresy. If we cannot solve the crisis soon then I fear that cult may become too powerful to be contained.” He finished

A second noble stood up to speak and looked towards Asempoulos for the permission. Asempoulos motioned for him to speak. He began “The Emperor is the representative of god and a source of supreme authority and it’s our duty to serve him. I am worried about the state of affairs in the Empire. While the west has so many able men governing it the east has no one. I would suggest transferring some governors from west to east.” After finishing Asempoulos motioned for another Noble to speak.

“I fear that this crisis has gone out of hand and transferring governors will be of no use. We need to take an immediate action. The riots in Nicaea are encouraging other Anatolian cities to seek independence. I would suggest garrisoning those cities loyal to us and recalling the Emperor’s army to restore order. If it’s the riots in Nicaea that have encouraged them then let us set an example for other towns so as to what happens when you challenge the authority of the Emperor. Also…” he was interrupted before he could finish.

“What?!! Recall the army from the field and leave our frontier undefended? Have you even considered what would happen if we do this? And as for setting an example, are you suggesting we raze one of the richest cities in the Empire? I would suggest appointing new priests to take care of religious turmoil and starting some great construction projects in the east.” As soon he had finished the court was in turmoil with everyone shouting their opinions.

“Enough!” Asempoulos shouted “Let us act like civilized men and not turn this court into a barbaric one.” He looked at each of them and at his supporters before continuing “I have been thinking of all your propositions and have reached a conclusion. I shall recognize the authority of one of the two contenders over Nicaea, and he shall govern the city in my name. As for the other he shall be executed on my orders. Construction projects are to be undertaken in the east and the garrison will be increased in all cities. If the situation worsens any further I shall impose martial law. This meeting is now adjourned.” After saying this he left the throne room leaving everyone standing there awestruck.

*Corsica*

Norman scouts looked at the shores of Corsica as a huge army made a landing and prepared their camp. The army was almost 20,000 men strong. They all looked at each other with fear in their eyes and rode fast towards the castle of Cagliari to give warning of the approaching invasion.

*Roman Camp*
    The landing had been successful with no big troubles. The mercenaries enlisted by Tryfillios hadn’t given much trouble and had been dispatched to blockade the port of Cagliari. As for Cagliari, the spies had reported that the city had a small garrison which would fall easily. Romanos read a letter from Emperor John according to which the Emperor had received the new troops and had begun his march on Antioch. War had begun in the east against the Fatimid Caliphate.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    So now, a new front has been opened up to the Byzantines. Emperor John leads the only army present in the east and should the army suffer a defeat or heavy casualties, the east will surely collapse. This campaign will require a master strategy or else all will be lost. Will Emperor John be able to manage this campaign? Will the steps taken by Asempoulos be effective in stabilising the east or will the east declare its independence from Byzantines and leave Emperor John isolated?

West

East

P.S. Hi guys, I won’t be able to update my AAR for some time due to exams. The estimated date for next update is somewhere between 10-15 July since I will be busy with exams. Also I won’t be able to comment on those awesome AARs of yours for the same reason. I will try to catch up when I my exams are over.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Tango12345; July 22, 2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: copyrighted images removed
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR

Another good update Caesar. I especially liked that opening picture! Your ability to find appropriate artwork is adding a nice flavor to this.

One question about the final map. That pink area labeled as "Autonomous Regions of the Empire", that is still your land, right? It is just without governors and in a state of potential secession/revolt? I just want to be sure that I understand it all correctly.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Like Kilo11, I very much liked the way you handled the siege at Palermo. The fear, the starvation, the desperation of the defenders to save themselves by betraying their king. Still it must be said for King Simon that he and his retinue were brave men, fighting to the bitter end against all odds.

Like Alwyn I look forward to the seaward journey especially with the mercenaries. Mercenaries are known to be untrustworthy fellows and I wonder if Tryfillios did good in enlisting them.

In the end another chapter well done!
    I am sorry I forgot to reply... Glad you liked the siege. Indeed Simon was a brave men descended from Guiscard and went down like a true Norman. Do read the next part "Crisis in the East and give your view(s).
    I really, really dig those maps! They give a good idea who owns what and with your use of arrows you also give us an idea of the army (or navy) movements. And I like your writing and description of the siege! Definitely waiting for more!
    Thanks for your comment Silentkilller. The siege was a good idea I guess
    PS The new update here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Another good update Caesar. I especially liked that opening picture! Your ability to find appropriate artwork is adding a nice flavor to this.

One question about the final map. That pink area labeled as "Autonomous Regions of the Empire", that is still your land, right? It is just without governors and in a state of potential secession/revolt? I just want to be sure that I understand it all correctly.
    Thanks! Finding perfect pictures is a really hard work and I am glad that it's paying off! Yes you have understood it correctly.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A nice dynamic you have implemented for the autonomous regions of the empire. It makes for a more realistic political view of the empire. A war on two fronts so far apart is indeed a risky move especially with the uncertain situation in Anatolia.

A good chapter again, as per usual.
    Good luck on your exams!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This does sound like a crisis situation, it sounds like the Emperor's choice of strategy will be hugely important. Good luck in your exams!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    A nice dynamic you have implemented for the autonomous regions of the empire. It makes for a more realistic political view of the empire. A war on two fronts so far apart is indeed a risky move especially with the uncertain situation in Anatolia.

A good chapter again, as per usual.
    Good luck on your exams!
    Thank you for your comment. Indeed a war on two fronts is no easy task and that too when we consider that the Empire has 3 fronts which leaves one front unprotected and another in unstable condition. Let's hope for the best.

This does sound like a crisis situation, it sounds like the Emperor's choice of strategy will be hugely important. Good luck in your exams!
    The empire is facing the greatest crisis since 1071 AD. Let's hope the Emperor won't suffer the same fate as Romanos IV did at Manzikert. Thanks

A long time since a new update. This AAR is not dead. It's just that I have been too busy to write or even login. Will try to update this month.

Fall of Cagliari
    dg
    The fortress of Cagliari is surrounded by two swamps in the southern part of Sardinia just 20 miles north from the sea with high mountains located nearby. The Byzantine army was in sight as a few hundred men that the fortress could muster held spears and shields and stood on the walls waiting for the coming onslaught. The local general inspected the castle walls and towers with his retinue and the few towers that could be manned were manned. The army on the offensive carried many a ladders within its endless ranks ready to scale the crumbling castle.

The fortress was in a pathetic condition due to years of neglect. Various parts of walls and towers crumbled and green algae continued to swallow the walls. It was a beautiful evening with sun setting in the west, casting red light upon the fortress. Both Tryfillios were mesmerized by the beautiful sunset and the various shades of pink, orange, purple and green glowing in the sky. The army marched towards the fortress, ready to assault immediately as their shining breastplates reflected the beautiful sunset back to the heavens.

“A fine sunset” Tryfillios said

“A fine sunset indeed” Romanos replied who was lost in his own thoughts.

Tryfillios noticed the tension on Romanos’ face and asked “Any report from the spies in the North?”

“Yes, the reports have come carrying a disheartening message. The Normans have secured and fortified the African coast against any invasion and are prepared to meet us” Romanos answered

“That is if we are able to cross the sea against the strong Sicilian navy patrolling the waters” Tryfillios said

In a few minutes horns were sounded and the infantry began their march on the castle walls. The defenders fired bolts from the towers but upon seeing the enemy marching towards them like endless waves of the ocean they withdrew from the walls. The walls were taken without any struggle and Tryfillios and Romanos along with their personal bodyguards entered the fortress. With the day coming to end envoys were dispatched to the commander of Cagliari demanding surrender. The enemy seeing no chance accepted the proposal but a few who had disagreed with the proposal charged into the Byzantine ranks and a struggle ensued. One man charged towards Tryfillios and Tryfillios took out his sword and severed the limb of the man with one blow. He then, like a tower of strength drove through the barbarian ranks along with retinue and the enemy fled. Thus the fortress was occupied without much bloodshed. The old walls and towers were brought down and construction began to convert it into a city (for it was located on a major trade route and a city would allow bigger docks).

*Naples, Italy*
    Petros looked at the beautiful sunset in the west from the walls of the city. He had never seen such a beautiful sunset ever in his life. Suddenly he felt as if somebody was staring at him. He turned back only to see no one. He smiled and continued to stare at the beautiful sunset and a shadow quickly passed from beneath the walls escaping his notice.

That last paragraph of Petros looking of into the sunset was especially creepy.
    Looks like the empire has stabilised much from from those days of the early chapters.
    Good updates.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Nice update Caesar16, and it's good to see you back around after your absence for exams (hope all went well with those, by the way ).

One point I noticed: I love good descriptions and an eye towards the imagery of what's happening and not just what's happening, and so I was happy to see some attention to the setting and scenery of this update. However, each time you talked about the sunset you just said it was "beautiful", without giving any more idea of how or why, and you repeated the phrase "beautiful sunset" a lot. Maybe try some more varied expressions to get at these same scenes, just to break up the sound of it all, and add a bit more of the feel of each sunset. Just as an idea, if there is a red sunset, it makes a big difference if you describe it as, for example, "The fiery orb sank beneath the horizon." or "The blood-red disc drifted away". One sounds more active and positive, the other very macabre and menacing. Just something to think about.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Welcome back Caesar16! A good update. Like mad orc said, the end with Petros gives me the chills. Intigued to see how it will develop. I agree with Kilo11, using the same words too often can make your text go a bit stale, so best avoid that. Of course if english isn't your first language or even second it can be quite difficult to find synonyms for some words.

Keep those chapter coming!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; August 26, 2018 at 05:30 AM.

Am coming back to say, that you can rename provinces in Vanilla Med2, so why not go crazy and change Italian, Islamic and Germanic names back to Latin ones eh?
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nice update, and nice to see you back in action. Hope your exams went well! I have a special place in hell reserved for those god damned exams...so rest assured I feel your pain. It seems that the Byzantine Empire is unstoppable at this point, continuing to steamroll over its enemies. Will someone be able to stop them?

Ending with a cliffhanger. Me likey.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

I'm enjoying your story too. I like your description of the crumbling, neglected fortress - this helps to explain how the attackers took it relatively easy.

I also agree with Kilo11's suggestion about repeating words. I've made the same mistake in an AAR (even though English is my first language), so I know it's easy to repeat the same word without noticing. While I think it's okay to repeat words more in speech (such as the agreement about the 'fine sunset'), as people do that, it's usually good to avoid it in description, if possible.

The shadow, which Petros almost noticed but missed, is intriguing, I wonder if there's a spy or assassin around.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 28, 2018 at 03:57 AM.

I know I haven't updated since a long time and not even read the AARs by you all but I am being tortured in school by continuous series of exams (Just finished off with another series duh). So I am sorry for being so disrespectuful (I should've replied to your comments and commented on your AARs)
    Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    That last paragraph of Petros looking of into the sunset was especially creepy.
    Looks like the empire has stabilised much from from those days of the early chapters.
    Good updates.
    Yeah I was reading Dan Brown before that so I guess that's where the creepy part came in from
    Indeed thanks to the Komnenoi the Empire is much more stable than before and may just restore itself successfully...No one can defeat the Romans the now, I mean what are the chances of an invasion like that of huns from the east?
    Glad you liked the updates

Am coming back to say, that you can rename provinces in Vanilla Med2, so why not go crazy and change Italian, Islamic and Germanic names back to Latin ones eh?
    I never though of that :O I will surely do that! Or maybe I could rename them to signify great victories and triumphs of generals! Thanks a lot!

Nice update Caesar16, and it's good to see you back around after your absence for exams (hope all went well with those, by the way ).

One point I noticed: I love good descriptions and an eye towards the imagery of what's happening and not just what's happening, and so I was happy to see some attention to the setting and scenery of this update. However, each time you talked about the sunset you just said it was "beautiful", without giving any more idea of how or why, and you repeated the phrase "beautiful sunset" a lot. Maybe try some more varied expressions to get at these same scenes, just to break up the sound of it all, and add a bit more of the feel of each sunset. Just as an idea, if there is a red sunset, it makes a big difference if you describe it as, for example, "The fiery orb sank beneath the horizon." or "The blood-red disc drifted away". One sounds more active and positive, the other very macabre and menacing. Just something to think about.
    Nice to see you too! its been a long time! Yeah my exams went well
    Yeah I am trying to do set up the scenery and all that and am glad you are liking it. As for the sunset I had already described it in the earlier scene when the Byzantines were marching onto Cagliari but I guess I should've used different expressions and will surely remember it in future. Thanks for the advice

Welcome back Caesar16! A good update. Like mad orc said, the end with Petros gives me the chills. Intigued to see how it will develop. I agree with Kilo11, using the same words too often can make your text go a bit stale, so best avoid that. Of course if english isn't your first language or even second it can be quite difficult to find synonyms for some words.

Keep those chapter coming!
    Hey its been a long time! The Petros scene gave me chills as well while typing it
    I will surely remember to use different words from next time.

Nice update, and nice to see you back in action. Hope your exams went well! I have a special place in hell reserved for those god damned exams...so rest assured I feel your pain. It seems that the Byzantine Empire is unstoppable at this point, continuing to steamroll over its enemies. Will someone be able to stop them?

Ending with a cliffhanger. Me likey.
    Glad you liked the update! Your own AAR inspired me a bit as well and yeah my exams went well or so I think
    As for the Empire, yes it has got brilliant generals and strong leaders and is unstoppable for the time being. Yet who knows, there is always some 'invasion' waiting to happen especially from the east and that might just stop em.

I'm enjoying your story too. I like your description of the crumbling, neglected fortress - this helps to explain how the attackers took it relatively easy.

I also agree with Kilo11's suggestion about repeating words. I've made the same mistake in an AAR (even though English is my first language), so I know it's easy to repeat the same word without noticing. While I think it's okay to repeat words more in speech (such as the agreement about the 'fine sunset'), as people do that, it's usually good to avoid it in description, if possible.

The shadow, which Petros almost noticed but missed, is intriguing, I wonder if there's a spy or assassin around.
    Indeed the Normans had been neglecting the city for years and paid the price however the new Norman king may pose a threat to Byzantines.
    Looks like I made a big mistake by repeating words and will surely remember to not to do that in future. As for the shadow yeah looks like somethings brewing up!

Conspiracies and Campaigns

*Naples, Italy*
    A heavy silence hung in the air as the moon cast a pale light on the streets of Naples. Torches were lit along the walls casting a dim orange light on the nearby buildings. A few guards manned the walls and gates and a cold breeze blew across the city. The night gave an eerie feeling, so mysterious, silent and cold was the night that it sent chills up the spine. The only noise that could be heard was the rustling of the leaves.

Suddenly a few shadows passed the streets, unnoticed by the guards present in the streets. A door quickly opened allowing orange light to fall upon the street before it closed.

“How goes the plan?” a man standing near the fireplace asked

“Extremely well, we have bribed a few guards of the palace and prepared an escape route.” Another man sitting on a chair replied.

“How long before we can execute it?” the man near the fireplace asked him

“Ask her” he said pointing towards a hooded figure standing in the shadows “She’s the one who has to do the job.”

“Why won’t she show herself?” another man sipping some tea asked

“Yeah I would like to see who she is. For all we know, she could be a spy” another scarred man sitting in candlelight said

“If I revealed my face then it would be the last thing you all will see before joining my list of victims” the hooded figure said calmly

“Empty words don’t scare me lady. I have seen many like you in my life” the man sitting in candlelight said

Suddenly a dagger flew like a bolt of lightning from her cloaks reflecting the orange glow of the fire and went right through the man’s hand. “Next time it will be your head” she said calmly and continued “As for your job, it will be done by tomorrow midnight”. She opened the gate and left the house and the men were left gaping at each other.

*Syria*
    Emperor John and his army marched in a disciplined formation towards the city of Antioch. The sun scorched the earth and provided no relief to the soldiers. As far as they could see there was nothing but endless land. He had dispatched the scouts ahead to look for the great city and also for a source of water. He knew that there was a river on the way to Antioch but it was nowhere in sight. They had been marching for 5 days without any sign of the enemy or the city. It was as if both had vanished into thin air. He had expected a great force standing ready to meet him in battle but now it seemed as if the Fatimids had been caught by surprise.

He opened his water skin to drink some water when suddenly he saw some sand rising at the horizon.
    He wasn’t the only one who had seen it. His able commanders quickly disciplined the men and horns were sounded throughout the ranks and the army halted. Silence fell across the army as they awaited the arrival of the few horsemen which could be seen on the horizon.

The scouts galloped at full speed and the soldiers moved aside to give space to them.

They drove through the Byzantine ranks but before they could reach the emperor his bodyguards stopped them. They were allowed to pass once they had been checked and their weapons taken.

“What is it?” John asked

“We have scouted the area, the Fatimid forces are regrouping near Antioch. The Emirs of Aleppo and Damascus have already dispatched assistance. The city has a decent garrison with a few thousand men.” One of the scout answered

“And what of the source of water?” John questioned

“We have found the river which leads to the city. It’s 20 miles north and is unguarded.” Another scout replied

“Very well we shall make for the river and then hurry towards the city before the enemy can regroup. We must remain on our guard now, just in case we catch one of the enemy forces.” John ordered

Why would they leave the river crossing unprotected? They are no fools John thought but didn’t tell his feelings to others. An emperor had to look confident and doubting his own choice and the fear that it was a trap which the Emperor was leading them to would demoralize the army and may even lead to division of opinions and the majority he knew would surely not like to march into what maybe a trap and that would hinder the progress of the campaign.

So now John marches onto Antioch and something mysterious is happening at Naples. Who are the secretive men and what are their objectives? What job is the hooded figure about to do? Will she succeed? And will John be able to take Antioch before the enemy regroups?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I would like to thank Swaeft for inspiring me to use pics from Med 2 itself as screenies for the AAR and also thanks to Kilo11, Turkfaniwe and Alwyn for providing constructive criticism to not use same words again. Thank you guys!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hey, welcome back! It's good to see (your writing, not you) you again!

Jokes aside, no need to apologize. We all have RL issues to deal with and sometimes they ambush us like that lady in your story. It helps to take extended breaks too, refreshes the mind and all that. Speaking of the lady, she reminds me of Sapphira from my old Sicily AAR, that's great!

Your descriptions seemed to have improved markedly, there is a noticeable change in the atmosphere that you are conveying. Still a ways to go, but the synonyms and idioms are a nice touch. I particularly like the picture of the general staring across the sands.

Just a few pointers: You have some minor formatting to do, adding full-stops, particularly towards the later half of your chapter and spaces between some lines and the photos would be good. Also, consider dabbling a little in photo editing. Don't get me wrong, the photos look fine on their own, but if you want them to look great with just 3mins of editing, all you gotta do is increase the contrast and saturation levels (slightly, so it's realistic and not some Skyrim ENB haha) as the medieval 2 engine leaves a lot to be desired.

Great to have you back! +rep

Edit: Oh, no need to thank me for the idea of using in game photos for the AAR, that idea is not mine and is old as time, I just prefer to take it all the way and use the in game images almost exclusively. Thanks for the acknowledgement, though! Warms the heart

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

This is well done (and you're welcome!) . You use a few words very effectively to give us the sights and sounds of the opening scene, and the way that you use the scene to introduce the mysterious figure. Your screenshots illustrate your story well and, through John's reaction, you've got me interested in why the enemy didn't line up to hold the obvious defensive position.

Content Emeritus

Glad to see you return Caesar, I hope your exams went well! Don't mention it, we are all here to help each other improve.

It's a good update and like Swaeft said your descriptions have improved and the screenshots are good but can always be improved with a little tweaking.
    Good to see both fronts get their respective "screentime" in this update. That way we we know what is going on in the different parts of the Empire. Intrigued to see what happens next concerning the mysterious lady in Napoli and our good friend Emperor John and his war in the east.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123