Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RC 2.0 Ultimate Updates and Changes

Default Re: RC 2.0 Ultimate Updates and Changes

from Henry V's time :

On campaign, arrows were bulk-packed in barrels and transported in wagons. Longbowmen might be issued with three sheaves of 24 arrows each to carry into combat, and during a long battle runners would be sent to bring more arrows from the wagons.
    from here : http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201..._fighting.html

Note this was the English longbowmen on royal campaigns.
    Baronial armies would have had fewer, as would local militia archers.
    Peasant archers wouldn't have been supplied by Royal Armouries either, probably had to supply their own so should have correspondingly even fewer arrows.

On that basis you could allow 72 arrows for English Royal longbowmen ; 48 arrows for local baronial and town militia archers and perhaps 24 for peasant archers.

On the basis of what, slate.com?

Not to mention that the further text has total numbers that go on both sides, as Henry purchased 150 000 arrows in 1418 for his 6000(approx ofc) archers, meaning 25ish arrows per archer, in total, whereas the 1421 goes up 500 000 arrows, with a similar amount of archers, meaning 80ish arrows per archer, in total, for the campaign(not just one battle).

Then it includes a spread of 566 000 arrows for 11 000 bows in the royal armory, going for 50ish arrows per bow, in total, in the entire arsenal.

So which is it and which would be more common?

Should it be brought to the middle ground around 45ish?

I will update the ammo loads for archers based on this thread.

Am also updating and significantly reducing the costs imposed by the BGRIV mod. I find it opaque and it makes it almost impossible to plan your economy; for example when you take on a new general/family member he gets an estate costing you about 6000 I think it is. That is a huge cost, I would rather buy 20-30 units.

Will try to include a 2 TPY option.

Have permission to implement aspects of the Magyar mod. Also want to put Georgia into the free faction slot, add a bunch of new units and do a 1370 campaign, but these changes will have to wait for a future update because they are a lot of work.

Also planning in the future to do mini-campaigns of the Hundred Years War, Italian Wars of the 15th and 16th century and Spanish Reconquista.
    Last edited by Point Blank; June 16, 2018 at 02:28 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Am also updating and significantly reducing the costs imposed by the BGRIV mod. I find it opaque and it makes it almost impossible to plan your economy; for example when you take on a new general/family member he gets an estate costing you about 6000 I think it is. That is a huge cost, I would rather buy 20-30 units
    I thing Byg had a reason for this, and it was his vision of how the campaign should look like, namely: much fewer units. A stack 20-30 unit would have been an enormous army in his scheme (and utterly unlikely in the BGR_V). Actually, almost all of his changes were directed toward lowering the number of units. Eg. an additional mechanism was PTF-system - it effectively lowered the number of recruitable units by limiting the regeneration of the recruitment pools only to 3 settlements.

So my question is: why do you, PB, bother at all with the BGR? To my mind in your scheme it should be completely disabled - no additional costs, no pool-regeneration restrictions etc.

JoC

Most pf the aspects I really like; after all I had a major hand in designing the pool restriction system and the additional unit costs etc. As I said, it is the opaque aspects I am not crazy about. For example, you might have the reasonable expectation of receiving a certain income next turn, but when it comes around, instead you find you in fact *owe* 2000. And it is pretty much impossible to find where the money went. That is completely unrealistic. Medieval kingdoms were not run like that.
    Also, when the game begins, it takes you around 20 turns to start making any kind of positive income, while the AI is comfortably building up its forces.
    I am not going to overhaul the entire system, just tone down some aspects of it.

If people don't want to use it, it is still a selectable option before the campaign begins.
    Last edited by Point Blank; June 16, 2018 at 04:53 AM.

I don't think the un-foreseeable budget problem in the BGR comes from this source. It's rather the generals' estates that incur surprising costs - and during certain situations scutage income, and also the crusade tax, and perhaps various surprises - that make all budgetary projections impossible. I actually think that new members mechanics is pretty straightforward and foreseeable for the player as compared to the other mechanisms. On the other hand, tracking the bankrupting nobles (and keeping them in rich cities) or too-rich nobles I recall as a nightmare of the BGR. My way of dealing with the budget in the BGR was just to assume I need to have a 3k surplus and if I'd see it falling, I'd save more. (and I think it's realistic for the medieval kingdoms - the kings were really unsure how much taxes and other income they can gather. The knowledge then was really limited.

I also liked the pool restriction system but it's always been for me a way to deal with the possible stack-spam by the player. I think some other solutions are perfectly possible, starting with simple lowering the pool-refill rates (as it's done in the SSHIP and the Titanium). Then the additional unit costs - again, I'm all in for the idea, but why not to simply include it in the units' upfront costs? (again, both the SSHIP and the Titanium have done it, with a good result, to my mind).
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 18, 2018 at 02:39 AM.

Sounds good, will do.
    Agree on the estates and nobles, they were my primary target.

Sounds good, will do.
    Agree on the estates and nobles, they were my primary target.
    PB, but why your're preoccupied with the part of the game you're barely interested? You'd unbalance the balance. Some of the hard-lovers of the SS love also BGR, maybe they want to keep theses options? If they don't they simply opt-out from the BGR...
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

What givess you that iimpression? I use itt every time and helped design it. Iff anyone wants the original veesiiionthey will sstill have the files.

Hi PB,

After using BGR for a while I've got some tweaks in mind I think would help the campaign:

BGRIV:

As you said, nobles and king expenses are just crazy, especially since the only meaningful tax you can put on them is the crusader one, as scutage gives you very few florins. ItŽs not uncommon to have a noble dying with 9k+, so my take would be allowing generals without recruitment authorization to recruit avg and elite units from their own purse (when the local religion %/ noble funds allows it) and an option for authorized generals to do so instead of charging the treasury, as theyŽd be their personal troops instead of those used for the main armies. To simulate that they could even be fixed to the general's own stack, so theyŽd have to be with him everytime. If you are concerned about the ammount of troops deployed gobally I'd suggest increasing maintenance costs, both for individual units AND proportionally to the army size (1/4,1/2,3/4,1), which would represent the increased cost to organize and run a large army vs a few hundreds of men.

Still, IŽd also lower the cost associated with getting a new general, a marriage or a conquered city. Those are absurd imo. Another important issue IŽve been discussing with other players is the pop growth rate for the AI, though IŽm not sure if thatŽs due to the mod or playing on vh/vh. ThereŽs nothing I hate more than seeing a bunch of allied settlements getting from motte & bailey to citadel faster than my low taxes-high growth (+3.5%) cities.

BGRV:

Nothing to say here really, I just love the way itŽs been designed, since my nobility donŽt get overly rich when you look after them a little and I can recruit most units whenever I need them. IŽll just tell you about the first turns, before settlements have been given to a certain general you can recruit every unit available if the settlement isnt owned yet. I donŽt think thatŽs a feature since when the general inside gets the deed you cannot recruit elite units anymore (speaking of local recruitment, not central), due to lacking enough religious support.

PS: Please, do something about enemy merchants, they all seem to be better than yours even when you have been like 20 turns in a resource, let alone when you recruit them. ItŽs a pity they arenŽt really realiable anymore

And if you could fix the armor values given by armourers, it would be amazing. ItŽs really difficult to tell the real advantages your troops get from there.

Keep up this majestic mod dude, you're doing an amazing job and a lot of us absolutely love it

Cool, those all seem like very sensible changes, will do mate (y)

Thanks.
    And btw, is there any way to implement kosul graphic mod into ss6.4? IŽd really love to play with it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15622475

Those look fantastic, will give it a try once I get permission.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Those look fantastic, will give it a try once I get permission.
    Are you still adding more mods or are you giving bugs for release?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mostly killing a few persistent bugs with getting the campaigns going. New stuff like the above will be added in the next update, hopefully to follow on shortly.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Keep it up
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Not far off now!

For the moment I have given up getting the three mini-campaigns ready for this release, they all cause inexplicable errors for which the system log offers no help at all; they will have to be done later. But, there will be a Late Era campaign plus many, many optional sub-mods for each one, including the option to play 2TPY

Hi again, PB.

In BGR V when you disband units with 1+ manpower cost you only get +1mp back to the settlement. Is that a bug or is it supposed to be like that? I don't recall reading anything regarding that matter in the guide sheet so I'm not sure. And btw I find myself floating on 100k+ gold even in vh/vh by turn 70-80 in most of my games but I don't have anything relevant to spend it in since it's the manpower what really caps your progress. If you could implement the extra unit and army costs I told you about in a recent post in BGRV too, that'd be awesome

And don't get overly tired with this dude, as much as we want the update out we don't want you back in the hospital again, so take your time and just tell us when it's ready

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast