Thread: Crash campaign

Default Crash campaign

Hello everyone, here is a year that I try to play this mod which for me is the best mod on Napoleon total war. Only here, when the campaign starts everything is fine, but after a number of turns, the game crashes every battle, sometimes early, sometimes in the middle. This bug can happen from the year 1806, as from the year 1807,08,09 ... It's random each time.

It only happens with this mod, if I use another one everything is fine. I specify that I have completely uninstall all other mods. There is nothing but MoE.
    I add that in personal battle outside the campaign mode it works very well.

Apparently I am the only one to know this kind of problem, could someone please help me? Because I really want to be able to play MoE, and manage to make a campaign to the end ...

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Crash campaign

The only thing I can imagine is something related to technology.

If when you try to play the same battle in custom battle (same units on both side), and then it doesn't crash, it means there is no error in the unit themselves (no error in mesh, variant definition or stats).

So what could be different between a custom battle and the campaign? Maybe technology. Perhaps when combining different techs you get bonus that lead to a negative value, a division by zero or a value out of range.

But without any debug tool, it's very hard to identify

Quote Originally Posted by matotope89 View Post

i completely understand your situation all too well. never been able to finish a camp because i think that either I, as the player research a Technology that causes my battles to crash from there on after.......... OR an enemy nation researches that said Tech, that causes our crashes while we fight on the battlefield.
    happend around the same time you describe as well. hmm
    everything loads up to the battles .... i can fight almost and if not the very end of the battles at times but will never let me load back to the camp map to save . from there on you can only auto resolve taking out a critical part of the Napoleon total war .
    i feel as if its a tech from the civil side, i got to research all the military tech just fine without any crash.

Patrician Artifex

A solution would be to remove all extra tech temporarily... and modify the startpos to revert to remove added tech
    And try again a campaign and see it is still happens.

But that's a lot of work

is there a way to remove a tech tree out of the equation? for testing purposes of course. either way i can see that being alot of trial and error to find the specific tech. Steph when was the Tech update that you did? i remember you releasing it but i cant remember if had tried to run a full camp without it. question Steph have you ran into any issues with your camps?

Patrician Artifex

Do you think I have time to play full campaign and mod at the same time ?

Removing the tech themselves is not really hard. The issue is the sartpos: it contains the techs and not to be edited as well... And for each faction...

Update for tech tree was May 2017, one year ago

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...pdates-history

Beside the tech tree, the other culprit could be the building. I put the administrative building in the fort slot, but the fort itself is hardcoded: when you start a battle , you get the fort, even if I set everything not to provide fortification....

Maybe it has a nasty side effect.

But this would mean the crash happens only in city battles, and I'm not sure it's the case.

Trying to narrow the bug to one tech may not be easy. Because it may not be one tech, but a combination of techs.

For example, if you have 3 possible techs, each reducing recruit cost by 40%, then searching all together could mean -120% and a crash due to negative value...

Very hard to tell without a decent log
    Last edited by Steph; May 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM.