Thread: An update on the mod progress?

Sertorius Macro's Avatar Laetus

Default An update on the mod progress?

Vae Victis as I played it was great -specially the roster and combat system, according to my taste- and I really hope that we get a new updated version at some point. Of course, such a complex overhaul as VV offers demands hard slow paced job and I'm perfectly conscious that it will take a long time to have it ready for release. However, the fact that last update on the mod's progress was published like 5-6 months ago or so has me slightly worried. I sincerely hope VV is not dead, it would be a sad loss for RTW2 players.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: An update on the mod progress?

The latest updates to R2 have essentially meant that much of what has been done in the last year or 2 has to be thrown away and redone. From a camapaign perspective that will not happen until rome 2 stops being update/patched by CA. Faction roster work however is nearly complete.

I'm sorry to read that, it's a pity that all that campaign work is lost. Frankly, sometimes it looks as if CA doesn't care much about modders, and this is specially upsetting if we consider that many people buy this game because of the mods. Well, thanks and keep up the great work, Magnar.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    The latest updates to R2 have essentially meant that much of what has been done in the last year or 2 has to be thrown away and redone. From a camapaign perspective that will not happen until rome 2 stops being update/patched by CA. Faction roster work however is nearly complete.
    I'm sorry that all that campaign work was lost. CA should keep a better communication with modders when it comes to patches/updates... After all, mods add much value to the game. Well, Thanks for the quick answer and keep up the great job!

Master & Commander's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for the update Magnar. So when the faction rosters are finished will you release an update so we can play custom battles with all the new units?

Also if the more recent DLC/updates have forced y’all to scrap most of your work, does that mean we will need to wait another two years for a campaign update after CA has moved on from their updating/patching of the game? Or do you think progress will go quicker this time since y’all already have an overall plan and will be reimplementing a lot of your previous work?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Im not sure on all those points atm. Modding the startpos is slow work as small things can result in crashes that you can only find by playing some x number of turns to find out. As a result of a few such crashes we had already scrapped a lot of our probably overly ambitious startpos goals, if only at least for the next release.

Whether the new rosters are released when finished is probably more up to M@ximus than me. He's been making most of the unit changes of late so i'll leave that decision in his hands.

Most of the previous work will also be redone on the campaign side of things and battle balancing will get another swing by. A lot has been added to the unit stat system since the last update to make it account for amlmost every aspect of a unit that a fine tuning of some of the variables will no doubt be required.

CA said they are planning at least another expansion for Rome II.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/wttwo-03-18

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Master & Commander's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    CA said they are planning at least another expansion for Rome II.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/wttwo-03-18

Thats frustrating. I wish they would focus on updating Attila, but I understand why they are only focusing on Rome. Thanks for the link by the way.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Yeah i read that a while ago and is why our campaign work is still on hold atm.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

I hope it's the last update/ DLC for Rome II, all those patches have broken way too many great mods over the years....
    Oh and I've been waiting for Vae Victis 1.0 for an eternity
    I can wait longer, no problem. Take your time, I appreciate everything you have done for the Rome II community, ever since 2013!

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

VV team,Happy 2019!Can we get a 'state of the mod' address for the new year, please?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

You mean a full on post with deets and all? or just a quick reply here that its still slowly progressing with a focus on improving the aesthetics of existing rosters and finishing the last 2% of not yet done rosters?

I'm not picky.

People do like details, though. So I'm sure whatever info that you can share would be appreciated by people following the mod. After all, it's why we are here.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; January 13, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

You mean a full on post with deets and all? or just a quick reply here that its still slowly progressing with a focus on improving the aesthetics of existing rosters and finishing the last 2% of not yet done rosters?
    Really glad to hear this - that only 2% of rosters are not finished yet!
    On the other side the stat pos is still very rough, right?

Looking forward to this mod, I like your "reality first if possible" approach.

Good luck!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

The startpos will need to be completely redone from scratch due to issues from a couple patches ago. Im not sure how much can be done in the startpos now, we will have to take it one step at a time as trying to reimplement what worked before no longer works. That also means the grand building redesign which was almost finished has been shelved

Off the top of my head, the remaining rosters to be done are:
    Albania, Caucasia, Colchis, Maurya, Meroe, Blemmyes (though not actually them but rather the faction they will changed into)

At the moment the Iberian/Celtiberian rosters are getting updated to be how the original creator (miri) wanted them but ran out of time to make the changes.

The reworked rosters are rather different to the existing rosters with slimmer rosters and needing to rely on the AoR and merc units, both of which also need to be done. As such there is a still a fair bit of work to just finish all the units off. M@ximus is the main man pushing the unit development forward, you can see his good work in the Hellenika mod for an idea of things to come.

Kind Magnar,

I really appreciate your approach how you mod and what you are aiming for.
    I will keep my hopes that you are not burned or moved to another project before R2 is being abandoned by CA for you to continue with this finalising next update of this mod.
    So big thumbs from me long time veteran of EB I, EB II, Roma Surrectum, DEI (ye they do great job but.. it really isnt THAT), and many many other mods.
    Hellenika was/is great too, the guys behind it are also incredible therefore I got really hyped after reading that they joined you (holy fuc..! ). H is outdated now but even if thy will not upadate I will play it again on former patches.

Your approach is the one I really appreciate and looking forward therefore thank you, thumbs up, good luck..!.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

ive burnt myself out with this mod abuot 4 times over already but i keep coming back to it and thakfully other members keep pushing it along when i take my foot off the accelerator

Updating hellenika is also something i told them i would do when i can.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

M@ximus is the main man pushing the unit development forward
    Yup. M@ximus deserves a medal for all he's been doing behind the scenes.

Thanks for the update!

I'd like to know what's current situation with the mod at the moment, been quite a while without any news.