Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the craic with them lads?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default What's the craic with them lads?

CA.

Not really a curial matter but I noticed a thread and a post in the Q&S which many here probably missed.

So.

We have a CA forum which hasn't been used for three years, despite a new game on the near horizon. CA staff have their own badges, but as far as I can tell only Jack comes here and he hasn't posted for three years.

Meanwhile every youtuber with a subscription base over 3000 is getting interviews, and exclusive previews for ToB, with various CA staff members.. There's even an interview with Lusted where he goes out of his way to not name check TWC. Which is sad, disappointing and to be honest, a bit hurtful.

I know CA took a lot of flack from disgruntled fans here, but they were protected, often to the detriment of TWC among the fans.

Is there any hope of rekindling our relationship or is it dead?.

And if it is dead, why do we have a CA forum and badges?.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 23, 2018 at 06:35 PM.

Default Re: What's the craic with them lads?

Well, don't you know that is not why they no longer post here despite years of doing so? (sarcasm off)
    Whatever "special relationship" we have had with CA has long since lapsed. Relationships have to be maintained or they will wither and die. It shouldn't be CA reaching out to TWC, but TWC reaching out to CA. I do not think (based on comments made in the past) that we have done anything.

Personally, if we are not going to rekindle the relationship we probably shouldn't have badges either.
    More on the badge, why we have a Slytherine badge and a separate user group for Feral is beyond me. I thought we were a Total War forum. if anything a generic developer's badge would be more appropriate.

Anyway, more to the issue. WE need to reach out to CA, not the other way around. I do not think WE have been doing that. I think WE just think/ assume the relationship will be there.

Blog Entries

I don’t care about Feral or Slithrene. Let’s stay focused.

I disagree we have to go chasing CA. They have a dedicated forum here, updates wouldn’t take a lot of effort. In terms of contacting CA for interviews, I don’t know that hasn’t been attempted. Hence the thread..

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

We should ignore CA, for now, and focus on becoming THE total war fansite, like we used to be back in '09 and '10.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I agree in part Settra, we definitely need to become the preeminent site that it was back when CA saw a reason to be here. CA is as popular as ever; we are not.

Blog Entries

Having no interaction with CA isn’t a huge issue. We had nothing from them from 05-08.

I’m not keen on the unused CA forum, bit of an eyesore imo. And if they are not active here the badges can be put on ice for now..

Is content keeping up with ToB updates?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

3 of the last 15 front page announcements have been Thrones of Britannia, and 1 has been Total War Arena. We've got a tendency to lag behind a few days though because there might be other items in the list, you'd have to ask Caillagh or Polemaios though.

Blog Entries

So we are putting time and effort into promoting the new titles.. Kind of makes the lack of contact from CA feel a bit unfair.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

I think I am able to say that there are current plans for the News Team to utilise the CA Official News forum. Obviously, it wouldn't be "official", but it would carry news from CA and open it up for discussion like that forum previously allowed.

The details are still being sorted by the relevant Director(s) and Hex.

As for CA, did you ever have any contact with Lusted when he was here, Halie? Could you be the one to reach out to him and clarify what has gone wrong.

I have no idea, but I doubt any official reason for CA's ignoring of TWC has ever been provided by the former to the latter.

The interview mentioned in the OP, also mentioned in Huberto's post here, is illuminating. Lusted conveniently avoids referring to "Total War Center", instead referring to "the modding forums". I agree that that's saddening.

Blog Entries

I’ve met Jack when he was a wee young lad with hopes and dreams but had yet to discover cravats. We spent a day up at CA and Jack blew up one of their very high end comps. I can PM him, but rather know if it’s worth the effort, or If we’ve p’ed on their cornflakes.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    So we are putting time and effort into promoting the new titles.. Kind of makes the lack of contact from CA feel a bit unfair.
    Unfair perhaps, but irrelevant; TWC must be relevant for the fans of the TW series, incl. the latest TW news, in order to be attractive as a site.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    3 of the last 15 front page announcements have been Thrones of Britannia, and 1 has been Total War Arena. We've got a tendency to lag behind a few days though because there might be other items in the list, you'd have to ask Caillagh or Polemaios though.
    News of the official games should be given prio' over other material in the news feed, to that end, I argue. They're not to common, after all.

As for the topic, close and archive the CA forum. It is not in use anyhow so let's not be nostalgic, dead forums look bad for a living site and especially when it's a CA-forum it's an eyesore, as Halie put it.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 24, 2018 at 06:18 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    As for the topic, close and archive the CA forum. It is not in use anyhow so let's not be nostalgic, dead forums look bad for a living site and especially when it's a CA-forum it's an eyesore, as Halie put it.
    Let’s see if we can’t bring that back to life in some capacity. If not... Shazumph!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I think I am able to say that there are current plans for the News Team to utilise the CA Official News forum. Obviously, it wouldn't be "official", but it would carry news from CA and open it up for discussion like that forum previously allowed.
    The details are still being sorted by the relevant Director(s) and Hex.
    As for CA, did you ever have any contact with Lusted when he was here, Halie? Could you be the one to reach out to him and clarify what has gone wrong.
    I have no idea, but I doubt any official reason for CA's ignoring of TWC has ever been provided by the former to the latter.
    The interview mentioned in the OP, also mentioned in Huberto's post here, is illuminating. Lusted conveniently avoids referring to "Total War Center", instead referring to "the modding forums". I agree that that's saddening.
    This is very positive news. I know in the discussion about the game, we have been posting the promo videos which have been very good. (almost surprisingly good).

I’ve met Jack when he was a wee young lad with hopes and dreams but had yet to discover cravats. We spent a day up at CA and Jack blew up one of their very high end comps. I can PM him, but rather know if it’s worth the effort, or If we’ve p’ed on their cornflakes.
    It sounds like you know him in person. If anyone were to get a satisfactory answer, it will most likely be you. If not, then I doubt anyone else would be more successful apart from maybe GED. It is worth effort either way. Best to know than not know.

100% agree!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    And here I am to be asked.

Thank you for doing the maths for me, Caligula.

Is content keeping up with ToB updates?
    I obviously can't speak for any of my Content colleagues, but as far as the News team is concerned, we aim to announce any important ToB updates, and any other important CA announcements. Less important updates are announced (perhaps with a delay, as Caligula mentioned) when we can fit them around TWC-related announcements, particularly announcements for mods. There's inevitably a certain amount of personal opinion involved in deciding which of CA's announcements count as 'important', and which count as 'less important'. If you think we should have announced something, and we haven't, please let us know!

News of the official games should be given prio' over other material in the news feed, to that end, I argue. They're not to common, after all.
    This is where it gets complicated. CA post some kind of update almost every day on Twitter/Reddit/Facebook. If the News team reposted every single one of those announcements as a separate announcement, we would have much less opportunity to support the TWC modding community with announcements for their mods. We try to strike a balance. We're not going to get it right all the time, but that's what we aim to do.

What do we lose by reaching out to CA again?

I do agree that dead fora should be closed and archived, though. If something new is kindled and it merits it's own forum, we can revisit.

Blog Entries

The question on ToB updates was rhetorical, I just wanted to give content the opportunity to state their part. Personally I think you guys are doing fine.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I obviously can't speak for any of my Content colleagues, but as far as the News team is concerned, we aim to announce any important ToB updates, and any other important CA announcements. Less important updates are announced (perhaps with a delay, as Caligula mentioned) when we can fit them around TWC-related announcements, particularly announcements for mods. There's inevitably a certain amount of personal opinion involved in deciding which of CA's announcements count as 'important', and which count as 'less important'. If you think we should have announced something, and we haven't, please let us know!

This is where it gets complicated. CA post some kind of update almost every day on Twitter/Reddit/Facebook. If the News team reposted every single one of those announcements as a separate announcement, we would have much less opportunity to support the TWC modding community with announcements for their mods. We try to strike a balance. We're not going to get it right all the time, but that's what we aim to do.
    I have confidence for Content's ability, including to prioritize; so that minor news would folllow current custom, and big news would be given priority. Just raised it as an encouragment, you handle it accoridng to what you deem best.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

There's been multiple attempts over the years to reach out to CA, and we've always been given the cold shoulder or given promises that never come to fruition. Just wanted to clear that up.

Hex reaching out again is unlikely to be successful, imo. However, maybe a show of force from the membership would make a difference. If there were a decision in the Curia recommending some sort of action with a large turn out of votes, that could be a powerful statement. I'm remembering the time where the Curia recommended TWC purchase the Rome Total War game engine.
    Last edited by StealthFox; April 24, 2018 at 09:41 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I have confidence for Content's ability, including to prioritize; so that minor news would folllow current custom, and big news would be given priority. Just raised it as an encouragment, you handle it accoridng to what you deem best.
    Thank you for your faith in us. We'll do our best.

(But please do let us know if you think we've missed something. We're human, so that has been known to happen...)

Maybe you could convince great modders to stay on TWC and make it kind of exclusive for TWC Also support up starting youtubers lik the SuperJew and the White Wolf and others to make play troughs with those mods that you only find on the site Great mods attract the attention. First for players and later for developers. I am making my greatest mod now But, because all my resources goes to building the mod, i can't or don't have the time to make publicity for it (like video previews). I already reached out to some youtubers, but alas, with no avail. I know there is TWC youtube channel, but it doesn't seem to be active that much. Otherwise i am also forced to leave and put my focus on the steam workshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast