Thread: Best way to fight the timurids and mongols as scotland?

Default Best way to fight the timurids and mongols as scotland?

I am a pretty slow advancer in medieval 2, so the Timurids conquered Russia and the Mongols conquered Hungary. I conquered about 40 regions and now I am at conflict with the Timurids. Any suggestions on how to use units on the open field? And if so, the most effective with the least casualties, as I prefer to preserve my armies.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best way to fight the timurids and mongols as scotland?

Most effective in the open field? Retreat back to your castles! If you have to use the field, you need plenty of archers, pikes and cav. Focus elephants quickly with artillery. Upgrade your border horse and use them to catch the enemy light horse archers. They will outrange you, so you need to be careful. Noble Highland archers, noble pikemen, border horse, some noble swordsmen and some heavy cav, either generals or whatever you have available
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Thank you for the advice. I have access to knights hospitaller and some free company longbowman. Normally what I'll do is sit in the settlement. But I'm trying to conquer the Timurids, no the other way around. So if I'm besieging a settlement they'll attempt to relieve the city.but again, thanks for the advice.

Civis

Well 2 good tactic it using lot of cavalry and with some mercenary horse archer. Send your horse archer against their so they will go away from front line. Then after you just need to worry about there lancer. If you have some pike man and hospitalier it wont be to hard.
    Other tactic as Scotland have acces to lot of chead skirmisher and light archer. Just use them as cannon fodder, while they deplete there arrow and became fatigued. Use some artillery over that. When you see the ennemy cavalry go isolated or making error try charge them with your hospitalier or your pike if they are close enought. Try to go always 2 vs 1 because there cavalry are real strong. You need to dispatch those lancer, quicker it better. Using 4 hospitallier plus the 4 other support light cavalry always it the best. Unless you making 2 army or more other calvry wont be much use, just you best heavy plus some light support and ranged horse.You need your best heavy against their lancer and your light and ranged against their horse archer and for arrrass infantry archer. Light cavalry are good to pusuit fleeing troop also. Sure nothing beat pike against their lancers if you can engage them with that.
    The heavy infantry spartiate tactic are not real good here. SO you better keep your 2 handed heavy sword man and axe man for the second wave when your skirmisher begin to flee and fatigue. Sure you always need some Pike men to protect your secondwave.
    Well I dont know what tactic you use on the field most of the time but I like a clear open field to fight, yes it can advantage the timurids also, so I dont know your style so better you can try fight them in the wood if you like those kind of combat. Fight them 2 army against one or or at night when you see you got superiority with cavalry mostly. Avoid to much elephant or 1 vs 2. They are rather hard to beat 2 army, because your cavalry will get fatigued for the second army. Yes you can beat them even in inferiority but they get a little thought over 3 vs 1.
    I rememeber some of my first game in a crusade I was fighting them in middle east, I was alway in inferiority and I loosed lot of knight. I was using mostly just heavy cavalry melee, my knight pursuit them all around the map, that was getting annoying. It can go for 1 or 2 fight but if they are like 4 or 5 army you wont beat them all with that tactic even one army at the time. The bigest tip to remind it delay there horse archer away with some cheap light or horse archer. If your are in superiority you can even send 2 against one. Delay them enought at least that you have deal with there lancer. Best it delay the time you dealed with all the rest of the army. Some of the mercenary archer are prety good againt them I dont remember the name but they can circle so if you put the formation to loose they can endure them alot.

Welp, I crushed the Timurids, they no longer exist, now on to the Mongols, which are easy.