Thread: Campaign Beginner tips for the Seleucids?

Default Campaign Beginner tips for the Seleucids?

Coming back from a long R2TW hiatus, favourite factions are the Seleucids and the Antigonids.
    Starting a new DeI campaign as the Seleucids, what are some tips and tricks to avoid getting roflstomped by the eastern satrapies?

Default Re: Campaign Beginner tips for the Seleucids?

Well you have somewhere around 40-50 turns before the satrapies declare independence by event. On my recent play through I payed off the northern Armenians and the orange persians "lol idk what their name is" for 2 turns just to stave them off. First priority is try and rush against Egypt. If you can secure side and move down yeduha before the east rebels you will be in a stronger position.

Also to note if they stuck with you before the scripted event they will all be at war with each other not just you, so that will take their attention away from the border.

In my playthrough I destroyed 3 Egyptian stacks right after taking Jerusalem and they offered to be my satrapy the following turn after Carthage declared war on them which was weird but worked out. I do use the soft core mod during the first 20 turns of my campaign tho so that might probably factor into their diplomacy.

Dunno about Seleucids as I'm generally reluctant to play with large factions, but heres a short guideline for an "easy" Mac start.
    Immediately declare war on celtic invaders to the north and rally all greek gents and other people, who you want to be on friendly terms, against them (Athens, Aetolia, Ardiai, Odryssa, Thyni, Pergamon, Seleucids).
    Take Larissa on turn 2 after all diplomacy is done and make it client. This is to keep safe your backyard from Sparta, to get separate growth and free buildings.
    Spearhead crusade against Tolistobogi. The quick way is to set up an ambush and lure their half-stack with a single general behind your trap. This general will also be used as governor later. After celtic army destroyed, attack their fresh general reinforced by garrison next turn and take empty city.
    Now you're set. Choose where to expand: to meddle in Odryssa-Triballi conflict, Rome-Epirus conflict or Sparta-Athens (if you courted Athens enough) conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Theon Greyjoy View Post
    Well you have somewhere around 40-50 turns before the satrapies declare independence by event. On my recent play through I payed off the northern Armenians and the orange persians "lol idk what their name is" for 2 turns just to stave them off. First priority is try and rush against Egypt. If you can secure side and move down yeduha before the east rebels you will be in a stronger position.

Also to note if they stuck with you before the scripted event they will all be at war with each other not just you, so that will take their attention away from the border.

In my playthrough I destroyed 3 Egyptian stacks right after taking Jerusalem and they offered to be my satrapy the following turn after Carthage declared war on them which was weird but worked out. I do use the soft core mod during the first 20 turns of my campaign tho so that might probably factor into their diplomacy.
    Ah ok. Did this change recently? I remember last time i played DeI they all revolted about 3-5 turns in.

Quote Originally Posted by ForTheHorde View Post
    Ah ok. Did this change recently? I remember last time i played DeI they all revolted about 3-5 turns in.
    Yeah I believe in 1.2 they added the script because the selks could actually keep the satrapies for quite awhile with bribes and all the bonuses from being at war with other factions.

Also if u wanted to just say "screw it all" you could try bribing Egypt until u get a trade agreement and focus on reclaiming the East.

Yeah I believe in 1.2 they added the script because the selks could actually keep the satrapies for quite awhile with bribes and all the bonuses from being at war with other factions.

Also if u wanted to just say "screw it all" you could try bribing Egypt until u get a trade agreement and focus on reclaiming the East.
    40 - 50 turns? I have 2 seleucid campaigns going (one with and one without KAM's economy mod) and the satrapies both rebelled around turn 20 in both games. Not sure if difficulty affects this but I'm playing on hard.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Furgon View Post
    Dunno about Seleucids as I'm generally reluctant to play with large factions, but heres a short guideline for an "easy" Mac start.
    Immediately declare war on celtic invaders to the north and rally all greek gents and other people, who you want to be on friendly terms, against them (Athens, Aetolia, Ardiai, Odryssa, Thyni, Pergamon, Seleucids).
    Take Larissa on turn 2 after all diplomacy is done and make it client. This is to keep safe your backyard from Sparta, to get separate growth and free buildings.
    Spearhead crusade against Tolistobogi. The quick way is to set up an ambush and lure their half-stack with a single general behind your trap. This general will also be used as governor later. After celtic army destroyed, attack their fresh general reinforced by garrison next turn and take empty city.
    Now you're set. Choose where to expand: to meddle in Odryssa-Triballi conflict, Rome-Epirus conflict or Sparta-Athens (if you courted Athens enough) conflict.
    Good points.

Thanks! im about 120 turns in now, Rushed egypt first (and then almost lost it) as the Nabateans, Galatians, Medians attacked and my satrapies all rebelled at once immediately after. Situation's well and truly stable now, making big bank and have big armies. Good tips!