Thread: Save Files Corrupt After I Defeat Austria

Icon1 Save Files Corrupt After I Defeat Austria

So I'm enjoying my first Prussia campaign and I get into several wars with Austria. I got them down to two provinces when they decide to declare war on me again. I crush them pretty easily. Before my final assault I saved the game. Afterwards, I kept playing for a little bit, saved again and stopped playing for the day.

The next day I find the newest save corrupted and when I try to load it the game stops working. I check to see if any of the other older saves the most recent one that's intact is the one right before I defeated Austria. I do some experiments, and let Austria live for a few turns more. I save before and after I crush them again. Same thing happens, different years. So it has to be something to do with removing Austria.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Save Files Corrupt After I Defeat Austria

Welcome to TWC, TeaBiscuit. I've experienced this problem too. When it happened it me, uninstalling and reinstalling Darthmod didn't work. Even when I uninstalled Darthmod, uninstalled Empire Total War and reinstalled ETW without using mods, and the problem still happened - new saved games would keep becoming corrupted.

For me, this is what did work, to prevent more saved games from being corrupted:-

Open your C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts folder and:-

- Cut and paste your preferences.empire_script.txt file somewhere else, e.g. in a sub-folder you create called 'broken script files' (I suggest moving it rather than deleting it, just in case you ever want to put it back, although that should not be necessary)

- Start the game in the normal way (the game should detect that it doesn't have a preferences.empire_script.txt file and will create one for you)

- In the game, you will need to choose your preferred options again, such as the level of advice you want and the graphics settings

- If you had previously edited your the preferences_empire_script.txt file to implement mods such as the developers battle camera, Bran Mac Born's Preferences Script Setting for better battle AI and You can't play in high? Here is solution, then you will need to edit the preferences script to add those settings. You might also need to right-click on the preferences_empire_script.txt file and select 'read only' (you could try not doing that, playing a few turns, exiting the game and looking at the preferences file to see if your changes are still there).

Unfortunately, I do not know a way to fix a corrupted saved game - as far as I know, they cannot be recovered.

I also do not know how to prevent the game from 'breaking' again in the same way, causing saved games to become corrupted. I experienced this problem when playing Darthmod - apart from that, I have only experienced this problem rarely, when developing new mods, when I repeatedly edited 'work in progress' (WIP) mod files and replaced the current ones with new versions. I do not think that this problem is the fault of Darthmod itself. My guess is that the problem is linked to the many options in the Darthmod launcher. When we select options in the launcher, mod files are automatically added to the data folder, to achieve the changes we ask for (such as 'no trails'). There are a lot of different options, so it would be easy to load a saved game with a slightly different combination of options than we used before. My guess is that, if we save a game with one set of mods, and then load the game with a slightly different set of mods, that sometimes causes the game to 'break' which corrupts the saved games (that is consistent with my experience of seeing this problem after repeatedly changing the mods I was using, when testing 'work in progress' mod files). When the game is 'broken', then saved games will continue to become corrupted until it is fixed.

For me, the solution was to use a different mod (Empire Total Factions, plus a set of small mods to customise the game-play) - this makes the problem very rare. However, I imagine that many players prefer the game-play which DarthMod offers. Obviously, DarthMod has many fans who presumably must know how to continue to use DarthMod without experiencing the problem - hopefully they can suggest a solution (unless it's a matter of luck, or some computers experience the problem and others don't, so that some players aren't affected).