Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC Chat

Default OOC Chat

Our thread for out of character chat

I got my start in the AAR/RPG community, so cut me some slack! We will use this thread for any off topic chat, discussions, stupid questions (of which there are none) or other planning purposes. I'm here to ensure you all learn something and enjoy the course after all, so feel free to propose things here as well.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: OOC Chat

It is stunning how we are the only, if not one of the few, colonies in the past few hundred years who not only fought for independence but then maintained a stable state post-war. I can't think of any other cases in the past few hundred years, or even throughout the entirety of history. Maybe that's part of American exceptionalism. I don't know everything about history, so I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

The American Revolution and its subsequent history is a strong case for a society of technocrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    It is stunning how we are the only, if not one of the few, colonies in the past few hundred years who not only fought for independence but then maintained a stable state post-war. I can't think of any other cases in the past few hundred years, or even throughout the entirety of history. Maybe that's part of American exceptionalism. I don't know everything about history, so I'll be happy to be proved wrong.
    Mexico may be the closest example, though certainly less prosperous. We should give them back southern California

Definitely not Mexico. They have not had sustained stability since independence.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Haiti?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I can't think of any other cases in the past few hundred years, or even throughout the entirety of history.
    Southern Ireland
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Haiti?
    They’ve had a worse time at it than Mexico.

@Aexodus
    Forgot about Ireland. You’re right. That is an example.

Blog Entries

In fairness, you could argue Ireland wasn't a 'colony' per se, as it was a home nation, like Scotland. It would be interesting to see the similarities between the Irish and American constitutions, perhaps De Valera borrowed a couple ideas after his 'visit' () there.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

The problem with comparing constitutions from the North America and Europe, is that pesky EU thing, a treaty that in many ways lets a bureaucracy override national will. There is a bit of the same danger with NAFTA though.

Blog Entries

Thats a fair point, but all European countries with constitutions (UK is not one) created them before the EU. Much of British law is derived from the EU, but I wonder how (if at all) the EU could have directly changed or contributed to constitutional amendments for example in Ireland. Or maybe its not necessary, as EU law supersedes national law?

If the latter is true, I'm glad we left.

Apologies for not being around, my computer has crashed twice in the past two days. As a result I don't have microsoft office any more. If you wanted to send me a doc, let's use google docs

every and all should feel ready to submit briefs now in order to mitigate delays in the future with posting lessons.

Just waiting for some briefs to be submitted...

I thought we were discussing them one at a time?

Ideally we would, but waiting several days for a brief to be submitted when we would otherwise be on schedule seems unnecessary. So ASAP submissions seem the best route to me

Sorry folks. Been AFK from the forum about a week and a half. Work in government now so I imagine you can deduce the cause for my absence Anyway, I'll submit my brief this week. Should have some downtime now.

Any progress?

Hey guys, so is this course still happening at all? It's been ages since anything was posted or responded to here, but I was quite interested to see where this would all go...
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Hello? Hellllllooooooo...... Is anybody here anymore?

| Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast