Thread: Any tips on fixing CTDs..?

Default Any tips on fixing CTDs..?

Hello. I really like this mod, Imho its even better as the NTW version. As much as I appreciate all the great detail put into it, I'm disappointed with the high frequency of crashes. The last thread on this topic was made last year, so I'm hoping since then somebody was able to fix some of the crashes, somehow.

I started my 3rd Union campaign already, as I used countless fixes while on the previous campaigns so I made a new game to see if it works out, but unfortunately no luck. I tried most of the fixes that were posted on this forum but none of them were able to fix the problem for me.

Yesterday I experienced two crashes during a battle, the third time I reloaded the game I managed to finish it, but goddamn it, it crashed right after and I wasn't able to save it.

My friend who has much better setup than me was able to fight a 30k man battle (not at once though, but in waves) without a crash, good for him. But he said he also experiences crashes here and there, so I'm starting to think the crashes aren't possibly related to PC specs.

I would be grateful for any tips!

Btw I'm running the RTI 3 version as I don't have the Warpath DLC. Could this be a cause to some crashes too? Not sure about it I'm no expert on this. If so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, just for the sake of fixing my crashes and enjoying this beautiful mud to the fullest!

SR-71's Avatar Civis

Icon4 Re: Any tips on fixing CTDs..?

It's completely uncertain that you encounter a solution for CTDs. I've tried to start many campaigns and always there is a CTD that ruins it, some of them even in turn 3 or 4. Mainly prior to battles. It's not related to Warpath because I have it and it's the same annoying thing
    I've tried as you did, lots of "solutions" and no result. It's a real pity because I love this mod. Good luck if you find one. I'll report if I find some other
    Last edited by SR-71; April 27, 2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Jimmy Dix: I'm really good, man. Maybe I could take your daughter out. What's she like?
    Joe Hallenbeck: She's like thirteen years old, and if you even look at her funny, I'm gonna stick an umbrella up your ass and open it.

Default Re: Any tips on fixing CTDs..?

True true. I tried the turning Steam overlay fix, which seemed to fix things for a while, but then they appeared again. I bought the Warpath DLC to make it more interesting but now the game crashes at like the 7th turn after Confederacy captures Kentucky. It appears it crashes after battles sometimes aswell. Really sad, I hoped they would find a good programmer since this mod was so popular and attracted large audience.
    Cheers, I will do the same, but I guess our only option is to wait for a perfect programmer to save us all from this misery

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Received a reply from bahire3000 on ModDB:
    --------------------
    "I downloaded 'steamerdll' from the internet and I copied it into data folder. This was originally produced for Shogun2, but it worked in both the troublesome Napoleon mods and this your mod. It worked...

But, It also catches my attention, it's mostly happening when game crashing, the cannons fire to enemy. But only the infantry battles didn't crash. I couldn't access the projectiles files, but it is also necessary to reduce the values of the field cannons.

This configuration file does not fix 100%, but the problem is greatly reduced. İn just 3.5 week the game crashed one time on today.
    In other words, Steam doesn't want to be used mods in games. Thank you!

NOTE: Please reduce the infantry firing projectiles values in any case too. Also excuse for the name of the dll file. I didn't put that naughty name, dude!

NOTE2: Please write to me here, if it works
    well in your game too! "

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Holy god if this works I swear...
    Trig, does that mean that a patch might be coming up in the future?

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Tentato View Post
    Trig, does that mean that a patch might be coming up in the future?
    If someone makes it, sure. Who knows what the future brings.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links