Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the rings miniseries

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The Lord of the rings miniseries

What do you think about that project? If it all goes well the show will be aired around 2020(so we have a lot of time in front of us to discuss it). As far as i know it will be take place either in a time between hobbit and Lotr or much earlier than hobbit. I have mixed feelings about this but since i am a huge fan of the original LOTR trilogy i am keen to see it

Default Re: The Lord of the rings miniseries

Where's my popcorn.

Either it will be good or it will be bad. No in betweens. I just know the infighting among the fans will be hilariously fun to watch as it draws closer.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Do we know if it's in the same continuity as the previous movies? IMO it's high time for a re-boot.

I think instead of Lord of the Ring miniseries, you make a movie bases on the Similirian and other atories associete with LOTR. There is a lot of plot line for a story, but even an ardent Tolkein fan can't complain about changing dialogue.

Still, a mini series of LOTR would be good, but only if they make it very faithful to the book, more than the movies. The movies were about as faithful as you could expect from Hollywod, but still different in ways that made them inferior to the books, taking scenes from the book out and adding scenes that were not i the book.

And if they change the story the way they did in the Hobbit movies, they should not bother, I the Hobbit movies were bad, taking one short book and stretching it out to 3 unneccessarily long movies. Tolkein would have turned over in his grave, the Hobbit movies were exactly the reason he never wanted his books to be made into movies.

The people who did the Game of Thrones looks like they could make a good miniseries of LOTR,.

If they it up as badly as the Hobbit it will likely be the death of any potential for LOTR to come alive on screen again for a long time. If that happens I would even be in favor of giving it a long rest. I hope what they've learned from the Hobbit in terms of building a lasting, loyal, and inspired fanbase is that if you try to milk us for as much money as you can up front, it is going to seriously limit the potential for the franchise to make money after the box office.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Amazon are committed to five seasons with an investment of close to a $billion$ dollars, there's also talk of a spin off (already).

Best guess so far is it will be set between the Hobbit and LoTR, possibly focusing on a young-ish Aragorn. Even that iseems to be based on the LoTR title and little else.

Peter Jackson has been offered an executive producers role. I assume Amazon just want his name on it.

That's about all the info out there so far.

Last I heard Jackson was basically burned out on the whole franchise.

If they include Balin's expedition into Khazad-Dum I would be doubly interested, but this time no more meme dwarves.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Amazon are committed to five seasons with an investment of close to a $billion$ dollars, there's also talk of a spin off (already).
    A decent chunk of that change is spent on getting the rights as it is.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Last I heard Jackson was basically burned out on the whole franchise.

If they include Balin's expedition into Khazad-Dum I would be doubly interested, but this time no more meme dwarves.
    Executive producer is basically a fixer. They pull all the strings to get the right people on board, inc: directors/actors/costume etc etc. Jackson might never be on set or read a script (though I’m sure he would), at this point he’s as synonymous with LoTR as Tolkien... Not that anyone is going to say no, apart from Gimli. Apparently he’s not into coming back at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    A decent chunk of that change is spent on getting the rights as it is.
    $250m I read. Leaving around $750m to make the show, roughly $20m per episode.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 15, 2018 at 04:02 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I am not interested in Lotr at all...
    Is this going to be grim-dark?
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Other than Gandalf, I don't think I would want anyone returning. It was 20 years ago, and all of them have aged 20 years. Wouldn't look good if they returned to the roles they had

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    Other than Gandalf, I don't think I would want anyone returning. It was 20 years ago, and all of them have aged 20 years. Wouldn't look good if they returned to the roles they had
    Actually, Elijah Wood today would be a better Frodo than back then when they filmed.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Having watched the Lindsay Ellis video trilogy on the hobbit production, I suspect little involvement of the original crew in this new series. It also makes me feel a little bit more salty about the franchise as a whole and more understanding of the Tolkein Estate's firm grip over Tolkein's work. Not that I expect this amazon series to have anything to do with the whole LOTR/Hobbit fiasco, but I'm sooo painfully over LOTR it elicits involuntary eyerolls at even the mention of it.

I would do single seasons of all the books they've been publishing of the first age. But that's me.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'd pay to see that

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Actually, Elijah Wood today would be a better Frodo than back then when they filmed.
    not really (face was already too chiseled in his Hobbit cameo)
    Last edited by Pinarius; April 26, 2018 at 09:50 AM.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

I am looking forward to see some first pictures of the sets, costumes, and actors. At least I hope that they learned their lessons about using too much cgi... The third Hobbit movie looked like a game, not a live-action movie.
    Amazon probably realises that if they screw this up, they will lose/ have lost a lot of money

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I'd pay to see that
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

I won't be holding my breath for this mini series to produce something approaching the greatness of the film trilogy, but I will certainly give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Oggie♔ View Post
    I am looking forward to see some first pictures of the sets, costumes, and actors. At least I hope that they learned their lessons about using too much cgi... The third Hobbit movie looked like a game, not a live-action movie.
    Amazon probably realises that if they screw this up, they will lose/ have lost a lot of money
    Indeed!
    Plus, i do think that Amazon will be a quality assurance!I always had a good time watching stuff on Amazon Video so far!
    Not that i have anything against Netflix since they have really good stuff too...but sometimes they made such..."questionable" choices...

*COUGH* *COUGH* Death note movie *COUGH* *COUGH*

I'm just saying Amazon has a pretty good list backing themselves up. A partial list counting both renewed and canceled:

Bosch.
    Alpha House.
    Goliath.
    Sneaky Pete.
    Patriot.
    Man in the High Castle.
    The Tick.

I'm looking forward to Jack Ryan which is starting later this year. This one should've always been a tv show instead of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg93 View Post
    Indeed!
    Plus, i do think that Amazon will be a quality assurance!I always had a good time watching stuff on Amazon Video so far!
    Not that i have anything against Netflix since they have really good stuff too...but sometimes they made such..."questionable" choices...

*COUGH* *COUGH* Death note movie *COUGH* *COUGH*
    Eh. Go down the list. Amazon has made their own batch of questionable choices. They and Netflix are as much like any other channel out there.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast