Thread: Amphibious landing

Default Amphibious landing

Hello, guys. At first I want to say that this mod is absolutely wonderful. My regards to the developers. You've created a great piece of art. Thank you.

And here is my question. I've noticed that AI does't convey his troops by the sea. And he also never makes sea invasions. I'm using Alexandr.exe and tested this situation on BI.exe. The result was same.
    Does anybody have the same situation? And which exe file is the most preferable?

Default Re: Amphibious landing

BI is supposedly better.

Carthage will try to take Sardinia - and sometimes Sicily too. Once Syracuse breaks the Greek Alliance - then Greece will also try to reinforce.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

The BI.exe is definitely more aggressive than the Alex.exe at the beginning of the game as Rome3.1/HH.
    Right after the rebellion, the Carthaginians send 5 to 6 unit to Sardinia without attacking the city right a way. It takes another 2 turns for them to attack. The AI combines the attack cleverly with 2 attacks elsewhere (Greeks, Gauls, Carthaginians in Northern Italy, or small rebel groups) in the game. From there on, Carthage is sending constantly full and half stacks to the island, even on account of loosing territory in Spain.
    After around 30 turns you will see small invasions by the Greeks and Macedonians.
    If you play with the Alex.exe you will not see any invasions so early on.

Have fun!

Thank you all for the information. In may current campaign I've seen only one naval invasion. Belgaes was banished from their lands on the North of Galia by Suebi at the begining of the campaign. But then, 30 years later, they invaded that lands by sea and reclaimed them. And I have one more question, is it safe to change .exe during current campaign? Or it will cause CTD?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Carthago_Nova View Post
    Thank you all for the information. In may current campaign I've seen only one naval invasion. Belgaes was banished from their lands on the North of Galia by Suebi at the begining of the campaign. But then, 30 years later, they invaded that lands by sea and reclaimed them. And I have one more question, is it safe to change .exe during current campaign? Or it will cause CTD?
    You cannot change exe during the campaign if you are using disks, it will not start let alone ctd, I don't know about steam as don't use it. but you can if you are using a "nocd" version, at least it does for me tho I don't understand why
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 17, 2018 at 04:18 AM. Reason: typo and update
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    You cannot change exe during the campaign if you are using disks, it will not start let alone ctd, I don't know about steam as don't use it. but you can if you are using a "nocd" version
    I'm using nocd version, because there were a lot of troubles with steam one. So it's absolutely safe to change exe during current campaing, as I understood. Sounds good, I will try it. It's too quiet on Sicily and Sardinia. And I even will broke my alliance with Carthage because of this ( I thought it wasn't fare to make war with them while I was able to use fleet and they were not). Thank you very much for your answer.

I'm using nocd version, because there were a lot of troubles with steam one. So it's absolutely safe to change exe during current campaing, as I understood. Sounds good, I will try it. It's too quiet on Sicily and Sardinia. And I even will broke my alliance with Carthage because of this ( I thought it wasn't fare to make war with them while I was able to use fleet and they were not). Thank you very much for your answer.
    You're welcome, could you let me know if it works for you? as it may not work for everyone. As a matter of interest I have naval invasions occurring in my campaigns, not frequently but they do happen, BI exe seems to be best
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 17, 2018 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typo

You're welcome, could you let me know if it works for you? as it may not work for everyone. As a matter of interest I have naval invasions occurring in my campaigns, not frequently but they do happen, BI exe seems to be best
    I will write here how it works. Besides I'm most interested in saving game's stability (I have not a single CTD during my 67 year campaign on Alex.exe) and AI's agressive and rather smart behavior. He really tough in tactics on the strategic map. He recovers his troops, keeps his towns well protected and tries to deblockade besiged towns as soon as it possible with all available forces.

I will write here how it works. Besides I'm most interested in saving game's stability (I have not a single CTD during my 67 year campaign on Alex.exe) and AI's agressive and rather smart behavior. He really tough in tactics on the strategic map. He recovers his troops, keeps his towns well protected and tries to deblockade besiged towns as soon as it possible with all available forces.
    ALX exe has a better AI and Generals appear less likely to suicide charge, unit formation seems better, especially philangitai, BI seems a bit more aggressive especially from barbarian factions and gives the advantage of shieldwall, swim units & hording, if you have not already done this I suggest you try sinuhet's AI battle formation which in my opinion is the best, it's almost intelligent...I also use less emergency & less garrison script and I play on H/VH difficulty. I have done a few Let's Play's too, you can check out my youtube channel if you like(the link is in my signature below) it's only a small channel and I'm not a great player but I have fun
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 17, 2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo

ALX exe has a better AI and Generals appear less likely to suicide charge, unit formation seems better, especially philangitai, BI seems a bit more aggressive especially from barbarian factions and gives the advantage of shieldwall, swim units & hording, if you have not already done this I suggest you try sinuhet's AI battle formation which in my opinion is the best, it's almost intelligent...I also use less emergency & less garrison script and I play on H/VH difficulty. I have done a few Let's Play's too, you can check out my youtube channel if you like(the link is in my signature below) it's only a small channel and I'm not a great player but I have fun
    Oh yes, AI tries to keep general away from a battle. I've fixed EDU file a bit for making battles more impetuous (I've reduced all unit's deffence by 50% exept Generals, just for saving AI general from suicide). And as result more than in 50% of battles AI doesn't loose Genetal at all. It makes battles extremely hard and unpredictable. In your case it will be a tremendous challenge on VH difficlulty . I also prefere to play without any kind of interface (map, flags, unit panel and pause). It's so immersive when during 5-6 stack battle with eighteen thousand of men you hardly can understand whether your guys winning or not and even where they are at all. Sometimes it happens that I completely sure that my reinforcements are getting close from rear to rescue us all, but few minutes later I realise that guys are not from my brave VIII Legio Avgusta, and they have beards and they are damn gauls.

- Do you know what is happening?
    - No, I don't.

From the dialog between Octavian and Mark Antony during the The Battle of Philippi "Rome" 2007

I love Roma Surrectum for such a moments.

P.S. I've subscribed to your chanel. Going to watch your RS II playing

I also prefere to play without any kind of interface (map, flags, unit panel and pause).
    I have done this too occasionally but would not for an LP.

It's so immersive when during 5-6 stack battle with eighteen thousand of men you hardly can understand whether your guys winning or not and even where they are at all.
    Who built your computer? NASA?

- Do you know what is happening?
    - No, I don't.
    From the dialog between Octavian and Mark Antony during the The Battle of Philippi "Rome" 2007
    - If you need to urinate, now would be the time

P.S. I've subscribed to your chanel. Going to watch your RS II playing
    Thank you
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM.

Who built your computer? NASA?
    Not at all. I have rather average one. But It works. I merely don't use enhanced vegetation, it makes my PC suffer. My personal rerord is about 17 thousand, it was the battle for Arveri's capital. I was using max garison script and they conveyed two full armies to beat me up. A bit more than 9 thousand against my full 8th Legion Augusta with a lot of auxiliaries, about 8 thousand in total. As result I have lost both gererals , and about 80% of army, rather Pyrrhic I must admit (By the way, I tryed to replay this battle later just for fun, and was crushingly defeated. AI's revenge)

As I promised. I tried to change the exe file to BI.exe while playing the ALX.exe campaign, but unfortunately this didn't work. During the loading of any of my ALX saves the game came back to mailn menu.

As I promised. I tried to change the exe file to BI.exe while playing the ALX.exe campaign, but unfortunately this didn't work. During the loading of any of my ALX saves the game came back to mailn menu.
    That's strange isn't it? on reading your reply I have tested this again using nocd and it works for me, in the pics you will see the BI has "swim capability" but no "very good stamina" for the Celtic swordsmen and in the ALX it has "very good stamina" but no "swim capability". These are both from the same campaign, check each armies unit order and you will see they are exactly the same, the year is the same and so to the money total remaining, all deliberately done to verify the best I could

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALX ,exe.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	352662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BI .exe.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	352663
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 18, 2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo

That's strange isn't it? on reading your reply I have tested this again using nocd and it works for me, in the pics you will see the BI has "swim capability" but no "very good stamina" for the Celtic swordsmen and in the ALX it has "very good stamina" but no "swim capability". These are both from the same campaign, check each armies unit order and you will see they are exactly the same, the year is the same and so to the money total remaining, all deliberately done to verify the best I could

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALX ,exe.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	352662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BI .exe.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	352663
    Something strange has happened. After my manipulations with exe file I obtained problems even on ALX.exe. CTD after battle and before battle, bug with family tree et cetera. So I reinstalled my game and miracle happened. Almost immidiately I got Carthagenian full stack invasion to Sardinia, and then few turns later another one. Macedonianians invaded Crete. And this is only what I could see. (I didn't use toggle_fow). During secund Punic which Rome has at the begining of the campaign, I didn't have any Carthage invasions at all. Thus my game has awaken