Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! NTW Does Not Start Up

Default PLEASE HELP!!! NTW Does Not Start Up

Napoleon Total War(NTW).
    NTW does not start. On steam it says running for maybe 2 seconds then fails to launch. I have a quite a well up to date system that has far more power than required to play this game. I have tried everything from completely re-installing the game (5 Times) and deleting all old files, running it different compatablities modes. Run as admin, also does not work. I have also tried fixing registry issues, via CCleaner. Moreover, I find that when I validate the game files, through Steam, It always says there is 1 file that will be recovered, I have validated it 7 times now and it keep saying the same.

Usually on steam, when you launch a game it does DirectX set-ups for that game, however, NTW does not reach that stage. I have predicted that something in that area might be the issue, however, I cant say for sure.

I have also noticed in the 'Napoleon' folder (this is the folder via going through the 'AppData' - 'Roaming' - 'The Creative Assembly') that there is only 2 folders the 'logs' and 'Scripts'. These 2 folders are completely empty, and I'm absolutely sure there should be more folders in them. Weather that's part of the issue, I don't know.

I will attach my DXDIAG.

Please help me, I absolute love this game and have put hundreds of hours into it and I would love to keep playing it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!! NTW Does Not Start Up

Hello welcome to the forums.
    I'm not quite sure of how to solve this problem, but will try to find a solution, or perhaps someone more expert will come along with a solution.
    Your graphic card is "hybrid" do you have the latest driver?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by SirJBBurton View Post
    I have also noticed in the 'Napoleon' folder (this is the folder via going through the 'AppData' - 'Roaming' - 'The Creative Assembly') that there is only 2 folders the 'logs' and 'Scripts'. These 2 folders are completely empty, and I'm absolutely sure there should be more folders in them. Weather that's part of the issue, I don't know.
    Welcome to TWC!

I suggest that you uninstall NTW and delete the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon folder then reinstall NTW outside of the UAC-protected C:\Program Files(x86) folder and try to launch NTW without installing mods.

It might be necessary to reinstall Steam too if you tried the above but still have an issue.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I suggest that you uninstall NTW and delete the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon folder then reinstall NTW outside of the UAC-protected C:\Program Files(x86) folder and try to launch NTW without installing mods.

It might be necessary to reinstall Steam too if you tried the above but still have an issue.
    Good points Leonardo!

Indeed if the normal re-validating process in the Steam options of the game doesn't work anymore properly, then it can be helpful to delete the AppData\Roaming\TCA\Napoleon folder and the normal installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war manually if they contain still content after the normal de-installation process.

Also another sometimes helpful hint is, to clear the download cache of Steam itself. Via Steam > Settings > Download > Clear download cache. This fixes sometimes unexpected behaviours and issues with re-installing games, re-validating games and also issues with downloading mods from the Steam workshop.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Also, I tried not to install in C:
    C: is my ssytem disk, and I install games on another drive.

This way, if I have to format my system and reinstall, the steam games are still pre installed on the other drive, and it's much faster to "reinstall" them than if I had to download them again