Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [2017 Modding Awards] Discussion Thread

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: [2017 Modding Awards] Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I can't see why being in the Committee should prevent people to be nominated and even rewarded?
    You know how it is in RL when it comes to competitions, right. If one is a in jury then one cannot participate in a competition.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think you misunderstood how the Committee works. Let me expand a bit.
    Prior to the nominations, the Committee checks all TW games and tag the eligible one. If there's a doubt about a mod, then the member who has found it submit it to the others to get their opinion. Basically, the decision is not taken by one. On top of that, there's a Herx, currently Flinn, who has the final word and ensure that everything is done correctly.
    Once the lists of eligible mods/submods are done, the Hex in charge creates the nominations threads. Again, the Committee checks them and discuss internally if there's a doubt.
    Once that phase is completed, the Hex in charge makes the polls. TWC members vote. Award Committee members vote as well but like any other member. We don't discuss about our personal votes as it is not permitted (for obvious reasons).
    Once the voting phase is over, the Hex in charge publishes the results.

As you can see, the risk of influencing the process is quite low. Most (to not say all) the members of the Committee are quite well known among these forums to be trusted. Our main duty here is checking and organising. Restrain the Committee rights as you suggest will just make harder to find volunteers to help IMO.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Thanks for the commitee to host the modding awards (as i know that it's not always easy to do so)! And congrats to all winners (especially Miguel_80, because oh lord, he has a lot of mods)!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    You know how it is in RL when it comes to competitions, right. If one is a in jury then one cannot participate in a competition.
    there's a reason if it is called committee and not jury

I think that Lifth explained that to you very well, if you still have doubts, please feel free to PM me about

edit: as I'm here, I think it is better to reiterate one, fundametal, concept: without a committee, there won't be any awards. The members of the committee dedicate a lot of time (some of them a HUGE amount of time) to check the feedbacks from the old editions, talk about rules/categories, list mods, check them, check nominations, create arts, polls and bla bla and they do this absolutely for free, with no other reward than few rep points. It's not very kind to imply that they might be biased, and it would be always better to inform oneself before posting those things, especially before insisting twice in two different places even after one already got an answer.

Just to expand further: to be effective the committee needs the participation/input of active modders; going by external consultation is simply impossible, it would take too long and would in any case not change the fact that someone can accuse the committee of being influenced. The role of the committee is that of putting out fair rules to grant a competition as fair as possible; in the last few years, due to reduced mods and little interest (in general) it has been harder and harder to even run the competition (in 2016 we had to run two competitions, 2014 and 2015, in one year, because no one bothered to run 2014 awards during 2015) and some of the committee members are here since then, and have dedicated so much work and efforts to run them and make them fair, that pretending that they would renounce to have the opportunity to participate themselves does not make sense at all, even more if one considers what their actual job within the committee is.

edit 2: here is the Eagle Standard's article about the results of the 2017 Modding Awards; if anyone wants to express their appreciation to the MA Committee, you can find the usual small green "+" buttons to do so!
    Last edited by Flinn; July 16, 2018 at 03:59 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    there's a reason if it is called committee and not jury

I think that Lifth explained that to you very well, if you still have doubts, please feel free to PM me about

edit: as I'm here, I think it is better to reiterate one, fundametal, concept: without a committee, there won't be any awards. The members of the committee dedicate a lot of time (some of them a HUGE amount of time) to check the feedbacks from the old editions, talk about rules/categories, list mods, check them, check nominations, create arts, polls and bla bla and they do this absolutely for free, with no other reward than few rep points. It's not very kind to imply that they might be biased, and it would be always better to inform oneself before posting those things, especially before insisting twice in two different places even after one already got an answer.

<snip>

edit 2: here is the Eagle Standard's article about the results of the 2017 Modding Awards; if anyone wants to express their appreciation to the MA Committee, you can find the usual small green "+" buttons to do so!
    Fair enough.

As for rewarding those people in the modding committee.

How about they get a special "<year> Modding Committee Award" or similar after let say two annual modding awards in a row or one get that when a member in the committee have won one modding category after one annual year?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

I already thought about a small award to reward long term committee members, but it's on hold for now; basically, it's not a curial award but a staff one, even if some members are not staffers and therefore it looked a bit petty to me that the Awards Hexer (me at the moment, even if such position does not exist, just to mention...) would be the only one deciding if one was up or not for an award related to being part of said committees.. I've not abandoned the idea yet and I will probably make it like "for anyone who partake in minimum 5 awards committee, either Member or Modding ones", because I want to reward continuity (every committee member get a good rep reward from the Hex, nothing special but certianly something + a bit of rep from regular membership).

However, your point has been registered and we will think about it; I don't expect to find a solution different from what we do today, but anyways we will discuss about the possibility to have a committee of non modders or inactive modders (tell me how we convince them to come back, then ...)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Greetings, dear fellows!!

Thank you for the award to Rome Total Realism Anabasis III. Thank you for this great forum community. Thank you for the great moderators and modders that this community is hosting, and also thank you for make me feel be part of this. How always I said, If I can make anything for anyone here, please let me know about that.

Kindest Regards

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

Blog Entries

Moved from the Open Discussion thread; normally such remarks would be ignored, but this one must be answered, because it is utterly false.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Modders with knowledge of modding of actual titles are essential for a commitee, which should make a choice between actual mods.

The actual commitee has nearly no one.
    You have probably missed the fact that ALL the committee members (me excluded) are modders, well respected ones I would say, and that some of them are actually Opifexes? The committee changes over the years (depending on availability of volunteers) and I can grant you that during my time (2014 till today) we had modders for all the titles involved in the various commitees; plus there are always comment threads available for people to give their inputs, so your point does not really stand I'm afraid.
    If you mean that the committee should take the role of directly chosing the winners, well it is noted now, but I don't see it as even remotedly possible, as the Modding Awards were, are and always will be a community effort and activity (at least as long as I will be directly involved).

You mentioned in another comment that the reason why the Modding Awards are less and less successfull is because of negative comments about "new titles"... apart from the fact that I fail completely to see the logic behind this statement, have you seen the ES Article about the latest MA? Have you noticed that Rome 2 got the most number of votes this year? Once again, your point does not stand.

If there's an issue with negativity, it is a general one, either towards titles or TWC or whatever; instead of commenting to just create anymosity and to smash the same concepts over and over, people should be coming with ideas (examples, new categories for the latest titles or, new general categories, or even better, how to incentivate people to nominate mods, etc) and sensible proposals. There are barely two pages in the Discussion Thread, and I had to post 4 warnings and delete a handful of off topic posts ignoring the warnings, and this says it all I guess
    Last edited by Flinn; July 25, 2018 at 05:43 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

And how much have modding experience of a newer titel like Rome II? Thats my point. If you aren´t interested in modding newer titles, how you will get news from new mods in this area? I ´m personally not interrested in anything related to Med II or RTW, so i haven´t voted in this area, because i haven´t enough experience there.

Personally i think the awards are outdated, because TWC isn´t competitive enough in comparison to Steam or ModB. TWC should focus on becoming competitive again. The TWC Award has only some value on TWC.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

And how much have modding experience of a newer titel like Rome II?
    A lot, considering that Radiuos was also a member of the committee back in the day and he was the first one to push over Rome 2. Look, I get your point, but pretending to say that the fault is of the committee, while without the committee there won't be any award at all, is cheap. We need to get positive ideas, not empty critics.

Personally i think the awards are outdated, because TWC isn´t competitive enough in comparison to Steam or ModB. TWC should focus on becoming competitive again. The TWC Award has only some value on TWC.
    This is absolutely possible and for the most I agree with you, that's why I opened a Discussion Thread, in order to get ideas to relaunch the awards. This is not really the place to discuss the entirety of the issues that are affecting TWC (compared to the past I mean) and in any case I like to tend the lands I've been assigned to.. no one can do everthing by himself, and if I'm up to manage the Awards (either these ones or the Member ones) I'll do my best to improve them and make them more interesting, no matter the environment around them.
    In other words: if one is believing that TWC is doomed (we have listened to this word for the last few years now), then I assume that he would not be really concerned about anything related to it; on the other side, there's still a lot we can do and plenty of room for people to help and contribute (either here or anywhere else at TWC) and I will always welcome warmly, befriend and respect anyone who wants to do so.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OPEN DISCUSSION: the renewal of the modding awards

Wow big congrats to Miguel this year, I was rather unaware of his mods before but now I’ll definitely have to give them a go now

(Now I can take this thing off my signature)
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    In my opinion all ideas for a new committee's choice award etc. are good and have their place but they will not help winning back publicity.

As I said earlier whenever the modding awards nomination starts this shall be the last date when a mod should have been published because who can honestly remember if a mod has been published before 5 or 6 months? (except for the modder himself).
    This is obviously not needed when the awards are in January.
    It's not as easy as you think... Even if the award is in January, you could be sure you don't include mod published after the year of the award... but you sill have to check it was published during the year. For 2017, if the mod was published in Jnaury, you still ahve to go back 12 months sonner (more thant the 5/6 you are speaking about).

Beside, in my case with the comitee, I prepare the list of elligible mod the last day of december/first days or January. So it won't change much.

What could be useful is "force" the modders to included in the OP of their mod a clear "change log" with release date. So we don't have to browse dozens of pages in a thread to identify changes.

Something like this for example.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...pdates-history

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    As I said, I think we have two choices
    - We try to make people more interested in the wardsa, by opening it to mod which are NOT at TWC (SteamOnly for exemple), and we advertise everywhere, to make people come back here
    - Or we try the opposite way, proposed by Jake Armitage, where you can publish mod here only and make it a kind of eltie club. But I fear this solution would be suicidal: moddrs will probably want the Steam coverage, and players are likely to go to Steam to find mods, and not come here... So it's likely to lead to a faster diying of CFC.

What could be done is a kind of mix:
    - Mod posted on Steam for easier / broader upload
    - But with a link to TWC for all the discussion and feedback.
    Yes, most probably it is a relatively quick suicide, but i do like artistical/poetical deaths.
    Without considering the fact that I am a perfect no one here, my "advice" about thinking something radical (and not advertisement-type to get some "I won" stickers) might work.
    From my pov there shouldn't be any complex mod uploaded in steam, TWC only. And to download anything, you must login.
    In steam you buy games, dlc and download official patches. In TWC you mod and get mods. Period.
    Since modding is a private thing, it requires a private/free forum, not a goliath corporation site. It's in the own nature of modding.
    Competitions will be more felt, imo. And remember to PM some weeks before for these kind of things.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; July 26, 2018 at 08:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Moved here 3 posts from the OPEN DISCUSSION thread; come on gents, how many times do I have to say that that thread is for ideas and nothing else? If you can't refrain from commenting on specific ideas/proposal, please at the least use this thread instead ... Thanks!

Last edited by Flinn; July 26, 2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post

P.S: From what I have read in other comments that I do not agree with:
    This is a website that is related to Assembly Kit (I do not know the current degree of relationship), and if they ask me for a "non-steam" link, I will deny it. It would encourage piracy and go against CA. It's normal for the modders to have the Steam link for the download of the mod. Upload it to a download website (mediafire, mega, etc...) would be like promoting piracy.
    I do agree with you, except, at least in my case. I have no idea how to add my personal mod in to the steam workshop. Just as you have mentioned, i did create a reddit post, with a link to TWC for more info and the download link.

Miguel, isn't it that adding a mod to say in my case to S2TW steam workshop, doesn't it has a max file size to add in the workshop? Because that's the only thing that holds me back of adding my mod to the steam workshop.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 30, 2018 at 02:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Again, had to move one more post from the OPEN DISCUSSION thread..
    Last edited by Flinn; July 30, 2018 at 02:12 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

A general thought about member participation; next time an Award is up and running, perhaps it would be possible to change the forum top emblem to an advertisment image [with logo and TWC mentioned worked into it if needed] and make it linked to the award page(s)?
    Thus it would be at top of each forum page for the limited duration of the Award (and I do think it should be just for the main voting period), eye catching and 'global' with no need for opening of manual threads or manual posts across the board.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

^ Yea something like that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    A general thought about member participation; next time an Award is up and running, perhaps it would be possible to change the forum top emblem to an advertisment image [with logo and TWC mentioned worked into it if needed] and make it linked to the award page(s)?
    Thus it would be at top of each forum page for the limited duration of the Award (and I do think it should be just for the main voting period), eye catching and 'global' with no need for opening of manual threads or manual posts across the board.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That is fairly simple to do & yet will prove very effective.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234