Thread: Running Off the Battlefield

Default Running Off the Battlefield

I know this is possible, I've seen the AI do it.

How can I move my army out of the battlefield (without quitting the battle)? Basically, you move your troops outside the red line and they all retreat backwards and don't take any losses. I've seen this done when I ambushed a lone Faction Leader, is it only possible to do with generals?

Default Re: Running Off the Battlefield

There's a withdraw button in the HUD for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    There's a withdraw button in the HUD for that.
    The default hotkey is also "W".

Just press Ctrl + A to select all your units, then press W. If you dont issue any new orders, all units will now be running to the nearest exit-line and try to save their sorry asses .

Is it possible to withdraw from as many battles as you like in a single turn? I mean, if someone attack me, can I bombard them with arrows, javelins and cannonballs, withdraw, and repeat if they attack me again? That would make horsearcher armies extremely devastating on defence...

no, you can only withdraw once per turn per army.

You can only withdraw if movement points will allow. You can't if you're besieged or trapped on an island with no offshore navy to hand either.
    Let them hate me, provided they respect my conduct. - Tiberius Caesar

crap! A cheesy strategy was forming in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by caine View Post
    Is it possible to withdraw from as many battles as you like in a single turn? I mean, if someone attack me, can I bombard them with arrows, javelins and cannonballs, withdraw, and repeat if they attack me again? That would make horsearcher armies extremely devastating on defence...
    Horse archer armies will devaste an opposing army regardless of whether or not they withdrawl You just need to position them right and use a lot of micromanagment. And after your horse archers run out of ammo, just charge in. Granted, this usually works a lot better if you have at least a couple units of Heavy Cavalry thrown into the mix as well!

Veritas's Avatar Civis

Also if I'm not mistaken your general will get some pretty crappy stats if you are withdrawing all the time. Stats that will drastically lower the moral of your soldiers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd like to think that I'm not...

Last time I assaulted an Portugese castle. During the battle I saw that all my artilery almost run out of ammo, so I told them to withdraw from battle using the W key. Although they all withdrew peacefully, and the enemy didn't sally, I still lost the battle with 18 casulties, and my army no more besiege this castle.
    Is there any way to get out of an assault castle battle without any casulty? (If I quit the battle, or have ammo run out the battle end with a defeat and some casulties too)

Quote Originally Posted by Praetoria View Post
    Last time I assaulted an Portugese castle. During the battle I saw that all my artilery almost run out of ammo, so I told them to withdraw from battle using the W key. Although they all withdrew peacefully, and the enemy didn't sally, I still lost the battle with 18 casulties, and my army no more besiege this castle.
    Is there any way to get out of an assault castle battle without any casulty? (If I quit the battle, or have ammo run out the battle end with a defeat and some casulties too)
    I'm kind of confused, but let me try to explain. If you never initiate an attack on the city and the enemy never comes out to attack you, you will win the 'siege' without a battle and the city will become yours. If you decide to attack and end up losing the battle your siege will have to start over.

I used the white flag button to great lengths in RTW.

I'd have half my army as jav throwing horsemen or archer horsemen, then I would just retreat them if they got caught after they ran out of ammo. And your enemy is ready to get slaughtered by the rest of your forces.

Tiro

If I have to attack a fortress or large city or something scary with a large garrison, I will usually make an artillery army (with just a few inf/cav units as a formality) and attack. I destroy some walls and towers, but use the majority of my ammo taking out the units to go to defend the breaches. If I get some good accuracy, I can sometimes take out 30-40% or more of their army. Then, move your men back to the red line, THEN hit withdraw. If you withdraw them close to the castle, the enemy might sally and surprise you. Then attack next turn with just a little artillery and the bulk of your assault force, and sue the arty to take out more troops and walls/towers, and move in, and all of a sudden you outnumber them 2-1 and they have no walls or towers left. I know it's cheap, and I try not to use it too much, but what can I say?